✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Eno Effect

christopher Martin

Hi all,

I was just wondering what are peoples opinions of Mr Eno's affect on coldplay's music?

Personally I get a feeling of dread whenever I hear of him sending Chris back to the drawing board. I did like VLV but i feel like it wasnt as emotionally charged as the previous albums. Am i alone?

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was impressed by Viva, it was a stretch a bit for them, and they put out a quality album, if Eno was apart of them spreading their wings a bit in a new direction, and trying different approaches in the studio to help them grow as a band, then I think Eno was a good influence. I believe Eno is coming back for this album too, so obviously the band has faith in him.

I was impressed by Viva, it was a stretch a bit for them, and they put out a quality album, if Eno was apart of them spreading their wings a bit in a new direction, and trying different approaches in the studio to help them grow as a band, then I think Eno was a good influence. I believe Eno is coming back for this album too, so obviously the band has faith in him.

hmmm, when i first heard the album i thought it was brilliant, i still do but not in the same way as the previous 3. I think the songs dont have as much longevity, except for a few. Its weird because i loved songs like lovers in japan and life in technicolor ii when they first came out but for the last year i have found myself skipping them on my ipod, whereas old coldplay songs sound fresh everytime i hear them.

I do feel optimistic (great radiohead song) about LP5 though, mainly because I would love a christmas coldplay song and also because they may be returning to a more acoustic album, this makes me very happy, hopefully no playback or sound fx during songs too.

I agree, but I did like Viva. It just wasn't their best, and quite different. I would rather have them go in a different direction then they were heading with Viva and Eno. Eno might help them with this, but we won't know until the album comes out, will we?

I agree, but I did like Viva. It just wasn't their best, and quite different. I would rather have them go in a different direction then they were heading with Viva and Eno. Eno might help them with this, but we won't know until the album comes out, will we?

Yeh im not too sure on the direction either, to me it was like they were trying to do their own versions of other bands styles, 42 - radiohead, LIJ - U2, Cemeteries of london - the smiths? etc...I just want them to progress their own style and push their originality.

I think it's a question of how much influence he has. I think it can be a positive if a producer throws ideas at a band in an attempt to get them to experiment and see what they've got hidden. It's quite another thing to DIRECT them. With this said, I loved Viva.

One thing I like about Eno's involvement is I think he got the guys excited about the possibilities again. It's well known that they had lost some spark through X&Y and I think Eno got them back on the creative track. They seemed like a band having fun again through the Viva years. He's a consummate artist, but I trust Coldplay will stay true to themselves and not allow any outside influence to have too much say.

As an aside, my girlfriend is a long, long time U2 fan and she hates Eno. She calls him "the man with a straw," saying that after U2 comes up with an album, Eno comes in with his big straw and sucks the life out of it. :laugh3:

As an aside, my girlfriend is a long, long time U2 fan and she hates Eno. She calls him "the man with a straw," saying that after U2 comes up with an album, Eno comes in with his big straw and sucks the life out of it. :laugh3:

LOL I couldnt agree more with you girlfriend, thats such an accurate description IMO

viva separated them from bands like U2 and radiohead. and if they keep thinking the same, the album will be just as boring as the last. they need fresh stuff.

X&Y Boring?! no way!

Also ive got to disagree, Viva sounds more like U2 & radiohead than any other album. I think previous works like AROBTTH are the definition of coldplay's sound.

Viva made me realize how much I like the older albums ^^

I think it's great that they've tried something new, but I hope they won't go any further that this.. otherwise coldplay might end up as apparatjik or something..

X & Y was as fresh as any album for me when it first came out, but it quickly died. Today, it's still mostly a dead album to me. I say that in the sense that I felt like it had no life. I get bored listening to X & Y. Even the songs I really love from it aren't that interesting. The end of Fix You and A Message were the only songs that I felt had true life in them. The Hardest Part and Swallowed in the Sea are personal favorites. And I've loved The Hardest Part in acoustic live.

That said, I think Eno being back as an influence is an excellent thing. I said this in another thread already, so I apologize for repeating myself. But I'm a pretty open minded music listener. I like new things, new bands and new sounds. Eno brought that to Coldplay. What was old and stale found new life. That's what Viva la Vida was to me - ALIVE.

The emotions were more complex and perhaps less syrupy. But honestly, I think the emotion found it's way into the music perfectly. Strawberry Swing is bliss to me. The self reflection of Viva la Vida (the song) is there in spades, even as the music gallops along. Same with Violet Hill. There are lines in each and every song that are emotional to me. Throughout the trio of SS, LIT2 and NMFWTTG, the line "now my feet won't touch the ground" is repeated. Chris has reached this blissful state because his children (SS), his wife (LIT2) and the band/his friends (NMFWTTG).

To me, Eno brought life back to Coldplay. Excitement. He got me excited. I'm happy he's back, and I'm happier it's in a limited role. He gave them a list of rules and thoughts and now they're on their way. Coldplay have loads of ideas, they just need the structure to reach them. Eno gave them that. I can't wait for LP5 because I've never been able to wait for any Coldplay album. But I have high hopes.

And what everyone needs to know is, Eno won't let Coldplay stagnate. So don't expect VLV part 2. For all those who didn't like it that much, that should be good news.

• 1 month later...
Hi all,

I was just wondering what are peoples opinions of Mr Eno's affect on coldplay's music?

Personally I get a feeling of dread whenever I hear of him sending Chris back to the drawing board. I did like VLV but i feel like it wasnt as emotionally charged as the previous albums. Am i alone?

i don't agree, i think he did a great job on the last record, it was the best thing for them at the time

• 3 weeks later...

Brian Eno is ruining Coldplay's music

Too bad he's working with them even on the new album.

He's turning them into a world music band,when they are MORE....MUCH MORE than that.

Now almost every song (with eno behind their back) must be weird, irregular....we can say goodbye to the old good coldplay if they continue to work with him.