✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The 10th Mixtape Exchange (Tapes due Mon., Aug. 8 @ 5 pm CST (GMT -6))

Violet

Noooo! :lol: That is awesome. I thought it could possibly be you as I was listening to it, but then I was just like 'nah, there's no way that would happen...' :lol:

That's ok, just take your time!

And if you need guidance for where to start for any of those bands, just let me know!

I guess he does sound a bit like the original singer of MGMT, I've never really noticed it before :surprised:

Haha, I was stumped on who made mine, but I thought there was no way it'd be from the same person I made mine for :tongue:

I will, thanks Grace!

I'll probably have to listen to the original again and compare them, but I almost thought someone removed everything from the original besides the vocals and just added the acoustic guitar part, haha.

Aaaaand here's my review of my mixtape, called 'So Long Cowboy':

01 – The voice is familiar, but I couldn’t tell you who it is. Strings, interesting percussion (like!). I’m not the biggest fan of the vocals but I actually quite like the song, a great opener!

This is Isobel by Björk. I just started listening to her a few weeks ago and became addicted, especially to this song, and I could not leave her off of this mixtape. I can totally understand not liking her voice though.

02 – Spanish guitar and a drumbeat that reminds me of Muse’s “Soldier’s Poem” :P. Some really nice vocal harmonies in the song, and the ending kind of reminds me of Beirut.

This is Effigy, by Andrew Bird. When I came up with the idea for the theme of this mixtape, I thought this song would be perfect for it.

03 – High pitched female vocals, a nice piano-driven song that’s quite melancholy-sounding. PJ Harvey springs to mind, but I’m not even a little bit sure about that!

This song is The Hole is Wide by Marissa Nadler. I just discovered her not too long ago and I think her music is really pretty :wacky: I can kinda see the similarity to PJ Harvey though.

04 – This mixtape has had quite a dramatic feel to it so far and this song is no exception! This one particularly sounds like it could be on the soundtrack to a film. Vocals that remind me ever so slightly of Fleet Foxes, but I know it’s not them. More strings and interesting sounds.

This is from one of my favorite albums released this year. This song is As I Lay My Head Down, by Other Lives.

05 – Speak of the devil! The beginning of this song reminds me a little of Boy and Bear, a little Australian band… and then I realise it’s Fleet Foxes :D I’m not familiar with the song, but it HAS to be Fleet Foxes. And therefore, I like it :awesome:

Yep, this is Fleet Foxes! This is English House, from their second EP.

06 – Another artist I recognize – Laura Marling! I love this girl’s voice, it’s absolutely gorgeous. This is Alpha Shallows – I’ve never listened to her extensively (thanks for reminding me to do that) but I knew this song. I’m really excited for her new album!

I thought maybe you had listened to Laura Marling before, so I wasn't sure whether I should include this song or not. This is my favorite song of hers right now though and I thought it fit with the theme so I just couldn't bring myself to remove it :shy:

07 – Harmonicas! Haha. A nice cheerful vibe to this one, it feels like the sun has come out from behind the storm clouds that the previous songs were hiding in. A pretty light song, with a folky vibe to it. I really like this one.

I was obsessed with this song a while ago :P This is called The Balcony, by a Danish band called The Rumour Said Fire.

08 – Animal Collective? It sounds like them, but the vocals sound different. I’m not very familiar with bands of this genre. If you know Animal Collective, then you’ll kind of know what this song sounds like, I don’t really know how else to explain it! :lol: I like it, though.

This is actually by Deakin, a member of Animal Collective. This song was on an EP they released this year called Keep Cassette. Each member of the band wrote and recorded their own song for this EP.

09 – An acoustic number… is that a banjo? :lol: Really nice male vocals, a really pretty song. Interested to see who this is!

This is Romulus, by Sufjan Stevens. I'm actually really happy you liked this one :wacky: You should definitely check out his older albums, especially Illinois and Michigan. I think you'd like them.

10 – There is something about the muffled sound of the voice that for some reason annoyed me ever so slightly in the beginning, but then the song kind of kicks up a gear and I found myself really, really enjoying this song. I can’t even say particularly why it’s great, I just like it!

I really love this song too, in fact I've been listening to it quite a lot recently. This is Civilian by Wye Oak.

11 – Is this Gil Scott-Heron? If not, it sounds like him! Acoustic and country-sounding electric guitars. I get the feeling he was saying something important but I couldn't keep myself concentrating on his voice - but that's my fault, not his :P

This is Bill Callahan, aka Smog, actually :P The song is called Baby's Breath.

12 – This song flows really well from the previous one. Quite fast paced, strings kick in about halfway through. Not my favourite on the mixtape, but it’s not bad. I find the melodies a little bit annoying, but it’s still a good song in my opinion.

This one's called Lonesome Words by Gruff Rhys, who is also the singer of Super Furry Animals. This is another song that immediately came to mind when I decided on the theme.

13 – Another song that begins as an acoustic song, there is a lot of background noise of kids playing. I like the beat in this one, it sounds calm but quite playful at the same time.

This is I'll Be on the Water, by the freak-folk band Akron/Family.

14 – More strings! I love the addition of the plucking of the violin strings (I think that’s what it is, anyway). The buildup in this song is fantastic up to the piano-driven part of the song, where some male harmonies join the female vocals.

This is by Lia Ices, who I also discovered somewhat recently. The male singer near the end is Justin Vernon, btw :awesome:

15 – A country-tinged song that is almost instrumental, bar one verse at the beginning. It then merges into this… ambience (I don’t really know how to explain it) that just slowly winds down and finishes the tape off nicely.

This is the song the mixtape was named after - So Long Cowboy, by a Danish band called Epo-555.

Thanks so much for the awesome mixtape! I thought this tape flowed really nicely, and although I probably enjoyed the first half of the tape a little more, I really enjoyed the whole tape! I also liked the theme you applied to the mixtape... I'm not exactly sure what it was, but it worked, if that makes sense! The album artwork suited the mood of the mixtape really well.

I'm sorry my review isn't great, I'd normally like to listen to it a couple of times before reviewing but unfortunately I just don't have the time at the moment! :(

My favourite songs were probably tracks 5, 6, 7, 9 and 10.

Very much looking forward to finding out the tracklisting, thanks heaps again! :D

Thanks for the review! I'm so glad you liked the mixtape. I was aiming for a folky/Western theme, but there were a couple songs that probably didn't fit so well. But I'm glad you think it flows nicely, I always try to make my mixtapes flow too.

Here's the full track listing and link:

1. Björk - Isobel (Post)

2. Andrew Bird - Effigy (Noble Beast)

3. Marissa Nadler - The Hole is Wide (Little Hells)

4. Other Lives - As I Lay My Head Down (Tamer Animals)

5. Fleet Foxes - English House (Sun Giant)

6. Laura Marling - Alpha Shallows (I Speak Because I Can)

7. The Rumour Said Fire - The Balcony (The Life and Death of a Male Body)

8. Deakin - Country Report (Keep Cassette)

9. Sufjan Stevens - Romulus (Michigan)

10. Wye Oak - Civilian (Civilian)

11. Bill Callahan - Baby's Breath (Apocalypse)

12. Gruff Rhys - Lonesome Words (Candylion)

13. Akron/Family - I'll Be on the Water (Akron/Family)

14. Lia Ices - Daphne (Grown Unknown)

15. Epo-555 - So Long Cowboy (Dexter Fox)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K4MH1J1E

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh hi mixtape maker. I'm Paula :nice:

Ahhhh The Twilight Sad. My brother likes them. I shall have to check 'em out :D And i've heard positive things about Battles and Four Tet before too (but not heard the music) so I'll be seeking them out on Spotify too.

Urgh, I really hate iTunes. iTunes is the anti-Christ in my book ;) Mind you, I only managed 27 seconds of that youtube link anyway before I had to switch it off, so it's probably just as well I couldn't play it before. :P Rap's not my thing, sorry. A good tape tho overall, thanks :thumbsup:

Oh also, I meant to ask, what's the picture on the artwork you used? Looks like an aerial shot of a city. I'm just being curious...

