✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Rate 'Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall' now!

Obviously Chris and the rest of the band seems to have forgotten the end of Fix You:

"I promise you I will learn from my mistakes" :dozey:

Perhaps they need to make a remix of that song and replace "learn from" with "repeat all" (in regards to the total shit that was the B-side A Spell A Rebel Yell...which this song reminds me of :() if this trend continues on the other songs from LP5....

BTW, when I first heard VH and VLV, I LOVED IT. It reminded me of a soft version of a Nirvana song.....

This is truly the first time that I really hate one of their singles...

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I can understand that some people are disappointed with the song. But what I can't (and refuse to) understand is people who are actually angry about it. What gives you the right to determine what they can and can't write? Just because it's not what you wanted to hear does not mean that Coldplay is in the wrong, and it definitely is no reason to be angry!

Can people stop saying Coldplay HAVE to stick more to their Parachutes AROBTTH type of music.. and then blaming Eno for changing them.

They don't HAVE to anything, the only thing they have to do is make music they are proud of and love, and not make the exact music people expect from them just because people expect it. And Eno did not barge in Coldplay and start changing them, Coldplay wanted to evolve and wanted to work with Eno on that.

Coldplay is Coldplay and no one but them can tell them what they are.

You are entitled to your opinions, you are allowed to miss the 'old' coldplay, you are allowed to hate this song.

But I find it kind of mean to hate the persons who just worked really hard on something they love and believe in, just because you don't like it and can't get over them not being in the Parachutes/AROBTTH era anymore. They will never just go back there, they won't decide 'let's make a Parachutes 2' and that is something you'll probably just have to except, that that is over, and I miss it too, but you know. I'm happy I miss it, imagine them making a Parachutes so often that you don't miss it anymore, isn't missing parachutes etc. Something that makes those albums so great.

It's just, I can imagine how it must feel, to have made this song, and read this forum, and not just get 'I don't really like it' messages, which isn't fun to hear, but it's ok. But people also saying it is a bad song and you're trying to be populair and it's easy and lazy and Eno sucks and I don't know what else people said.

That just hurts, if you've just tried your best, you've taken a risk and then you get people just insulting you for not being what they expected/wanted...

Sorry for the long rant, just had to lose that

I was one of the first to rate this a "10" and now, something like 9 hours later, having listened to it nearly continuously since it came out, I've got to say... I'm still not bored with it!

The music just radiates some kind of happiness that, when Will's doing the last drum bit, I just have to go through the track again :p

It's possible that what I needed right now was this kind of song, and I have to say I'm much happier today than I was yesterday... thanks to this song I'll say!

I said before that the music was great - borrowing (not stealing) part of the music from another artist is the least of my cares, to be honest, because the end result is very enjoyable... And that guitar riff, even if it sounds like Strawberry Swing played legato, is just really nice - I'm just waiting for someone to tab it so I can try playing it!

For the people who say this is "R&B/techno/pop crap", I'll just say that it's unlikely we'd find either that drum bit at the end or that guitar riff in any modern release in those genres. Or even a guitar in the background.

The lyrics, I did say before, aren't wonderful... They're kind of starting to make some sense to me, meaning that they don't sound as random as they first did. What can be commended here is that there's an unconventionnal structure here (since there's no real verse/chorus).

And speaking of lyrics, these may seem to be a bit of a shambles, but look at Fix You: "Tears stream down your face and aaaahhh" - come on! You could even look at Yellow: "and it was all yellow"... These lyrics aren't great, but they're very fun to sing (to try to at least :p ) because, for me, the vocal melody is really fun. This track will do great live, I'm sure of that!

But what I wanted to say here is that we shouldn't always expect genius from bands, both lyrically and melodically. ETIAW to me was more than good enough, which is why I rated it "10". When I listened to it, I tried to not compare it to any other song, to just rate it on its own - I spent those four minutes just staring at the screen, with no knowledge of the lyrics. And on its own, I found it brilliant. 8 hours later, I'd probably give it a 9,5 (which rounds up to 10 :p )

It's not always possible to hold songs to a higher standard - if that's what we did, then there are precious few songs these days that would be brilliant.

