✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Viva la Vida (song) = Beautiful...?

I would...if i was a 16 year old girl. What happened to the good old days when Coldplay sang about real issues and the music was raw and they actually used instruments you can hear without straining yourself instead of using synth sounds? I just dong understand how fans can like one style of music like rock and all of a sudden like pop synth music. The key word is pop. You guys are right that some bands are using synth sounds , but those bands like Muse keep their masculinity.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I answered the question to this thread yet. So as I am bored, can't sleep and should be doing some late night studying, I'll answer now. Viva La Vida IS most definitely beautiful.

OH come on!

Muse anyone? :P

I agree. Muse has evolved and they do use synth sounds but they are brillant because they didn't drastically change their style of music. They keep getting better and better and Coldplay can't touch their lyrics. Wow what has happened to me? I have always liked Muse but not as much as Coldplay...until now. Guess that's what happens when a band sells out...I mean goes in a different direction. Mark my words...you won't be hearing Coldplay on any rock stations. Instead tune into any pop station to hear them. What a time we live in.

I agree. Muse has evolved and they do use synth sounds but they are brillant because they didn't drastically change their style of music. They keep getting better and better and Coldplay can't touch their lyrics. Wow what has happened to me? I have always liked Muse but not as much as Coldplay...until now. Guess that's what happens when a band sells out...I mean goes in a different direction. Mark my words...you won't be hearing Coldplay on any rock stations. Instead tune into any pop station to hear them. What a time we live in.

Eh... have you heard Showbiz and how drastically different is from BH&R? :P Muse is constantly jumping around, from Butterflies and Hurricanes, to Starlight, to Assassin, to Endlessly, to Knights of Cydonia. O.o :laugh3: IMO BH&R wasn't as great as Abso, OOS and stuff like that. And Matt's lyrics aren't amazing or anything. Just listen to Invincible! :laugh3:

Anyway I hardly agree with you at any point! :P Besides the fact that Muse is great. :D

I agree that Bh&r wasn't as good as Absolution but there are some great songs on that album like the classic Knights of Cydonia, Starlight, and Exo Politics. All I'm saying is that Muse has maintained their edge even though they have changed styles. Coldplay hasn't for some reason. They have chosen to go in a very strange direction in which old school Coldplay fans won't be able to recognize them. The comment they made about people not liking their new music wasn't directed at the masses...but at us Coldplay fans who have been there since the beginning. So they knew they would alienate some of their fan base but still proceeded anyway. Why not because they can just replace us with new Coldplay fans who know nothing about music except for the pointless hip hop and emo music that is out today. To me that is a slap in the face.

I agree that Bh&r wasn't as good as Absolution but there are some great songs on that album like the classic Knights of Cydonia, Starlight, and Exo Politics. All I'm saying is that Muse has maintained their edge even though they have changed styles. Coldplay hasn't for some reason. They have chosen to go in a very strange direction in which old school Coldplay fans won't be able to recognize them. The comment they made about people not liking their new music wasn't directed at the masses...but at us Coldplay fans who have been there since the beginning. So they knew they would alienate some of their fan base but sti proceeded anyway. Why not because they can just replace us with new Coldplay fans who know nothing about music except for the pointless hip hop and emo music that is out today. To me that is a slap in the face.

AMAZING!! Better than Violet Hill AND A Spell a Rebel Yell put together!! :

68.64%

Boo!!! :

2.08%

Apparently only a very smalll percentage. :)

Meh. I've been a bit of a Coldplay fan since I was 9 and after not listening to Coldplay much over the last 2 years VLV and VH are nice and fresh... I like it. I don't miss old school Coldplay since I can always go back and listen to Parachutes and such if I want. Nothing has been taken away from you... :rolleyes:

And Coldplay aren't obligated to please anyone. They can make whatever music they want.

I agree that Bh&r wasn't as good as Absolution but there are some great songs on that album like the classic Knights of Cydonia, Starlight, and Exo Politics. All I'm saying is that Muse has maintained their edge even though they have changed styles. Coldplay hasn't for some reason. They have chosen to go in a very strange direction in which old school Coldplay fans won't be able to recognize them. The comment they made about people not liking their new music wasn't directed at the masses...but at us Coldplay fans who have been there since the beginning. So they knew they would alienate some of their fan base but still proceeded anyway. Why not because they can just replace us with new Coldplay fans who know nothing about music except for the pointless hip hop and emo music that is out today. To me that is a slap in the face.

Good god man, seriously no one qualifies this as hip hop or Emo...I will say ASARY sounds alittle bit hip hop to me but the other two and what we have heard of Lost! just simply isn't. I have been a coldplay fan from Parachutes as well and I like the new direction...so maybe your opinion is just that...one opinion. We get it...you don't like Synth, you don't like keyboard and probably have no clue how to play any instrument. Believe me if this stuff sounded that close to hip hop or EMO id be the LAST person to listen to it...

TO Low76:

while trashing or pointing at someone also you have some rules,its not as easy as you think to point at someone you don't like or hate.

you see if your own artists you like or band if they come up with some experimental new thing that they wanted to try,it is their wish here it is not a advise or saying from someone.

even if people gives advise to them only if they wanna consider it or not depends there.(its not like eveyone are free to do whatever they like as you think.)

if so then there will be all terrorists ruling in each and every country in the world.

OKAY?

don't unnecessarily bash some one if you don't have more to say.

if even we're not agreeing the fact to like other bands its our own wish.

you want to derive us into them with your all opinions to bash coldplay and support other bands so that all we good people will not like Coldplay forever

i am saying that in all points you're very very wrong.

You guys are right that some bands are using synth sounds , but those bands like Muse keep their masculinity.

Seems you have gender insecurity issues :o

Look, man, your posts have honest to God made me want to punch you in the face. Really hard. I don't care what you want to classify Coldplay as - it doesn't matter. If it sounds good, I'll listen to it and love it, if it doesn't, I won't. And this sounds good; very good. It might not be the same, but you can't give me this BS saying they're wimps. Violet Hill's one of their heaviest tracks yet.

And Muse has stronger lyrics than these songs? Bahahahaha. Muse may be great and all, but their lyrics are quite generic. You want songs that talk about real issues? What's more real than history, honestly? These are just as deep as before, but with an added level of poetry and story-telling. If anything, these are more original lyrics than Coldplay's earlier work.

Your comments about the synths only apply to A Spell, and that's not an album track. It's just something they were playing around with and I'm guessing they didn't consider it strong enough for the full album. VLV isn't synths; it's violins and bells.

"For some reason I can't explain, I know St. Peter won't call my name."

Please just stop running around these boards and saying how much you don't like the new music. What good is it doing? It's clearly not convincing people to stop listening to it, and it's not like you've even heard the full album yet. Lost? is from VLVOD and it sounds like the classics.

PS: Coldplay's always been played on pop stations.... And from what I've heard VH is getting a decent bit of rock station play.

jesus christ WILL YOU PLEASE LEAVE LOW76??? like... the longer this goes on and the more of your RIDICULOUS posts i read the less civil i can be about this.

COLDPLAY CAN MAKE WHATEVER THEY WANT. THEY ARE ARTISTS. THEY DON'T HAVE TO PLEASE ANYONE. and weirdly enough (as alyssa has already pointed out) they are pleasing a vast majority of fucking people who HAPPEN TO BE really huge coldplay fans. tell me the rule that says they have to define themselves as one certain genre? just because they are no longer making these ROCK SONGS YOU LOVE they are still coldplay and their songs are still easily recognizable as being coldplay.

i think it's time for you to accept the fact that you are an exception in this case... you are the only one on this entire forum (which includes the most diehard coldplay fans on this planet) who thinks coldplay are selling out or going in a bad direction or betraying their fans. to say the song viva la vida is going to attract emo and hip hop fans is one of the most ridiculous things i've ever heard in my entire life. the song is upbeat and has a string orchestra... find me a group of emo kids who enjoy upbeat songs with a string orchestra and a little of chris martins falsetto. i would drop dead if you were able to do this.

