✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Up&Up

getithom

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have high expectations for this song given Coldplay's history with closing tracks (not including hidden tracks):

Everything's Not Lost

Amsterdam

Twisted Logic

Death And All His Friends

Up With The Birds

O (Fly On)

All of these are spectacular songs and end the album on a high note (Especially when considering the last two albums whose closing tracks were generally well received by all fans). Also, it'll likely be the last track from Coldplay for a couple of years (considering the talk of a hiatus after AHFOD) so I would expect them to end with a banging track.

On another note, the track title reminds of X&Y because of the ampersand and also reminds me of Up With The Birds because of the "Up". Maybe it'll be an UWTB pt. 2? I'm imagining a song that builds faster and faster like a rocketship to propel the listener "Up&Up" into outer space, finally ending with a quiet, slower outro (piano) as the listener floats off to some far away destination.

Since Everything's Not Lost, there has never been a bad closer. Some I like more than others of course, but they are consistently some of the band's best work, and it always astounds me how they're able to do that. (And the same can be said for their openers too!) But since Viva, I've noticed their album closers seem to represent the theme of the album rather than the sound, you know? As much as I love Twisted Logic, Amsterdam and Everything's Not Lost, they close the chapter rather than work with it.

Take Up With The Birds for example. Mylo Xyloto was the band's first real attempt at rock-pop, and for the most part, that's what the album is from beginning to end. But Up With The Birds doesn't end with pop, it ends with a salute to what was being said since HLH: life goes on. The song could have easily been a loud, DLIBYH-type closer, but it wasn't. Viva did the same, and so did Ghost Stories. I'm beyond ecstatic for Up&Up solely for the potential it has. We all know this album is going to be vibrant and full of life, but that doesn't mean every song will be. Coldplay loves life, and I would bet this is what the final song is going to be about.

Maybe it'll be an UWTB pt. 2? I'm imagining a song that builds faster and faster like a rocketship to propel the listener "Up&Up" into outer space, finally ending with a quiet, slower outro (piano) as the listener floats off to some far away destination.

:awesome::awesome:

I don't even like Noel that much but wow I'm excited af.

Same here! I think Noel Gallagher is one of the most overrated musicians out there (don't get me wrong, I love Oasis) but this collab has got me so excited. I don't know how I'll listen to the whole AHFOD without skipping to this song.