✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Eno Effect

christopher Martin

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Coldplay is extremely lucky to have Eno on board. I know we all want another album like AROBTTH, but as superfans (and we're ALL superfans if we're signed up for this site) we can't be too greedy. As a musician myself, I've experienced how boring writing music in one particular style can be, and I know that the guys want to evolve musically. Eno is helping them do just that. We don't want to get to a point where they become tired of writing music because they've explored all of the options they could in one style. Viva was the beginning of a new, more musically interesting Coldplay while still retaining everything that we loved from the previous albums. Personally, I'm excited to see where they go next; and I'm sure the band feels the same way.

You said it, mon ami. It's sad that even WITHIN the circle of Coldplay fans we have elitists; they're all, "Viva sucks, and if you like it, then you're not a real fan." Personally, I don't understand why the really "serious" fans say AROBTTH is so far above everything else. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great album--like, a really great album. But I didn't find anything in it that wasn't in any of the rest of Coldplay's music; uplifting messages, heartfelt lyrics, kickbutt musicianship, and all-around awesomeness. Maybe I'm just missing something. :\

Huh? Excuse me, but please read over my post again. Thank you.

I read what you said. I don't see why 'that is a bad record' is not considered an opinion. It may not be constructive criticism, but it's still an opinion.

And I still stick to what I said.

VIVA

Viva la vida is a great album its just different from the 3 others.... you just have to see it in another perspective and NO ENO is not ruining Coldplay's music is actually evolving... VIVA LA VIDA (song ) is a sure classic already and is one of the best songs for me ever made:cool:

How very nice of you people. I'll add you guys to my list of people who mildly dislike me. :dozey:

Oh, how cool you are, and totally badass, with your whole list of people who "mildly dislike" you! I do not mildly dislike, I find this quite amusing!

How daring, how... chivalrous.

I like X&Y better as well. But think about it: What does it say about a band when you can love their worst album?

I would say that it means that you enjoy them so much that even their worst album is still good?....., just not the best of the best. ...Its... the worst of the best?

And yeah I like X&Y the most ... of all Coldplay albums. Actually its my favorite album ever. ...there i said it!

As for Eno.... I have no idea who/what caused the change in their sound exactly. Although the beef I have with Viva isnt the sound... its the songs as a whole. It lacks sincerity to me. (Ill make an exception with Death and all His Friends because its so damn beautiful)

Chris has always written what he feels and knows and it comes out as Shiver or In My Place or Fix You...

I feel like he didnt quite do that as much with VLV.

Writing about Kings being overthrown?.... dressing up as french revolutionary soldiers?.... it just.... seemed like such a charade to me.

Which is why it was music to my ears to hear him say they're going to try and strip it down and do it less commercial next time.

I hope so.

I know he can write a beautiful about anything... but what makes it special to me is when he writes it from the heart.

Thats all I ask for on the next album... sincerity.

I would say that it means that you enjoy them so much that even their worst album is still good?....., just not the best of the best. ...Its... the worst of the best[/color]?

And yeah I like X&Y the most ... of all Coldplay albums. Actually its my favorite album ever. ...there i said it!

As for Eno.... I have no idea who/what caused the change in their sound exactly. Although the beef I have with Viva isnt the sound... its the songs as a whole. It lacks sincerity to me. (Ill make an exception with Death and all His Friends because its so damn beautiful)

Chris has always written what he feels and knows and it comes out as Shiver or In My Place or Fix You...

I feel like he didnt quite do that as much with VLV.

Writing about Kings being overthrown?.... dressing up as french revolutionary soldiers?.... it just.... seemed like such a charade to me.

Which is why it was music to my ears to hear him say they're going to try and strip it down and do it less commercial next time.

I hope so.

I know he can write a beautiful about anything... but what makes it special to me is when he writes it from the heart.

Thats all I ask for on the next album... sincerity.

