✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The 10th Mixtape Exchange (Tapes due Mon., Aug. 8 @ 5 pm CST (GMT -6))

Violet

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Great opener, me gusta. I can't put my fingers on the instrument used throughout the song and that has a solo at the end, sounds oriental haha. Nice bassline.

2. This one got me bobbing my head from the beginning. The voice is so so so so so familiar. I am sure I have checked out this band before, but I can't put my finger on it, and honestly, it has haunted me since I first listened to it last night jiuwhgefuiaywhgeaw. I like it.

3. I like the mix of the strings and the acoustic guitar. I think it's my favourite of the tape. The vocals are dreamy.And when the piano comes in, it just adds this thing to the song... Love it.'But it feeeels liiike foreeeeever when your mind turns to fiiictiionn'. Love this line.

4. Oooo electronic drums. Instrumental one. I love instrumentals. Great choice.

5. This is the first one of the tape that I didn't instantly like. Love the deep sounding cellos though at the beginning though. It's 3/4, isn't it? I'm not a fan of this time marking (or whatever you call it in English).

6. I think this is Bjork, isn't it? Sorry, not my kind of thing :/

7. I like the music. Not the vocals much. The song is a bit long, but it's fine. I don't dislike it, but it's not a favourite.

8. Back to a song that I absolutely enjoy! It's good. I like the vocals. Love the bass. Good one

9. Oooo nice intro. Like the vocals. I don't usually enjoy retro sounding songs like this, but I did this time.

10. Ooooooooo the bassline at the beginning. Catchy. I loved it from the beginning. And the children-like vocals are just a plus.

11. Doves! I gave them a listen before, but they're not really my thing. This song was enjoyable though. Nice choice.

12. My kind of intro, music + dreamy suonding guitar. I like the vocals. Sort of reminds me of The Orange Lights? I love this one.

Overall, I enjoyed the mixtape a lot. Only tracks 5 to 7 didn't really make that good of an impression on me, but it's okay, I appreciate that you tried to make me open my horizons.

Favourite tracks: 3, 10 and 12.

Thank you very much :D

you got me right!

here's the tracklisting

screenshot20110805at656.png

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ualuwc

Hai Violet! As you know, I made your mixtape...glad you (mostly) enjoyed it! :)

Review tiiiiime. :D

First things first: It was titled "Mixtape for Violet." AWWWWW, how nice. :blush:

:wacky:

1. This was a short, simple, beautiful piano piece. It reminded me very much of something Erik Satie would write. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it in fact was Satie (maybe Gymnopedie 1 or 2? It's not 3, as I've played that before). You obviously took into consideration my love for piano. Thank you. Great choice for an opener.

Yep, this is Erik Satie, with 3 Gymnopédies: #1: Lent Et Douloureux. I've been slowly becoming more and more interested with this composer, and is now one of my favourite classical composers, second only to Chopin. I thought it might be a nice way to start the mixtape :)

2. I felt like this was some soft jazz fusion number. It had several elements of soft jazz within the song. (vibraphone, chill bass, soft drums (using the wires instead of sticks; that was easy enough to tell)) I like the vocals on this piece; although they're muffled and hard to understand sometimes, they fit well stylistically speaking. The string work in here also fits very well. (Pizzicato strings are great, and I love the cello bits. The string bit near the end is fabulous.) While I didn't catch most of the lyrics, I did catch a bit "where the people are pleasantly strange." I love it. As I listen to this song, I can imagine swinging lazily in a hammock on a sunny afternoon. :wacky:

I was hoping you might enjoy this one... this is Oren Lavie, with Her Morning Elegance, the opening track from his only album. It's a personal favourite of mine.

3. It starts with soft acoustic guitar. It grows louder, and it's later joined by electric guitar. I didn't know how I felt about the slight twinge of whine in the guy's voice at first, but I ultimately decided that it wasn't enough to really bother me, and I think it fits with the song pretty well. It's pretty similar to the previous track, but it's more upbeat. I like this one, too.

This is Thomas Dybdahl, a Norwegian singer/songwriter, from his first album That Great October Sound. It's called 'From Grace' and is, for me, the best track on the album. Glad to know you enjoyed it!

4. "Blood" by The Middle East. :heart: Fabulous. This was the first song I heard by them. It's a shame they've split. :cry:

Such a shame! Hehe, actually, the only reason I discovered this band was the news of their breakup a couple of weeks ago... :P

5. This is my favorite track of the whole thing. It's pretty much perfect; the vocals are highly enjoyable, the music is great, and the lyrics are spot on. I particularly love the second verse:

"The calf (?) is warm, but your milk is sour.

Life is short, but you're here to flower.

Dream yourself along another day.

Never miss an opportunity.

Don't be scared of what you cannot see.

Your only fear is possibility.

Never wonder what the hell went wrong.

Your second chance may never come along."

This really struck home with me, given the thoughts that have been running in my head lately. This was pretty much exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you so much. :hug: This track is a home run.

The lyric is 'your coffee's warm but your milk is sour...' Anyways, the artist is Pete Murray, the song's called Opportunity. It was a minor hit a few years ago in Australia. He has a lot of other excellent tracks, too; Bail Me Out, Better Days, and Lost Soul are other favourites of mine. Good to know you enjoyed it! :)

6. This starts with some moving synth stuff, which is later joined by more, bigger snyth sound. It kinda reminded me of Sparkadia. The vocals are kinda dry and whiny in a way that I don't like, so I wasn't a fan of that. The music is fine, though. I was kinda confused when the song started; due to the previous songs, by this point, I had convinced myself this was going to be a purely acoustic tape. :tongue:

This is Chinatown, by Wild Nothing. This one was a bit of a risk to put in, since it is particularly different from some of the other tracks.

And in response to the 'purely acoustic tape', my idea was to go for about a third to a half of the mixtape being acoustic, and the rest being indie rock/folk stuff. Kind of encompasses my two favourite genres of music.

