✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall (OUT THIS FRI(ROW)/SAT (UK)!!) - [Walking Man and Videos + GIFs + Scre

Am I the only one who likes the lyrics? :huh2:

I mean if you take a look at "Fix You", the lyrics are so simple yet it still managed to be a great song.

You are not. I find little fault with them either. :) People are probably just getting impatient and a little on the critical side, wanting news of the new album and everything I think.

Plus, I mean, they're MUSICIANS not POETS. I've always felt the focus should be on the music. I can love a song with great music and subpar lyrics. I cannot, on the other hand, get into a song with awful music no matter how good the lyrics are. I mean Coldplay isn't a pop or rap group, they don't just cheese the melody/beats and concentrate on the lyrics (And I'm not saying all do necessarily but some do for sure). The music itself is the primary focus as far as I can tell *as it should be*. Plus I'd rather have them writing their own lyrics, great or not, as opposed to bringing in seasoned writers to write the lyrics for them. I know some of the bands I like turned to that. Not cool. :|

1. These Kurds suck because saying things like "playing my song" is a line that popstars use, not good rockstars.

Fine. But they're NOT Miley Cyrus. And that's NOT what they're saying. There's a difference between "playing my song" and "I got my records on". The only way "records" has anything connection with pop is if you just arrived in a time machine from the 1960's. It's not like they're saying "I got my iPod on" or something like that. Seriously. It's retro and nostalgic- I like it.

I'm pretty sure that if we had just had the bare "I hear Jerusalem bells a-ringing, Roman cavalry choirs are singing", without a title, any other lyrics, etc, many people would have been quite nervous :P

I can't agree more! In fact, if I'm not mistaken, they had released some artwork/lyrics before the album or the singles came out. I distinctly remember a picture that said "Reign of Love" on it, in blue I believe and those lyrics happened to be on there and I thought "well that is going to be such a bad song." And I couldn't have been more wrong! :P

One more thing. And this is just a personal afterthought. I printed out the lyrics and I looked at them throughout various times of the day during school. And then this hit me. What if the lyrics aren't in the exact order? I mean, would they just make it that easy? Somehow, this lyrical swap seemed to make more sense to me.

From

Maybe the streets alight,

maybe the trees are gone.

I feel my heart start beating

to my favorite song.

I turn the music up,

I got my records on.

I shut the world outside

until the lights come on.

To

I shut the world outside

I turn the music up,

I got my records on.

to my favorite song.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fine. But they're NOT Miley Cyrus. And that's NOT what they're saying. There's a difference between "playing my song" and "I got my records on". The only way "records" has anything connection with pop is if you just arrived in a time machine from the 1960's. It's not like they're saying "I got my iPod on" or something like that. Seriously. It's retro and nostalgic- I like it.

As a stand alone lyric "I got my records on" isn't bad, but with "I turn the music up", "I got my records on", and "I feel my heart beating to my favorite song", it sounds like pop music. I'm sure the tune of the song will fix that though.

Well it was the day after it was released...

Just kidding, but even though it is part of the lyrics, people are saying that to go along with the lyrics Coldplay will do something big on Monday.

"One more thing. And this is just a personal afterthought. I printed out the lyrics and I looked at them throughout various times of the day during school. And then this hit me. What if the lyrics aren't in the exact order? I mean, would they just make it that easy? Somehow, this lyrical swap seemed to make more sense to me.

From

to my favorite song.

I turn the music up,

I got my records on.

I shut the world outside

To

I shut the world outside

I turn the music up,

I got my records on.

to my favorite song."

Much better! They are musicians and poets!

About the song be pop or rock, I don't know... But, if the song is a pop-song, which is the problem? It will be pop music in the Coldplay's rock style. :D

I very much disagree with everyone who says lyrics are not important. At least for me, good lyrics are essential in a truly great song. I almost think that everyone who is saying that "oh, these lyrics aren't great but the melody will make up for it," is trying to console themselves because folks, these are not good lyrics.

I'll reserve final judgement for when I hear the song a few times, but honestly I'm not getting my hopes up.

I very much disagree with everyone who says lyrics are not important. At least for me, good lyrics are essential in a truly great song. I almost think that everyone who is saying that "oh, these lyrics aren't great but the melody will make up for it," is trying to console themselves because folks, these are not good lyrics.

I'll reserve final judgement for when I hear the song a few times, but honestly I'm not getting my hopes up.

Calm down dear. I doubt they are in the correct order - otherwise this reveal is a bit shitty....

Calm down dear. I doubt they are in the correct order - otherwise this reveal is a bit shitty....

Order is irrelevant. Besides, if I don't get my hopes up, then I will most likely be pleasantly surprised if (when) Coldplay delivers once again. :cool:

.... I think the lyrics are fine.

I mean, it's good to finally have SOMETHING, you know?

And then everybody's just ripping on it. You don't know for sure that this will be pop, or that Coldplay has lost their rock style.... you'll just have to wait until the single/album comes out to see for yourselves.

I hope we'll be getting more or something though. I could get quite used to speculating like this :lol:

7am, waking up on Monday morning

Gotta be fresh, gotta go downstairs

Gotta have my bowl, gotta have cereal

Seein’ everything, the time is goin’

Tickin’ on and on, everybody’s rushin’

Gotta get down to the bus stop

Gotta catch my bus, I see my friends (MY friends, not yours)

Kickin’ in the front seat

Sittin’ in the back seat

Gotta make my mind up

Which seat can I take? (none, fuck off)

It’s Monday morning, Monday morning

Gotta get down on Monday

Everybody’s lookin’ forward to Tuesday, Tuesday

Monday, Monday

Gettin’ down on a Monday

Everybody’s lookin’ forward to the rest of the bladdy week (shit happens)

Guest howyousawtheworld

How can you say they are not good lyrics? That's up to personal judgment and besides NONE of us have heard the song and not seen all the lyrics so to start passing full judgement on the lyrics like that is ridiculous. I personally really like them in that they are different and unColdplaylike and display a totally different theme from what we are used to. Of course the rest of the lyrics could ruin those good lyrics but still these are good lyrics.

VERY good lyrics.

I honestly believe monday is just part of the lyrics. I mean, The Beatles' 'Yesterday' wasn't released yesterday, was it?

ahahaha :lol: but I agree, I don't think this is any hint about something on Monday...

Sittin’ in the back seat

Gotta make my mind up

Gotta get down on Monday

Monday, Monday

Gettin’ down on a Monday

brilliant :awesome:

although I have to admit, these new Coldplay lyrics keep reminding me of Party in the USA, and it's both frightening and annoying me that my mind has drawn that connection :P

Sittin’ in the back seat

Gotta make my mind up

Gotta get down on Monday

Monday, Monday

Gettin’ down on a Monday

:lol: