• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

apparatjik-2.jpg

1star.gif

Apparatjik - Square Peg In A Round Hole

What to do as a member of a world-conquering band during downtime from bestriding stadiums across the globe with your latest multi-platinum ‘pseudo-alternative’ soft-rock offerings? Guy Berryman, bass-twanger with Coldplay, has teamed up with Magne Furuholmen (from A-ha), Jonas Bjerre (from Mew) and Martin Terefe (producer/songwriter to the stars) to create a loose musical collective that can rope in some big-name friends (as here in the shape of Pharrell Williams under his pseudonym Auto Goon) for a bit of a musical global ‘kick-about'.

Square Peg In A Round Hole is Apparatjik's second album and it sounds like the sum of its parts, with added phased vocals and electro blips. That’s not necessarily a compliment; unfortunately Apparatjik come burdened with a slew of effects - vocoder vocals on every track become wearing even if you are Kanye West. Such treatment buries any vestige of a tune and gives the impression of day-glo mid-'80s synth-pop pastiche with nary a nod to irony, shoulder pads or poodle perms. The unrelenting reliance on vocal effects soon tires and sounds lumpen, dated and uninspired.

It’s not helped by lyrical stinkers such as opener Time Police, with its ‘haunting’ refrain that ”time police are coming – hide away evidence” yearning to be deep but coming across as meaningless po-faced piffle. The same song follows up with suggestions to ”loosen up your time in spatial continuum”. More lyrical beauties include “There’s a cross and a man of three composing types” (Signs Of Waking Up) and “My life has no GPS, I am lost” (Do It Myself). Really? Furthermore, mixing upper aNd LoWeR cAsE in your song titles doesn’t make you look/sound edgy if the music isn’t.

From song to song it drags on, with the odd variation in sequence of bleeps, insipid vocals and wispy gauze-like wafts of tune for the rest of the album. Cervux Sequential (yes, they do sing this title) tries to beef things up with a basic four-to-the-floor disco plod, with (hey!) ‘contemporary’ sub-bass whoomphs. Tell The Babes tries to ‘rock out’ but all instruments are filtered beyond recognition. No amount of ‘glitchy’ production tweaks can disguise the paucity of invention here. Or, more bluntly, you can’t polish a turd, however rich the ingredients.

Only on the mercifully instrumental Pakt do they keep it short and wordlessly to the point in a snapshot blast of interesting electronica. And Gzmo gives a trace of what could have been, as the electronics fall away to leave a skeleton of guitar melody and harmonic vocals to prove that humans were once involved in this, though too late to save it.

Do It Myself featuring Pharrell throws a bit of light relief from the insipid vocals with a reggae-tinged bounce that doesn’t go anywhere. The vague stab at humour Combat Disco Music (with sub-macho 'hoo-has') still comes across as po-faced vocodered clinical throwaway b-side material. It's sad that these ‘background’ figures couldn’t produce something a little more unique and less gratingly derivative.

No-one expects bass player side projects to be interesting, so why should Guy’s be any different (apart from his being a bit of a high profile millionaire musician type person). He seems like a nice chap. Maybe he should stick to marathon running. (By the way, when playing live – which they do rarely - they dress in silver space suits with deer horns; unfortunately you can’t hear that on the album, which is a shame.)

http://www.musicomh.com/albums/apparatjik-2_0312.htm

http://www.thecmuwebsite.com/article/qa-apparatjik/

AM: You’re preparing a series of live shows later this year. What can people expect from those shows?

A: We would like to know too! If you have any ideas, please submit them to [email protected]. All we know is that the old ‘be there or be square’ idiom no longer holds.

I'm tempted to try out that e-mail address :D

I'm new here. I do like Coldplay but just have only one of their CDs, which is A Rush Of Blood To The Head. However, I love how they've covered some of my favorite bands in concert, like Echo & The Bunnymen and a-ha. Also, I love that they used Kraftwerk's wondeful melody from "Computer Love" for "Talk." I was going to try to read this whole thread and started out from the very beginning and got quite a few laughs, especially about discovering what "flum" and "ferreting" mean and to read many of the comments about Guy. :) Unfortunately, I couldn't make it all the way through to the last page, but I did read the last 10 pages or so.

