✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Rate 'Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall' now!

But the thing is "Poptastic" is not Coldplay at all...

Every time they tried this, they get bad reviews....ASARY, and Lost + comes to mind here.....

They need to stick to what they are good at, soft rock....rock the boat! go against the current! That's what they've taught me in life and now, they are going mainstream..against what they have stood for IMHO....the route of what's "cool" right now...

Overall, with the way ETIAW sounds, coupled with what Chris has been saying, it seems like the word "disappointment" comes to mind to many fans...both Pre and Post VLVODAAHF.

Yeah, I feel like they're just trying to attract bigger audiences :blank:

They are SO much better than this :bigcry: I still hope the album will be good

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw I had a feeling Debs was gonna read all this and feel bad. "Hate" definitely is a strong word for all of this. But at the same time we shouldn't have to feel ashamed of disliking the song (for those of us who do), the majority of us aren't happy with what we heard today so obviously something's not right with it.

As long as Jay-Z doesn't appear in the album it should be alright. This is only the lead single so let's all relax. Yeah it's different but IMO it's way better than the poppy Viva la Vida which to this day I can't stand! So let's see what the rest of the album is like before jumping to conclusions.

Guest howyousawtheworld
I was one of the first to rate this a "10" and now, something like 9 hours later, having listened to it nearly continuously since it came out, I've got to say... I'm still not bored with it!

The music just radiates some kind of happiness that, when Will's doing the last drum bit, I just have to go through the track again :p

It's possible that what I needed right now was this kind of song, and I have to say I'm much happier today than I was yesterday... thanks to this song I'll say!

I said before that the music was great - borrowing (not stealing) part of the music from another artist is the least of my cares, to be honest, because the end result is very enjoyable... And that guitar riff, even if it sounds like Strawberry Swing played legato, is just really nice - I'm just waiting for someone to tab it so I can try playing it!

For the people who say this is "R&B/techno/pop crap", I'll just say that it's unlikely we'd find either that drum bit at the end or that guitar riff in any modern release in those genres. Or even a guitar in the background.

The lyrics, I did say before, aren't wonderful... They're kind of starting to make some sense to me, meaning that they don't sound as random as they first did. What can be commended here is that there's an unconventionnal structure here (since there's no real verse/chorus).

And speaking of lyrics, these may seem to be a bit of a shambles, but look at Fix You: "Tears stream down your face and aaaahhh" - come on! You could even look at Yellow: "and it was all yellow"... These lyrics aren't great, but they're very fun to sing (to try to at least :p ) because, for me, the vocal melody is really fun. This track will do great live, I'm sure of that!

But what I wanted to say here is that we shouldn't always expect genius from bands, both lyrically and melodically. ETIAW to me was more than good enough, which is why I rated it "10". When I listened to it, I tried to not compare it to any other song, to just rate it on its own - I spent those four minutes just staring at the screen, with no knowledge of the lyrics. And on its own, I found it brilliant. 8 hours later, I'd probably give it a 9,5 (which rounds up to 10 :p )

It's not always possible to hold songs to a higher standard - if that's what we did, then there are precious few songs these days that would be brilliant.

This song is no Amsterdam, it's no See You Soon, it's far from Yellow as well; it's not like their other songs, and it shoudln't be compared to those songs I think... And we can't always expect the same kind of thing, because that would be boring. Parachutes was nice, it's got a warm feeling to it; this song has a very happy feeling to it - and I'll be more than satisfied if the album has the same kind of feeling. This song is modern music, pop-ish music, the Coldplay way.

And by the way, compare In my place to Amsterdam or even to AROBTTH. I don't think those last two songs could be expected after listening just to In my place... So wait for the album, which some people think won't even have ETIAW on it. I don't care, because when the album comes out, I'll be listening to it avidly.

My two cents... With music, it's impossible for everyone to like the same thing. That's a shame, because right now, I'm really happy thanks to ETIAW. I only wish more people were happy too.

And in closing... Someone compared this to U2's Discotheque (although it's much better to me than that). Let's then remember that after U2's Pop, there was All that you can't leave behind and HTDAAB. So even if this album isn't as great as the previous ones, the live shows probably will keep being wonderful, and the next albums might be better.

Addendum: I tried posting this an hour ago and it didn't work. In the meantime, I've got a couple of comments for the new posts:

- kudos Technicolor Sparks! I agree with you. If Coldplay decided to release this as a lead single, they must have liked it. And if they like it, then we can't really be angry at them for releasing it to us...

- when Chris said : "if you think the new stuff is shit, listen to the old stuff"... when did he say it? 'Cos it sounds like a potentially self-deprecating remark like he relatively often does. In that case, it means the old stuff is worse, so...

I think I mentioned the Discotheque similarity a while back. I'd definitely agree that it's better than Discotheque. Like U2, Coldplay were tackling a sensitive and "difficult" genre for their fans in creating pop music you can dance too. But as time went on I could not fault U2 for their efforts on Pop which while a disappointment compared to their other albums certainly made an interesting and diverse addition to their incredible back catalogue. I don't think LP5 will be like Pop. I still look forward to it immensely.

Why?

I really can't stand it when bands try to sample or take other people's music (or imitate it) in their own songs...it's a sign of laziness if you ask me.

I understand if you make something and then..."oh...that's sounds a bit like XXXXX" but just outright sampling is something for the RAP industry.....it sucks in general and "lacks originality". :\

In my opinion, nothing short of Chris totally obliterating his vocals/going crazy and making Rodie #43's "interview" come true will result in Coldplay producing something worse than ASARY (worst thing ever....that is...until "Friday" came out :dozey:) or Lost+ (which was just crap...plain and simple....)

There is bound to be at least one decent track on this album (hopefully we'll get more than 9 tracks which for some reason Chris is obsessed with...)

Guest howyousawtheworld
All That You Cant Leave Behind :dazzled:

I really hope coldplay does something as good as that, in their own style of course.

Strangely I've never really liked that album but I cannot deny the positive impact it made with their fanbase again. It's massive but I really do prefer How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

I think Coldplay will go back to their old style and even go back to working with Ken Nelson (they really made Ken their own in the way Radiohead have done with Godrich and U2 with Eno and Lanois). I would love to see them go back working with Ken Nelson actually. Some will say Ken is lost without Coldplay and Coldplay are lost without Ken. Clearly there was something special about that combo.

I do like the song but I understand the disappointed fans. It's different, they change, they probably wanted to do something different and we can't blame them, they do what they want to do. We can accept the change or just keep listening to the old songs.

In my opinion, the song is pretty good. Yes, it's a pop song but it's a good one, we can't deny that!

I do like the song but I understand the disappointed fans. It's different, they change, they probably wanted to do something different and we can't blame them, they do what they want to do. We can accept the change or just keep listening to the old songs.

In my opinion, the song is pretty good. Yes, it's a pop song but it's a good one, we can't deny that!

Yes...yes we can. :P

if we'll talk about pop songs, Viva la Vida is way better than this.

Viva was an amazing Pop song..possibly because it probably was not intended to be one...Chris said himself that they did not think that it would be that well liked...and here they are today...trying to make a pop song now because the last one actually worked...

Is the Rock Im Park concert over? I found a setlist online and it has about 7 new songs. If this is true, shouldn't there be videos or something?

It ended a few hours ago.

I've looked on youtube a little bit, and so far there is a little clip of a new song (just a quick instrumental bit), and a recording of Viva la Vida.

It ended a few hours ago.

I've looked on youtube a little bit, and so far there is a little clip of a new song (just a quick instrumental bit), and a recording of Viva la Vida.

that one little bit of the song is better than the entire length of ETIAW

Guest howyousawtheworld
Viva was an amazing Pop song..possibly because it probably was not intended to be one...Chris said himself that they did not think that it would be that well liked...and here they are today...trying to make a pop song now because the last one actually worked...

It was horribly overplayed which meant it's barely listened to on my ipod but I have to agree. When I first heard it Viva was a great pop song. Great pop like Take On Me by a-ha but obviously not quite as great.