✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Random Coldplay thoughts...

alyssa

I want to tell you something, fellow Coldplayers. Whenever I hear the guitar sound in I Ran Away, I get this odd feeling as if I've heard that song a long, long time ago. And I have no idea why I get this feeling. As if it reminds me of something but I have no idea what. But it is highly improbable for me to have heard the song many years ago. I guess it is just my brain playing tricks on me, like a Deja-vu phenomenon. Curiously, it is the only Coldplay song that makes me feel like this.

Anyone ever experienced something similar ??

I do too... Could it be it has identical chord progressions to You Only Live Twice? That song has been around for much longer than Coldplay :laugh3:

Thanks for asking the question, I never would have made that link otherwise :)

Guest diogo_sg

If this has already been referred before, please inform me.

I was thinking about 42. The number, not the song. I think it's Chris's favorite number because that's how old Elvis was when he died. Since Chris has deep admiration for Elvis (Credo Elvem Etiam Vivere), I think this could explain his love for that number.

If this has already been referred before, please inform me.

I was thinking about 42. The number, not the song. I think it's Chris's favorite number because that's how old Elvis was when he died. Since Chris has deep admiration for Elvis (Credo Elvem Etiam Vivere), I think this could explain his love for that number.

I'm almost 100% it's inspired from Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy.

Guest diogo_sg
Read the book :smug:

Some other Coldplay things were inspired from it as well, like the title Don't Panic is a phrase from the book :D

Haha! Amazing. Thanks for the advice [emoji6]

Has anyone who listens to music on Spotify noticed that, in Spotify, Life in Technicolor from the VLVODAAHF album is Life in Technicolor ii shortened up a bit and not the actual instrumental version?....it really annoys me...

Has anyone who listens to music on Spotify noticed that, in Spotify, Life in Technicolor from the VLVODAAHF album is Life in Technicolor ii shortened up a bit and not the actual instrumental version?....it really annoys me...

Yes, I have. It's really annoying. Coldplayers enjoy both versions as well. Spotify should respect the instrumental version.

Yes, I have. It's really annoying. Coldplayers enjoy both versions as well. Spotify should respect the instrumental version.

Yeah my hypothesis is that non-fans looked for "life in technicolor" and didn't put the "ii" part, so they got mad when it wasn't what they were looking for haha

I do too... Could it be it has identical chord progressions to You Only Live Twice? That song has been around for much longer than Coldplay :laugh3:

Thanks for asking the question, I never would have made that link otherwise :)

Hm. I just listened to the original and I must say I'm pretty certain I've never heard it before (other than the Coldplay version during the Parachutes Era). What's more, I don't hear any similarities between the two songs. Are you sure they have the same chord progression ?

I guess it's more the guitar sound than the melody of I Ran Away that sounds familiar to me...

Hm. I just listened to the original and I must say I'm pretty certain I've never heard it before (other than the Coldplay version during the Parachutes Era). What's more, I don't hear any similarities between the two songs. Are you sure they have the same chord progression ?

I guess it's more the guitar sound than the melody of I Ran Away that sounds familiar to me...

You've never heard the original by Nancy Sinantra i.e. in the self-titled James Bond film? :o It's one of my early favorites... So many lovely Bond theme songs over the years - I like how many of them have that big sound with deep brassy voices!

Not exactly the same chord progression between I Ran Away and YOLT but the chord intervals are similar (high, low, high, low) at the beginning of both... Try playing the two songs together - the first 4 bars once the guitars / strings (ie actual non-percussion music) start :)

Btw which guitar line are you referring to - that dreamy, shimmery lead that Jonny plays right at the beginning?

You've never heard the original by Nancy Sinantra i.e. in the self-titled James Bond film? :o It's one of my early favorites... So many lovely Bond theme songs over the years - I like how many of them have that big sound with deep brassy voices!

Not exactly the same chord progression between I Ran Away and YOLT but the chord intervals are similar (high, low, high, low) at the beginning of both... Try playing the two songs together - the first 4 bars once the guitars / strings (ie actual non-percussion music) start :)

Btw which guitar line are you referring to - that dreamy, shimmery lead that Jonny plays right at the beginning?

I never watched James Bond and I ever only knew the Coldplay cover or You Only Live Twice, but I listened to the Sinatra version yesterday after your comment.

As for the guitar line, I don't refer to the single notes that shine through. I have very little knowledge of music but I think it is played by two guitars. I refer to the sound that starts 0:11 at and basically goes through to 1:03, and then reappears during the second verse. I wish I could explain it better. I can hardly tell how much I love that sound. It's gotta be the most awesome guitar sound out there.

[video=youtube;FSZEA1TVnL8]

I never watched James Bond and I ever only knew the Coldplay cover or You Only Live Twice, but I listened to the Sinatra version yesterday after your comment.

As for the guitar line, I don't refer to the single notes that shine through. I have very little knowledge of music but I think it is played by two guitars. I refer to the sound that starts 0:11 at and basically goes through to 1:03, and then reappears during the second verse. I wish I could explain it better. I can hardly tell how much I love that sound. It's gotta be the most awesome guitar sound out there.

You're right, there are at least 2 guitar lines (I've previously only noticed Jonny's part on there)... The higher bit is Jonny's and is the lead guitar (also technically called the [non-vocal] melody), the lower bit is Guy's bass (sorry if you knew that already)... That bit was the harmonic progression I felt was a bit similar to You Only Live Twice once the soaring music actually starts...

Neways, how do you like the original?

One of my fav *jokes* about this band is that they would make the awesome-ss covers band / session musicians out there... :laugh3: I've never heard them do a bad cover - I remind myself of that when they go off and come up with stuff like Up In Flames / True Love​ (*runs away)

Don't run away, I also find Up In Flames and True Love horrible :D Thanks for your explanation, I had suspected that Guy is involved in the guitar melody somehow but my ears did not really discern the bass. Anyway, I don't know why that guitar part touches me so deeply.

Not sure why I'm saying this, but I guess that's why it's random haha ;)

Whenever I listen to some of the earlier stuff, especially Sparks and the like, I can't help but vusualize Coldplay performing in the back of some pub somewhere.....does anyone else do that haha?

Not sure why I'm saying this, but I guess that's why it's random haha ;)

Whenever I listen to some of the earlier stuff, especially Sparks and the like, I can't help but vusualize Coldplay performing in the back of some pub somewhere.....does anyone else do that haha?

When I listen to the early stuff, I especially visualize a young and innocent looking CM holding an acoustic guitar and pouring his heart and soul into those vocals. :)

Even though I know the whole MX story, I can't believe I didn't make this connection until now! I just realized that the line, "Light a fire, a fire, a spark" has to do with the sparks that sparkers make haha :p

^ no idea. but i do remember chris mentioning how phil once said that people will think coldplay wrote this album influenced by what was going on in the middle east early 2011, when they did it before.

anyway, isn't is a sad state of the world when a conceptual album written based on a dystopian future resonates with so many?

^ Does anyone know where they came up with the concept for the MX album story? I find it interesting how they have conceptualised issues faced by many citizens around the world and then managed to change it into something more playful and less dangerous / controversial...

They basically lifted the same idea from George Orwell's book, 1984.....and what's really strange is that right this minute, I am reading that very book in my literature class