✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Orphans (Official Video)

jc90

Out of 10, how would you rate the new Orphans music video?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Out of 10, how would you rate the new Orphans music video?

• Ewwww 1/10
    • Perfect 10/10!

One thing I noticed similar about Christmas Lights and this new era is that the beginning of Christmas Lights had that vinyl thing playing or whatever just like the new lyric vids do.

That's a really cool interpretation of the rotating parts in the video @shred, I never really thought about that before. It was definitely an interesting choice and one that grew on me after it happened a few times. Perhaps it also represents thinking about getting "drunk with their friends" again as the whole band is also jamming out in that room and IIRC the chorus lines up with those scenes as well.

• Like 4

The video is a wild emotional ride especially from a Coldplay fan's point of view. Wow. I absolutely adore Mat Whitecross for this.

It's an insane mess but it somehow makes so much sense. Watching the video for the first time got me very emotional but also made me realize how they are truly not holding anything back anymore - it feels exceptionally personal.

I think that's what makes the video stand out : it both carries the message of the song AND showcases and references the band in a very direct, band-to-fan, personal sort of way.

Ohmygod i have things to do but INSTEAD how about we take a look at each theme/sequence separately and highlight what's so great about each of them ?! Yes i'll do that :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

• Like 6

- Intro : 0.00 - 0.29 : Moses! :heart_eyes: It's so sweet and unexpected to hear him have this conversation with his father. It's so relevant as an introduction to the song though. Here you can already tell that the video is some kind of behind-the-scenes of the making of both the song and the video, as we will figure out later. Sweet and personal and relevant. And definitely the most Mat Whitecross of all their videos :joy:

- Mysterious dark place : 0.29 - 0.48 : ok WHAT is this place ? We need to turn into CSI mode and figure this out. It does feel like...an abandonned place of some kind ? ruins perhaps ? It looks like...it's a negative view... it has some form of stage and columns ?

I love hearing the acoustic version. I assume we will get to hear it again this era, perhaps through an acoustic session if they at some point decide to promote the album decently.

- Chris on the stairs : 0.49 - 1.28 : Acoustic version some more! This is a solid performance! I can't believe no one caught that. It wasn't even shot long ago, we were all on high alert...smh.. I read on Twitter that the place is most likely the stairs across from Madison Square Garden in NYC. And for once I approve of Chris' outfit :joy::heart_eyes:

- Acoustic but with the band : 1.28 - 1.58 : at this point the video starts feeling like it's a proper mess :joy:but it's so good to finally see the band together! It's interesting how they legit use footage from the studio and then a garden performance... it makes you feel part of the process... Obviously important to note the flowery shirt too...

- Band with dancers on the beach : 1.59 - 2.16 : this sequence looks so cool , I feel like it's too short! I wish we would have seen more of it, perhaps this sequence with the emails on screen, and another sequence without the emails ? The settings, the dancers, it looks really beautiful.

Now about the emails : as we know, these emails are actually emails exchanged between Mat, the team and the band regarding the video...Now that's something I would have never expected to see! They are quite interesting and would be definitely worth capturing... Some of them add meaning to the video and the song. One actually mentions how instruments used (in a later sequence) should look like instruments kids would have built from parts and weapons found in a bombed Aleppo street :sob::sob:

It's great to see that they genuinely took the topic seriously and went to great lengths to add cohesive, relevant details.

Also the scene on the beach has a nice Chris/Jonny moment and indeed catching Phil on his phone :joy:

- In the room : 2.17 - 2.35, 2.49-2.56, 3.17-3.24, 3.27-3.34 : brilliant idea! I'm sure there are quite a few interesting details in the room itself (for instance the poster that reads Cherubim seraphim). As this was brought up before, I think it meant to represent how your home is shaken because of the bombings... You would have expected this setting, in a normal video, to really be the main set, like, at least half of the song. It's cool that they didn't just use this.

I love the shots with the sunset light onto the room....Beautiful.

This one represents the song really well. Its upbeat energy is shown in the performance, in the dance and in the band's joyful expressions, and the severity of the lyrics is represented by the set itself. Brilliant. Many gif-able moments there :joy:

- Shadow Coldplay : 2.35-2.49, 2.56-2.59, 3.15-3.17, 3.25-3.26, 3.35-3.36 : and THAT's the part that made me cry... It may all be a coincidence, but this looks like a reference to a previous Mat Whitecross directed Coldplay video, Lovers in Japan (....actually quite a lot of the video feels like LiJ, could be interesting to list all the common points). The shots are absolutely gorgeous, and it also feels like a reference to the band's career... VLV, their early days (the sunflowers :sob: ), the birds (later days, MX, GS, AHFOD)...

- Set with band and protesters/dancers 3.00-3.14 , 3.36-3.46: that's perhaps my least favourite part, in the sense that I'm not especially fan of the aesthetics there (the juxtaposition of the black & white set, the characters in every corner and the flowers in the middle..a bit too much for me).

However it's another interesting part serving the message of the song. Here there are references to protests all over the world for peace, freedom and social justice, but also the instruments used by the band are made from weapons and things kids could find in the streets. It's a relevant conclusion, it carries a message similar to Mylo Xyloto : hope can grow from anywhere.

The BOUM BOUM KA drawings look very cool tho.

- Ending : Chris being Chris :joy: it's nice to show that to the world. This is a very humble ending and also does fit with the song somehow (as it demonstrates empathy).

Overall, the structure of the video is insteresting because it shows how the different sets have different purposes. It seems that some of them are mostly about the song and its meaning, while others seems very personal. It all feels so genuine and a truly interesting insight into the band that we've missed for so long. It's a mess but I love it :heart_eyes:

• Like 5
  • Wow 2

I asked Mat about the strange video from Orphans : [MEDIA=twitter]1188877903557251073[/MEDIA]

View: https://twitter.com/ThomasPhilibert/status/1188877903557251073

At first I thought it was an infra-red video (you know how drones with missiles have that infra-red camera) of the place that Chris plays the guitar.

But who knows. It could be just in infra-red view of a specific place where wars has happened.

• Like 1

Brilliant video! The middle section is so pretty and LIJ like. The birds are breathtaking. The room upside down effect really captures the upbeat mood!

The beach scenes are cool and I wonder if an alternate music video will be released with just that part.

We got some really cool studio easter eggs in the first minute, with Will's backing vocals being really clear, Jonny playing a mandolin (?), in addition to Chris on the acoustic of course.

BY THE WAY THIS MAY BE THE ONE COLDPLAY MUSIC VIDEO WHERE GUY AND JONNY SMILE!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

At first I thought it was an infra-red video (you know how drones with missiles have that infra-red camera) of the place that Chris plays the guitar.

But who knows. It could be just in infra-red view of a specific place where wars has happened.

Remember the leak on Coldplay.com ? it mentionned a performance in Amman, Jordan...This bit could have also been shot there, at the famous ruins site ?

So the mysterious shot in the dark has been revealed to have been in Central Park, NY, by Chris on a radio interview.

The video is so wholesome and made me appreciate the song more, although the contrast of the joyfulness of the music and their smiles etc contrasting with the dark, dark lyrics about a warzone still alienate me. I'd love to see an all-acoustic version.

• Like 3

@Coeurli wow, that's a really in depth look at the video! Appreciate it! I did especially like how the first half especially was kind of a shortened "behind the scenes" look at how the song was made essentially, which is something I haven't really seen in a music video before. No, it's not a "proper" "how it's made" inside look, but it manages to get much of the information across in such a small period of time, and manages to find its way into the first half of the video in a casual viewer-friendly format, which I think is a really cool idea. They even showed some of the emails which provide insight into just how much thought they put into this very well made music video!

we were all on high alert...smh

Except me. I only managed to become aware of the 2 singles after they were released and subsequently became amazed by them. Partially because I didn't expect to hear anything from them until late 2020 at the earliest, considering how busy they've been. And that I'd taken lots of time off from the forum, it was the perfect recipe to catch me by surprise in the best manner possible (I didn't even know through the forum, popped up in my YT feed :joy: which I find weird because for artists I follow my phone will send me notifs if they have any new material, so I'm surprised I never really got anything from that)

Now I see why there were no leaks :joy:

[MEDIA=instagram]B4IlUW2Au16[/MEDIA]

