✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Rate 'Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall' now!

I'm getting all kinds of crazy emotions listening to this, mainly how lucky I am to still be around to hear it, unlike other coldplay fans that has sadly died, (Nettie for example). I just think this song is stunning and really emotive. It will be one of their songs that ends up underrated and nobody can understand why. Give it time to sink in.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the fact that the song doesn't even seem to be about anything, for me... and I think it's very telling that several people thought the teaser videos were revealing lyrics from different songs.

They seem random and strung together. The way it's sung, too - it's almost as if Chris wrote the vocal melody (which isn't all that great for the most part) and then squeezed in the lyrics where he could... it doesn't sound like the lyrics were created as an emotional extension of the melody (does that make any sense?). I guess 'soulless' was a good description :\

Having said that, his voice seems to be on top form! I do like the parts towards the end where he's really belting it out.

There is still hope for the album I think, but the song does make me think that they might be running out of steam. Really hope that isn't the case.

I've listened to it a few more times and I'm quite disappointed now that the excitement of a new song has worn off. Listen to ETIAW and then listen to any song from Parachutes or AROBTHH. They've definitely gone backwards in terms of quality and originality. They've played it safe with this. It's very radio friendly and it sounds like EMI and Brian Eno wrote it rather than Coldplay. It doesn't bode well for the new album.

THIS! THIS! THIS!

LOL! Wow, this is really bad. Sorry, I love Coldplay to death, but this is REALLY bad. Bands must evolve, but this is de-evolution! Hopefully this is solely a summer festival song, and isn't on the album.

I'm not too worried about LP5 though. I didn't care for Violet Hill when it came out, but loved VLV. It's only one song.

^ Zemy, Coldplay have poetic lyrics, they've never been about straighforward/literal meanings. Take Clocks for example. It's about Apples, tigers, home, clocks, waves etc...
No I know, I'm a fan of poetic lyrics mostly, when they're done right. But there's a lot of imagery here that doesn't really hang together, even if some of the lines sound nice on their own . I guess I'm just not seeing the point of the song itself, if that makes any sense? I do think this is will be the most pop-sounding song on the album though, at least I'm hoping so :P

as chris martin once said, ‘if you think the new stuff is shit, listen to the old stuff’ – the best advice i’ve ever heard. (by DAN)

BEAUTIFUL (by the_escapist)

Yep :D

PS: By the way, i gave it 6 before, but now i'ld give it 8... and no more that

The song is utter shit. The only redeeming bit at all is when the bass comes in right at the end.

So disappointed in this band, and I can see where they will loose more fans and gain more Beiber fans, because face it... the band cares more about writing songs to a younger audience then writing quality songs.

Well after several hours of listening, I've given it a 2, and honestly I feel that was being generous.

I'm all for growth and change in a band, but I see no growth here, just changeto become more mainstream. The music is even more disappointing than the lyrics, which sound like something a fledgling to the music industry might right. Musically this is not experimental or epic, or beautiful, or really anything more than generic. I keep thinking to myself that this sounds like everything else on the radio I avoid listening to. Chris has a beautiful voice, but it cant save this song.

I don't post this lightly, but I am positively gutted that they would let this get out at all. I will wait to hear the rest of the album, but honestly if this is their choice for a first single, I have very little hope of hearing anything worth listening to.

Well after several hours of listening, I've given it a 2, and honestly I feel that was being generous.

I'm all for growth and change in a band, but I see no growth here, just changeto become more mainstream. The music is even more disappointing than the lyrics, which sound like something a fledgling to the music industry might right. Musically this is not experimental or epic, or beautiful, or really anything more than generic. I keep thinking to myself that this sounds like everything else on the radio I avoid listening to. Chris has a beautiful voice, but it cant save this song.

I don't post this lightly, but I am positively gutted that they would let this get out at all. I will wait to hear the rest of the album, but honestly if this is their choice for a first single, I have very little hope of hearing anything worth listening to.

I agree. I actually change my vote to a 1 (with the redeeming bit being the bass at the end).

I'm so disappointed in the direction this band has taken over the last few years that I don't see myself really being excited about their music anymore.

Coldplay is a fucking load of shite and this just confirms it.