7. This starts with electric guitar. The vocals remind me of Bob Dylan, who I don't like. The music's kinda "meh," too. This song for me lives in the nether region between good and bad. It's kinda just...there.

And thus begins my inevitable inclusion of local Adelaide indie acts. This is a band I only discovered a few weeks ago, called She Said You. The song's called Another Season.

8. Some of the info on this song was there. I didn't get a full song title, but the band is some band called Flight Brigade. It's very upbeat with lovely vocal harmonies. It kinda reminds me of a fresher version of Belle and Sebastian. It's very folk and very cute. :blush: "Even though it's a long, long way from Hollywood, at least it's a start. Yeah, it's a start. You can end up places you never thought you could, if you make a start, so make a start." This song made me smile. :smiley:

Heh, yeah, I was having a bit of trouble with deleting the song information, for some reason...I dunno, maybe some coding in the MP3 to prevent me from deleting song information? :uhoh:

Anyways, as you noticed, the band's Flight Brigade, and the song is A Girl Who Loves Her Smoke and Wine, from their free online EP. It's my favourite song of theirs, and one I thought you might enjoy too! :)

9. This has more rock influences. I get a slight Strokes vibe from this song. There are times when I feel the vocalist sounds slighlty like an old man. :lol: That's more in the verses than the chorus, though. "You don't seem to care about who gets in your way, and you don't seem to care about the price we had to pay." I like the OOOHS at the end, but I found it odd that the song ended on the vi chord. That baffled me a bit. This one kinda grows on you the more you listen to it.

Another Adelaide band, called Hills and Trains. Like most bands in this day and age, them doing the song live is a lot better, but I still like the studio version. Keep in mind that, due to the fact that they're only just starting out, this is technically a demo track. The song's called Days Gone By.

10. This is another acoustic track with guitar (and perhaps banjo). I spent a good chunk of my time on this song trying to figure out what the accent of the singer was. My initial guess was Irish, but later I got more Scottish vibes, so I'm not really sure. It's puzzling. The vocals themselves were OK, I guess. I do enjoy the bass line, the drums, and the use of bells. "I will hang my head, hang my head low." That was pretty much the basis of the song lyrically. It's a good song.

Ah, yes, the confusingly deceptive singing accent of Colin Meloy from The Decemberists! Well, I'm afraid you're wrong on both guesses of the accent - he's from Montana, but now lives in Oregon. But I think, due to the nature of the band in which he's playing, the accent he puts on fits well for the song. The song's called The Crane Wife 3, and is based upon a Japanese folktale.

11. "The bottoms of my shoes are clean from walking in the rain." HAHAHAHAHA, WTF. :laugh4: Don't worry; I'm not making fun. I just found that really interesting. It reminded me of when I listened to The Books on Chris' mixtape from the last exchange. The vocals grew on me the more I listened to the song. I didn't like them at first, but then I found them endearing. "She's just another beauty queen, queen of hearts with a heart made of stone." I liked that line an awful lot. Also, the chorus made me laugh: "Straight guys and college girls so tight, line up on (trucker?) drugs, let's get hiiiiiiigh." This was a nice song.

And yet another Adelaide band! Ah, I do enjoy music from my hometown, don't I? And yeah, that is an odd part of the song ;P Anyways, the song's called Ordinary Life, the band is Special Patrol. Unfortunately they're currently on indefinite hiatus, but the lead singer also has a solo project - I'm seeing him live in a couple of weeks, actually, with support by Hills and Trains (from Track 9) :D

12. I'll be completely honest with you. I hated this song. HATED IT. The vocals on this thing are just atrocious. I tried getting past it, but after listening to the first minute or so, I had to stop. Wow, I sound like a douche, LOL. :| I'm really trying not to be mean, and I'm sorry. This just didn't work for me at all.

No, it's fine, there's bound to be something on there you didn't like. Unfortunately, it's Jack's Mannequin, with their latest single My Racing Thoughts. I'll grant you, it's not their best song (and it was one of the riskier tracks on the tape), but I like it :rolleyes: Perhaps try some of their other stuff...

13. This song threw me off so many times. At the very beginning with the synths and the ocean noises, I thought of Owl City. Then the bass/lower synths came in, and I thought, "Sounds like Massive Attack." Then the soft background vocals came in, and I was like, "Thom Yorke? Is that you?" Then, when the actual vocals came in with the slightly different music, I was immediately reminded of Kasabian. This song was just a tease. :laugh4: The vocalist does remind me of a younger, crisper version of Tom Meighan, and I like the song a lot. This makes up for the previous track.

This is Aussie/New Zealand rock band Evermore, with the song Can You Hear Me?. It is an excellent song, one the band and the fans consider to be one of their best. Good to know you enjoyed it! :)

Also, the album it comes from (Truth of the World: Welcome to the Show) is an amazing album...one of my favourites. Seriously, it took me some self control not to simply put the entire album on the mixtape. If you can get your hands on this album (it should be fairly easy, since they're a relatively mainstream band), please do.

14. This begins with some acoustic guitar and humming. Hmmm. OOOOOH, there's these diddly bits in here. Those are too adorable. :blush: There's also flute! :cheesy: I think the music helps the vocals a lot. I find the vocals quite tolerable. After the soft beginning, it explodes into this bigger sound and stays that way for pretty much the rest of the song. The end was a bit too abrupt for my taste, but this was a great choice for a closing track nevertheless.

This is The Polyphonic Spree, with Section 9 (Light and Day/Reach for the Sun). I believe TPS come from your homestate of Texas...

And an interesting anecdote (well, not interesting; shall we say, noteworthy), this song appears on the soundtrack album of my favourite film of all time, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I don't think it appears in the film, but it's certainly on the album.

Given I know who you are, I think I should say this to you. You had mentioned earlier in this thread that you were quite proud of this tape. You should be. Yeah, there were things I didn't like about it (*koff* TRACK 12 *koff*), but I think generally speaking, you captured my tastes pretty well. There was a lot of folkier, more acoustic things on here (which I've grown to love, particularly as of late), and it had splashes of other things, too. I hope to get the track listing for your tape some time soon. I'm particularly excited about Track 5, as that was the song I fell in love with the most. Cheers!

