✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Rate 'Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall' now!

OK, so on my first listen to the new song i was all :stunned::wtf: - just wasn't really sure what to make of it. Then on my second listen i was like hmm, this is alright actually... And from every listen after that it's just been growing on me!! :D I think it's catchy, very upbeat and happy which i like, i LOVE Johnny's guitar in it :wacky::bomb:, and it's actually quite dancey, which surprised me, but in a good way! :lol: I really don't understand how people can call it "predictable." :thinking::confused: I can see it becoming a bit of a festival anthem this summer and i'm excited about the thought of seeing them play it live.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't understand people being so negative about this song. Two of three posts are angry/disappointed/contemptuous... Well I understand that anticipation made you believe that whatever they put out should be mind-blowing genius and in the way you want it to be. A mixture of Politik and Clocks, or The Scientist and Viva la Vida, whatever.

Perhaps when hopes are too high, it spoils impression, because ETIAW is a nice summer song. It's catchy, dance-y, cheerful. It's good for listening in the car and hopping to at the festivals. Music must be different, for different people and different moods. Have you ever had that happy, cheerful attitude in the summer, just having a good time? I had. And I know what's this song about.

And people, there is whole wide world around you with a lot of great different music. Try to switch a bit to something different, and than listen to ETIAW again - you'll see this song is half not that bad.

1. It reminds me the Spell a Rebel Yell. (Brian Eno? :/)

2. It's almost summer, lots of festivals ahead so this song fits very well.

3. But i think/hope it's a bonus/pre-festival song - not a single preceding new album.

4. I've gave it a 3/10. Title (10), lyrics (8) - final song (3) - sorry :p.

5. I listen it without a thrill.

6. But I stamp a feet to it :D

Dont like it. They had something going so great with VLV too. They have the Eno curse. Eno just loves to go off in a new direction whether it is good or bad. Its almost as if the band is going through a mid-life crisis and feel the need to be "hip" and mainstream. The lyrics are alright, but it still does not sit well with me.

If this is what we have to look forward to for LP5, Im not excited

Guest howyousawtheworld
It's almost as bad as Friday.

Oh come off it. Aren't you the one who said Cristiano Ronaldo is a shit football player?

It's not that bad. You're just being ridiculously sensationalist again.

I'm torn between a 5 or 6. I gave it a 6 because it's a little closer to good than bad, I guess.

The lyrics are bad, I suppose, but they're pretty standard Coldplay material. Certainly better than many favorites around here like Lovers in Japan, Glass of Water, Fix You, and so on.

The music is nice enough, but my biggest problem is that (in a way terrifyingly similar to many songs on X&Y) the song never really takes off. It's loud and shiny, but I'm a bit bored by minute two. Usually their best arena songs manage to be bombastic but dynamic. Viva La Vida (the song), for instance, surprises with the little bells between the first two verses, before exploding at the end and then disappearing into lovely synth.

Even so, I'm not calling this a sell-out. They're already one of the most popular bands in the world. Putting out pop as opposed to say, Clocks 2.0 (or maybe it'd be 3.0 by now) is riskier given the already established fan base.

Oh come off it. Aren't you the one who said Cristiano Ronaldo is a shit football player?

I never said he's shit. He's a good player, perhaps even great. He's just not as good as most people think he is.

It's not that bad. You're just being ridiculously sensationalist again.

Relax, it was just a joke. Nothing will ever be as bad as Friday. But I mantain my original opinion: it's a piece of shit.

I sort of like it.... it's not horrific but it's not incredible

Reminds me of another band I can't remember the name of XD especially the ending.

I just wish they hadn't given out the lyrics before they released the actual song, we spent way too much time pouring over the wtfness of the lyrics when they're not in context with an actual beat xD

52 people rated this as brilliant? Seriously? :blank:

Yeah, I thought this was a little odd too. I mean I do like the song a lot, but don't think it's one of their best songs ever.

I think a lot of these people are voting off the pure elation of a new track rather than the song itself. One reason I mentioned earlier that one should listen to it more than once before voting!