Oh hi mixtape maker. I'm Paula :nice:

Ahhhh The Twilight Sad. My brother likes them. I shall have to check 'em out :D And i've heard positive things about Battles and Four Tet before too (but not heard the music) so I'll be seeking them out on Spotify too.

Urgh, I really hate iTunes. iTunes is the anti-Christ in my book ;) Mind you, I only managed 27 seconds of that youtube link anyway before I had to switch it off, so it's probably just as well I couldn't play it before. :P Rap's not my thing, sorry. A good tape tho overall, thanks :thumbsup:

Oh also, I meant to ask, what's the picture on the artwork you used? Looks like an aerial shot of a city. I'm just being curious...

Hello, Paula! I'm Lana :nice:

I don't like iTunes that much either haha, so I understand. But that's how I have that album.

Well it's a Google Earth shot of Paris, but I edited it quite a bit. The top left is the Arc de Triomphe & Champs-Elysees as you can see. :wacky:

1. Björk - Isobel (Post)

2. Andrew Bird - Effigy (Noble Beast)

3. Marissa Nadler - The Hole is Wide (Little Hells)

4. Other Lives - As I Lay My Head Down (Tamer Animals)

5. Fleet Foxes - English House (Sun Giant)

6. Laura Marling - Alpha Shallows (I Speak Because I Can)

7. The Rumour Said Fire - The Balcony (The Life and Death of a Male Body)

8. Deakin - Country Report (Keep Cassette)

9. Sufjan Stevens - Romulus (Michigan)

10. Wye Oak - Civilian (Civilian)

11. Bill Callahan - Baby's Breath (Apocalypse)

12. Gruff Rhys - Lonesome Words (Candylion)

13. Akron/Family - I'll Be on the Water (Akron/Family)

14. Lia Ices - Daphne (Grown Unknown)

15. Epo-555 - So Long Cowboy (Dexter Fox)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K4MH1J1E

:heart:

i was your mixtape maker, i'm happy you liked it, at least the first half of it.

i'm not so much into electronic kind of music that you seem to like more plus i don't remember we ever talked much as to know your musical tastes more clearly, so i mainly put there some electronic i heard and i liked in the last years on the first half, leaving the second half to other styles to try to make a more complete and interesting mix, i wish i did all electronic/ambient instead, cause had to left Mogwai and other similar bands off my original idea.

Tracklist is as follows:

artist - song - lenght - album

1 - antoine dufour - spiritual groove live - 3:54 - Sound Pictures

2 - Biffy clyro - the captain live - 4:06 - Revolutions Live at Wembley

3 - Bonobo - Kiara - 3:50 - Black Sands

4 - Bosques de mi mente - giesh - 2:45 - Colores

5 - Braids - Lemonade - 6:46 - Native Speaker

6 - Caribou - Lalibela - 2:25 - Swim

7 - Delorean - Simple Graces - 4:17 - Subiza

8 - Dntel - Caribbean blue - 2:47 - Enya Mixes

9 - Interpol - The Undoing - 5:11 - Interpol

10 - Jon Fratelli - Baby we'are all refugees - 2:38 - Psycho Jukebox

11 - Metric - Help i'm alive - 4:46 - Fantasies

12 - Okkervil river - wake and be fine - 3:25 - I am very far

13 - Radiohead - Lotus Flower - 5:00 - The king of limbs

14 - Art Brut - Lost Weekend - 4:21 - Brilliant! Tragic!

15 - Vampire Weekend - Horchata - 3:26 - Contra

Antoine is a very talented guitar player, so underrated in my opinion.

Biffy's track is my fave one.

Bonobo, i liked his works, finally decided to pick "Kiara" for the mixtape, cause that's my cousin's name.

Bosques de mi mente is a band i've been following for a while, he used to play more piano only, very mellow and in spanish, that track is from the last album which is so more experimental with the tracks playing backwards voices.

Braids, one of the best debut albums of the year imo.