Well thank you! I'm happy you enjoyed (most of) it as much as I enjoyed making it! :cheesy:

Mixtape Link

Tracklisting (Song / Artist / Album)

01- 3 Gymnopédies: #1: Lent Et Douloureux / Erik Satie / The Best of Erik Satie

02- Her Morning Elegance / Oren Lavie / The Opposite Side of the Sea

03- From Grace / Thomas Dybdahl / ...That Great October Sound

04- Blood / The Middle East / Recordings of the Middle East

05- Opportunity / Pete Murray / See the Sun

06- Chinatown / Wild Nothing / Gemini

07- Another Season / She Said You / Faces EP

08- A Girl Who Loves Her Smoke and Wine / Flight Brigade / Flight Brigade EP

09- Days Gone By / Hills & Trains / Demo EP

10- The Crane Wife 3 / The Decemberists / The Crane Wife

11- Ordinary Life / Special Patrol / The Stranger's Dozen

12- My Racing Thoughts / Jack's Mannequin / My Racing Thoughts [single]

13- Can You Hear Me? / Evermore / Truth of the World: Welcome to the Show

14- Section 9 (Light & Day/Reach for the Sun) / The Polyphonic Spree / The Beginning Stages of...

'Blank EP'

First off I have to say that I like the cover art. That's the ETIAW font right?

Track 1- Ahhh, such a good opener for the tape and even more appropriate given the weather. Who doesn't like a bit of Bono of a morning?

Track 2- At first it sort of reminds me of something off The Sims when you were in building mode (if that makes sense). It's a really nice track once the layers build up, really pretty and summer like (the pipes/flutes -do I get points for attempting to identify instruments?- sound like birds tweeting away in a chorus). I feel like I recognise the voice though from something else.

Track 3- I really do like this track. It's quite dramatic. The main problem is I keep waiting for the lyrics to start and they never arrive-- which is really disappointing. Because ssome good lyrics through a gravelly voice would've worked wonders here and made this song epic.

Track 4- As soon as the track opened I knew who it was and had to skip it, sorry. I'm not a pop music fan, so I can't really deal with Pink. :(

Track 5- A-Ha! Oh gosh, I haven't heard this version of Take on Me in an awfully long while, normally I hear the A1 version (I go to this cheesy disco night and they only play the A1 version for some reason). This one is way better, I want to listen to my 70/80's CD's now.

Track 6- The Beatles? :stunned: That's a little unexpected. And I might get shot for saying this, but I'm not a massive fan.

Track 7- This is another instrumental track. I'm terribly fussy about these as I'm not actually one for instrumentals. This one sort of sounds like it belongs on a Disney soundtrack to one of the princess ones. It is really plesant to listen to though-- and it doesn't offend me in any way. I think I might be too fast to discount instrumentals. :P

Track 8- Oh, I instantly like this track. Very nice. Right up my street with the guitar and drums and the strings on it. And I really like the singers' voice. Want more. :awesome:

Track 9- When I heard this track for the first time I skipped it. I gave it a couple more chances and it turns out that it's a bit of a grower. It picks up after the 1 minute mark, as prior to that I wasn't a huge fan. I think it's because up until that point his voice and the quite sappy lyrics are the focal point. But when everything comes together it does so in style.

Track 10- Is this more U2, I immediately asked myself in the super long intro. Then the lyrics kick in and I know that it's definitely Bono. Such a good song. I keep forgetting how large and expansive the U2 back catalogue actually is.

Track 11- This is a quite short. Once again an instrumental with some nice strings on it. Nothing hard on the ears.

Track 12- I've really run out of things to say about instrumentals. From the 2'30 mark though it sounds like it may belong to like a war film though. It has that patriotic, they're all really brave, feel with the brass bands. It seems to go on forever though Being almost 8 minutes long. I couldn't make it to the end. Sorry.

Track 13- At first I didn't think I would like this track. But how wrong was I? I haven't really heard the track before, but I'm pretty sure I recognise the voice and may have heard snippets before... Is this Elbow? (I feel like I may have heard it in Benicassim whilst sat in the grass waiting for The Strokes).

Track 14- E.L.O! Oh man, another throw back. Love it. Cue my bad singing and dancing around the room.

Track 15- It sounds like something of the Torchwood soundtrack me feels.

Track 16- Another instrumental piece. But I think it does really well to round off the entire mixtape. I really enjoy this one more, probably more than the ones prior as it has its' moments of calm and then it has the bigger, bolder moments which of course serve to make it really dramatic.

Overall, it was a nice mixtape to listen to, but there were just a few too many instrumentals for my liking (as I'm not a massive fan). I will definitely be checking out some more of track 2, 8 and 13 because they are my definite favourites.

Here's my review (later than I promised sorry :():

Track 1: Pretty much loved this after the first five seconds.

I love the folky guitar and vocals, reminds me of Fleet Foxes. This also fits my taste very well.

Track 2: I totally thought this was Lost In The Trees because of the guitar at the beginning, but when the vocals and other instruments kick in it's totally different.

I like the fast tempo, but especially the vocals sound somewhat dramatic to me.

Track 3: Oh, the echo-y guitar that opens this track is beautiful!

This one appears to be a slower track with haunting female vocals that fit the guitar perfectly. Wow, I love the part when the drums kick in. :stunned:

Track 4: The lyrics caught my attention, so sweet! I like this singer, he's got a very nice voice. Such an uplifting song, puts me in a good mood!

Track 5: Okay this one's very interesting, sounds pretty oldish to me. I'm not sure whether I like this singer at all though.

Oh, apparently my iTunes Genius is a witch and somehow found out this is David Bowie. :blank: It hasn't got any info left though.

Track 6: This one sounds old too. I really like the bassline and that electic guitar. The lyrics are kinda scary though.