Love IT

I did not want to post any opinions on the song until I gave it a couple of spins. I have know listened to the song about 20 times. In fact, I am listening to the song as I type this. So here goes--

I set my alarm to 5:50 a.m. to hear the premiere of the song on Absolute radio. As the song began it reminded me slightly of Violet Hill, however, as the melody kicks in at about :03 seconds I felt this excitement that the song would be amazing. Interestingly by the time the song was over I was not sure if I liked it or not.

In any case, I immediately went to iTunes and purchased the song. By the third time I heard the song I finally decided that I did like it. This song is definitely a grower. Each time I play the song, I notice elements that I had not noticed the previous times.

Here is what I like about the song:

The melody - it is very catchy and makes me want to get up and dance. I absolutely love it when the bass kicks in at 1:08 -- it gives the song energy. I also like the way Chris sings the lyrics especially where he does the Oh Oh. Finally, I really love the lyrics. When the lyrics were posted earlier in the week, I remember saying in one of my post that the song would have a dance vibe and having listened to the song, it is exactly what I expected. However, when I read the lyrics with out listening to the song, I felt no connection to it. Now having listened to the song I understand what Chris is singing about. To me the song is about someone who has had it really bad in life hence the title of the song "Every Tear is A Waterfall," and the line "MAYBE I'M IN THE BLACK, MAYBE I'M ON MY KNEES MAYBE I'M IN THE GAP BETWEEN THE TWO TRAPEZES" (this by the way is my favorite line in the song). The lyrics, however, express hope that somehow things will in the end be okay. The lines "AND HEAVEN IS IN SIGHT" and "AND WE SAW OH THIS LIGHT I SWEAR YOU, EMERGE BLINKING INTO TO TELL ME IT'S ALRIGHT" convey this point. When I finally understood the lyrics, it brought tears to my eyes because I could totally relate to what Chris was singing about.

I have to admit that I am quite surprised by the negative posts I have seen on the forum regarding the song. Some people, have gone to suggest that Coldplay is done and that LP5 will be a mess. WHAT? This is ONE song, which, by the way, has yet to be confirmed to be on the new album. I just don't understand the negative reaction to the dance vibe of the song or to the lyrics of the song. Some have even suggested that the "old" Coldplay and their original sound is gone and will never return. I for one don't care if an artist's sound evolves and changes as long as the change is good. In my opinion Coldplay has evolved over the years but in a good way. I am also convinced, however, that the new album will still contain elements of the "old" Coldplay. As to the lyrics, I think the lyrics in ETIAW are typical Coldplay. Coldplay has had several songs from the very beginning with the theme of despair yet hope that things will get better. That was definitely the running theme in X&Y (i.e. Fix You, Low and How You See the World Pt. 1) and is evident in other songs like The Scientist, Amsterdam, Everything Is Not Lost, Lovers in Japan and Lost!. In fact this theme in their lyrics is what makes Coldplay my favorite band of all time and it is the lyrics to their songs that have gotten me through some very difficult times in life.

Every Teardrop Is A Waterfull fits in nicely with their catalog of music and I for one am definitely looking forward to the new album. I am certain that ETIAW will sound amazing live at festivals. Can't wait to hear it at Lollapalooza in Chicago. I rate the song a 9.5.

the song never really takes off. It's loud and shiny, but I'm a bit bored by minute two.

Thats the main problem of the song. Only the bass line at the ending is making an effort to pull the song up but it's not enough.

Me too! A spell a rebel yell, and a hint of the break from Lukas too!

This song is a poorer version of Lukas. Especially when it comes to guitar riffs :).

But i really like the effort of creating easygoing/coldplay/clubbing/summer/dance/hit.

One of my friends said it sounded like Taio Cruz' "Dynamite" and U2 combined. I told them that Brian Eno is the producer, so that's why it sounds a bit like U2. I can't understand why they think it sounds like Dynamite, though. :thinking:

Because it makes me want to rock this club, go all night and then light it up! :wink3: