✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

27-Jun- 2008: The TODAY Show Reviews/Photos/Videos

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My story

Alright, here is my long story about my NYC experience.

It all started at 3pm on Wednesday when to my total shock I received an email from Ian saying I had been picked as a VIP pass winner. I had already looked at some flights but thought there was no way I could go. I have a 2 and a half year old that can't quite fend for herself yet! So, in despair, I PMed Ian saying to give them to another deserving fan so that someone else could go. Wednesday night when my hubby got home I told him what had happened and he says - oh you should go! I'll stay home and watch the kid! I was like WTF? I already gave up my passes!! So Wednesday night and Thursday morning I agonized about what to do and finally started sending out PM's to people on the winner's list. I sent one to Noelia (CookyMnstr) and she had already PMed someone else offering her +1 pass. But then - the Coldplay gods smiled down and I received another PM from her saying that the person she was going to take was in fact a VIP pass winner themselves and did I want to be her +1!!!!! I couldn't fucking believe it!

I ran around like a chicken with my head cut off for a few minutes before realizing I didn't have a plane ticket yet! DOH! My flight reservation email came through at 5:04 pm on Thursday!!! I packed a backpack kissed my kid and hubby goodbye and jetted off to the airport.

At midnight my car service dropped me off on 48th Avenue and Rockefeller Plaza. People were already in the general admission line and the Today Show crew were busy building the stage. I talked to a security guard for a few minutes to try and get more information and then called Angie to tell her I was there.

As I was standing and waiting, Coldplay's giant semi pulls up to the curb. Angie came down and by then Lori had shown up too. So we hung out for a while before going up to Angie's room to chill a bit.

At about 3:30am we headed down to see what was happening with the stage and to try and get a bite to eat. When we got down close we could see that Coldplay's roadies were there already and that the area was getting busier. We decided to go ahead and form the VIP line while no one was there. So we sat there until 6am when the Today Show interns came out and gave us our VIP passes. We were lead into the pen area and were all SHOCKED AS HELL when we got lead into the very front pen and that we were standing mere feet from the stage.

I went digging in my backpack for something and of course this is the moment Will comes up on stage! He talked a minute to some roadies and then went straight for his drum kit. He was smiling as we called out his name!

Guy and Jonny came in next - both pretty much going for their instruments with the help of their techs. Chris was last to show up - and he stopped briefly to talk with Miller before coming up on stage. Chris was in a great mood and besides saying hello he was apologizing in advance for how bad the soundcheck was going to sound! We thought it was great and they were all really into it. They set up for acoustic Yellow and ran it through once. Chris told the sound guys he thought it sounded terrible which is probably why they didn't do it during the show.

As Angie said we counted to three and screamed for Jonny and he got this really funny WTF look on his face and started looking around and then finally saw us all smiling and waving and then a big smile broke out on his face. DIVINE!

About 7am soundcheck was done and then we waited and waited and waited.

The songs during the show were awesome and Chris had so much energy and the louder we screamed the more he jumped around.

The people who ended up in the very front were not real fans which was disappointing but oh well. We were still closer than most people will ever get.

Additional thoughts:

The boys are definitely more handsome in person and even though we didn't get a chance to speak to them you could tell from just how they were acting that they were all down to earth guys. We didn't see any diva type behavior. You could also tell - that like us - they had no idea what was going on. They pretty much did what the Today Show people told them to do - otherwise they were just standing there waiting for instruction.

It was the most incredible experience. I will never forget my 28 hour trip to New York. And the best part of it was meeting all the great Coldplayers and getting to experience this awesome band with other people who truly love them.

:kiss::kiss::kiss:

They were asked to do the song again and Chris said - WHAT? We have to do more? What??? Ha ha...what a kidder:laugh3:

IMG_8169.jpg

Guy...need I say more?