The guitar bits are the best I think. :wacky:

Track 7: The Woods by Bon Iver! I just love the ridiculous use of autotune. Omg, now there's rapping (this is what I love about mixtapes, the surprises). Nice beat haha, danceable track.

Okay I'm not sure whether this is a remix or a mashup or whatever, but I find it quite enjoyable. :P

Track 8: Piano and violin, fuck yeah. No song can fail with those instruments in it. Pretty! This appears to be an instrumental.

This could be straight from a soundtrack for a movie, really. The build-up is amazing. This track is brilliant. :nod:

Track 9: Sounds like a country track!

Some guitar and female vocals, the chorus is so catchy! :wacky:

Track 10: Okay, this song opens with guitar, after that, quite deep and strong male vocals appear.

This is rather rocky, fast tempo track, with interesting use of the electric guiter. Those vocals and the guitar make a very cool combo actually.

Track 11: This one is very easy-listenable, light song with acoustic guitar and some guy with a nice voice singing.

Very simple, nice track. Liked it a lot.

Track 12: Again, lovely vocalist, this time it's a female. And this is a folk song too. Wait, I have a pretty song feeling that this is Laura Marling, just because of the line "England Covered In Song".

I see that song title on my iTunes recommended songs so often. I'm glad you chose to put this on my mixtape, because I loved it! Lovely closer too!

Favourite tracks: 1, 3, 4, 8, 11, 12.

Thank you so much! I really enjoyed this mixtape and now I'm almost embarrassed of my own.

Hey Kelsie! I'm your mixtape maker :D

Track 1. This one is fully instrumental. The electric guitars make it sound kind of spacy, but there's also this electronic/synthetic instrument playing the melody that sounds like it came straight from a video game. I like it a lot, it makes a nice first track.

This is a bonus track from the new Kaiser Chief's album, it's called Howlaround. I saw these guys at a festival a couple of weeks ago and they played this song as they were coming onstage. I thought it was a great opener for the concert, and therefore might be a good opener for the mixtape.

Track 2. This starts with a steady drumbeat and electric guitars. I don't like the singer's voice a whole lot, but it's a pretty fun/danceable song.

This one is by a guy called Miles Kane, I've been really into his album lately. I can understand why you wouldn't like his voice, but if it grows on you (it did on me) I'd recommend checking out his album, Colour of the Trap. This is the first song of the album, called Come Closer.

Track 3. This one has a very summery feel. The singer is female and has kind of a childish voice. I'm pretty sure this is Cults, if not it sounds a lot like them. There are a lot of muffled voices in the background. Overall it's a pretty good song, the instrumentation is repetitive but I like it.

Yep, it's Cults! This one is called Most Wanted.

Track 4. This sounds extremely familiar. I think it's from 60s or 70s, sort of soul music I guess. It's not my favorite so far, but it fits in really well the rest of the songs in this mixtape.

This is a band I just happened to stumble on at the same festival I saw Kaisers, called Fitz and the Tantrums. This song is called Money Grabber, and was released only last year. All their music is a bit like this, I've been really enjoying them lately.

Track 5. The guitar in the beginning is really pretty. It also has a nice beat, and I like the Celtic-sounding flute. I know this song, I don't remember what it's called, but it's one of the few Modest Mouse songs I've been familiar with. It's very dreamy, I think that's the best way to describe it. I like this one a lot.

Yep, Modest Mouse... I was also lucky enough to see these guys a couple of weeks ago. This one's called The World At Large.

Track 6. This starts out with a repetitive acoustic guitar and a xylophone. I like the singer's voice in this song. It's very mellow and quiet until halfway, and then the singer begins to sing louder and an octave higher and the song becomes a little tense. Then a woman begins singing, and then it goes back to the guy again. Wow, this is really good.

I'm glad you liked this one, because it's probably my favourite song at the moment! The singer calls himself Gotye, he's an Australian artist. The female guest vocal is a NZ artist (therefore basically Australia :P), called Kimbra. This song is called Somebody That I Used to Know. I'm just loving it so much right now!

Track 7. This one has a lot of electro/synth sounds combined with electric guitars/bass/drums etc. It kind of sounds like an 80s song because of that, but I'm sure it's much more recent than that. It's not a terrible song, but the melody and the singer's voice doesn't do much for me.

This is another song from Kaiser Chiefs, but the drummer is singing this one, which is called Man On Mars. I always though it was OK until I fell in love after hearing it live, so I can understand if it's not your thing.

Track 8. This is a piano-driven song sung by a female. Some drums and another singer come in after almost a minute. The singer's voice is really nice, and the vocal harmonies sound pretty.

This group is a supergroup of three well-known (here, anyway) folky-sounding female singers - Sarah Blasko, Holly Throsby (who does the main vocals on this one) and Sally Seltman. Together they call themselves Seeker Lover Keeper, and this song is called Even Though I'm a Woman. One of my favourites on their self-titled album. They're a gorgeous trio :wacky:

Track 9. This starts out with a banjo and a guitar. Very folk sounding, which is perfect because I've been really into folk lately :awesome: I like the singer's voice a lot, and that the music has such a full sound with so many instruments and backup singers. Pretty great song with a nice build up.

This is a pretty popular up-and-coming Australian band called Boy and Bear, and this is them covering a song that's pretty famous out here called Fall at Your Feet. These guys are great, I'm yet to listen to their debut album (it was released last week) but their EP, With Emperor Antarctica, is brilliant.

Track 10. This is an acoustic version of Kids by MGMT. Don't know what more to say. I've heard Kids plenty of times, and the singer's voice kind of grates me. The guitar in this version is pretty soothing though.

I thought this one might be a bit risky. Like you said, it's a cover of Kids, by a guy called Ben Lee.

Track 11. This has some pretty... interesting sounds in the beginning. Then this electronic tune comes in, and I was almost convinced this was an Owl City song. But then the singer comes in and it doesn't sound like Adam Young. The beats and melody gives this song sort of an African tribal-type sound. The lyrics are kind of silly, "Paper cups and lover's hiccups." I really liked this one a lot.