Because I'm a big fan of a-ha and of Mags, I got into Apparatjik when they released We Are Here, but I didn't listen to any of their drafts for "Square Peg In A Round Hole." So, when I got the CD in the mail on Tuesday, it was the first time for me to hear any of the songs on the new album.

I definitely don't agree with the journalist's review for the new album that busybeeburns posted. While I do enjoy We Are Here much more than Square Peg, I do love that it's a fun album. It's obvious that Martin, Mags, Guy, and Jonas had a great time making this album, like I'm sure thatt they did for We Are Here. As we know, Apparatjik have made so many funny pics, videos, emails, tweets, etc. They don't take themselves seriously, but this journalist sure takes himself seriously. My main gripe about the album is that they used autotune too much and that they used too many guest vocalists.

Anyway, here's a little album review that I posted at West of the Moon. Speaking of which, I wonder if Romanglass is Catherine at WOTM?

Plus, it was nice to find out that Guy sings the lead vocals for "cervus seQuential."

The album does start off really well with "timepoLice." It's a nice uptempo number with killer synth work, cool beats, and great vocals by Jonas. The chorus is so catchy, but I think that the song would've even been better without the guest vocals by Pharrell.

The music is very cool and upbeat for "cervux seQuential," but I'm not a big fan of the female vocals. Her vocals remind me of Fergie singing "My humps, my lovely lady lumps." hehe

Another uptempo number is "tell the bAbes." I love hearing Jonas screaming out "Tell the babes, tell babes, she wants you!!" Guy's bass is very nice in this song.

The album slows down a bit with "Signs of waking uP," which is a beautiful song, and this song could've easily been on We Are Here. This is probably my favorite song on the album. There's no autotune in this song, and Jonas and Magne both do a great job trading vocals in this song. I love how Jonas does his "oohs" and "aaahs."

My least favorite song is "do IT myself." It's too r&B sounding for me. To joke about this song, it sounds like Williams is saying, "autotune myself." hehe

I really like the music for "blastLOCKet," but I have no clue who Ceta and L Gortex are. (As others have mentioned here at Coldplaying, the vocals that are sung so rapidly are quite catchy."

"Hooh! Hah!" is the only description needed for "COmbat disco music." :0)

What a great song title "your voice needS SUB titles" is. Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of the verses, but Jonas saves the day with his great vocals in the chorus. I really enjoy the guitar in the chorus, too.

I think that "(don't Eat The whole) banana" is a humorous but very pretty song. I love the contrast with the pretty piano layered against the cool bass line, and there are some cool vocal effects, too.

Along the same lines as "(don't Eat The whole) banana," "superpositions" has funny lyrics with great acapella vocals.

I love how Jonas bursts out with his vocals for "gzMO." Is the title paying homage to Gizmo from The Gremlins? j/k That melody that Jonas sings is so pretty. Unlike the autotune vocals, I really do like the robotic vocals in this song.

I'll sound like a hypocrite here, but I do like the autotune vocals that Magne sings for "control Park." It's a nice chill song to end the album.

^ Hello, and welcome to the forum! :cheesy: Nice to see the view on a band from a Non-Coldplayer :D

Oh yeah, I guess you just stumbled into a massive Guy-fangirl thread in here, at least it got a little bit.. less fangirl-ish over the last few pages :sweatdrop:

I definitely don't agree with the journalist's review for the new album that busybeeburns posted. While I do enjoy We Are Here much more than Square Peg, I do love that it's a fun album. It's obvious that Martin, Mags, Guy, and Jonas had a great time making this album, like I'm sure thatt they did for We Are Here. As we know, Apparatjik have made so many funny pics, videos, emails, tweets, etc. They don't take themselves seriously, but this journalist sure takes himself seriously. My main gripe about the album is that they used autotune too much and that they used too many guest vocalists.

