✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

New Coldplay eh?

MrMagpie

OK, now that I've listened to this song twice, I can make a proper assessment.

It's a grower, that's for sure. I liked it better after hearing it the second time. I rather love the guitar bits.

With that being said, however, I'm quite annoyed with Chris Martin's vocals. The balance is off, the beginning is a bit repetetive, and the "WHOA"s and the waterfall bit at the end are annoying. I don't get it.

:nod:

but after a while the song becomes irritating and why did he need auto tune

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest howyousawtheworld

Christmas Lights by the second time I listened to it was fabulous I thought. A few times round I'm still undecided on this one bar the guitar parts.

Christmas Lights by the second time I listened to it was fabulous I thought. A few times round I'm still undecided on this one bar the guitar parts.

Oddly enough, the vocals were something that annoyed me about "Christmas Lights," too. That, and the random time and tempo change in the second half that doesn't quite work with the first half.

MY HUMBLE OPINION

I posted this in the Coldplay section, but I realize that some of you do not venture there so I will post it here as well.

So after a few listens, here are my initial thoughts on ETIAW.

At the opening of the song, after hearing the synth/whatever I thought wow that article from The Sun (before the song was even released) was right: “The new Coldplay single Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall is an up-tempo hit. It is crying out for Swedish House Mafia to get their hands on it for anthemic Ibiza club nights.” I was hoping they were joking, but they were spot-on. I heard the guitar part and thought oh interesting Jonny is doing something a little different. I do like the overall build-up of the song.

That being said, the lyrics didn’t seem any better (originally I wasn’t going to pass judgment on them until I listened to the song). And I don’t care for Chris’ “singing”; I wouldn’t really call it singing, yet I don’t want to go so far as to call it rapping either (that would be an insult to rappers). But then I realized it was probably a good thing he is doing this. Why? Because it is obviously supposed to be an “arena” song. And we all know how much Mr. Energizer Bunny loves to hop around and cover every bit of the stage, which screws up his singing and makes it choppy. Therefore, with this song he can do all that hopping around and his “singing” will still manage to sound like the studio version.

To further play on the “arena” quality of the song, we all know that’s a part of every era. Yellow for Parachutes, Clocks for AROBTTH, Fix You for X&Y, and VLV for VLVODAAHF. So in that sense, I can’t completely bash ETIAW. It’s a requirement of sorts, especially considering they haven’t yet released LP5 and they start festivals tonight.

My favorite part of the song is 3:01 – 4:03; based on my last comment in the first paragraph and all of the second paragraph, you can figure out why.

I’m mildly annoyed by the fact that they sampled something else. Oddly enough last night I was watching Fuse and Jay Z’s “Big Pimpin” came on, which sampled an Egyptian song. R&B / rappers have made an art form of sampling and do it very well. However I cringe knowing it is such an obvious part of this new song. Chris, I realize Jay Z is your buddy, but you don’t have to try to be like him.

Oh and a big WTF for iTunes labeling this song as Alternative. Seriously.

SO… even though I’m not a huge fan of ETIAW, I’m still looking forward to LP5. Just like my gut instinct was that ETIAW would be an upbeat song, my gut instinct is that ETIAW will not be representative of LP5 as a whole. So in that sense I’m looking forward to seeing good quality videos tomorrow from the festival, since apparently they will be playing multiple new songs, not just ETIAW.

SO… even though I’m not a huge fan of ETIAW, I’m still looking forward to LP5. Just like my gut instinct was that ETIAW would be an upbeat song, my gut instinct is that ETIAW will not be representative of LP5 as a whole. So in that sense I’m looking forward to seeing good quality videos tomorrow from the festival, since apparently they will be playing multiple new songs, not just ETIAW.

I agree with this. I hope LP5 won't be like this

It's a grower, that's for sure. I liked it better after hearing it the second time. I rather love the guitar bits.

With that being said, however, I'm quite annoyed with Chris Martin's vocals. The balance is off, the beginning is a bit repetetive, and the "WHOA"s and the waterfall bit at the end are annoying. I don't get it.

I'm going with Violet's comment here. I liked the drums and guitars, and yeah, like Violet said, it will definitely grow on me if I decide to listen to it a lot. But Chris's vocals was just a spoiler. The vocal lines, in general.

Guest howyousawtheworld

For those disappointed at least it's lowered expectations. Nothing worse than having high expectations dashed.

Lame.

Actually, what's lame is the fact that you would single me out on something I said in a conversation that didn't even involve you. Quit being such a troll.

For those disappointed at least it's lowered expectations. Nothing worse than having high expectations dashed.

True.

I can't help but think every time I hear this song that it is a failed attempt at Snow patrol's "just say yes". Which is a superior song in so many ways.

