🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

Feels Like I'm Falling in Love

On 6/22/2024 at 12:19 PM, Mr.Green said:

But with tracks like clocks and in my place

With those kind of tracks you could also fill a stadium, but they somehow choose not to

Agree. It's funny because AROBTTH was already on the path to arena/stadium rock, X&Y was full out arena/stadium rock and VLV even more so. To anyone who disagrees I'll just ask you respectfully to look at old video recordings of the Twisted Logic and VLV tour. Their Twisted Logic Tour set was so energetic it commanded entire large arenas and festivals like Glastonbury or Isle of Wight from the first to the last minute. The Viva tour set was even bigger and saw them transition to actual stadiums during the tour. Don't believe me, just watch!

10 hours ago, I ran away said:

The weak bridge is well spotted and something that bothers me about several of Coldplay's recent singles. Coldplay songs used to have great bridges and often develop into something entirely different over the course of a few minutes. Recent singles all seem to have a sort of empty-feeling bridge that doesn't introduce a new idea, and the final chorus doesn't have an entirely fresh element either, so it feels like some of these songs go nowhere and just repeat. And mind you, I'm not against repetition in principle, some of my favorite old Coldplay songs have tons of repetition in the lyrics, but it was always accompanied by an instrumental buildup or development, and I'm missing that in their recent output.

I agree on the weak bridge thing. The first listens I was like, really? Not even a change in chords or guitar riffs from our Jonny? It felt empty. It's such a shame that there isn't something extra's in the bridge. 

It just feels like they had to fill in the time and Chris decided it's fun to put some "ooooooh ohoh ooohs" in. Very creative... :wideeyed:  There's nothing wrong with those "ooohooooohs", he does it for decades and I like it. But at a certain point you'd like to hear something new, which finally happens in the last chorus when Jonny kicks with his great riff imo (reminded me of X&Y era immediately) and Will's drum later, Guy's bass lines finish it as a whole. Now it starts to have more Coldplay feel and them playing a song together imo. 

Anyway, I hope the reason they left variation out is because it's the lead single, in order to keep it (too) simple and easy for people to listen to these days. I'm glad it isn't a HFTW 2.0 or a SJLT 2.0!

Edited by Gideon_Mx
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Gideon_Mx said:

I agree on the weak bridge thing. The first listens I was like, really? Not even a change in chords or guitar riffs from our Jonny? It felt empty. It's such a shame that there isn't something extra's in the bridge. 

It just feels like they had to fill in the time and Chris decided it's fun to put some "ooooooh ohoh ooohs" in. Very creative... :wideeyed:  There's nothing wrong with those "ooohooooohs", he does it for decades and I like it. But at a certain point you'd like to hear something new, which finally happens in the last chorus when Jonny kicks with his great riff imo (reminded me of X&Y era immediately) and Will's drum later, Guy's bass lines finish it as a whole. Now it starts to feel like a real Coldplay song. 

Anyway, I hope the reason they left variation out is because it's the lead single, in order to keep it (too) simple and easy for people to listen to these days. I'm glad it isn't a HFTW 2.0 or a SJLT 2.0!

To not forget Jonny's E-Bow guitar, which is very interesting, love it! It's amazing Jon finally uses it since the last time they played Coloratura :laugh4: 

37 minutes ago, Gideon_Mx said:

It just feels like they had to fill in the time and Chris decided it's fun to put some "ooooooh ohoh ooohs" in. Very creative... :wideeyed:  There's nothing wrong with those "ooohooooohs", he does it for decades and I like it. But at a certain point you'd like to hear something new, which finally happens in the last chorus when Jonny kicks with his great riff imo (reminded me of X&Y era immediately) and Will's drum later, Guy's bass lines finish it as a whole. Now it starts to feel like a real Coldplay song. 

I remember way back in 2008 they were talking about the making of 42. They had written the first section and the final section, but there was a gap in the middle. So Chris told Johnny to fill it somehow, and he came back a few hours later with this weird-as-hell Radiohead style section. The result was one of Coldplay's finest and most creative songs. 

Nowadays when they're in that exact situation, Chris just fills it with "oooh!' and "lalalala". It's kind of bleak thinking of it like that. 

(The exception being getting a three minute long saxophone solo to fill up Arabesque. More of that kind of thinking please!) 