THIS. I couldn't believe that the journalist goes all serious about like it was the next big thing. Common, what do you expect from people that are already massive in music history, when they're crammed together in a studio, doing artsy-fartsy stuff, go skiing and drink a lot of beer? :lol:

I really like your review, and also agree about the Autotune part, they all have very nice voices, I don't see why they needed to use it that much :/ Since I was very excited to hear Guy sing for the first time, it was rather a let-down hearing his voice all disorted, oh well.

The "don't Eat The whole banana" song is so random, to be honest most of the lyrics are rather... well, open to interpretation I guess.

Now,

I think I'm gonna start a little fire :lol:

^ Hello, and welcome to the forum! :cheesy: Nice to see the view on a band from a Non-Coldplayer :D

Oh yeah, I guess you just stumbled into a massive Guy-fangirl thread in here, at least it got a little bit.. less fangirl-ish over the last few pages :sweatdrop:

THIS. I couldn't believe that the journalist goes all serious about like it was the next big thing. Common, what do you expect from people that are already massive in music history, when they're crammed together in a studio, doing artsy-fartsy stuff, go skiing and drink a lot of beer? :lol:

I really like your review, and also agree about the Autotune part, they all have very nice voices, I don't see why they needed to use it that much :/ Since I was very excited to hear Guy sing for the first time, it was rather a let-down hearing his voice all disorted, oh well.

The "don't Eat The whole banana" song is so random, to be honest most of the lyrics are rather... well, open to interpretation I guess.

Now,

Thank you for the welcome. It can be a bit intimidating walking into a place where people know much more about a certain band's (Coldplay) music than I do. I'm sure that this was mentioned in several threads here, but being a big Pet Shop Boys fan, I really enjoy their cover of Viva La Vida. However, I'm not too sure if Coldplay fans enjoy it. :0)

lol! Yes, the drooling over Guy did dissipate in the later pages of this thread. :0) I didn't mind reading all of the drooling, though. One of my all-time favorite bands is Depeche Mode, and I've been a member of the official forum for nearly 15 years, and I've seen a lot of girls drooling over Dave Gahan at the forum. :0)

There's no telling what kind of pressure that bands like Coldplay and a-ha felt when making new albums, especially when fans and even their record labels demand that they make an even better album than the previous album. So, Apparatjik must be a great relief for Mags, Guy, and co. to go into Mags' home studio and just have fun while recording an album. It's great how they've all bonded so well with them being from different countries (though, Denmark and Norway share some commond bonds) and to have 15 years or so in ages between some band members. Yet, they all connect mentally and musically, in order to create such fun, special music without any expectations, demands, etc. from fans, record labels, music magazines, etc. If that journalist could've seen pics of the band wearing wetsuits and antlers and the other crazy costumes that they've donned, the journalist probably would've changed his tune for his review.

As for Autotune, it really is a shame that they used it so much for this album. As you said, they all have nice voices, and it would've been nice to hear more of their natural voices, like we can for We Are Here. Autotune should be only used by people that really can't sing, like Rebecca Black. :0) However, this will sound silly, but I do enjoy Guy's vocals on "cervux seQuential," even though they're Autotuned. The chorus that he sings is so hook-ladened. Hopefully, Guy will get to sing using his natural voice for the next album. With how much fun these guys are having in this group, I have faith that they'll want to make a third album.

You do bring up a great point that most of Apparatjik's lyrics are quite random, quirky, etc. and are open to interpretation. In a way, they remind me a little of the quirkiness from They Might Be Giants' lyrics. As for "don't Eat The whole) banana," I now view it in a much different light now. hehe

lmao!! Nice quote from one of Lisa's lines in the song that Guy sings. :0) Is it hard to be a witch? j/k Speaking of Lisa, who is she? Because almost all Apparatjiks have "A" for a last name (which I love the sort of Communist take it has), it's difficult for me to look up who Lisa A is.