+111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

i hate X&Y but i love 6 to 8 songs from it and whenever i tell ppl i hate it but then say that i love 8 songs of it they laugh, its true u love them so much that one even enjoys the albums they really suck at:P

chris has to start writing in the first person like he did in the past or coldplay would not remain the same :bigcry:

chris has to start writing in the first person like he did in the past or coldplay would not remain the same :bigcry:

^maybe they ran out of relatable and inspiring experiences.

You'll notice that.

When theres a lot more turmoil.... the music is better.... just look at the 60's and 70's. I still think that that was one of the best musical decades weve ever had.

I think they need something to really inspire them, to feel something or have something happen that gets them going. To me it seems like most of their best songs are written around strong feelings about something that happened to one of them/all of them.

Like... someone dieing

Love

Breakups

Unrequited love

Political/Environmental Issues

Guilt for wrongly kicking the drummer out the band *ahem*

maybe they just need something to happen to them personally to give them something powerful and personal and real to feel and write about.

i think that they changed a lot with viva la vida, not only in the songs...but the way they perform and the clothes and all that stuff. But they're always saying good things about Brian Eno, so let's hope that Brian is only 'inspiring' them, and not forcing them.

i think that they changed a lot with viva la vida, not only in the songs...but the way they perform and the clothes and all that stuff. But they're always saying good things about Brian Eno, so let's hope that Brian is only 'inspiring' them, and not forcing them.

I believe he is inspiring them as opposed to forcing them. I read an article about Eno in MOJO mag recently featuring a short interview with Chris, and he talked about just how many good ideas Eno brought to the table (i.e. staring with an instrumental, no drums on Viva la Vida, et cetera). He helped them to branch out, to get away from the norm. Because when you're in a band, it's sometimes easy to say, "Oh, that's not us." But Eno helped bring fresh ideas as they got rid of that mentality and rethought themselves and their music. The band said that X&Y was something people expected of them, and they wanted to so something totally different for LP4. Having Eno come on board was voluntary on the band's part. Viva was unprecedented as far as records go, and Eno was a big part of that, I think.

Yep i agree doing the same pattern can make people loose interest on the band even if You are a hardcore FAN, just make sure you do it right like they did on VLV , look at what Linkin park did waste of time on the new album , it doesnt sound good so people ignored it, even me as a LP fan, but with Coldplay nah, I think their music is evolving ... in a good way ofcourse

i disagree.

The "sound" may be different.

But the quality is not as good.

Id rather have less experimental songs that are powerful, moving, emotional ....than have songs that are "outside the box/comfort zone/ "evolved" and are empty, insincere shit.... which for the most part.... is what VLV was.

Maybe this next album they can balance it and it will be

creative and different

but still retaining the power and emotion that was in their previous 3 records.

And dear god, plz dont let KIIS FM get ahold of any more of their songs, and no damn "costumes" of "how they think rockstars should

dress"

VIVA LA VIDA IS THE WORST THING TO HAPPEN TO COLDPLAY SINCE GWYNETH PALTROW AND THE 40 YR OLD VIRGIN.

i disagree.

The "sound" may be different.

But the quality is not as good.

Id rather have less experimental songs that are powerful, moving, emotional ....than have songs that are "outside the box/comfort zone/ "evolved" and are empty, insincere shit.... which for the most part.... is what VLV was.

Maybe this next album they can balance it and it will be

creative and different

but still retaining the power and emotion that was in their previous 3 records.

And dear god, plz dont let KIIS FM get ahold of any more of their songs, and no damn "costumes" of "how they think rockstars should

dress"

VIVA LA VIDA IS THE WORST THING TO HAPPEN TO COLDPLAY SINCE GWYNETH PALTROW AND THE 40 YR OLD VIRGIN.

Those costumes are AWESOME! Too bad if you don't think so.

But wait; then why are you calling yourself ViVA Child, Gena? I am thoroughly confused...