✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Eno Effect

christopher Martin

I continue to be mystified by people saying that Viva la Vida was the band's "mainstream" attempt. I mean...really? Coldplay have NEVER been an indie band except in the days when all bands are indie bands - when they start. Even then they got signed by Parlophone right away. Yellow couldn't be more mainstream.

I think people might get the wrong idea when I say this. I love Coldplay. They're my favorite band ever. But they've never been indie. And if anything, this album has brought them closer to that than X & Y. I think in terms of creativity, Viva la Vida ranks highest. Originality - well Coldplay aren't that original. They joke about it, but truly they are great blenders of music. Bands that become the best always are. Think of U2 (NOT BECAUSE THEY'RE MUSIC IS THE SAME AS COLDPLAY ALL YOU LOONS WHO HATE U2), they have done so many different sounds and yet kept it pretty close to mainstream.

That's what Coldplay always have been. The only reason they weren't on the radio all the time wasn't because of their music, it was because the lyrics had emotion. People don't like most songs that have legitimate emotion - the masses don't at least. But this album had everything.

Too many fans on this forum have failed to read into the emotion of the song Viva la Vida - that's truly the most blunt statement I've ever made on this thread, so I'm sorry to offend anyone, but it's getting irritating. Into all the songs frankly. I keep hearing that Coldplay changed. Chris just matured. The band matured. They're going new places that they can be proud of.

To continue the blunt questions...has no one read into the song Viva la Vida to see that in many way's Chris is talking about the disappointment of being on top of the world after the first two albums and seeing it all fall down with X & Y? His castle standing on pillars of salt and sand? Yeah, meaning the world collapsed. People called the band shit. "Revolutionaries wait for my head on a silver plate." <-------- Critics anyone????

Read the song as you will, but understand it's anything but simple radio-friendly crap. Brian Eno DOESN'T DO THAT KIND OF THING ANYWAYS!!!! WHAT IS EVERYONE MISSING ABOUT THIS GUY????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Maybe it's not, "When you try your best, but you don't succeed", but it's still pretty damn emotional. Just in a less straight forward way. I mean, my favorite Coldplay song is The Scientist, precisely for it's emotion. But not all emotions are straightforward. Coldplay will benefit from being less straightforward all the time. There's nothing wrong with it in places, but emotions aren't simple.

Rant over. :dozey:

Oh, and someone really should do some comparison between lyrics from all Coldplay albums. The most mainstream songs on VLV I think were Lovers in Japan and Lost - and they weren't even good radio hits. Viva la Vida is the only song that did well, and I'm sorry, but I refuse to call that song more mainstream than songs like Fix You and Yellow. ALSO: there are always going to be single worthy songs on albums.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing. Can anyone think of Coldplay in this situation? If we're all such big fans, shouldn't we be happy that they've made a record they're proud of. That they've brought in people they want to work with.

I realize everyone has their own tastes in music, but we shouldn't wish Coldplay to stagnate just because our interests remain the same.

edit : How many solo Chris Martin without the band Coldplay there is now in the radios ?

Coldplay become a solo Chris Martin love me :thinking:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjIKXNpfiYA]YouTube- Life in Technicolor ii - Chris Martin (Coldplay) - Capital Radio[/ame]

Another thing. Can anyone think of Coldplay in this situation? If we're all such big fans, shouldn't we be happy that they've made a record they're proud of. That they've brought in people they want to work with.

I realize everyone has their own tastes in music, but we shouldn't wish Coldplay to stagnate just because our interests remain the same.

THIS.

They started a band because they wanted to make music. That's their passion. It's what they do for a living, not what we want them to do for a living.

footyfan i agree with everything you said 100%

Look deep into the lyrics -

Those who are dead are not dead there just living in my head

The sky could be blue, I don't mind, without you its a waste of time

If you love me won't you let me

That talks of love and death, if that isn't emotion I don't no what is#

Eno is a genius who expands there minds not a dictator or a tyrant...he is move of an influence rather than pushing them into things

I think you are giving Eno too much credit (or blame). From what I understand, he created scenarios for the band in an attempt to make them break out of their comfort zone. That's the reason they hired him. He didn't write the music. He set the stage and made them approach their composing differently. Whether you like it or not, the band seemed much happier during the Viva years. I think they were very proud of their accomplishment, as they should be. In order to grow, you must take risks. I'd rather have a band that experiments and fails than one that sits safely on their laurels, never reaching for the extraordinary. They are artists. Artists must create. Coldplay are in the fortunate place where they have the luxury of creating for the sake of creating. They don't have to pander to the masses. Kudos to them.

If I've one criticism about the Viva years, it's all of Chris's acrobatics. I know he is trying to carry big arenas, but his voice often suffered because he was out of breath. I'd prefer less theatrics and let the music carry the message. It's good enough to do that -- Parachutes to Viva.

