✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

New Coldplay eh?

MrMagpie

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

journalists without really knowing the music. and they are not professionals

So after a few listens, here are my initial thoughts on ETIAW.

At the opening of the song, after hearing the synth/whatever I thought wow that article from The Sun (before the song was even released) was right: “The new Coldplay single Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall is an up-tempo hit. It is crying out for Swedish House Mafia to get their hands on it for anthemic Ibiza club nights.” I was hoping they were joking, but they were spot-on. I heard the guitar part and thought oh interesting Jonny is doing something a little different. I do like the overall build-up of the song.

That being said, the lyrics didn’t seem any better (originally I wasn’t going to pass judgment on them until I listened to the song). And I don’t care for Chris’ “singing”; I wouldn’t really call it singing, yet I don’t want to go so far as to call it rapping either (that would be an insult to rappers). But then I realized it was probably a good thing he is doing this. Why? Because it is obviously supposed to be an “arena” song. And we all know how much Mr. Energizer Bunny loves to hop around and cover every bit of the stage, which screws up his singing and makes it choppy. Therefore, with this song he can do all that hopping around and his “singing” will still manage to sound like the studio version.

To further play on the “arena” quality of the song, we all know that’s a part of every era. Yellow for Parachutes, Clocks for AROBTTH, Fix You for X&Y, and VLV for VLVODAAHF. So in that sense, I can’t completely bash ETIAW. It’s a requirement of sorts, especially considering they haven’t yet released LP5 and they start festivals tonight.

My favorite part of the song is 3:01 – 4:03; based on my last comment in the first paragraph and all of the second paragraph, you can figure out why.

I’m mildly annoyed by the fact that they sampled something else. Oddly enough last night I was watching Fuse and Jay Z’s “Big Pimpin” came on, which sampled an Egyptian song. R&B / rappers have made an art form of sampling and do it very well. However I cringe knowing it is such an obvious part of this new song. Chris, I realize Jay Z is your buddy, but you don’t have to try to be like him.

Oh and a big WTF for iTunes labeling this song as Alternative. Seriously.

SO… even though I’m not a huge fan of ETIAW, I’m still looking forward to LP5. Just like my gut instinct was that ETIAW would be an upbeat song, my gut instinct is that ETIAW will not be representative of LP5 as a whole. So in that sense I’m looking forward to seeing good quality videos tomorrow from the festival, since apparently they will be playing multiple new songs, not just ETIAW.

for once Coldplay have their own music and influances, tradisional just heard. it's silly to denigrate their origin, really .

example of all this :

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kf_6BWcOOg]YouTube - ‪Coldplay - Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall (Official)‬‏[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEUHfqftkLY]YouTube - ‪? Scottish Music - Highland Cathedral ?‬‏[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IxKM77KM64&feature=fvwrel]YouTube - ‪Scottish folk music‬‏[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y01pCYwCi2w&feature=related]YouTube - ‪Traditional Scottish Wedding Dance‬‏[/ame]

It's nice to be in a thread with people who actually listen to the lyrics and melody. :D

not really have listen melody :dozey:

I just had an epiphany. I'm just going to ramble on about it in here. It seems like an appropriate place. It's gonna be fanlike in nature; please don't judge me.

I just got through listening to "Gravity." It's a beautiful song (in my opinion). It was during listening to it that I suddenly realized how drastic the changes have been for LP5, and I really don't like them.

Yeah, I said the song sounded fine (other than the vocals). But songs like "Gravity," with that atmosphere...it's just wonderful. Why would they change something like that? It's like they're trying to fix what's not broken and are breaking it in the process.

I don't know. I think I just had the realization that I too want them to go back to what they had been doing.

I think it's being a bit dramatic to say they're "selling out" just because this song is clearly pop. They're just doing what they feel like doing.

That being said, what I do think they are doing is testing their limits. I feel like they're trying to prove something, perhaps just that they CAN make tremendously popular (well we'll see of course) music. I feel like Chris is like that...always trying to push limits and see where he can go.

I think he's pushing in the wrong direction in this case, but it's still better than sticking with the exact same thing for 5 albums straight.

And like a lot of you have said, I also don't think the entire album is going to take this direction. VLVODAAHF was a pretty diverse album with a lot of different sounds. I feel sure there'll be something on LP5 album for everyone.

So Debs has seen our reaction to the song. She's pretty shocked and upset about it. Still, can't fight the opinions of the masses.

What we think doesn't matter anyway. It'll still sell by the bucketload.

Where did this happen?