IMG_8166.jpg

Chris talks to Miller

IMG_8161.jpg

One of my fav Jonny pics - the lights were all weird so I made it black and white

IMG_8140-1-1.jpg

The stage at 4amIMG_8116-1.jpg

it makes me so happy to see what a great time the coldplaying fans in the VIP section... it still pisses me off that the rerst of the pen was filled with randoms instead of real fans BUT i can look past that i guess. im trying to concentrate on how GREAKIN GORGEOUS THEY ARE IN PERSON. :P

that's a cool shot of the stage at 4 am. On one hand, I am really mad for all of those who attended that some spoiled rich kids were at the VERY front instead of true fans, but on the other, NBC did give coldplaying.com VIP tickets which is a nice unexpected gesture.

@melanieau

Oh, my god. I'm so jealous. This is so amazing. When I read your describing I stopped breathing. It's a wonder that I didn't have a black out. WOW.:o:o:o

I can barely imagine how wonderful this trip had been for you.

WOW, I don't know what to say? You were so close to him :o:o:o:o:o:o

my brother posted the one video he took of "lost!" on facebook! i hope you can see it...

i tried to upload one of my thirteen to youtube overnight, but it failed :angry:. i'm going to try my damndest to upload them over the next two months, at the very least to sendspace.

and if i can, on the plane tonight i'll write out a bit more of an official review of my experience and post it once i get internet in holland! :dance:

Alright, here is my long story about my NYC experience.

As Angie said we counted to three and screamed for Jonny and he got this really funny WTF look on his face and started looking around and then finally saw us all smiling and waving and then a big smile broke out on his face. DIVINE!

:heart:

because i didn't get to show my sign because it was too big (:rolleyes:) and would have blocked everyones view, here's a pic of me with it afterward :P

cimg0204kl8.jpg

those odd colored lumps are *supposed* to be butterflies, like the confetti. and i'm all sweaty and my hair's a wreck because we just came back, but there's my sign :D

oh, and i FINALLY got the rest of the best of my photos up!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2002552&l=00ee6&id=1083570023

story soon and hopefully videos gradually!

ahh, i told him to look for it online. that's definitely him in the canada hat. how i wish i wasn't flying today! i just want to upload videos and write up my experience and watch the official today show vids...grr.

cell phone pics you can do through facebook by getting the "mobile" application and then sending them to [email protected], but it's not a huge deal :D

Oh, by the way, Phil is super Uber Hot. holy cow.what a man

OMG, I thought that was PHil. I don't recall ever seeing a pic of him, but I saw Chris call out his name and this gorgeous man walked up on stage to talk to him. I kept asking out loud, "is that Phil....thee Phil?" But no one around me seemed to know. Uh,,yeah, good looking man. Does anyone else have other photos of him?

OMG, I thought that was PHil. I don't recall ever seeing a pic of him, but I saw Chris call out his name and this gorgeous man walked up on stage to talk to him. I kept asking out loud, "is that Phil....thee Phil?" But no one around me seemed to know. Uh,,yeah, good looking man. Does anyone else have other photos of him?
Phil pics are rare

philharveyjs2.jpg

Mel, what an amazing experience for you. I had no idea you had to travel by plane. Amazing story.

I don't have enough time right now, but I'll give my account of the amazing day that was yesterday later tonight. It was one of the best experiences of my life though. To see the guys up so close is more than I ever thought would happen for me!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2187312&id=68103042

I just posted all my pics on facebook!! I didn't have a GREAT camera, but some of them are pretty sexy.They get really blurry near the end...but it's impossible for the band (or me for that matter) to stand still during this amazing music. ALSO, I posted all the videos I took on my facebook as well. Hopefully you can access them. If not, feel free to add me as a friend!

The videos include:

-'Clocks' warm up.

-'Yellow' acoustic warm up.

-'In My Place' including Chris bringing the boy with the broken arm on stage, the boys noticing the 'We Will Be on a Strawberry Swing' poster, and Chris sticking out his tongue at the paparazzi.

-'Viva La Vida' minus the very beginning when Chris messes up...but you can see that on the Today Show's website!

-'Lost!' unfortunately this is just the first half...I'm still kicking myself for not at least getting Jonny's solo