I continue to be mystified by people saying that Viva la Vida was the band's "mainstream" attempt. I mean...really? Coldplay have NEVER been an indie band except in the days when all bands are indie bands - when they start. Even then they got signed by Parlophone right away. Yellow couldn't be more mainstream.

I think people might get the wrong idea when I say this. I love Coldplay. They're my favorite band ever. But they've never been indie. And if anything, this album has brought them closer to that than X & Y. I think in terms of creativity, Viva la Vida ranks highest. Originality - well Coldplay aren't that original. They joke about it, but truly they are great blenders of music. Bands that become the best always are. Think of U2 (NOT BECAUSE THEY'RE MUSIC IS THE SAME AS COLDPLAY ALL YOU LOONS WHO HATE U2), they have done so many different sounds and yet kept it pretty close to mainstream.

That's what Coldplay always have been. The only reason they weren't on the radio all the time wasn't because of their music, it was because the lyrics had emotion. People don't like most songs that have legitimate emotion - the masses don't at least. But this album had everything.

Too many fans on this forum have failed to read into the emotion of the song Viva la Vida - that's truly the most blunt statement I've ever made on this thread, so I'm sorry to offend anyone, but it's getting irritating. Into all the songs frankly. I keep hearing that Coldplay changed. Chris just matured. The band matured. They're going new places that they can be proud of.

To continue the blunt questions...has no one read into the song Viva la Vida to see that in many way's Chris is talking about the disappointment of being on top of the world after the first two albums and seeing it all fall down with X & Y? His castle standing on pillars of salt and sand? Yeah, meaning the world collapsed. People called the band shit. "Revolutionaries wait for my head on a silver plate." <-------- Critics anyone????

Read the song as you will, but understand it's anything but simple radio-friendly crap. Brian Eno DOESN'T DO THAT KIND OF THING ANYWAYS!!!! WHAT IS EVERYONE MISSING ABOUT THIS GUY????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Maybe it's not, "When you try your best, but you don't succeed", but it's still pretty damn emotional. Just in a less straight forward way. I mean, my favorite Coldplay song is The Scientist, precisely for it's emotion. But not all emotions are straightforward. Coldplay will benefit from being less straightforward all the time. There's nothing wrong with it in places, but emotions aren't simple.

Rant over. :dozey:

Oh, and someone really should do some comparison between lyrics from all Coldplay albums. The most mainstream songs on VLV I think were Lovers in Japan and Lost - and they weren't even good radio hits. Viva la Vida is the only song that did well, and I'm sorry, but I refuse to call that song more mainstream than songs like Fix You and Yellow. ALSO: there are always going to be single worthy songs on albums.

Coldplay may not be indie

and im not saying the band as a whole is mainstream

but..im saying this album, the whole viva era was more comercial than the previous ones ...which it was

and there IS a difference between being commercial and overly "put together" and being mainstream

as for them being mainstream ...well they are alternative rock so...

and I cant even listen to Viva La Vida anymore it is soo overplayed.

and "All fall down with X & Y" ...X and Y was just another Rung they climbed on the ladder to awesomeness. I f'ing love that Album.

the only "Falling down" that orruced during X and Y was this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUbSpIY46K0]YouTube- Coldplay - Chris Martin Falls[/ame]

and even then he made it work

and besides ...Chris has said that Viva La Vida isnt really about him

...personally

I preferr to hear him sing about what HE/Guy/Will/Jonny/THEY feel instead of writing up songs for hypothetical situations.

I think you are giving Eno too much credit (or blame). From what I understand, he created scenarios for the band in an attempt to make them break out of their comfort zone. That's the reason they hired him. He didn't write the music. He set the stage and made them approach their composing differently. Whether you like it or not, the band seemed much happier during the Viva years. I think they were very proud of their accomplishment, as they should be. In order to grow, you must take risks. I'd rather have a band that experiments and fails than one that sits safely on their laurels, never reaching for the extraordinary. They are artists. Artists must create. Coldplay are in the fortunate place where they have the luxury of creating for the sake of creating. They don't have to pander to the masses. Kudos to them.

Exactly!

A.

Coldplay may not be indie

and im not saying the band as a whole is mainstream

but..im saying this album, the whole viva era was more comercial than the previous ones ...which it was

and there IS a difference between being commercial and overly "put together" and being mainstream.

I wouldn't disagree about the commercial aspect. I don't think anyone could - they did an iTunes commercial... :rolleyes:

ALTHOUGH, I did think it was a cool commercial

and Pink, I completely agree with the acrobatics. I was lucky to see them live this tour (first time), and I loved it and I love that Chris was having a good time with it. Exuberance isn't a bad thing, but hopefully their next tour he tones it down just a little bit.

If I've one criticism about the Viva years, it's all of Chris's acrobatics. I know he is trying to carry big arenas, but his voice often suffered because he was out of breath. I'd prefer less theatrics and let the music carry the message. It's good enough to do that -- Parachutes to Viva.

