✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Rate 'Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall' now!

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i haven't posted on this forum in a long, long time but i felt the need to log in and share my opinion of coldplay's new 5th album era single.

etiaw is extremely disappointing.

it seems as though the band are trying to ride off the success of their mediocre number one single viva la vida.

coldplay have turned into a synth-dance band.

it lacks depth both musically and lyrically.

to be honest, it doesn't even sound like coldplay.

i completely understand that a lot of coldplay fans will enjoy this however it is not to my taste.

as chris martin once said, ‘if you think the new stuff is shit, listen to the old stuff’ – the best advice i’ve ever heard.

I think they fooled us with the lyrics, in print they seem as if the song would be a balad, and thus turn out maudlin. Since it's an upbeat song, it changes the tone of the lyrics completely. It's one of my favorite things songwriters do, put sad lyrics to a happy beat. I liked it, will have to keep listening. Hope the album has some balads though so "For You" and "Careful Where you stand" are staples in my car CD player right now.

i haven't posted on this forum in a long, long time but i felt the need to log in and share my opinion of coldplay's new 5th album era single.

etiaw is extremely disappointing.

it seems as though the band are trying to ride off the success of their mediocre number one single viva la vida.

coldplay have turned into a synth-dance band.

it lacks depth both musically and lyrically.

to be honest, it doesn't even sound like coldplay.

i completely understand that a lot of coldplay fans will enjoy this however it is not to my taste.

as chris martin once said, ‘if you think the new stuff is shit, listen to the old stuff’ – the best advice i’ve ever heard.

Thanks. :)

This is how it should be. Everybody can deny the new era but he should be consequent and hear other things then just write depressing things here.

-------------------

Can't stop listening to it. Such a perfect song.

So coldplayish like the DJ said two days ago. Sounds really really coldplayish. Definetly one of the biggest hits for my summer!

I think they fooled us with the lyrics, in print they seem as if the song would be a balad, and thus turn out maudlin. Since it's an upbeat song, it changes the tone of the lyrics completely. It's one of my favorite things songwriters do, put sad lyrics to a happy beat. I liked it, will have to keep listening. Hope the album has some balads though so "For You" and "Careful Where you stand" are staples in my car CD player right now.

I think this is just the meaning of the song: Life can be hard and disappointing but you have to go forwards and there will be better times. Be optimistic! ;)

People, don't misunderstand me, I'm no hater now, but it's such a disappointment I feel now...really

It's better that when I wake up tomorrow ETIAW should have been nothing but a bad dream... it feels to me so short the way Brilliant people like these should have judged this song...

Self-indulgency is the way to feel short and apart form greatness... and this is maybe catchy, colourful and shiny, but just on the surface. On the inside, it's not great or deep and seems soulless and so mainstream/commercial.

Wish they could make a record like Dylan or Cohen qualities, but in this moment it feels this is far from happening...

I mean, I like the song, but Viva la Vida was a very mainstream song and should have been the most mainstream song of Coldplay ever.

At the end, it does feel like they are trying to be the most mainstream band in the world (which not even U2 is).

The problem with me is that regardless ETIAW is not the song I was expecting, I will always like the music they make.

they are my fav band and always will be. I'll support them no matter what.

I disagree.

I wasn't surprised when I heard it, because I feel like it fits the lyrics well. I was disappointed with the lyrics, and disappointed with the music.

Thanks. :)

This is how it should be. Everybody can deny the new era but he should be consequent and hear other things then just write depressing things here.

Excuse me, I have an opinion as a fan and I have every right to post it in this thread.

I'm not denying everything, I am sad that Coldplay as a band headed this direction, it's disappointing.

Excuse me, I have an opinion as a fan and I have every right to post it in this thread.

I'm not denying everything, I am sad that Coldplay as a band headed this direction, it's disappointing.

This pretty much sums up how I feel.

8/10 - This song is perfect to be played at summer festivals since it captures their mood perfectly - in many ways it reminds me of a cross between a song from U2's Achtung Baby and Coldplay's own Lovers In Japan. I'm loving the guitar riff in this and the fact that Jonny's been given centre-stage in this song. It also does the usual Coldplay trick of combining melancholy lyrics with a deeply uplifting melody - so I'm not sure that people can say this isn't typical Coldplay: this is unmistakeably Coldplay!

Just hear the sunshine streaming from the melody: they've clearly been influenced by the very sunny weather we've been experiencing in the UK recently.

As a long time fan, I genuinely feel really sorry for the band by the number of people that shout 'plagiarism' every time they release a new song that shows great potential these days. It's a true recognition of how truly massive the band's become and yet at the same time is a sad reflection on parts of society: wanting to either grab a piece of their success or somehow denigrate it. Yes, there are similarities with other songs as I've indicated myself, but pure plagarism? People should grow up or produce music of their own.

People, don't misunderstand me, I'm no hater now, but it's such a disappointment I feel now...really

It's better that when I wake up tomorrow ETIAW should have been nothing but a bad dream... it feels to me so short the way Brilliant people like these should have judged this song...

Self-indulgency is the way to feel short and apart form greatness... and this is maybe catchy, colourful and shiny, but just on the surface. On the inside, it's not great or deep and seems soulless and so mainstream/commercial.

Wish they could make a record like Dylan or Cohen qualities, but in this moment it feels this is far from happening...

Well, maybe it just has to grow on you :p

Kind of feel the same way though, especially when I heard it for the first time. But I do think that it could be beautiful and deep on the inside.

I just need more time with this one, but I think I'm gonna like it. It's Coldplay.