That's actually a good point--It reminds me of "Just Say Yes" a lot, which I also really like. I agree, that song is probably "better" for reasons I can't really articulate, but I feel like something that's been nagging me all morning has been answered :D

As someone who actually prefers the Viva era to their older stuff, I gotta say that I enjoy this song. I mean, it's nothing special. The lyrics are still pretty bad. But I love the guitar riff, I like the synth, and I actually kinda like how Chris's voice is slightly drowned out. It almost sounds like he used a filter on this song. The vocals are kind of reminiscent of A Spell A Rebel Yell. It's definitely not the best, but it's good, plus it might end up sounding better in context with the actual album. And it will definitely sound great live. I've always preferred live versions of Coldplay songs anyways.

I agree with almost everything but the preferring the Viva era and the preferring live versions. I guess I'm just trying to take everything they do from now on at face value--if I enjoy it when I hear it, then so be it, and I'm going to try not to relate it back in a mournful way to all their older stuff that I first fell in love with. I still have my qualms with their promo/PR/management etc, but I think that's for a number of reasons, least of which because that's what I hope to work up to career-wise and I kind of nitpick that stuff from an outsider's point of view.

I just...really like the song for what it is. When I compare it back to my favorite Coldplay songs, sure it pales in comparison, ESPECIALLY lyrically. But I think this song serves a purpose. I'd like their overall purpose to be a little more than "hey, it's fun and will sell" and I'd like them to infuse more depth into the rest of the album (if this is to even be on the album at all), but I'm looking forward to hearing this one live and enjoying it for its fluffiness.

^^ Me? A moody cow? Hardly. If anyone's being moody, it's you. You wouldn't continue to harass me if you weren't.

Your the one who can't take a joke. Anyway lets not fill this thread up with pap as we already have ETIAW to discuss :)

Listening to it again, I'm so disappointed, sad and angry at this band. Nothing but a bunch of sell outs. The songs they are making now are not even close to how musical they were before. Yeah there may be more instruments in the songs, but doesn't make the songwriting any better. For this band "less is more" is something that always worked for them. It's just annoying to have a band that used to be so good just get so bad. Hearing Christmas Lights I was excited for the possibility of them going back to their roots, but this song has just destroyed all of those hopes and possibilities in my ears.

I'll listen to LP5, but my expectations are even lower than my expectations for this new song which was already low enough.

^^ A joke? How did anything you said come off as a joke? Either way, I didn't find it amusing. Calling people lame and referring to them as a cow is not funny in any sort of way.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to put you on my ignore list and move on my merry way.

Listening to it again, I'm so disappointed, sad and angry at this band. Nothing but a bunch of sell outs. The songs they are making now are not even close to how musical they were before. Yeah there may be more instruments in the songs, but doesn't make the songwriting any better. For this band "less is more" is something that always worked for them. It's just annoying to have a band that used to be so good just get so bad. Hearing Christmas Lights I was excited for the possibility of them going back to their roots, but this song has just destroyed all of those hopes and possibilities in my ears.

I'll listen to LP5, but my expectations are even lower than my expectations for this new song which was already low enough.

I'm glad you said this, because it's basically the raw form of what I was feeling. Yes, I've dissed the new song several times already, but I haven't gone into detail any of those times.

I thought "Christmas Lights" was an okay song. It wasn't fantastic, but it had a lot of successful elements going for it - simplicity in the instruments, good build-up, and vocal variety. Liked it better than half of Viva, which is an album that I repeatedly call "hit-and-miss". Yes, there were songs I disliked, but probably nothing as much as I dislike this. And in spite of "Viva la Vida" (the song) being the poppiest track they've ever done, it was still something I considered to be above the rest of the dreck that made it atop the radio charts. I can't say that here.

I defended the songs on Viva that I did and still do enjoy (there's like...4 of them that I think hold up with their best past work), and if LP5 comes out and there's good songs on it, I'll defend those too. I won't be defending ETIAW.

^^ A joke? How did anything you said come off as a joke? Either way, I didn't find it amusing. Calling people lame and referring to them as a cow is not funny in any sort of way.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to put you on my ignore list and move on my merry way.

Ignore list? What are you 12?

Guest howyousawtheworld

Less is more for Coldplay? I'd agree with you on that. When doing acoustic sets Coldplay are in a class of their own in my opinion. Fabulous but there just seems to be far too much going on in this new song of theirs. I was a massive fan of Lovers In Japan which like this song was over produced but it still worked - even though the acoustic Lovers In Japan was possibly the best track from the whole Viva era...along with Cemeteries of London. But yeah - less is more for Coldplay.

Less is more for Coldplay? I'd agree with you on that. When doing acoustic sets Coldplay are in a class of their own in my opinion. Fabulous but there just seems to be far too much going on in this new song of theirs. I was a massive fan of Lovers In Japan which like this song was over produced but it still worked - even though the acoustic Lovers In Japan was possibly the best track from the whole Viva era...along with Cemeteries of London. But yeah - less is more for Coldplay.

Yeh the thing is a acoustic version of ETIAW - those lyrics would stand out even more. :(