✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

"Something Just Like This" - The Chainsmokers & Coldplay

Cheap music, trashy club sounds and catchy tunes that'll be forgotten in days. I'm quite disappointed with Coldplay really. Didn't knew they'd go for this direction to trash their band name just for the sake of cash and fame.

This is much better than a lot of other mainstream music today.

Don't freak out. This is The Chainsmokers ft. Coldplay, not the other way around. There is still hope for KEP.

Sorry, I wouldn't say they did this just for cash and fame.

• Like 3

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is much better than a lot of other mainstream music today.

Don't freak out. This is The Chainsmokers ft. Coldplay, not the other way around. There is still hope for KEP.

Sorry, I wouldn't say they did this just for cash and fame.

Well I don't know, but for me when a timeless band from the last decade is willing to collab with the hottest trash in the market right now, you can approximately see where they're heading to. Chainsmokers is so famous right now thanks to their 13 yo audience with ADHD that will and only like bouncy music. Don't you think Coldplay is trying to reach out to the new set of audience instead of moody adults that listens to Parachutes that doesn't generate much revenue? Well of course that's just my piece of cake you can disagree with.

• Like 1

At the end of the day...... This is a Chainsmokers produced track on a Chainsmokers album. I am torn because I despise the Chainsmokers as humans and am frustrated that an all around nice group of middle-aged Brits would collaborate with a couple of frat kids who started making EDM music to "get more pu**y". But I also can't help but love the pop appeal on this thing. And besides, its a win-win. Coldplay will now be in the Top-40 for months to come (hype for Kaleidoscope EP) and The Chainsmokers just expanded their brand and possibly, their acclaim for working with real musicians.

OLDPLAYER REVIEW/RANT: I feel the pain of all of you that miss the Viva and before days. I get it. But this has been our reality now arguably since PoC. Coldplay will collaborate whenever possible to make something they like. We got to get over that. It took me a long time to get over ASFOS, but when I did, something weird happened. I came to actually like it.

The Chainsmoker's are trash musicians and that is readily apparent here. The synth programming is amateur at best. I have buddies that make better EDM than this in their mom's basements in one night. On top of that, they can't sing. So they brought in Chris and I think it goes over nicely. This isn't Coldplay style vocals, but Chris doing a rather boyish EDM impression.

Lyrically, I don't really know what this message is. Girls don't want superheros and guys aren't superheros? I don't know. But Chris sings with typical passion and that gets me paying attention. I think his vocals are great.

Musically its a mixed bag. The EDM drop is utter rubbish. Boring chord progression. But towards the end of the track, I love the chord mix up and the bass swell. Its quite lovely, especially with the twinkly piano and added layers. The climax is great. I love Jonny's guitar solo and the added textures. Jonny has a tendency to save these mediocre one-offs (i.e. Atlas, Miracles). Not sure what Guy or Will add, other than the live show. Maybe production on the drum pads?

Do I want Coldplay to ever do a song like this again? Heck no. But it is another genre bender to their repertoire. Hopefully the EP will have more Oldplay fan service, but I am happy to have anything new from them. This track could have been a lot worse (imagine no solo) or it could have been a lot better (imagine no Chainsmokers). Anyway, rant over.

• Like 6

Well I don't know, but for me when a timeless band from the last decade is willing to collab with the hottest trash in the market right now, you can approximately see where they're heading to. Chainsmokers is so famous right now thanks to their 13 yo audience with ADHD that will and only like bouncy music. Don't you think Coldplay is trying to reach out to the new set of audience instead of moody adults that listens to Parachutes that doesn't generate much revenue? Well of course that's just my piece of cake you can disagree with.

And to think that Coldplaying was the last place where such stereotyping that would be described as "savage" or "edgy" wouldn't happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

#SomethingJustLikeThias is not the best Coldplay song but surely it's the best Chainsmoker song i have ever heard. Chris Vocals + Johnny Guitar chords are fantastic,even the lyrics are beautiful unlike other Chainsmoker songs which have cheap lyrics

• Like 3

I would really love to hear the song in ''Coldplay-style'' since it could potentially be a very good song. (Don't kill me for this) but the last part (when Jonny starts playing) is a bit Politik-esque, if you think of it without the Chainsmokers part haha.

And btw, I don't know if I want to know but I'll still ask, why is there so much hate towards The Chainsmokers? I'm not really up to date with everything they do/did//stand for? I only know them because of their hits, which I like to a certain extent.

• Like 1

I think it should be stated first and foremost that I am not a fan of the Chainsmokers. At all. Not as so-called "musicians", not as people. This kind of "music" isn't something Coldplay itself should be striving towards. That being said, as many have remarked, this isn't a Coldplay song. This is a Chainsmokers song, and while I'm disappointed in Coldplay for doing the collab, I think it just goes to show the power of Coldplay. This is probably the only somewhat good Chainsmokers song out there, simply because of Chris' voice and Jonny's guitar. It does help the sound tremendously, even as much as it sounds like the typical bland EDM beat and sound. This is not a direction I hope our boys turn to in KEP, but the good old days of Oldplay are over, the band has still made great songs after that, and they will continue to. This song will be popular in my headphones for a little while, then I won't listen to it for awhile. It's somewhat catchy, but as with most EDM, boring and doesn't capture the imagination. Coldplay, both old and new, can still do that and I have no doubts they will continue to on KEP. As long as this is the last of this kind of stuff, we're good.

• Like 4

I think I mentioned somewhere in the Kaleidoscope EP forum that I wish they will not release any music featuring or doing a collab with Chainsmokers. Well that didn't happen obviously but I have to say that it's okay (compare to Closer and Paris). The best part for me is Jonny's riff at the end (can anyone edit the song to emphasize that specific part? I'll appreciate that very much). An energetic and catchy pop/EDM tune. However, the downside of this collab is that it seems like it is a Chainsmokers and Chris song rather than the whole band. It's also quite repetitive (like most EDM songs), uber-cheesy and forgettable. Good to know that the song will be on The Chainsmokers' upcoming album instead.

OK the ADHD comment up here was unnecessary but other than that, I would agree with what lennyrott said about the target audience and the Chainsmokers.

I don't understand why, the older they get, the more Coldplay seem to try and appeal to a teen audience, and out of the teen audience more the "YOLO, I gotta party" subgroup most of all. They started out with deeper lyrics and music that shared their views on life and the world and appealed to especially the more sensitive, reflecting people, now they desperately want to have their songs played in clubs, it seems.

• Like 5

OK the ADHD comment up here was unnecessary but other than that, I would agree with what lennyrott said about the target audience and the Chainsmokers.

I don't understand why, the older they get, the more Coldplay seem to try and appeal to a teen audience, and out of the teen audience more the "YOLO, I gotta party" subgroup most of all. They started out with deeper lyrics and music that shared their views on life and the world and appealed to especially the more sensitive, reflecting people, now they desperately want to have their songs played in clubs, it seems.

What I'm kinda hoping right now is that with the end of the chapter with AHFOD and now especially this. That they've got the 'need to be popular' kinda thing out of their system now. As Ed Sheeran once said, 'now and then some dirty shit water will get out of the tap, but then that's passed and clean water comes out again'(rough quote :D) I mean, what happened, happened, this music is out there now. The band can do whatever they want to do, I respect that, but part of me hopes that they can move on now and just be them

• Like 1

@TheSavage_

I would hope that you are right, but I have to say I'm more pessimistic and wouldn't be so sure about that...after all, they (especially Chris) have said time and again the music they make reflects who they are now and (bewilderingly and sadly) where they always wanted to be.

And this is who they currently are, to the chagrin of many who loved their old music. But I think at least the latter statement is not true - I'm pretty sure the four people who wrote Parachutes, AROBTTH and X&Y would have laughed at their current output back then and not aspired to do that. It's not like they had a secret plan "Let's get famous by doing meaningful, emotional music so that we can then play EDM and synthpop for the rest of our lives". Or maybe, they had that plan and just have been pretending to us for 10 years. LOL, no.

I was liking the song quite a lot and was about to fall in love with it...but this morning as I was listening to it I suddenly remembered of some heartbreak i've had...and now I can't listen to the song anymore, it triggered me too hard. :| GUTTED is an understatement!

I'm desperately waiting for the EP now, haha!

• Like 1

Right on spot. I'm thinking about this for a while now. Hey, Coldplay is a massive, global band now so is this the way they want to stay relevant? I know it's essential for a band to explore new territories and discover/infuse new genres to keep the fans/people interested but to make this kind of music is baffling for me.

I guess what I'm really missing is the timelessness of their songs. When I heard Something Just Like This the first time, I was like "well this is okay" but then Clocks began to play in my phone and I suddenly remembered how deep and well-crafted their songs are before.

• Like 3

@TheSavage_

I would hope that you are right, but I have to say I'm more pessimistic and wouldn't be so sure about that...after all, they (especially Chris) have said time and again the music they make reflects who they are now and (bewilderingly and sadly) where they always wanted to be.

And this is who they currently are, to the chagrin of many who loved their old music. But I think at least the latter statement is not true - I'm pretty sure the four people who wrote Parachutes, AROBTTH and X&Y would have laughed at their current output back then and not aspired to do that. It's not like they had a secret plan "Let's get famous by doing meaningful, emotional music so that we can then play EDM and synthpop for the rest of our lives". Or maybe, they had that plan and just have been pretending to us for 10 years. LOL, no.

maybe it's Chris's premature but now timely mid-life crisis :P

• Like 1

I think the song would be much more pleasurable to listen to if they'd cut out the bland soulless eletronic beats and replace them with some rich, actual instruments including instrumental. To my ears, the refrain, the piece that they always put so much focus on, falls totally flat because it lacks about anything that makes it a solid MUSICAL piece. The only thing that carries me through this song is Chris's voice. The rest sounds like.. well. The catchy melody is there, but it's so cheaply done :/

• Like 8