Haha, these guys are one of my favourite up-and-coming bands. They're from my city (Brisbane) and they're called Jinja Safari (on a side note - their live shows are insane!) This song is called Hiccups. If you really like them, I'm not sure how available their stuff is overseas, so I could help you out there if you like :nice:

Track 12. This one has a very long, spacy intro with lots of synths, and I think I can hear someone singing faintly. Then it pauses and changes tempo. The drums seem to be getting faster and faster, but the synths are being dragged out longer and longer. Nice instrumental

This is a cover, performed by Holy Fuck, of a song called Balloons originally by Foals. I don't think any more really needs to be said.

Track 13. This one sounds very familiar, but I can't remember where I've heard it before. I like the sounds in the beginning. The song picks up tempo during the chorus, which is pretty catchy.

The song is called Waste, the band is called Foster the People. Check them out, they're a great band!

Track 14. This flows very nicely from the previous song, I must say. This song is perfect for summer, it's about taking a trip to the beach. I don't really like the part in the middle where she kind of talks. The humming in the beginning and end is really pretty though.

'Naked Kids' by an American band called Grouplove. I happened to see them at again the same festival and was very impressed with their sound, so I thought I'd share the love.

Track 15. This starts with an electric guitar and has a fast tempo. The singer has a nice, deep voice. He sounded a bit like one of the singers of Wild Beasts to me at first.

The Vaccines! These guys are possibly my favourite discovery of this year, if you like this song you're pretty much guaranteed to like their debut album. This on is called Wolf Pack.

Track 16. This is another fast-tempo song. I like the brass section in this song. Don't care much for the singer's voice. Over all, it's a fun song with a nice chorus.

'Options' by a band called Gomez. I think it's a pretty uplifting, fun song and thought it would be a nice way to end the tape.

Over all, I think this mixtape flows very well and has a nice, mellow sound that feels perfect for summer. My favorite songs were 5, 6, 9, and 11. I can't wait to find out the tracklisting! Thanks so much mixtape maker, I enjoyed this a lot :nice:

I'm so glad you enjoyed my tape, thanks so much for listening and reviewing so quickly! I'm also very glad you thought it had good flow - I always try to do that but you're the first person to actually say anything!

I love happy, summery songs and I think I translated that pretty well, and I'm so glad you enjoyed it too :nice:

I also didn't realise until I starting writing my responses to your comments just how much seeing a band live affects my judgement of them haha - of the 15 artists on this tape, I happened to see 8 of them at Splendour in the Grass only a couple of weeks ago :P

Tracklisting:

1. Howlaround - Kaiser Chiefs

2. Come Closer - Miles Kane

3. Most Wanted - Cults

4. Money Grabber - Fitz & the Tantrums

5. The World at Large - Modest Mouse

6. Somebody That I Used to Know (feat. Kimbra) - Gotye

7. Man On Mars - Kaiser Chiefs

8. Even Though I'm a Woman - Seeker Lover Keeper

9. Fall at Your Feet - Boy & Bear

10. Kids (MGMT cover) - Ben Lee

11. Hiccups - Jinja Safari

12. Balloons (Foals cover) - Holy Fuck

13. Waste - Foster the People

14. Naked Kids - Grouplove

15. Wolf Pack - The Vaccines

16. Options - Gomez

Link:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9QGCBT0L

I've been listening to my tape as I've been replying so I'll post my review in a second :D

Aaaaand here's my review of my mixtape, called 'So Long Cowboy':

01 – The voice is familiar, but I couldn’t tell you who it is. Strings, interesting percussion (like!). I’m not the biggest fan of the vocals but I actually quite like the song, a great opener!

02 – Spanish guitar and a drumbeat that reminds me of Muse’s “Soldier’s Poem” :P. Some really nice vocal harmonies in the song, and the ending kind of reminds me of Beirut.

03 – High pitched female vocals, a nice piano-driven song that’s quite melancholy-sounding. PJ Harvey springs to mind, but I’m not even a little bit sure about that!

04 – This mixtape has had quite a dramatic feel to it so far and this song is no exception! This one particularly sounds like it could be on the soundtrack to a film. Vocals that remind me ever so slightly of Fleet Foxes, but I know it’s not them. More strings and interesting sounds.

05 – Speak of the devil! The beginning of this song reminds me a little of Boy and Bear, a little Australian band… and then I realise it’s Fleet Foxes :D I’m not familiar with the song, but it HAS to be Fleet Foxes. And therefore, I like it :awesome:

06 – Another artist I recognize – Laura Marling! I love this girl’s voice, it’s absolutely gorgeous. This is Alpha Shallows – I’ve never listened to her extensively (thanks for reminding me to do that) but I knew this song. I’m really excited for her new album!

07 – Harmonicas! Haha. A nice cheerful vibe to this one, it feels like the sun has come out from behind the storm clouds that the previous songs were hiding in. A pretty light song, with a folky vibe to it. I really like this one.

08 – Animal Collective? It sounds like them, but the vocals sound different. I’m not very familiar with bands of this genre. If you know Animal Collective, then you’ll kind of know what this song sounds like, I don’t really know how else to explain it! :lol: I like it, though.

09 – An acoustic number… is that a banjo? :lol: Really nice male vocals, a really pretty song. Interested to see who this is!

10 – There is something about the muffled sound of the voice that for some reason annoyed me ever so slightly in the beginning, but then the song kind of kicks up a gear and I found myself really, really enjoying this song. I can’t even say particularly why it’s great, I just like it!

11 – Is this Gil Scott-Heron? If not, it sounds like him! Acoustic and country-sounding electric guitars. I get the feeling he was saying something important but I couldn't keep myself concentrating on his voice - but that's my fault, not his :P

12 – This song flows really well from the previous one. Quite fast paced, strings kick in about halfway through. Not my favourite on the mixtape, but it’s not bad. I find the melodies a little bit annoying, but it’s still a good song in my opinion.

