✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

New Coldplay eh?

MrMagpie

I don't mind it being "too poppy", that's not my issue with it. I listen to everything from synth pop to speed metal and everything in-between, so to me personally, any direction they choose to go with is alright, as long is comes and feels natural, and this doesn't. Sorry.

ETIAW feels as if they're trying too hard to keep with the times and follow what's cool atm in the music scene. Does that make them sellouts? Depends on your definition of the word really, to me it does.

Someone pointed out earlier that the fans who followed Coldplay from early on have grown up and their tastes in music has changed and matured, and the band should move on as well instead of trying to reach a younger audience who won't follow a punch of mid 30s Gaga wannabes when they have the real thing.

Now, I'm not the biggest Radiohead fan in the world but I do have lots of respect to them, and I kinda wish every band followed their footsteps by doing what THEY want instead of chasing the "scene".

This song feels forced, unnatural and tired. I sincerely hope it's their 'Brick By Brick'. Having said that, even BBB has it's merits, this doesn't, not at all.

I realize my English is shit, sorry about that, but I think (hope) I've made my point clear. My view might be completely off but that's how I feel anyway. Sorry if I offended anyone.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought the sound of it was much better than I expected. But I guess that's keeping in mind that I started with a pretty pessimistic view of it before it came out. So I guess I thought it was ok as long as I don't really pay attention to the lyrics, but I don't really think this sounds like them…errr I dunno.

So between the discovery of

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brs86zz1OcM&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - ‪Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall - Coldplay live at Rock im Park in Nuremberg 2011‬‏[/ame]

and this vid of the other new one

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kSmOxnBXxg&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - ‪Coldplay New Song‬‏[/ame]

I feel like I can officially write off this album altogether. Fucking hell. It's different alright, in that they took out everything that was still remotely enjoyable about coldplay and dove headfirst into the kind of nonsense fans wanted to get rid of. While I made some excuses for some VLV tracks, there doesn't seem to be any forgiving this one.

So between the discovery of

and this vid of the other new one

I feel like I can officially write off this album altogether. Fucking hell. It's different alright, in that they took out everything that was still remotely enjoyable about coldplay and dove headfirst into the kind of nonsense fans wanted to get rid of. While I made some excuses for some VLV tracks, there doesn't seem to be any forgiving this one.

Wow.

He's not even fucking singing.

people need to realise that coldplay are competing in a completely different league now. they're no longer going up against the likes of elbow, arctic monkeys, foals or death cab for cutie. they've long left that world of alternative music acts. their competition now is beyonce, lady gaga, fallout boy, nickelback, kings of leon, black eyed peas and the other chart toppers going around. but the thing is, even when i put the song in that context. it still sounds pretty terrible.

fucking sell outs with no dignity for themselves. They are so pathetic it's not even funny.

THIS. I just listened to it, it's even worse than what I imagined (and I was expecting the worst). It makes me feel ashamed for having been a fan.

I think I can officially delete CP from my library now. Except, maybe, for a very few tracks.

I had already deleted them off my ipod quite a long time ago then I lost all of the music on my laptop (since I broke it) and well, I don't think I'm gonna download any Coldplay again.

Well, I don't feel like listening to them anymore and I haven't done in about a year (I think). I didn't get rid of all their stuff intentionally in the first place (i just lost all of the music on my laptop) but since I never listened to them anymore and their new stuff makes me wanna puke, I really don't feel like downloading their stuff again. Besides, I can always just go on spotify if I feel like listening to some old songs that I could still enjoy.

Thats understandable then. I'm still good for their old stuff though.

Sometimes when I'm having a sad day, I watch old Coldplay performances and dwell in the nostalgia knowing that they've gone to shit.

It makes me sad, which is pretty much the goal.

/nostalgicforgarbagedesperatefortime

I've gotta say, watching these events over the last few days has been amazing. I don't think I've ever seen a fanbase react so unfavorably towards a new release before. The backlash against Coldplay in the last day or so has been incredible... you know a song is bad when even the die-hard fans refuse to accept it. Even Debs got quite upset about it. I wonder if the band themselves have any idea what's going on. Food for thought.

I'm not a fan of the song either, it's probably my least favorite Coldplay song ever. But just watching so many people get offended by it is... well it's entertaining viewing to say the least.

I've gotta say, watching these events over the last few days has been amazing. I don't think I've ever seen a fanbase react so unfavorably towards a new release before. The backlash against Coldplay in the last day or so has been incredible... you know a song is bad when even the die-hard fans refuse to accept it. Even Debs got quite upset about it. I wonder if the band themselves have any idea what's going on. Food for thought.

I'm not a fan of the song either, it's probably my least favorite Coldplay song ever. But just watching so many people get offended by it is... well it's entertaining viewing to say the least.

are you kidding? have you seen the Waterfall sub-forum poll? over 400 votes. close to half have given it 8 or more out of 10. over 80% have given it at least a 6. i wouldn't call that a backlash of any sorts.

are you kidding? have you seen the Waterfall sub-forum poll? over 400 votes. close to half have given it 8 or more out of 10. over 80% have given it at least a 6. i wouldn't call that a backlash of any sorts.

The fact that most of the threads in the ETIAW subforum are critical of the song says a lot, and that there's a 41 page thread on a Coldplay forum discussing how bad it is. And it's not just here, every message board I've been onto discussing the new song has very few positive things to say about it, and it's currently got an average rating of 2.43 on RYM - their lowest score ever. There is a lot of criticism going around about this song, much more than usual.

But I get your point. The mindless sheep of the world will no doubt flock to this song and give it a high chart position for several weeks on end.