✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Rate 'Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall' now!

True. I am guilty of that but lesson learned from me. Cuz I realized I gotta make up my mind about how I feel about a song first. I did feel the way I felt in my posts at the time though. I think I have a right to change my mind in any case. Even if I were to totally trash the song and say I hated it (which I didn't) I would like to feel that I can change my mind about it an decide to totally love it :P

Oh definately. Everyone has the right to an opinion and change that opinion whenever they want - that's the purpose of a forum! I wasn't picking on anyone in particular, just saying that a lot of the really negative comments came from people posting emotionally before they really gave the song a chance.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After hearing the song like 15 times through the day (I tried to dose as much as I could my listenings, because the day Violet Hill came out I think I heard it like 30 times :P) I think I can now make a review:

I like it, although I don’t love it… I don’t know but I think I’m already programmed to never dislike anything that Coldplay or Chris Martin ever do and this may be the case, because this doesn’t sound like the old Coldplay that I felt in love with many years ago.

Anyway, the first time I heard it the synth of the beginning I had some sort of déjà vu, I thought that I’ve already heard that tune… and a couple of hours later when I started reading other reviews and stuff I discovered that a song called “Ritmo de la noche” uses the same tune… so, mystery solved. And respecting this I was like “oh no, not again”… but finally I read that It was a sample of another song that was legally credited in the same way as Talk… but Coldplay haters have something new to talk about.

The song is very pop and electro, and after the mysterious messages on facebook and the pictures of the new looks, I saw this coming. Probably the song came in a moment of my life that was perfect for it, because now I listen once in a while to electronic music and I have surrender to guilty pop pleasures like Lady Gaga or Black Eyed Peas… but if this song would have come out like 6 or 7 years ago when I was on my stage “I only listen to BritPop and Alternative and everything else is crap” definitely I would have hated ETIAW. So I can perfectly understand why many people don’t like this.

But despite the pop, the “plagiarism”, etc, etc I think ETIAW have interesting elements, for example Jonny’s riffs are really really awesome, and the ending of the song is great too, it reminds me a lot of Lovers In Japan which is my fav song of the last album.

I’m optimist about the new album and if we look into the past, the first singles have never been the best songs… Think of In my Place, Speed of Sound, Violet Hill, at least for me they were just average songs that didn’t compare with the “big ones” of each album. And I’m pretty sure that the album will have many different styles on it, the acoustic ones, the rocker ones, and surely more electropop songs, but this is not going to be the end of the classic Coldplay sound, just remember some months ago Christmas Lights, at least for me that song sounded 100% Coldplay :)

In any case, look at any big bands in history like The Beatles, Radiohead, etc, etc, they have changed their style almost completely in every album and that’s what made them so big… Maybe the problem here is not the experimentation itself but that they took a path that many of us don’t like very much, maybe we wanted something darker or maybe something acoustic or I don’t know. But is too soon to be writing about this as we only had one single song that in fact is not confirmed that it will be the first single of the LP5.

Sorry if my English was crap, but I haven’t written something as long as this in a long time :P

Oh definately. Everyone has the right to an opinion and change that opinion whenever they want - that's the purpose of a forum! I wasn't picking on anyone in particular, just saying that a lot of the really negative comments came from people posting emotionally before they really gave the song a chance.

True :)

I knew I had to give the song a chance and now that I have I can appreciate it. Im still in the process of liking it more though :)

Yes!!!! And I hope I will like this song better live... cause I never like Lovers In Japan ... I skipped that song on album until I went to live show and I guess the butterflies changed my mind.. heh! Muse and Foofighters w. Coldplay makes a perfect weekend!

Aww I always loved LIJ. I think I will like this song more live, cuz it is fun. I was resisting to liking it because I didn't want coldplay to be more pop, but now that I've just gotten over that, im liking it more. Besides we dnt know if this is the pop song on the album and the rest are more alternative :D and ys Muse would also be so awesome!

(Im buying my airplane tickets right at this moment :P)

This song was an okay start to what hopefully will be the "masterpiece" they promised.

I was just milling around Coldplay.com and looked at the festival dates. If they were to release this album at any time they would need to be able to promote it, rehearse it, and prepare all the LP5 aesthetics for concerts, etc.

But June-October are all festivals. And if we were to hear their album anytime in between then:

1. June 11-25th is a bit of a break between the Landgraaf concert and Pilton festivals. But this seems to early as they might want to change a few things before finally releasing it.

2. July 10-29th is a break between the Punchestown and the Naeba Ski Resort concert. Still seems a bit early but is probably enough time to refine the album one last time.

3. Aug. 5- Sept. 16 is quite a layoff from festivals and is pretty likely to be the time IF they feel satisfied with the album and feel like it could come out earlier than they might have planned. But still there still is one festival in Austin after they release it then.

4. Sept. 16- Oct. 1 is 15 days off and is very close to the autumn as told by the representative of parlophone. Still it seems a little too short on time to prepare everything.

5. After October 8th. As of now the festivals only run till the eight of October, and as in the previous possibility, it is the autumn, and if it doesn't change, the largest chance of releasing the album lies just after the Johannesburg concert.

Edit: I was just thinking, those three concerts in October are not festivals, as they are the only event, and since it is close to the possible release date they might also play a few songs there as a preview in concert. The album will probably be dropped soon after.

P.S. I wonder if anyone already checked this out, don't want to be repetitive.

I managed to grab 60 secs to vote yesterday but not to add my thoughts.

I've only managed to listen to the song 3 times yet.

I've given it an 8 for the following reasons:

*From the opening bars it grabbed me the same way as VLV, so I know I'm going to adore it, but need a few more listens for it to be a 9.

*I never ever vote a 10 for anything.

*Its grabbed me more than Christmas Lights did. It took me a while to get into Christmas Lights, but that may have been down to atmospheric conditions ;) I don't do cold very well.

I love the swirly pipe-sounding music, the sound just makes me picture the swirly logos on the jackets & ties it all in for me. I love the beat. I want to hear it live in the dusk on a balmy summer evening whilst having a ball with some of my favourite Coldplayers.

I managed to grab 60 secs to vote yesterday but not to add my thoughts.

I've only managed to listen to the song 3 times yet.

I've given it an 8 for the following reasons:

*From the opening bars it grabbed me the same way as VLV, so I know I'm going to adore it, but need a few more listens for it to be a 9.

*I never ever vote a 10 for anything.

*Its grabbed me more than Christmas Lights did. It took me a while to get into Christmas Lights, but that may have been down to atmospheric conditions ;) I don't do cold very well.

I love the swirly pipe-sounding music, the sound just makes me picture the swirly logos on the jackets & ties it all in for me. I love the beat. I want to hear it live in the dusk on a balmy summer evening whilst having a ball with some of my favourite Coldplayers.

I can't believe that's your real opinion, I like VLV song and album a lot, also three others and ETIAW (in close following with Swallowed in The Sea") is in the weakset ranks of all their work...

Listen to 30% not happy fans, and you'll begin to suspect that something's not going good or right with ETIAW. (which in my humble opinion shouldn't be in the next record for their own good)

On the other hand, The other 3 new songs I've heard from Rock Im Park, they sound fantastic in my opinion...which make me hoping a good LP5. What do you think about them?

ahahha well...

I want to hear the live version of ETIAW, i think it'll be great!

Come on!

It's on youtube. Chris almost didn't dance, he forgot all his dance tricks, the performance was soulless and dull.

After listening it 6-7 times Waterfall give me headache with this synth and distorted Chris voice.

It's unbelievable weak song. I will turn it off if i wouldn't know this is Coldplay.

I can't believe that's your real opinion, I like VLV song and album a lot, also three others and ETIAW (in close following with Swallowed in The Sea") is in the weakset ranks of all their work...

Listen to 30% not happy fans, and you'll begin to suspect that something's not going good or right with ETIAW. (which in my humble opinion shouldn't be in the next record for their own good)

On the other hand, The other 3 new songs I've heard from Rock Im Park, they sound fantastic in my opinion...which make me hoping a good LP5. What do you think about them?

course its my real opinion, I'm not about to start spouting nonsense just for the hell of it.

not everyone has the same taste. just because other people don't like it doesn't mean I'm not allowed to like it. I like it for what it is and for how it makes me feel. I'm not about to spend hours analysing every word & every note. The whole works for me as it is.

I also happen to quite like Swallowed in the Sea too.

There won't be a video.

course its my real opinion, I'm not about to start spouting nonsense just for the hell of it.

not everyone has the same taste. just because other people don't like it doesn't mean I'm not allowed to like it. I like it for what it is and for how it makes me feel. I'm not about to spend hours analysing every word & every note. The whole works for me as it is.

That's exactly my same feeling, I don't understand why people who like it are addressed as they were brainless aliens (keeping in the UFO theme and all) who have lived in another planet and don't know what real good music on earth is.

De gustibus non disputandum est (Latins always have the best way to say things, seriously).

Growing

At first I was incredibly skeptical, maybe because I had built up the return to an unimaginable level, so I voted it a 6, maybe a low 7. After repeated listening, each time raising the volume just a tad bit louder, I would give it a solid 9. It's not a Yellow or CLocks...yet. I disliked Violet Hill when it first came out, but after listening to it in the context of the entire album, I fell in love with it, so maybe that's how it will become with this song. Also, Coldplay stated a while back that the album would be about Spray Paint Art...and Nazis. I actually listened to this song, picturing war refugees in Germany during WW2, and their expressions toward the war ending, and being able to sing and dance again. Their teardrops were a waterfall, but they were free, and thus joyous and hopeful. It's not the Coldplay I'm accustomed to, but I do like it, and with each listen I like it more and more.

I also happen to quite like Swallowed in the Sea too.

Finally someone talking some sense!!!

The set closes with Every Teardrop… and it’s completely evident that it’s a great festival tune. It’ll be interesting actually, to see how the audience response changes as this song drills its way into the public conscience. I’m expecting each show to see it greeted more and more rapturously until it gets the same treatment as the Clocks piano riff or the Viva strings.

Roadie42, are you sane? Like Clocks?

Now they are pushing this garbage in panteon of greatest Coldplay songs.

When I first read that, I thought R42 was going a bit crazy.

But no. It's a good festival tune. Remember that because they're festival shows, there will be lots of people who aren't hardcore fans. From the crowds I've seen at festivals, I think the general festival population will really dig this song.

I am disappointed by you coldplay. This song is a summer song and it sucks. But i don´t know you as the band who is doing summer songs like katy perry and friends. I expected a song like warning sign or yellow. Even a song which is half as good as yellow would have satisfied me. But now i have to tell you something you told me a long time ago:

Give me real , don´t give me fake.