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/B4IlUW2Au16/?igshid=1ljticf5dgd11

I was thinking after I watched the premiere, that it is mind blowing to think of all these unassuming people walking by in the streets, unaware that they were being exposed to new Coldplay material that would make it onto a future album. Most of these poor people wouldn't have recognized this opportunity to say "hey guys look at me I got an inside look at new Coldplay material". They might realize it after the fact when they hear this on the radio (and lucky for them that this turned out to be the biggest hit thus far, so this is fairly likely) so they might be weirded out when they realize they'd definitely heard the tune before, then realize some guy played it when they were walking down the streets of NYC at 3am, and if they did some digging they'd find out it was a new song and someone somehow managed to know it before release (or they'd figure out that they unknowingly got a sneak preview of a new song right from the boys themselves! or they'd assume they went for the walk after the release, although 3 weeks is a pretty big time and depending on their life situation they may or may not be able to distinguish that). Then for those of those who truly realized what happened they would have considered that a cursed missed opportunity to leak the song or brag about being the first ones to hear it outside of the band and the producers themselves :joy:

Still I find it baffling that nobody noticed freaking Chris Martin in NYC. Yes it was a quiet 3am night but still, you think somebody would have recognized him. Maybe a reasonable person did and kept quiet about it, as unlikely as that is :joy: I guess sometimes leaks happen, sometimes not :/

Woah! Does this explain the flower reference in the projected sequence?? There is a flying reference for the birds and of course for fire/explosions.

Pretty amazing if that's the case.

[MEDIA=twitter]1188676580496691200[/MEDIA]

View: https://twitter.com/youngsneakypee/status/1188676580496691200?s=19

What I find to be "something else" is that somebody went through all the trouble of digging deep into the lyrics to really find out what they were about. Really some amazing symbolism in their lyrics, if you look for them, otherwise they just fade into the background, so they can cater to both the casual listener and the analyst. I wonder if Chris would come along and confirm this all. That would be really cool and I haven't seen such an in depth look at Coldplay lyrics in a long time. Considering the contrast of the poppy wrapper the song is in and the dark and devastating story the lyrics tell this is a very good place to start, I'd think. Wonder what the rest of the album will be like lyrically!

I asked Mat about the strange video from Orphans : [MEDIA=twitter]1188877903557251073[/MEDIA]

View: https://twitter.com/ThomasPhilibert/status/1188877903557251073

Tweet unavailable..... what did he say?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I found the full video of the garden perfomance of Oprhans which I could not find elsewhere (Coldplay's social media on shared a small clip of it):

Sounds really good in my opinion! And I gotta love that lovely little interaction at the end from Chris and Will.

Also here's the full BTS video of the mv. There's so many cut parts and choreography that they filmed! They really should release a director's cut of the video like some have said here.

• Like 2
  • Wow 3

So I found the full video of thegarden perfomance of Oprhans which I could not find elsewhere (Coldplay's social media on shared a small clip of it):

Sounds really good in my opinion! And I gotta love that lovely little interaction at the end from Chris and Will.

Also here's the full BTS video of the mv. There's so many cut parts and choreography that they filmed! They really should release a director's cut of the video like some have said here.

Wow, A, thank you so much, I will watch it IMMEDIATELY :grinning:

• Wow 2

So I found the full video of the garden perfomance of Oprhans which I could not find elsewhere (Coldplay's social media on shared a small clip of it):

It's so raw and intimate sounding, maybe there are some little mistakes here and there, but that's why I like it!

• Like 4

[ATTACH=full]9488[/ATTACH]

Can anybody figure out what’s showing in that part of the video?

In this scene I always think maybe that's the place the band is performing live later this month (Jordan)

and Chris is pre-testing the sound ambience there.

[Edit:] Okay seems to be confirmed it was filmed somewhere in a building at Central Park in NYC.

At 3:15

WILL: ''I fucked up in the 2nd chorus''

CHRIS: ''Don't worry about that, I fucked up in everything''

I love them so much :joy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Great find, thanks !

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Ooo! Thanks for that bts video.

It’s been awhile since I watch the music video but the part where the boys are in their photo shoot costumes and singing are not in the final video?

I think this is the part during the bridge where you can see their silhouettes.