✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[2015-11-21] TIDALXCOLDPLAY Presented by KROQ (Tonight 20:30 LA, 04:30 UK)

Okay. Yeah. This is very T-Swift. Holycows. This could have been on 1989. Minus the guitar solo---no doubt.

So who is the guy they're getting back at. :laugh3:

I don't see it at all. :no: I've heard every single from that album and the only thing that comes close is the first minute or so of percussion between this and Blank Spaces and even that's a stretch to me.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It certainly is pop' date=' It's just very good pop.[/quote']

Taking another listen, you're right in a way, it's a tad bit poppy. But it definetely has Oldplay influences in it, which completely distracted me from the pop side of it ;)

When I looked back at how long it was' date=' I thought, "wait, did they add X Marks the Spot to the end and i didn't notice it?!?!" But, no, that was one long, epic song![/quote']

It's crazy. I didn't hear him "spitting rhymes through a vocoder" or anything so I knew they didn't throw in X Marks The Spot. It's seriously crazy how long the song is....

I cried when they played Fix You and I just loved Up&Up! It was gorgeous. Especially The Piano.

Fix You was so beautiful, I have to agree. Up&Up is so epic I couldn't take in the best of it all in one go. I'm going to have to listen to it again.

b-but how do you manage to stuff so many layers into one song aND STILL MAKE IT REPETITIVE?!

My headphones are alright, I've got Sony Bass headphones, I hear a lot of the layers.

As usual I try to actively listen to each of the lines and identify them individually (takes a few listens of course :P), then eventually after I have found all / most of the lines, they all combine in my head when the music is played into a version that resembles "definitive"... That way none of their music gets boring. AOAL is just bursting with variations between the parts / lines... I'll have to post my musical highlights for this song in the AOAL thread sometime - it looks like a blissful surf between the lines of sound :D If you're looking to just relax / melt into the sound, it will be too "noisy" / boring as it's not immediately easy to untangle without some attention

One thing which I don't like is, Coldplay was always a band with extremely strong lead melodies (which is very important for me personally to love a piece of music). Miss those melodies in all AHFOD songs known so far (except perhaps Amazing Day, which comes close to having a good melody).

That song has such a good non-floaty melody - it's a magnificent flourish / blossoming ballad rather than their Oldplay guitar melody atmospherics

I hope there's just one track on this album which is just Chris and an acoustic guitar. The upbeat songs are great but it's just common album making manners to put at least one down tempo track there to give us a break.

Well, Everglow should hopefully fulfill that hope, although he will be on piano instead of guitar

I'm enjoying the four tracks we've heard. Even Amazing Day is growing on me.

Fingers crossed Hymn for the Weekend isn't too poppy and X Marks The Spot isn't as shockingly bad as it sounds.

Out of the four, AOAL is by far the weakest imho. Amazing Day has grown a little bit on me too (I may actually like the studio version, who knows), and I am not quite sure about Up&Up yet (the electronic drumbeat really irritates me).

Have been looping and enjoying AHFOD for a few times now, though. I think for an upbeat, poppy song it's quite good and has some rock elements (sounds like a cross of HLH and DLIBYH).

I hope there's just one track on this album which is just Chris and an acoustic guitar. The upbeat songs are great but it's just common album making manners to put at least one down tempo track there to give us a break.

I hope for you they do one... otherwise I fear their "simple" ballad this album may be Amazing Day, judging by the epic sounds they are piling on!

As usual I try to actively listen to each of the lines and identify them individually (takes a few listens of course ), then eventually after I have found all / most of the lines, they all combine in my head when the music is played into a version that resembles "definitive"... That way none of their music gets boring. AOAL is just bursting with variations between the parts / lines... I'll have to post my musical highlights for this song in the AOAL thread sometime - it looks like a blissful surf between the lines of sound If you're looking to just relax / melt into the sound, it will be too "noisy" / boring as it's not immediately easy to untangle without some attention

I only scrutinize songs like this when I really like them, and try to find out why I like them so much. For Up&Up for example, I thought:

"Okay, it feels like we're already 5 minutes in and he's been singing the same thing for the entire time. Oh! A long guitar solo, nice!... wait, okay, yeah, already forgot the melody. Oh again, the same lyrics, but the choir is nic-OHMYGOD IT JUST LOOPS FOREVER, and then dies down, and drags itself on with the same repetitive pattern! ARRRGH"

Like, cut out the first half of the song, keep the nice intro, the nice middle, and cut the long ass choir repetitions in the end and reduce them to maybe 3.

At first I thought the stream was lagging because it all sounded the same to me, but it was just the song :|