Edited by Famous Old Painter
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Famous Old Painter said:

I remember way back in 2008 they were talking about the making of 42. They had written the first section and the final section, but there was a gap in the middle. So Chris told Johnny to fill it somehow, and he came back a few hours later with this weird-as-hell Radiohead style section. The result was one of Coldplay's finest and most creative songs. 

Nowadays when they're in that exact situation, Chris just fills it with "oooh!' and "lalalala". It's kind of bleak thinking of it like that. 

He finds it too important apparently what people want to do at a concert... Singing along. So let's just add a "alalaloleeelooo"! So that everyone can sing along even if you're not a fan. But hasnt Chris done that already for many times? Perhaps it's about time to surprise and please (most of) the fans, like they did with Everyday Life.

For us Coldplay fans, it's not always what we want unfortunately. All we want (I think) is more interesting and creative songs from them that show in what they are good at! Let's hope Moon Music is a lot more interesting and less mainstream and has a few of those gems. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Couldn't agree more with some of the Viva-stan crew here. I've felt this way since MOTS but the simplicity in the production style ends up making parts of songs feel empty. To a casual listener, it may not matter. But for those of us who love the more full sounding Coldplay, it often feels like a huge missed opportunity on the bridges and outros. And I could be wrong, but I almost feel like the band would have more commercial success too. Coldplay has had hit singles with guitar solos, with horn sections etc. WHen a song is kind of sucked dry of what makes it exciting, a catchy chorus still isn't going to save it. 

I love pop music and what Charli XCX, Chappell Roan, Billie and Finneas and even what Harry Styles has done recently just sounds more rich and interesting in my opinion, on top of the incredble hooks. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, lennyrott1 said:

Couldn't agree more with some of the Viva-stan crew here. I've felt this way since MOTS but the simplicity in the production style ends up making parts of songs feel empty. To a casual listener, it may not matter. But for those of us who love the more full sounding Coldplay, it often feels like a huge missed opportunity on the bridges and outros. And I could be wrong, but I almost feel like the band would have more commercial success too. Coldplay has had hit singles with guitar solos, with horn sections etc. WHen a song is kind of sucked dry of what makes it exciting, a catchy chorus still isn't going to save it. 

I love pop music and what Charli XCX, Chappell Roan, Billie and Finneas and even what Harry Styles has done recently just sounds more rich and interesting in my opinion, on top of the incredble hooks. 

So you don't hear the big ass ending this song has with the big drums 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Benjod25 said:

So you don't hear the big ass ending this song has with the big drums 

The ending is the best part, but I don't want to listen to a song just to wait for the ending. But honestly not a big deal! It's just my opinion. Maybe I'll like it more in the future and I'm actually expecting to like it more in the context of the album. 

3 hours ago, Mr.Green said:

Havent listened to the track for a while now

Its 1 of there most forgettable singles in my opinion

Because the chorus is really weak.

On the contrary, I have listened to it a lot since it came out. Also, I didn't feel the chrous is the weak part I thought it was pretty good. The pre-chorus is the problem area.

I think Johny's riff in the final chorus is just one of his best, it sounds so good and gives the song more of a band feel. I like the song, nice synth sounds feels like john hopkins had something to do with it. Also you can hear something similar in the begining of One world, i think this electronic elements that remind me of Midnight(also Hopkins) will be a link to all of these new songs. This song will be more appreciated in the full album context i believe.

Also agree about a bit weak bridge and just to add that i was so happy to hear the final bit of the song , the la la lo part, it felt so true somehow, it felt like it came from inspiration and not by rational deccission like some here suggested. That is i think a great way to finish this song. Yes something is missing but maybe when we hear the whole thing it will all make sense. So looking forward to this new album after some weak songs on the last one like Humankind, that was formulaic in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Tarkovsky2 said:

Also agree about a bit weak bridge and just to add that i was so happy to hear the final bit of the song , the la la lo part, it felt so true somehow, it felt like it came from inspiration and not by rational deccission like some here suggested. That is i think a great way to finish this song. Yes something is missing but maybe when we hear the whole thing it will all make sense. So looking forward to this new album after some weak songs on the last one like Humankind, that was formulaic in my opinion.

Humankind is like a good song and that's it, cos it feels so forced..its like trying to be mylo number 2...it doenst felt natural at all.

That video brought new light to the song I think!

WOW.

Was not what I was expecting - where was the ferris wheel??😄 

The appearance of the band gave me GPASUYF feels. The only thing that was jarring was the quiet/fade out bit before the big chorus. Thought it was my audio playing up. Don't quite understand the purpose of that.