Caribou after knowing you opened a thread saying he is a mathematician -i already knew it- i guess you like his music, thought i prefer his previous works more.

Delorean, they are also a bit electronic band, well Mendetz are more, but i guessed Delorean would be more known there -that's a spanish band.

Dntel, listened them while i digged into electronic music a year ago along with Bonobo, Tentremoller, Toro y Moi, Washed Out, M83 and some others more shoegaze bands. Enya Mixes was a nice surprise -my dad is a fan of Enya and uses to play her music often.

Interpol, what needs to be said about them?

Jon Fratelli, solo project of vocalist of The Fratellis and Codeine Velvet Club, i just wanted to add some contrast to the first half.

Metric, after like some months ago i saw that thread pretty active, i guessed you knew them, and also to add some female vocals to the mix.

Okkervil River, to add some 'indie', listened them recently, may the track is overplayed there or something, but as i don't follow any radio, is pretty new to me. My curiosity for the band happened when after i got into Shearwater i knew those bands were linked somehow.

Radiohead, everybody went nuts with the video, i meant to add The National Anthem as is my fave song from them.

Art Brut, another 'indie', but that one i was interested to listen them for the name/art reference.

Vampire Weekend, to add some festive ending for the mixtape and also to follow the Lemonade with an Horchata, very refreshing drinks for summer.

Download link:

http://www.zshare.net/download/934693554942835d/

Thanks very much! I enjoyed the mix a lot. :nice: Gonna look a lot of these artists up now, I think.

Ok so here's my mixtape review, sorry for the delay.

If Music be the food of love, play on.

So I played on, keeping on mind this Shakespeare quote that names the album and that has its original cover as the album art for all the songs. Also the title of the 18 tracks form the phrase For Every Moment there is a song you just have to find the one that best defines it (yup these are 18 words).

Track 1: It begins with a clean finger picked guitar, it's a relaxed and beautiful song, with some fateful strings and brass fills and refined and jazzy drumming and rythmic piano that enter the song at about 1:00. The male singer has a mellow but melancholic voice. Lyrics make references to being lonely and broken hearts. I really enjoyed this song that ends with a solo that's just in the same mood, a killer song and like a prologue. This song is just like preparing you for what's next, despite its downheartdness it leaves you with the sensation that something else is coming.

Track 2: The upbeat drumming and bass makes me think that like wow the mixtape's already started, a dude with a voice a little bit similar to that of Paul Banks from Interpol. Then the synthetisers come in in what seems to be the chorus, the first of them is instrumental the rest is sung, but now in falsetto. I found the childish vocals and the 80's pop tone and melody of the synthesizers to be really annoying. I hated this song, sorry, I'm already missing the first one. I'm waiting still for the depart from mellowness, although it's too early to judge.

Track 3: I can't understand well the lyrics, but it has some lines like "i've got someone she's a little bit something for you". Uhm, love, moving on. The vocals either have an effect or are sung by two different guys, the song again is upbeat and poppish. It's good and mellow. But still, no musical climax.

Track 4: Beggining with electric guitars and a fast tingling piano, the rythmic guitar that actually kind of palm mutes some singular notes (crappy computer speakers, I can't hear the bass). At the chorus it finally seems to reach a change from softness but still I don't like much the dude's voice.

Track 5: With a britpop tone, a mix between 1920's piano and 90's britpop guitars and vocals, interesting song.

Track 6: Again this friendly piano with a tone you'd hear from a music box, this song is not challenging or remarkable at all nor shines from its brilliant mellowness like the first one.

Track 7: Clapping and drumming, not much of my cup of tea, it's just another friendly pop song.

Track 8: Again this kind guitars and synths, with forgettable melodies and vocals.

Track 9: Dancy guitars, electric drums and piano, kind of a retro disco song. Again weak vocals and tone in general.

Track 10: Good drumming and dreamy delay guitars, But then again the vocals are way too soft, too dull and immature.

Track 11: Happy sytnhs and such. Some distortion would help?

Track 12: A good beggining, energetic song touching a more standard rock sound, instead of easy-listening. Then the songs turns pop again with yet another extremely clear and spineless voice.