13 – Another song that begins as an acoustic song, there is a lot of background noise of kids playing. I like the beat in this one, it sounds calm but quite playful at the same time.

14 – More strings! I love the addition of the plucking of the violin strings (I think that’s what it is, anyway). The buildup in this song is fantastic up to the piano-driven part of the song, where some male harmonies join the female vocals.

15 – A country-tinged song that is almost instrumental, bar one verse at the beginning. It then merges into this… ambience (I don’t really know how to explain it) that just slowly winds down and finishes the tape off nicely.

Thanks so much for the awesome mixtape! I thought this tape flowed really nicely, and although I probably enjoyed the first half of the tape a little more, I really enjoyed the whole tape! I also liked the theme you applied to the mixtape... I'm not exactly sure what it was, but it worked, if that makes sense! The album artwork suited the mood of the mixtape really well.

I'm sorry my review isn't great, I'd normally like to listen to it a couple of times before reviewing but unfortunately I just don't have the time at the moment! :(

My favourite songs were probably tracks 5, 6, 7, 9 and 10.

Very much looking forward to finding out the tracklisting, thanks heaps again! :D

'Blank EP'

First off I have to say that I like the cover art. That's the ETIAW font right?

Track 1- Ahhh, such a good opener for the tape and even more appropriate given the weather. Who doesn't like a bit of Bono of a morning?

Beautiful Day - U2

Track 2- At first it sort of reminds me of something off The Sims when you were in building mode (if that makes sense). It's a really nice track once the layers build up, really pretty and summer like (the pipes/flutes -do I get points for attempting to identify instruments?- sound like birds tweeting away in a chorus). I feel like I recognise the voice though from something else.

Go Do - Jonsi

Track 3- I really do like this track. It's quite dramatic. The main problem is I keep waiting for the lyrics to start and they never arrive-- which is really disappointing. Because ssome good lyrics through a gravelly voice would've worked wonders here and made this song epic.

Quiet - This Will Destroy You (Weird Title I Know :P)

Track 4- As soon as the track opened I knew who it was and had to skip it, sorry. I'm not a pop music fan, so I can't really deal with Pink. :(

Raise Your Glass - Pink

Track 5- A-Ha! Oh gosh, I haven't heard this version of Take on Me in an awfully long while, normally I hear the A1 version (I go to this cheesy disco night and they only play the A1 version for some reason). This one is way better, I want to listen to my 70/80's CD's now.

Take on Me - Aha

Track 6- The Beatles? :stunned: That's a little unexpected. And I might get shot for saying this, but I'm not a massive fan.

Back in the USSR - The Beatles

Track 7- This is another instrumental track. I'm terribly fussy about these as I'm not actually one for instrumentals. This one sort of sounds like it belongs on a Disney soundtrack to one of the princess ones. It is really plesant to listen to though-- and it doesn't offend me in any way. I think I might be too fast to discount instrumentals. :P

Real Rain - Randy Newman (Pleasantville OST) :awesome

Track 8- Oh, I instantly like this track. Very nice. Right up my street with the guitar and drums and the strings on it. And I really like the singers' voice. Want more. :awesome:

Drops if Jupiter - Train

Track 9- When I heard this track for the first time I skipped it. I gave it a couple more chances and it turns out that it's a bit of a grower. It picks up after the 1 minute mark, as prior to that I wasn't a huge fan. I think it's because up until that point his voice and the quite sappy lyrics are the focal point. But when everything comes together it does so in style.

The Riddle - Five for Fighting

Track 10- Is this more U2, I immediately asked myself in the super long intro. Then the lyrics kick in and I know that it's definitely Bono. Such a good song. I keep forgetting how large and expansive the U2 back catalogue actually is.

City of Blinding Lights - U2

Track 11- This is a quite short. Once again an instrumental with some nice strings on it. Nothing hard on the ears.

Mural - Randy Newman (Pleasantville OST)

Track 12- I've really run out of things to say about instrumentals. From the 2'30 mark though it sounds like it may belong to like a war film though. It has that patriotic, they're all really brave, feel with the brass bands. It seems to go on forever though Being almost 8 minutes long. I couldn't make it to the end. Sorry.

Launch - Trevor Rabin (Armageddon OST)

Track 13- At first I didn't think I would like this track. But how wrong was I? I haven't really heard the track before, but I'm pretty sure I recognise the voice and may have heard snippets before... Is this Elbow? (I feel like I may have heard it in Benicassim whilst sat in the grass waiting for The Strokes).

Open Arms - Elbow

Track 14- E.L.O! Oh man, another throw back. Love it. Cue my bad singing and dancing around the room.

Mr. Blue Sky - ELO

Track 15- It sounds like something of the Torchwood soundtrack me feels.

It's Our Fight - Steve Jablonsky (Transformers 3 OST)

Track 16- Another instrumental piece. But I think it does really well to round off the entire mixtape. I really enjoy this one more, probably more than the ones prior as it has its' moments of calm and then it has the bigger, bolder moments which of course serve to make it really dramatic.

Rescue - Klaus Badelt (Rescue Dawn OST)

Overall, it was a nice mixtape to listen to, but there were just a few too many instrumentals for my liking (as I'm not a massive fan). I will definitely be checking out some more of track 2, 8 and 13 because they are my definite favourites.

Hello partner :P I know I have WAY to many OSTs in there :uhoh: I'm basically centered around Coldplay, movie OSTs, and theses songs here. The Pink situation is understandable :P I just took all the non Coldplay songs and stuck them in a zip folder.

