✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

AHFOD Music Chart / Sales STATS & FACTS Thread

Sparky

Unbelievable!

To summarize:

Coldplay have beaten the Beatles' (the best band ever!!) record of consecutive debuts atop the UK Album Chart. Beatles had 6, Coldplay just acheived 7. Just a chart record at the end of the day, but it's The Beatles that they've taken a record away from. I thought Adele was going to keep them off the top. I would like to know the exact sales numbers.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i love adele i really do .. big fan but 25 is the Overrated album of the year

Not a fan of Adele or 25 but I will agree that the album is super overrated haha [emoji14]

Haven't got many positive things to say about her. Great singer but man is she overhyped.

Adele album is selling as it does because she´s been away forever. Thats my bet. Anticipation created a huge demand, hence the sales. And of course 21 was very popular and sold very well, so no wonder the follow-up would be anticipated. Its a pattern we´ve seen before with many artists :)

But back on track: congrats on the boys for this new amazing record ! :D

UK OCC Midweek Chart Thread: 2015

1 Adele - 25 (305.7k)

2 Coldplay - A Head Full of Dreams (217.7k)

???

Perhaps they are number one because of this:

based on sales of CDs, downloads, vinyl and other formats across Friday - Sunday.

Guest howyousawtheworld
I know, its just I dont get what people get so overexcited with Adele.

I gave 25 a listen, her voice range is the same throughout the whole record.

25...it's like Jaws 2. More of the same but less good than the previous one. Which begs the question...what's the point?

How'd they manage to sell more that MX and GS?? There's literally ZERO promo going on!

Genre of music (ie bigger audience listening to pop + traditional pop-rock fan base)? Social media? It is also Christmas time, and they are making a happy album that should work well for the season... Well-timed Superbowl announcement? Any casual fan / anyone who's even remotely interested and pays some attention to the News would have picked up that the band are performing at Half-time - then it's a quick Google search to find out they have a new album out, and a few more clicks to listen / preview the album... Also the Ellen show has aired in the US, no? They've been on the BBC in the UK a few times, and been at a few music events (award shows, X-factor, etc), where potentially people are already music fans... It has been quite strategic, although overall I was quite worried that they may not have generated enough hype to gun for the #1 debut record. I suppose there is also a ready fan base that may have been looking forward to a brighter album after GS chomping at the bit...

Adele's at number 1?

And yeah she's sold 5 mil in US...so sorry coldplay

I think most of us are looking for the UK debut where they have a chance at #1 and doing the Beatles' record... With the US, I think most of us are ok that they will debut at #2, as long as their long-term overall sales are ok - a few people think this will be buoyed by their scheduled Superbowl half-time appearance early next year... That will keep the album in the charts, and introduce the remaining vestiges of civilization who somehow haven't heard about Coldplay's new album to their music, and I'm sure will boost interest and sales.

I think most of us are looking for the UK debut where they have a chance at #1 and doing the Beatles' record... With the US, I think most of us are ok that they will debut at #2, as long as their long-term overall sales are ok - a few people think this will be buoyed by their scheduled Superbowl half-time appearance early next year... That will keep the album in the charts, and introduce the remaining vestiges of civilization who somehow haven't heard about Coldplay's new album to their music, and I'm sure will boost interest and sales.

Yeah overall I think the Super Bowl criticism or whatever actually worked with them not against them