✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

19-Sep-2009: Wembley Stadium, London - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews/Photos

Jenjie

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mine too, but i'll keep it to remember the concert :D

i hope all us who took part on the yellow wave will keep the glow-sticks :uhoh:

As one glowstick looks the same as any other and stops glowing after a while, I don't see the point.:dozey:

It would be different if they were special "Coldplaying" glowsticks!:D

Maybe next time!;)

because we kept hugging each other I think. plus my excuse is my immune system is low at the moment, so was bound to catch germs from someone :laugh3:

From Italy we arrived with a lot of disinfectant for the hands, just to avoid flu risks... did u think about this chance to be in safe?

who was it who showed me those little orange things on their arms??

I had those specks too! After they started clearning up their was an almighty bang, and then ash fell from the sky, followed by an awful stench like loads of matches had been struck

I thought some fireworks or something had gone off or mis-fired.

A homecoming is often associated with celebration. It is usually special, fulfilling and oozes with optimism. A homecoming finale however, is the icing on the cake and needs something grandiose to completely transform it into a Christmas-esque event. For Coldplay punters, this is their first 'Christmas' of the year and who can argue with that when you got the buzzing White Lies, the -well, fun I suppose, Girls Aloud and the simply storming Jay Z to warm up and open before Coldplay.

9PM and clad in their Adam Ant-esque costumes (lets face it, they raided his wardrobe), Chris Martin and co. take to the stage, accompanied by sparkles and cheers as they open with their instrumental Life In Technicolor from their globally successful Viva La Vida......album. The crunch and march of Violet Hill; guitarist Johnny Buckland's twinkling notes on In My Place; and the hypnotic Clocks are all rattled off in quick succession, demonstrating that both the band and audience are in sync.

Chris Martin is one of the last people you would name as a rock star. Instead of demanding attention from the masses, he pleads for attention as he emotionally runs through X&Y's The Hardest Part. His now ever present catchphrase "everybody doing OK?" sends shock-waves of smiles across Wembley, to a point where he comically stumbles on a piano note.

And from there, the show really begins.

They summon the strikingly familiar string section of number #1 hit Viva La Vida, which causes a nearly natural reaction from the crowd - everyone ascended to their feet like they've recieved a message from the heavens as Buckland coordinated the 'whoooahs.' It was powerful, spine-tingling and down right intimate.

Speaking of intimacy, they somehow managed to dodge the crowd and run into a small platform located 3/4 of the way of the pitch for their encore. Compared with the Wembley's past performers such as Muse's futuristic Black Holes and Revelations Tour, Take That's The Circus Tour and recently U2 360 Tour, Coldplay's stage set-up lacks that extravaganza. Yet, their charisma and playfulness with their masses regularly made up for it. The showering of beautiful confetti butterflies during indie sparkler Lovers In Japan is one of many examples of the relationship with their audience (unfortunately, my nosebleed seats prevented me from catching some. Or I could have jumped...).

What next for Coldplay? 4 albums in and they are already one of the biggest acts on the planet. Final show of the tour and their spirits are up. Too bad I didn't catch their final applause due to me scurrying out of the stadium like a frightened rabbit to avoid being shackled to Wembley along with 70,000+ people trying to get home at the same time.

http://achtungnielsen4.blogspot.com/2009/09/coldplays-viva-la-vida-tour-19.html

Coldplay, Jay zzzzzz and Girls 'should not be' Aloud

After the triumph that was U2 at Wembley stadium a few weeks ago, it was the turn of Coldplay to step up to the plate. We have seen them a couple of times before, so I figured there would be no problem. Before the main event we had to endure Girls Aloud who were delightfully awful. Mrs B had read a couple of reviews of their previous shows which were glowing. I can only assume that the reviewer was trying desperately hard to get into Cheryl's tiny white panties, because in truth they were dreadful (No not the white panties, I didn't actually get to see them so don't feel qualified to say).

The ginger one makes me want to hurl every time I see her. What were they thinking when they added her to the group? If they were going for girl next door looks they fell wide of the mark, managing instead to corner the hideously disfigured scary woman from up the road market instead. On the plus side for her, it looks like she is breaking into the film industry. That was her I saw her playing the painting at the end in the recent Dorian Gray movie , wasn't it????. Now the same can't be said of Cheryl. While she may have the looks of an angel, her voice has more of the air of a Tyneside docker, and an out of tune one at that.

This left the choreographed dance routines. Surely they must have been good? You would have thought so, but the reality is that your great Aunt Ethel, the one with the double hip replacement and dodgy knees (not forgetting the flatulence when she eats sprouts) moves better than these girls. Sad but true and remember, Ethal has always been rather generous at Christmas and Birthdays, you can never have too many pairs of white flannel socks in your life plus flatulence is hardly noticeable, unless you happen to be in the first couple of rows.....

Jay Zed (It's a long story)or should that be Jay Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz was up next and as I feared he did nothing for me, other than make me hungry (and I don't mean for more). One of his songs had an Indian rift running through it, which left me wanting a curry and with a strange desire to be in a room surrounded by red flock wallpaper. None of my concert companions - Mrs B, Kirsty or Vinnie - were affected in the same way so my curry crush went unsated....

So having survived the ordeal of "The support bands" what could go wrong.....? Hmmmm, 10 minutes before Coldplay were due on stage the heavens opened (Way to go weather men, with your 20% chance of rain. That's most impressive you normally claim 80% chance of rain and get it wrong). Now most people would regard this as a bad thing but not me as it actually resolved a dilemma for our little party:-

Mrs B was not enjoying the crush at the front or not being able to see the stage.........but............

........Kirsty had lost her glasses (this is the girl who managed to mistake a field of Llamas for a field of cows. Hey, on the positive side she did recognise it was a field) so anything further than a foot back from the stage was going to mean a big blurry ordeal for her.

The rain decided for us and we scurried to the back of the stadium and undercover. That way none of us got to see anything other than some stick insects but at least we stayed dry. The rain also turned out to be a relief for Vinnie as well. It has already been established in a previous BlackLOG that he is not a big fan of being in the car with the roof down, so since one of my rules for topless driving is that it has to be dry (the other being it has to be above freezing, although this rule has often been broken on blue sky winter days. It's not that bad, after the first 10 minutes the numbing sensation takes over from the pain of early onset frost bite) he knew he was going to get a lift home with the roof up.....

As for Coldplay they put on a good show which was ruined by the acoustics echoing around the stadium. I think it might have been due to the roof - for U2 it was fully opened but I notice that for Coldplay it was partly closed and I believe it was this that caused the echo problem. I like Chris Martin and believe he is a genuinely nice guy, but how many times can you ask the audience if they are OK and having a good time? A couple of times is OK, but once you start reaching double figures it gets a little dull. Nice touch with the X-factor sing along competition, although possibly a bit cheesy with the Simon Fuller video interaction bit, but entertaining all the same. The only thing was how could they bring Jay ZZZZZZZ back on stage for a duet? After all I had only just started to get over his rather dreary support set.

http://the-blacklog.blogspot.com/2009/09/coldplay-jay-zzzzzz-and-girls-should.html

Really nice reviews! I can't understand them totally (because of my english ... ) but the most part of the things I read, took me back to that amazing night!

Then ... my question: did anyone here get a video of the biginning of the C-Stage performance?! I can't find anything except trouble ... thank you any way!

:)