^^ This

Also, I don't think they have become "mainstream", at least not where I live, though they are certainly more popular worldwide. If you think about it, "Viva La Vida", which I agree is overplayed, may be the only song (perhaps LIJ,too:thinking:) that would fit into the music that we hear everyday on the radio, but it's only one or two songs from the whole record. Therefore, I would not consider VLVODAAHF as a mainstream or purely commercial album since I don't see how songs like 42, Death And All His Friends or Chinese Sleep Chant could be taken as mainstream music.

They are certainly experimental and hence, they sound different from their previous work and you may like it or not ( I admit it took me a while to open my mind and accept the new direction they had given to their music) but I don't think they could be accused of going commercial. We'll have to wait and see what will happen with LP5...

Great post!!!

While I'm not normally one to criticize the man behind the production of The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby, I can't help but feel that Eno's taken a hit over the years. I don't think he necessarily made Coldplay "commercial", as I have always considered them at least somewhat in that category, but I do think he sent them down a path that - musically - it's difficult to turn back from. Depending on who you are, this is either fantastic or dreadful news. I honestly think those hoping LP5 will return to the style of Parachutes are setting themselves up for even further disappointment, regardless of whether or not they go more "acoustic" like they say.

I sound pessimistic, but I did enjoy Viva for what it's worth, and am looking forward to LP5 all the same. But I'm also being realistic about Coldplay's evolution. With Eno or without him, it's difficult to turn back.

I honestly think those hoping LP5 will return to the style of Parachutes are setting themselves up for even further disappointment, regardless of whether or not they go more "acoustic" like they say.

[/color]

I sound pessimistic, but I did enjoy Viva for what it's worth, and am looking forward to LP5 all the same. But I'm also being realistic about Coldplay's evolution. With Eno or without him, it's difficult to turn back.

Great post! I agree, somewhat. I agree that they will head down a different path musically, however, I don't think that is because of Eno. I think it's because they are not the 20-somethings that wrote Parachutes. They have amassed years & experiences and if they are true to themselves, as any artist should be, they are not going to revisit Parachutes. That's their past. They are looking ahead.

Also another point that I think gets lost...why was Parachutes so special? Part of its appeal was because of the time it was released. They & it were so different from the other music at the time. It was a time when grunge was getting old and worn. Chris & Co. were fresh-faced and different. This happens all the time in music.

I'm really excited to see what they come up with! :)

I have a question:

if, as some of you said, Brian Eno brought a needed improvement to Coldplay's music, what were the bad parts before? Er bad wording because none of you will answer that if I put any kind of negative word near the sacred mention of Coldplay. What needed improving, what was so lacking that this... change, was a very good thing?

I find myself agreeing with Dejan oddly here, Coldplay ain't a world music band, no idea why they're trying. "Musical horizons", whoopdedoo, I guess.

I have a question:

if, as some of you said, Brian Eno brought a needed improvement to Coldplay's music, what were the bad parts before? Er bad wording because none of you will answer that if I put any kind of negative word near the sacred mention of Coldplay. What needed improving, what was so lacking that this... change, was a very good thing?

I find myself agreeing with Dejan oddly here, Coldplay ain't a world music band, no idea why they're trying. "Musical horizons", whoopdedoo, I guess.

Wanting to change has nothing to do with thinking their old stuff is bad. It's about getting bored with the same old thing. Should the Beatles have sung variations of "She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah" their entire careers? If you listen to interviews, you will see how vast Coldplay's music interests are. How many times has Chris mentioned Tinariwen? Going out to search for a cheap tap piano? A church bell? This is a band that wants to explore other sounds, they don't want to only sing love-lost ballads. It was great but been there, done that.

Coldplay's relationship with Eno isn't a "which-came-first-chicken-or-egg?" situation. It wasn't they hired Eno and they changed. It was they wanted change and hired Eno.

I'll tell you one thing, if they are serious about scaling back and making their sound "smaller" for #5, I'm very curious, because Eno doesn't do small. Now, that would be change!

Wanting to change has nothing to do with thinking their old stuff is bad. It's about getting bored with the same old thing. Should the Beatles have sung variations of "She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah" their entire careers? If you listen to interviews, you will see how vast Coldplay's music interests are. How many times has Chris mentioned Tinariwen? Going out to search for a cheap tap piano? A church bell? This is a band that wants to explore other sounds, they don't want to only sing love-lost ballads. It was great but been there, done that.

I am asking what there was that was improved and you went off on a tangent :{ don't be so predictable it makes a Cobalt sad

Credits for finally getting to the point about being there done that at the end though, although they seriously didn't ALWAYS sing love-lost ballads. Just a fair chunk of songs that could be interpreted that way.

I am asking what there was that was improved and you went off on a tangent :{ don't be so predictable it makes a Cobalt sad

Credits for finally getting to the point about being there done that at the end though, although they seriously didn't ALWAYS sing love-lost ballads. Just a fair chunk of songs that could be interpreted that way.

Again (and succinctly, don't want a sad Colbalt), not better, just different.