This song is no Amsterdam, it's no See You Soon, it's far from Yellow as well; it's not like their other songs, and it shoudln't be compared to those songs I think... And we can't always expect the same kind of thing, because that would be boring. Parachutes was nice, it's got a warm feeling to it; this song has a very happy feeling to it - and I'll be more than satisfied if the album has the same kind of feeling. This song is modern music, pop-ish music, the Coldplay way.

And by the way, compare In my place to Amsterdam or even to AROBTTH. I don't think those last two songs could be expected after listening just to In my place... So wait for the album, which some people think won't even have ETIAW on it. I don't care, because when the album comes out, I'll be listening to it avidly.

My two cents... With music, it's impossible for everyone to like the same thing. That's a shame, because right now, I'm really happy thanks to ETIAW. I only wish more people were happy too.

And in closing... Someone compared this to U2's Discotheque (although it's much better to me than that). Let's then remember that after U2's Pop, there was All that you can't leave behind and HTDAAB. So even if this album isn't as great as the previous ones, the live shows probably will keep being wonderful, and the next albums might be better.

Addendum: I tried posting this an hour ago and it didn't work. In the meantime, I've got a couple of comments for the new posts:

- kudos Technicolor Sparks! I agree with you. If Coldplay decided to release this as a lead single, they must have liked it. And if they like it, then we can't really be angry at them for releasing it to us...

- when Chris said : "if you think the new stuff is shit, listen to the old stuff"... when did he say it? 'Cos it sounds like a potentially self-deprecating remark like he relatively often does. In that case, it means the old stuff is worse, so...

Honestly, I can understand that some people are disappointed with the song. But what I can't (and refuse to) understand is people who are actually angry about it. What gives you the right to determine what they can and can't write? Just because it's not what you wanted to hear does not mean that Coldplay is in the wrong, and it definitely is no reason to be angry!

I'm not telling them what they can and cannot write at all....

They can write total crap (which they did in this case) and I can't do anything about it but complain and hope the next song is better.

And I'm not the only one who hates the song. This song is really going to have mixed reviews and once again, the band will lose more old-stuff fans and gain more bubble-gum pop Beiber fans....yay.:rolleyes:

This! I just don't get this negativity and I agree with you that some actually sound angry! :stunned: First it is just one song and second coldplay can go in which ever direction they want and they can try new things too. I for one love this song and with each listen I love it even more. No anger or disappointment here. :cool:

Im listening to "I ran away", I needed to listen to a more familiar coldplay because this new one, I just can't recognize. :\

I felt something like this for the album of vlv but it turned out great, but I dnt know im more worried this time around. Im nervous about the new album, im really hoping it turns out great, and that I will feel better about this new song.

but I pray they dnt go any more poppy, or ill cry :(

Wow.

Shocked.

Cos "hate" is strong word...

I LOVE the song and did instantly.

Poptastic,

Perfect jump to up and down at festivals song.

Totally unbiased opinion I promise...

My favourite ever Family Guy episode is about to start so need to watch that to make me feel better for negativity.

I'm not telling them what they can and cannot write at all....

They can write total crap (which they did in this case) and I can't do anything about it but complain and hope the next song is better.

And I'm not the only one who hates the song. This song is really going to have mixed reviews and once again, the band will lose more old-stuff fans and gain more bubble-gum pop Beiber fans....yay.:rolleyes:

I know you're not telling them what they can and can't write; what I meant was that some people on this forum seem to feel as if their expectations of Coldplay is the right one. They aren't considering how hard the band worked on this song, and they don't seem to realize that if the band wants to move in a different direction, they have every right to do so.

I'm not going to lie and say that this is my favourite Coldplay song ever, because it's not. It's true that I prefer their old style of music, but I still enjoy their new music and I respect the band in whatever decisions they make. If you don't, then I suggest you keep it to yourself. How would you feel if someone attacked your work because it didn't suit their personal taste?