This could make for some decent club mixes...I mean I'm sure I'd love this song if I were completely smashed in a European nightclub...but this? Compared to Parachutes/AROBTTH, this is hilariously awful. The production quality is so bad (sounds as if Gwyneth Paltrow produced it), and they clearly ripped the entire melody off of that Ritmo de la Noche song (or the Peter Allen song, but that's just a technicality); there's absolutely no originality. Coldplay, you've done it again! You're gotten even worse than I ever thought was possible.

I rated it a 7 out of 10. I think I'd like it better if it didn't sound so "clubbin'." But, it's happy and light and fun to listen to.

I guess Coldplay are adapting with the times, which has me with mixed feelings. Do I hate that in order to stay current they need to start putting out these manufactured club-type songs? Yeah, I kinda am. But, at least they don't go whole hog. They stick to the fringes...which puts me in the "it's alright" category. I would rate it lower if it wasn't so happy sounding.

I mean, I like the song, but Viva la Vida was a very mainstream song and should have been the most mainstream song of Coldplay ever.

At the end, it does feel like they are trying to be the most mainstream band in the world (which not even U2 is).

The problem with me is that regardless ETIAW is not the song I was expecting, I will always like the music they make.

they are my fav band and always will be. I'll support them no matter what.

Despite my initial twinges of disappointment in the apparent mainstream sound of this song, I feel the same as you. They are my "go-to" band and I'll support them no matter what. It has to be hard staying current amidst a musical world filled with crap: Bieber, Gaga, Rihanna, Britney, Ke$ha, Katy Perry....who are all so popular....and unfairly so (in most cases).

Do you want me to answer how I see it as a listener, or musician myself?

Let me answer it in both ways..

As a listener it becomes pretty boring to hear a song with all the same beat, especialy a whole album.. there isn't really something special that does where music all is about.

It's also especialy for people without a big creative mind, and that doesn't like changes.

As a musician myself:

Hip-hop, R&B and many other styles are 'not' music.

It doesn't follow a pattern.. it's like one pattern all over the song.

Even if it has a pattern, it doesn't really change much from the basic of the song.

With Pop, rock and especialy jazz, funk, blues etc. there is many variation and it needs more than you probably can ever imagine, creativity, variation and also improvisation.

This post is stupid.

Figured I'd give a more fleshed-out review since I forgot to post what I rated it earlier:

I gave it an 8. Mostly because I love the sound, lack of verse-chorus-verse structure and gradual build-up, but I'm really surprised they went down the 'sampling' route after all the fiasco of VLV so deducted a couple of points as the originality is lacking. It is still better than a lot of current pop songs.

Coldplay have definitely confirmed their move towards more mainstream/pop than their alternative rock past with this single. I remember thinking this when VLV was released, but thought it might be short-lived. I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing, but I can also see how others might feel alienated!

Ultimately, they'll always lose fans and gain fans as their career progresses. I feel while there may be a lot here that give up on the band, a lot more will come in and take their place.

I gave a 8 ! I already listened to it many times and i do like their innovation in this song...new rhythm and new catchy melody. They took the risk to make something different and they did it very well. Ok, it's not mindblowing compared to Fix You and Clocks, i agree, but what if each new song from their LP5 was the same or almost the same as the previous ones ? people would certainly find a way to say there's anything new ! So, innovation sometimes is pretty good as they did it here...just a way to express something new with creation and imagination ;-) Plus, they did something "swinging" in this song...i'm sure more than one person will dance during the festivals, trust me ! :-)

So, here's my opinion. But, btw, i just want to specify that i agree with the fact that some people don't like this song or are disappointed (and that's their choice !), but please, is this really intelligent to write some nasty words ?? like "Coldplay is a fucking load of shite and this just confirms it.", for example. Anyone has the right to not like this song, but please, express yourself with respect for the band ! ...

Well.. i've learned not to judge coldplay songs on the first day :) everytime i do it grows on me that much that i regret giving it negative comments . It makes me happy anyway .. the song ... although the lyrics dont make that much sense and could be a bit more complex and flowing. but ah wel let's see what comes out of the album ! I like it , not in my top 10 maybe but that might aswell be so in a few weeks.

Does anybody agree ,, this song sound a bit like the style The naked and famous are producing and MGMT

Oh and on the videoClip :D I could imagine them standing by a waterfall somewhere in brazil or so ! drumming and singing along beneath the falling water and all kinds of colours shooting around :D haha ah well let's wait and see