That reviewer has obviously missed the whole point of the collaborative-ness of Square Peg, he's clearly not aware of the fact that the finished songs were the result of remixes and external ideas, and thus that will have a bearing on the production of the album. Yes, it sounds over-produced and yes, they've used too much auto-tune (that's my major gripe about the album too) but then the whole concept of the project was the collaboration with others and the sort-of-mechanised robotic-ness and of course the fact that they don't want to sound like a 'proper' traditional set up.

Anyway, Hello Pakt - welocme to the thread. Nice to have a guy's prospective and of couse a non-Coldplayer's prosective too :thumbsup: And yeah, apologies for the fangirling ;)

Now,

Gosh, I haven't seen such an intelligent and thorough disussion on this board for a while :D

For Guy's vocals, I think the original Sequential is not distorted, or at least it's very mild autotuning.

Wandering here right from the Buckin thread, I can't help but think bananas are ought to be included in this list:

Coldplaying Dot Com: Making most foods impossible to eat without a silly grin since 2002.

:lol:

As for communism, I might not get the irony behind the usage of its motives, but I'm not quite fond of it, having grown up in a country that had been oppressed by it. :sad:

I haven't listened to Apparatjik since their debut album, and Ferreting (that is their best song imo)

What is the second album like? Should I give it a chance or skip over it? Because We Are Here had some nice songs but the majority of it was bland for me (sorry!)

That reviewer has obviously missed the whole point of the collaborative-ness of Square Peg, he's clearly not aware of the fact that the finished songs were the result of remixes and external ideas, and thus that will have a bearing on the production of the album. Yes, it sounds over-produced and yes, they've used too much auto-tune (that's my major gripe about the album too) but then the whole concept of the project was the collaboration with others and the sort-of-mechanised robotic-ness and of course the fact that they don't want to sound like a 'proper' traditional set up.

Anyway, Hello Pakt - welocme to the thread. Nice to have a guy's prospective and of couse a non-Coldplayer's prosective too :thumbsup: And yeah, apologies for the fangirling ;)

That's what I get for not listening to the various drafts of the songs that eventually ended up on the album. It would've been neat to hear the progression of those songs. I need to check those out on SoundCloud. Even though I don't know what all was changed, added, removed, etc., I'm very happy with the final production and presentation of the album songs, other than the autotune and guest vocalists, as I said before. I'm a big fan of electronic music, and strictly speaking about the music production, it's great. It's varied, layered, atmospheric, etc., even though most of it is produced on the computer and not from traditional instruments. However, it is great hearing Guy's bass or Magne's guitar in Combat Disco Music. Also, I don't like how the journalist in that review used "derivative" for the music. "Derivative" is such a cliche now. One could say "derivative" about any style of music these days. Apparatjik put their own personalized and awesome touch on electronic music.

Thank you for the welcome, squareonefivesix. To bring up another fine point for Coldplay, I love that Coldplay borrowed a scene from Depeche Mode's Enjoy The Silence video for one of their own videos, but unfortunately, I forgot which Coldplay video that has that scene.

I haven't listened to Apparatjik since their debut album, and Ferreting (that is their best song imo)

What is the second album like? Should I give it a chance or skip over it? Because We Are Here had some nice songs but the majority of it was bland for me (sorry!)

In my opinion, both albums are somewhat similar musically. Both are predominantly electro-based albums. The second album may be a bit more uptempo than the first. Both albums have random and quirky lyrics. The main differences are that the second album has a lot of autotune and uses guest vocalists for four songs, and using autotune, Guy actually sings on a song for the second album.

It'd be neat to hear other Apparatjiks compare and contrast the two Apparatjik albums.

As for communism, I might not get the irony behind the usage of its motives, but I'm not quite fond of it, having grown up in a country that had been oppressed by it. :sad:

I really shouldn't have made light of the band's use of their communism theme. I don't know if you're a fan of OMD, but for their last album, "History of Modern," OMD mentioned in their CD booklet that they consider "communism" as "modern." Obviously, OMD and the guys from Apparatjik didn't grow up in communist countries and may view it differently than people that did grow up in communist countries.

I visited Serbia twice in the last year and a half, and even though the former Yugoslavia isn't considered to be one of the countries that was behind the Iron Curtain, which Lithuania certainly was, it still was an eye opener for me to visit my first former communist country and to hear people's stories about what it was like to grow up there, to go along with their very sad experiences of war after communism fell. So, please accept my apologies for making light of Appartjik's communism theme.

I just realized on how much you can miss out if you don't follow Apparatjik's creation process thoroughly. I haven't heard Ferreting before and I have no idea under what circumstances it was released as I have discovered Apparatjik only in early December last year. And it is indeed beautiful.

Thank you for the welcome, squareonefivesix. To bring up another fine point for Coldplay, I love that Coldplay borrowed a scene from Depeche Mode's Enjoy The Silence video for one of their own videos, but unfortunately, I forgot which Coldplay video that has that scene.

I really shouldn't have made light of the band's use of their communism theme. I don't know if you're a fan of OMD, but for their last album, "History of Modern," OMD mentioned in their CD booklet that they consider "communism" as "modern." Obviously, OMD and the guys from Apparatjik didn't grow up in communist countries and may view it differently than people that did grow up in communist countries.

I visited Serbia twice in the last year and a half, and even though the former Yugoslavia isn't considered to be one of the countries that was behind the Iron Curtain, which Lithuania certainly was, it still was an eye opener for me to visit my first former communist country and to hear people's stories about what it was like to grow up there, to go along with their very sad experiences of war after communism fell. So, please accept my apologies for making light of Appartjik's communism theme.

The video was 'Viva la Vida' by Anton Corbijn, who, as far as I know, directed the Enjoy the Silence video. It was done as a tribute, I guess :nice: personally, I think it's much better than the official VLV video.

As for comparing the two albums, I prefer We Are Here. Describing music is rather difficult to me as I lack vocabulary and I like to think music is supposed to be felt subconsciously.

We Are Here is more emotional and atmospheric. SPIARH is very Apparatjik, too, but in my opinion, the actual album is the original draft. Maybe it's just my sentiments, because Sequential was the first Apparatjik song I've ever heard. I greatly appreciate the fact they included their fans in the process, it's a thing that only they could dare doing.

As the drafts kept coming, some alterations were amazing, the new songs were mostly good, too, but the final recording just passes by, and that's it, leaving little to none for thoughts. And I remember listening to We Are Here for the first time, it made me curious, it caught my attention.

On the other hand, when I'm listening to Apparatjik, I have absolutely no idea what is going on. I actually like that state, but I believe that Square Peg has an immense amount of secrets to be discover - such like the capital letters. Anyone has any ideas about that?

About communism, I'm too young to know what was it exactly like, so maybe I shouldn't linger on the fact at all. Also, I believe they have a reason for using it - I hope it's mocking. As I said before, I have no idea about their deeper meanings.

And back to silly and shallow me, I miss their videos. I know they've given us a lot of musical material, but I want them! :D Also, performance dates would be nice, then I could be devastated or start saving up...

apparatjik-2.jpg

1star.gif

Apparatjik - Square Peg In A Round Hole

What to do as a member of a world-conquering band during downtime from bestriding stadiums across the globe with your latest multi-platinum ‘pseudo-alternative’ soft-rock offerings? Guy Berryman, bass-twanger with Coldplay, has teamed up with Magne Furuholmen (from A-ha), Jonas Bjerre (from Mew) and Martin Terefe (producer/songwriter to the stars) to create a loose musical collective that can rope in some big-name friends (as here in the shape of Pharrell Williams under his pseudonym Auto Goon) for a bit of a musical global ‘kick-about'.

Square Peg In A Round Hole is Apparatjik's second album and it sounds like the sum of its parts, with added phased vocals and electro blips. That’s not necessarily a compliment; unfortunately Apparatjik come burdened with a slew of effects - vocoder vocals on every track become wearing even if you are Kanye West. Such treatment buries any vestige of a tune and gives the impression of day-glo mid-'80s synth-pop pastiche with nary a nod to irony, shoulder pads or poodle perms. The unrelenting reliance on vocal effects soon tires and sounds lumpen, dated and uninspired.