Haven't posted in a while but I wanted to get my thoughts in. The first time I heard it I didn't know what to say. It was a very different Coldplay. I agree with some that said they disliked it. I don't mind change but this is just...on a very different arena where they once were. I hope this is just some filler track that is made to be a pop single but I never thought of Coldplay as someone that does that.

Wow.

Shocked.

Poptastic,

My favourite ever Family Guy episode is about to start so need to watch that to make me feel better for negativity.

I hope you feel better soon =/ Know that a lot of people love the song to bits

There is just no need to insult the people who made the song if you don't happen to like it...

I think I'm coming at it from a completely different angle to a few people on this thread. Where Coldplay started from was less my kind of music (I hardly ever listen to Parachutes or AROBTTH) but I love Viva la Vida and ETIAW.

Can't wait for the album.

Wow.

Shocked.

Poptastic,

Wow Debs...now I feel bad.

Perhaps hate was used out of context for me and all the others...

I think disappointed is a better word come to think of it....

It's not as bad as Friday (as one person claimed)..no where even close.... but still....

Wow.

Shocked.

Poptastic,

Aww debs :(

I think we r just having a hard time adjusting to this new sound. So sad you had to see all our negative comments, myself included:embarrassed: but for what its worth I haven't loss faith in coldplay, im just...adjusting. and ill be with coldplay through thick and thin! And I also gotta add im still really excited for the new album :)

Now I feel very bad :( its not like I hate the song, I like it but..hmm its just different. But again, I've gone through this phase before with other cp albums and I end up loving the songs. Im just overall undecided :\

Wow.

Shocked.

Poptastic,

I'm sorry, Debs.

I don't think it's hate, it's disappointment. Maybe that's worse, but I can't help but feeling sad about this development.

I don't need poptastic, Yellow is a song you can easily jump up and down to at festivals and it didn't need all those synths and electronic stuff.

I don't recognise Coldplay anymore in this song, I could recognise them in VLVODAAHF, but this is just ... I don't even know how to say it, it's just not the Coldplay that I love.

Just read the setlist from tonights 1st festival slot and they played 6 NEW SONGS not including ETIAWF!and half way through 'the walking man' came on stage?NEW ALBUM MUST BE CLOSE!!

You've got to give it to them they know how to knock out stadium rockers... love this song - new Coldplay material always gives me a lift and this one surely did! I'm sure the whole album won't be like this though.

I don't think Coldplay can ever release a song that I do not like.

I can understand why people hate this song. It is not very Coldplayish and pretty poppy.

But the song is so happy. Lately I've been depressed and I don't even know why but NOW I'M SO FUCKING HAPPY.

I keep picturing this song being played a festivals where everybody is happy and having a good time.

Such a nice, happy song...

I'd give it a 7.

Wow.

Shocked.

Poptastic,

i gotta agree with her! i mean ur basing opinions on one song and coming to the conclusion that the whole albums gunna sound like that and they moved their direction! i remember people saying after violet hill came out, that it sounded like oasis and the whole album was gunna sound like that! which it didnt!

and like debs said its a prefect festival song! which is prob why they released it when their festival season has started!

HAVE ABIT OF FAITH!

I'm sorry, Debs.

I don't think it's hate, it's disappointment. Maybe that's worse, but I can't help but feeling sad about this development.

I don't need poptastic, Yellow is a song you can easily jump up and down to at festivals and it didn't need all those synths and electronic stuff.

I don't recognise Coldplay anymore in this song, I could recognise them in VLVODAAHF, but this is just ... I don't even know how to say it, it's just not the Coldplay that I love.

Exactly!

But the thing is "Poptastic" is not Coldplay at all...

Every time they tried this, they get bad reviews....ASARY, and Lost + comes to mind here.....

They need to stick to what they are good at, soft rock....rock the boat! go against the current! That's what they've taught me in life and now, they are going mainstream..against what they have stood for IMHO....the route of what's "cool" right now...

Overall, with the way ETIAW sounds, coupled with what Chris has been saying, it seems like the word "disappointment" comes to mind to many fans...both Pre and Post VLVODAAHF.

To be totally honest, they should have kept FOP, finished it (if it is not already finished) and made that the Debut single...the instrumental rocks!