✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Eno Effect

christopher Martin

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
I love how people "blame Eno", when it was really the NY Times article that got the ball of change rolling in the first place. If you want to blame anyone, blame the author of that article.

I'm curious; what article are you referring to? You see, I'm writing a post for my blog about the Viva process, and I'm wondering where it all started. Do you have any info on this NY Times article?

They are losing it. By trying this new stuff (which is rather boring to be honest which defeats the purpose) they are losing the simplicity and feeling that made it so good to begin with.

Down with VLV.

Exactly. To me it sounds like in VLV they're trying too hard to make good music, which makes it not as good as it could have been. :|

I think this subject is being over-thought. We've already established: some are pro-Viva, some are anti-Viva, and some don't care. It's as simple as that. I personally am pro-Viva; I don't necessarily think it's better than Oldplay (I love me some Parachutes), but it's certainly not worse.

• 1 month later...
They are losing it. By trying this new stuff (which is rather boring to be honest which defeats the purpose) they are losing the simplicity and feeling that made it so good to begin with.

Down with VLV.

OMV (Oh My Viva), you've got some serious issues. Viva La Vida is one of Coldplay's best albums! Boring? Viva?! You're calling Lost! boring?! Violet Hill, Strawberry Swing, Lovers in Japan, 42, BORING!?!!??!!!???!!!!????!!!!!?????

You don't deserve the name "Prospekt".

I now name you "Cheeseball".

"Exactly. To me it sounds like in VLV they're trying too hard to make good music, which makes it not as good as it could have been."

P.S. I mildly dislike you too.

OMV (Oh My Viva), you've got some serious issues. Viva La Vida is one of Coldplay's best albums! Boring? Viva?! You're calling Lost! boring?! Violet Hill, Strawberry Swing, Lovers in Japan, 42, BORING!?!!??!!!???!!!!????!!!!!?????

"Exactly. To me it sounds like in VLV they're trying too hard to make good music, which makes it not as good as it could have been."

Hahaha yes! I love that you said this! I can't comprehend how anyone could find VLV boring. I love Parachutes, but I feel if anyone was going to use the word "boring" to describe a Coldplay album, it would have to be that one.

Brian Eno is a master. He's hardly done anything at all to Coldplay's core structure. Honestly, people shouldn't complain so much. The band is still making the same type of music. They've not gone out to pasture on us.

In my opinion, it's improved and more interesting music.

Let's take this one and roast him on a stick! He sure seems mighty fiesty, what enjoyment to be had!

Seems people always think bands sellout after their first few albums. It's called musical progression. And if you really think about it, nothing will ever live up to most of your expectations. The band had their entire lives to write songs for their first few albums, after that, they are restricted by time. So obviously they won't be as fulfilling as the last.

I hate it when someone says: "that is a bad record", "that is a good record".

who the hell are you to say that? I mean, it's all relative. Art is a relative thing. So fucking state your opinions as they are, not claim as if you were the world's best critic ever.

PERSONALLY, I love Viva La Vida. It has something that most albums don't have. A story, a style, a feeling... Love it or hate it, you can't deny its originality, compared to the previous albums and compared to today's music.

Another thing I can't understand is why do people , fans of ANY musician out there HAVE to whine constantly about the new stuff... That's the way it is people , face it. Do you believe they'd still exist if they had released another Parachutes album? No, because they would have split, cuz they'd get bored of it. Or they would just become another band no one cares about (check Goo Goo Dolls for instant, all of their songs are the same).

Coldplay makes beautiful music. If you don't love it, well, your choice, just stop crying over spilt milk.

And I agree with the post above - it's not selling out, it's growing up. You can't write about the same stuff when you are 20 and when you are 30, 40...

Besides, if you love one side of someone (in this case one album of the band), then you should love the other one (other albums)...

LOL.

I hate it when someone says: "that is a bad record", "that is a good record".

who the hell are you to say that? I mean, it's all relative. Art is a relative thing. So fucking state your opinions as they are, not claim as if you were the world's best critic ever.

Who says saying "That is a bad record" or "This is a good record" is not an opinion?

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, live with it. Not everyone is gonna agree that Coldplay makes good music.

Oh, please. How mature. I happen to like Viva la Vida as well, but I don't go around inflicting my opinions on the world.

Well excuuuuse me, Miss Let's-not-inflict-our-opinion-upon. If no one spoke out, there would be no Viva. I respect the fact that you like Viva La Vida, but I was talking to Cheeseball, not you.

P.S. Yes I am very immature, how kind of you to notice.

P.P.S I mildly dislike you too.:D

I think Coldplay is extremely lucky to have Eno on board. I know we all want another album like AROBTTH, but as superfans (and we're ALL superfans if we're signed up for this site) we can't be too greedy. As a musician myself, I've experienced how boring writing music in one particular style can be, and I know that the guys want to evolve musically. Eno is helping them do just that. We don't want to get to a point where they become tired of writing music because they've explored all of the options they could in one style. Viva was the beginning of a new, more musically interesting Coldplay while still retaining everything that we loved from the previous albums. Personally, I'm excited to see where they go next; and I'm sure the band feels the same way.