COLDPLAY AREN'T TURNING OFF THEIR FANS WITH THEIR NEW MUSIC. everyone here loves it or at least likes it EXCEPT YOU. so to say that they are alienating their true fan base is ridiculous. like if this change is such a big deal for you nothing is preventing you from listening to their older albums.

so please, for the last time, stop bashing these new songs and stop bashing coldplay. it is very evident that i am not the only one who wishes you to do this. if you are annoying so many people and you arent succesful in turning anyone against this song... what is your point? just let us enjoy it and don't come in here and create this negative atmosphere just because you are bitter that everyone else is actually enjoying their new music. i am done on this thread for good now...

Damn you people are sensitive. I have not once called out anyone on the forums but people love to call me out for speaking my mind. I have even been threatened with violence! LOL I am just speaking my mind and asking questions and all I am getting is bashed in return. God forbid I say anything negative about Coldplay. All those Coldplay haters were right...the band and all its fan base are nothing but stuck up pretentious bitches who think that whatever they do and say is the be all end all. It makes me sick that I have been on the same side as you assholes. I hope one day you will all realize the errors in your ways.

Btw if you look around I am not the only one.

Of course someone from Boston is crying. They are used to coming in 2nd behind NYC!!! BTW that comment has nothing to do with the Yankees because I am a Mets fan. Bitchass.

so you say that i am a bitch.

mind your language.

if i'ld have known your home exactly, i may today really have taken some serious action,but any way this is a forum so people can write what they like.

You sound so bitter, low76. There is no sense arguing over something so opinionated and personal as music. There's also no logic in being combative, and that goes for everyone. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Move on. If you love it, great. Nobody can win an argument over stylistic changes or whether someone's music is good or bad. Change is inevitable, however.

hey well we may have called you out but you were the first to use unnecesarry insults. and that's insanely hypocritical of YOU to accuse ME of crying... from the second this song was released you've been whining and crying nonstop about how bad it is and how awful coldplay is for doing this.

it's even MORE funny to me that you'd say i'm used to coming in second because i'm form boston....HAHAHAHAHAHA... lets see... red sox '04 + '07 world champs (first place as we speak)... patriots... 3 championships since 2001 (we may have lost this year but we still have more than any other team this decade)... and the celtics are the best team in the NBA and currently hold a 2-0 series lead over lebron and the cavs. weird... doesn't sound like too many occasions of finishing in 2nd place are going on here in boston! maybe you can tell me what it feels like to finish 2nd from personal experience (mets choke in '07... one of the biggest EVER in sports... and the biggest would belong to those NEW YORK yankees). but really... let me know how the yanks and knicks and even the giants can match up to those accomplishments of this decade.

this was posted on another thread by the user 'texasluvsjonny'

"They lost many fans when the new stuff came out, but they also gained a lot of fans and loosing people that won't let you express yourself isn't really a loss."

she was talking about radiohead when they released Kid A.

however... it applies PERFECTLY to this argument with low76... and these are the words i have been trying to come up with all day. if you are so set on coldplay remaining in one genre and are FURIOUS with them for being artists and expressing themselves... then you really aren't a true coldplay fan. the end.

this was posted on another thread by the user 'texasluvsjonny'

"They lost many fans when the new stuff came out, but they also gained a lot of fans and loosing people that won't let you express yourself isn't really a loss."

she was talking about radiohead when they released Kid A.

however... it applies PERFECTLY to this argument with low76... and these are the words i have been trying to come up with all day. if you are so set on coldplay remaining in one genre and are FURIOUS with them for being artists and expressing themselves... then you really aren't a true coldplay fan. the end.

Can't agree with you more. That statement is perfect. Radiohead is an AMAZING band, and Kid A was a huge departure from their other stuff. However, in retrospect, I think it was a change for the best, as I find it to be their best album (OK Computer, The Bends, and Kid A are all pretty much tied for first, but I think Kid A takes the cake for me). Coldplay have taken a courageous step that they could have easily avoided and still maintained their popularity. However, they knew that they needed to change, because they are fantastic ARTISTS. Changing and experimenting comes with the territory. Personally, I think the change has paid off so far. The new songs are denser, darker, and more complex, and I can't wait to hear the whole album!!!

Also, this is only the 4th album in a long career for Coldplay. Haters of the new stuff will have plenty of time to let the album grow on them. There has never been a more exciting time to be a fan of Coldplay, and yet there are STILL so called 'fans' complaining about EVERYTHING!!