It’s not helped by lyrical stinkers such as opener Time Police, with its ‘haunting’ refrain that ”time police are coming – hide away evidence” yearning to be deep but coming across as meaningless po-faced piffle. The same song follows up with suggestions to ”loosen up your time in spatial continuum”. More lyrical beauties include “There’s a cross and a man of three composing types” (Signs Of Waking Up) and “My life has no GPS, I am lost” (Do It Myself). Really? Furthermore, mixing upper aNd LoWeR cAsE in your song titles doesn’t make you look/sound edgy if the music isn’t.

From song to song it drags on, with the odd variation in sequence of bleeps, insipid vocals and wispy gauze-like wafts of tune for the rest of the album. Cervux Sequential (yes, they do sing this title) tries to beef things up with a basic four-to-the-floor disco plod, with (hey!) ‘contemporary’ sub-bass whoomphs. Tell The Babes tries to ‘rock out’ but all instruments are filtered beyond recognition. No amount of ‘glitchy’ production tweaks can disguise the paucity of invention here. Or, more bluntly, you can’t polish a turd, however rich the ingredients.

Only on the mercifully instrumental Pakt do they keep it short and wordlessly to the point in a snapshot blast of interesting electronica. And Gzmo gives a trace of what could have been, as the electronics fall away to leave a skeleton of guitar melody and harmonic vocals to prove that humans were once involved in this, though too late to save it.

Do It Myself featuring Pharrell throws a bit of light relief from the insipid vocals with a reggae-tinged bounce that doesn’t go anywhere. The vague stab at humour Combat Disco Music (with sub-macho 'hoo-has') still comes across as po-faced vocodered clinical throwaway b-side material. It's sad that these ‘background’ figures couldn’t produce something a little more unique and less gratingly derivative.

No-one expects bass player side projects to be interesting, so why should Guy’s be any different (apart from his being a bit of a high profile millionaire musician type person). He seems like a nice chap. Maybe he should stick to marathon running. (By the way, when playing live – which they do rarely - they dress in silver space suits with deer horns; unfortunately you can’t hear that on the album, which is a shame.)

http://www.musicomh.com/albums/apparatjik-2_0312.htm

The thing is, to a degree, they don't care about critics - they just do their own thing :heart:

I listened to the album finally, it's pretty good! I love Sequential and Time Police :wacky:

Anyway, here's a little album review that I posted at West of the Moon. Speaking of which, I wonder if Romanglass is Catherine at WOTM?

;)

Glad you found this thread and joined in! It used to move a lot faster than it does now, but there are always lots of good perspectives from the Coldplay fanbase. Are you also on the Mew forum? I need to learn more about Mew one of these days, but anyway that forum is cool too and it's great to get the Mew perspective too :D

I found Apparatjik a few months ago because Guy was in it. Call me obsessed. :rolleyes:

They're an artist that's very different than the usual music I listen to but I do enjoy finally hearing Guy's vocals. I like We Are Here very much. Snow Crystals and Quiz Show are my favorites!

I honestly haven't listened to the final cut of Square Peg yet. I haven't bought it; I have one of the drafts converted to mp3 and it's very...different than what I'm used to. I have to say hearing Guy on Sequential made me very happy! I love the distortion in the track.

I uploaded We Are Here and Square Peg on my 10 year old brother's iPod, and brother LOVES them!

I need to learn more about Mew one of these days, but anyway that forum is cool too and it's great to get the Mew perspective too :D
The Mew forum is dead nowadays :'(

Mew should soon show something of themselves otherwise the forum stays in this dormant state. Well, new material is in the make and new gigs announced, so I hope soon the forum gets back alive!

I know the Apparatjik guys are all pro Mac and iTunes and so, but I am glad to have found the final album also on amazon.com because I always have troubles with iTunes :(

idx2.gifidx2.gif

:D