The Beatles thing I'm ok with too :D

As for the font: Yes it is :awesome: complete with the Major Minus Eye, Teardrops, and Rocket smoke as you saw :P Every Truefont is a Wizefont: ETIAW

Thanks for an indepth review that I failed to give my partner :cry: and I'm glad you enjoyed it :P

Beautiful Day - U2

Go Do - Jonsi

Quiet - This Will Destroy You

Raise Your Glass - P!nk

Take on Me - A-Ha

Back in the USSR - The Beatles

Real Rain - Randy Newman (Pleasantville OST)

Drops of Jupiter - Train

The Riddle - Five for Fighting

City of Blinding Lights - U2

Mural - Randy Newman (Pleasantville OST)

Launch - Trevor Rabin (Armageddon OST)*

Open Arms - Elbow

Mr. Blue Sky - ELO

It's Our Fight - Steve Jablonsky (Transformers 3 OST)

Rescue - Klaus Badelt (Rescue Dawn OST)

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?qdfeksdwde4jz9r

My review:

1. Good opener. I like the lyrics and has a catchy chorus.

2. Ooh, Placebo – Pure Morining! I approve, love this song and Placebo. :D

3. This song’s good and exciting. I particularly like the guitar. I’m going to go ahead and assume it’s called Living on the Edge? :P

4. Starts off slow and acoustic then gets more upbeat with a good chorus. Like it.

5. Oh, I know this! Paint it Black by The Rolling Stones. This is one of my dad’s favourite songs, haha. Good choice.

6. It's okay. I'm not a fan of the vocals which kind of distracts me from the rest of the music.

7. Vocals sound familiar. AC/DC? Not their best but not bad.

8. This is nice, quite mellow and enjoyable, I like it. It sounds familiar but I can’t place it.

9. Again, I recognise the voice. Guns n’ Roses. Don’t think I’ve heard this before one though. Not a huge fan of GnR, to be honest.

10. Bon Jovi – Always. Recognised it straight away. Nice!

11. Acoustic and sounds pop-punkish. I would of probably loved this when I was 13.

12. Could recognised this instantly. Radiohead – Exit Music (For A Film) :heart: Lovely. One of my favourites by Radiohead.

13. At first, the first few seconds reminded me of Paradise City by Guns n’ Roses. Then the vocals came in. Sounds like Ozzy Osbourne/Black Sabbath. I could be wrong though.

14. Awww yeahh, Muse! Soldier’s Poem. Excellent choice even though I was pleasantly surprised to hear this.

15. It sounds quite Beatles influenced and reminded me of Maxwell's Silver Hammer. :lol: but it’s my least favourite, didn’t like it. Sorry.

16. Postcards From Far Away, a nice ending.

Overall, I thought it was a nice mixtape. The majority of it sounded very American-ish. :lol: I have a feeling the mixtape maker likes the older classic bands. :P

Hey mixtape partner, I already listened to your mixtape twice and this is my review!

WARNING: I suck at reviewing. :disappointed:

SIDE 1

Track 1

This song sounds so dark. Not my favorite for sure, I'm sorry. But it’s not too bad after all. 5.5/10

Track 2

Ah, this is much better than the opening track. Sounds kinda dreamy, I like it. 8/10

Track 3

I like the music and the use of instrument, but I’m not a fan of the vocal. But the song is getting better towards the end with the guitar riff. 7/10

Track 4

I can’t tell whether this is an instrumental track or not, but I think it is. I like the speedy drum beats and the chime, as well as the choral voice at the beginning. Good one. 8.5/10

Track 5

Ooooohhh me gusta. Reminds me of a band that I’m familiar with, but I really couldn’t point out who! 8.5/10

Track 6

Sounds like something from Four Tet, not something that I usually listen to, but this one is quite alright especially towards the end. 7.5/10

Track 7

The beginning made me feel like in Caribbean or something :lol: There were a few dialogue lines which made me really feel like I’m on a beach. K Maybe because it sounds so retro. I don’t really like it, sorry. 3/10

Track 8

This is grrreaaat! I instantly loved it! A pretty mellow track, begins with mellow guitar plucking. Eh, I kinda like this one. The lyrics are simple yet are very meaningful for me, personally. “I won't run far. I won't run far. I can always be found.” Me likey. I’ll keep this one. 9.5/10

SIDE 2

Track 1

:wtf: It’s a conversation between two guys. I heard the word Turkish, German and a Japanese name- Kobayashi? :lol: How could I rate dialogues? :P I’d give it a 4 :P 4/10

Track 2

A dramatic instrumental track. It has a feeling like someone is chasing after you while you have a bunch of keys and you’re trying to find the right key of a lock so that you can escape. :surprised: 7/10

Track 3

Wah the drum intro freaked me out :lol: I can hear trumpet, drums and guitar everywhere. It has a Spanish-feeling, that I’m not sure how to explain. 6/10

Track 4

Bon Iver’s Calgary! Great choice, mixtaper, great choice. :botoxlips: 9.5/10

Track 5

From Bon Iver to this electronic stuff, it doesn’t flow really well, Mr :P Is this Thom Yorke? The vocal sounds like Thom Yorke, but I’m not too sure. I’m neither a huge Radiohead nor Thom fan so I can’t really tell. I don’t think it’s Thom though. 8/10

Track 6

Very mysterious yet so calm. Another track that sounds like a background music of a movie! 8/10

Track 7

Arabic song? Or Sufi music? I’m pretty sure that it’s Arabic. Anyways it’s cool to have a mystical track like this one in the tape. But it’s too long -__- Being over 8 minutes long I couldn't make it till the end. 7/10

Track 8

It’s just too short for me to write a review. :lol: It’s okay. 6/10

Track 9

Somehow this track reminds me of the marching band song :p Not bad, but I hardly listen to stuff like this so I can’t decide whether I actually like it. 6/10

Average score: 7/10

Overall it is a good mix, and I believe some other members would think this is a spectacular playlist. I think I prefer Side 1 more than side 2. Highlights are Side 1’s track 2, 4, 5, 8 and Side 2’s track 4. Thanks for compiling this mixtape for me! I’m glad that it’s full of something new, stuff that I don’t usually listen to (i.e. instrumentals) and surprisingly it turns out good! I’m looking forward to see the tracklisting soon!

