✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Random Coldplay thoughts...

alyssa

Yesterday I went to a concert and the singer was talking about a song he wrote when he was 23 years old.

Now he's 34 and he was giving this advise to his younger self:

Don't worry too much, everything will be OK.

This made my think of a certain singer we all know. :)

• Like 1

I was just wondering.. What do Oldplayers do when they go and see Coldplay now? Do they jump up and down and enjoy themselves when the band play Charlie Brown or Hymn For The Weekend? Or do they sit in silence waiting for Trouble so they can wet their pants? I'm curious..

Rude....

I happened to be scrolling through channels and landed on that new Shannara fantasy show thing right as they started playing Midnight in the background. Of course, I stopped so I could listen to it and dang, they played almost the whole song.

It was rather odd, because I don't think that scene had anything to do with what Midnight is about (they were at a party of some sort? Also all the characters are elves?), but Coldplay, so yolo I guess?

EDIT: I'm still watching and I don't understand what's happening. Some of these people have totally normal names but then there's one named Eritreya?? They use contemporary slang but it's like Lord of the Rings?

EDIT: Wait no, there's a very old-looking rusted out helicopter, what's happening. Is this like a post-apocalyptic thing?

EDIT: Uh oh the man's shirt is off, they're alone, and this is airing on MTV. IT CAN ONLY MEAN ONE THING

EDIT: wow okay rude, lady

EDIT: Why am I still watching this

EDIT: I wish I could do that

EDIT: It's Aragorn! But he sounds like Sean Connery!

EDIT: That is one nasty STD

EDIT: I really hoped that elf lady wasn't really going to be that dumb. Hooray for intelligent decisions!

EDIT: oh god the tree is bleeding

• Like 1

I was just wondering.. What do Oldplayers do when they go and see Coldplay now? Do they jump up and down and enjoy themselves when the band play Charlie Brown or Hymn For The Weekend? Or do they sit in silence waiting for Trouble so they can wet their pants? I'm curious..

Do Newplayers sit in silence waiting for Us Against The World, UFO, anything from Ghost Stories (excluding ASFOS), or Everglow so they can wet their pants? Or do they boo while they play true rock from their older days such as Talk, Clocks, or In My Place?

Do Newplayers sit in silence waiting for Us Against The World, UFO, anything from Ghost Stories (excluding ASFOS), or Everglow so they can wet their pants? Or do they boo while they play true rock from their older days such as Talk, Clocks, or In My Place?

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any fans here - "Newplay" or Oldplay that would boo any of their old stuff... Although yeah, some of us might get pretty excited about their new stuff, whether it's rock or not :) As has been pointed out before, I don't think there are any true "Newplay " fans (i.e. Only liking their new stuff) posting regularly here - I'm sure they've all been scared off this forum by you Oldplayers lol :laugh3:

I think pretty much everyone here likes their old stuff (whether they got introduced from the start, or heard newer material first and then explored their older catalogue), the only difference is whether we like the new stuff or not... Therefore, dislike later albums = true Oldplay; likes most of their new stuff (irrespective of older output) = not Olplay (but that doesn't make them automatically Newplay).

Part of the reason for Newplay-Oldplay arguments is that there is no set definition, therefore everyone is free to interpret what being Oldplay is -

1) Is it only liking older output? What about if one likes some / most of the new material as well - does it make him / her any less Oldplay - if it does, why should it?

2) Is it liking more of the older stuff / preferring it compared to the newer stuff? If that is the case, then what if one likes everything (i.e. has no preference), and when does one get defined as an Allplayer / Goldplayer as opposed to straight up Newplayer?

3) Is it liking the older alt-rock style and not liking the new non-rock direction, irrespective of whether it is actually new (eg Major Minus, Ghost Story) or older material, or whether the musical output is actually good by any objective measure or not (i.e. Personal taste)?

4) What about those lamenting a decline in perceived musical quality of the newer stuff - does it automatically make them Oldplay? In that same vein, what about us who notice the changes but choose to focus on the positive instead - does that make us Newplay by default?

While it's pretty useful and easy to self-identify as Oldplay/ Newplay for convenience and brevity' sake, as usual labeling and defining others is fraught with issues as people tend to have differing opinions and interpretations on what constitutes Oldplay/ Newplay, and therefore how they are seen by others when a label gets slapped on... The person calling themselves Oldplay may simply wish to state a preference for the older music (without disparaging fans who like the new stuff), whereas someone else reading the post may not identify as Oldplay (based on the OP's post), but at the same time have a different interpretation of what being Newplay means (eg self-implied inferior taste in music), therefore feel hurt by the OP's comments and implications at being "Newplay"

• Like 1

I don't sit in silence waiting, I fall asleep usually haha. I'd love to hear Talk or In My Place live again.