Hey Kimberly, that's my mixtape. :nice: If I knew you're a piano and strings lover, I would've made a mixtape full of those kind of songs! :P I actually intended to make a folky mixtape, but then I also wanted to make it sound a bit summery so I just jumbled up indie folk and indie rock, and that was the outcome. :lol:

Track 1: I’m going to presume this is an intro track, based upon it’s short stature. It has some funky piano and guitar like twangs. Interesting track.

Yeah I put this up as a prelude. :)

'Miniature', an instrumental track from Super Furry Animals.

Track 2: Mellow singer, and mellow song, nice combination, I enjoy the beat not heavy drums, but enough to keep a strong beat in the background. The chimes in the middle are a fun little spice to the song. Pleasant song overall. Not a bad first song.

'Excuse' by The Morning Benders.

Track 3:Guitar intro has some fun riffs, but a bit repetitive. Combination of male and female singer, sometimes bad together, but in this case it is not. Almost reminds me of arcade fire, but if they decided to sing more softly..? Cool track.

omg you're the nth person telling me that this band sounds like Arcade Fire. :surprised: Perhaps you're right, there was certain time their music sounds like materials from Funeral. This is 'Harold T. Wilkins or How To Wait For A Very Long Time' by Fanfarlo.

Track 4: Funky accordion intro, then enter the horns and drums, I have a feeling I might enjoy this! Oooh the singer reminds me someone but I can’t place my finger on it. Charming track, not bad, I believe I will keep this one.

This is Beirut, the song is called 'A Candle's Fire' taken from their upcoming album, The Rip Tide.

Track 5: A very folksy song, almost seems like a drinking song, that men would sing in a pub, haha. This song just puts you in a happy mood. Me likey.

I just discovered this band, they are Butcher the Bar. The song is called 'Cradle Song'. Glad to know that you like it!

Track 6: Eh singer has a touch of a whiny voice.. Kind of reminds me of Ra Ra Riot.. yeah not my favorite track, but it’s not terrible.

You got it right, it's Ra Ra Riot's 'Ghost Under Rocks'.

Track 7: Ooh love the deep cello with the keyboard intro, pretty chill song, I really like it. You can hear the singers passion as he grows gradually louder, and then into a really high falsetto. Thumbs up Mixtaper.

omg, you know what, I almost replaced this song with some other random song because I was worried you won't like it :lol: This is 'Rushing' by Geographer. They're incredibly underrated.

Track 8: Ah sorry I can’t listen to this track it is desperately messed up! I don’t think the song is suppose to sound like this, it’s like when you are trying to watch a tv show and a heavy rainstorm is going on outside and your satellite cuts in and out and the sound overlaps and cuts in and out. Ouch.

I'm really sorry, I actually had given someone this mixtape for pre-listen before I sent it in, and she told me that Track 8 is broken. I tried to download it on my own and strangely it worked fine for me. I should've reuploaded the whole thing again but I didn't, argh. Sorry, it's my fault. Anyway this track is supposed to be 'Free' by Mike Mains and the Branches.

Track 9: The musical aspect to the song is nice, I like the drum, the fun guitar, but the singer..Oh the singer sounds like the singer from Fall out Boy ☹. Yeah not my favorite. Sorry.

omg, this is actually my favorite track of the mix :lol: This is 'Anna Sun' by Walk the Moon.

Track 10: Sounds like a summer guitar song, and the drums just add to it. Fun chimes again, So many different instruments and sounds all in one! Crazy combo, but yet it works! Yeah this a summery song in my opinion, I think I shall keep it ;)

Yay you actually sensed the summery part of the tape :awesome: This is 'Ceiling of Plankton' by Givers.

Track 11: Hmm I feel like I have heard this before but I just can’t remember the track name. This particular song has guitar riffs that remind me of two door cinema club. Not a bad track.

This is 'Joanna' by a British band called Little Comets. They described their music as 'kitchen sink indie' music. :|

Track 12: Ah Bright Eyes. Yup good band. Nice choice mixtaper.

Score! Yes, it's 'Jejune Stars' by Bright Eyes.

Track 13: Foster the People, Waste, tight band, tight song.

Double score! 'Waste' by Foster the People.

Track 14: Oh geez love this song! Young Folks, by Peter Bjorn and John. Classic song infact. Yay!

Hat-trick! :awesome:'Young Folks' by Peter Bjorn and John.

Track 15: This is probably my favorite song on the mixtape, it reminds me so much of Bon Iver.. Seriously gorgeous track and the piano, oh I am such a sucker for piano and strings. I will be keeping this one for sure!

You like it, yay! :wacky: You got it half correct. Yes, this is Justin Vernon from Bon Iver, featuring Aaron Dessner of The National. The song is called 'Big Red Machine'.

Track 16: Hmm why does this sound so familiar? I’m pretty sure I have heard this track before.. A soft track to end the mixtape that asks question and lets you ponder what you have just heard. The guitar is charming, it’s soft, but helps the singer with just the right amount of background noise. Also a great track!

:awesome: This is Fleet Foxes' 'Blue Spotted Tail', taken from their latest album Helplessness Blues.

Oh mixtaper, you are a clever cookie, I love that you gave me a track summary, letting me here a couple of seconds of each song to refresh my memory. Overall a pretty good mixtape, Highlights are tracks 5, 7, 15, 16.

Well done, you have some great taste in music, it’s quite obvious in the songs you choose. Thank you for taking the time to make this tape!!

I'm happy to know that you like it, Kimberly! Thanks for listening and reviewing! :hug:

This is the tracklisting:

Tracklisting.JPG

Please please please skip track 8 because there's a technical error that I have no idea how it happened. :sad:

So if you want to have a 3-minute review, I already made a track summary. I extracted 10 seconds of every song into a single track. Maybe after you listened to this you can decide whether the whole mixtape is worth downloading or not.

Track summary: http://www.mediafire.com/?ervtc955q6pa3j9

Mixtape: http://www.mediafire.com/?35lov1zxpi3pnn1