Track 13: Electro-soft-pop. Uhm this is not my style at all sorry.

Track 14: The songs keep on the same mood, while I was waiting for the music to explote, to risk, to reach a climax, they just keep being shy and of puerile happiness.

Track 15: Sorry but I just can't say anything good about these songs.

Track 16: More of the same, this one is semi-sung, rythm guitars are good but then are lost between the voice and the happy mood of the song.

Track 17: This one is an almost instrumental electronic pop song, I don't like it's just innocently cheerful.

Track 18: An upbeat electronic song, but I do like this one, it do takes advantages from it mellowness and at the same time it's dancy. It's a song that is more defined, unlike the others, this song flows well because it has a direction to follow, that of a happy, house and dancy song. A good way to (finally) end the mixtape.

To be honest I didn't enjoy my mixtape, the songs don't seem to fit for that "every moment" statement, I think they did not risk enough, the artists did not do what's necessary, I'd say they're just there with a pusillanimous and ordinary happy mood. The songs did not explote at epicness or intensity, neither were peaceful gems or flowed between their mellowness. I listened to it 4 times and tried to appreciate it but I couldn't, sorry but it's just not my taste at all. I found the songs to be immature, indifferent and ungraceful. Just like a group of clumsy teenagers that have no idea what are doing here and that can hold monotonous 3 minutes and a half long conversations. But I do appreciate the time you took doing it,the cohesion of the songs themselves and of course the details like the artwork and I'd really like to hear more about songs #1 and #18, maybe you'd like to reveal the tracklist and the link of your mixtape so you can share it with people that have kindred tastes with you :nice: And of course thanks a lot for the mixtape!

PS: I just decided to add the link of the mixtape so you can give it a try

http://www.mediafire.com/?z5r59ra72560i8l

That's one badass tape. I love the inclusion of Razorlight, Late of the Pier, The Drums... Heck everything. What a mixtape!

@Christina: I'm surprised you didn't know Late of The Pier, it's only like one of Dom's favourite bands. And Metronomy's newer album is way different to teh older one, less high pitched, really good... And that's Razorlights' best album, so if you didn't like that... Welll.

Haha thanks! You have great taste ;).

Hey mixtape maker , thanks for taking time to put all these songs together! Here’s my review, which sucks but sorry I’m not good reviewing things :P

1. Slow song, I’ve never heard it before. Not the kind of stuff I’m currently listening to but it’s not bad. I wonder if the rest of the mixtape will be so calmed :P 5/10

2. Sounds like Foals, not sure if it’s them, maybe not :P I like it, it’s catchy 7/10

3. This sounds so british :lol: I like it, I’m in a upbeat music mood so it’s great :D 9/10

4. Ohhh nice start, it gets a bit repetitive but it’s cool 7/10

5. Sorry I don’t like this, the voice is boring and I’m very sleepy now so this is not helping me D: 3/10

6. The start sounds familiar… Passion Pit? Not sure but I like this song. 9/10

7. Oh this is different! A bit folky, not a fan of the voice at the start of the but the music is good. Nice song. 7/10

I wonder if you stalked me a bit because this is not the music I listen to haha but it’s the kind of bands I’d listen to anyway. I just know a few passion pit songs for example

8. Another slow song, ok not a fan of this  it’s so… normal I don’t know how to explain it.

9. Different song again, good start, I can barely understand what he’s singing but it’s ok I guess. 5/10

10. Oh I want to dance! Haha don’t know this but it’s great, I really like this track 9/10 one of my favorite tracks

11. Beirut! Santa Fe :D I love Beirut and this song is pretty good :D 10/10

12. Gobbledigook! Another great track, how I miss sigur rós  9/10

13. Oh this is good, don’t know who it is but it’s cool 7/10

14. Ohh this is fun! 8/10 for sure. Another new song and I want to dance in my room now

15. Grizzly Bear! Two Weeks. This is such a lovely song 9/10

16. New song! Such a summer song and very catchy, great one! 9/10

17. This is ok. Sounds a bit like Death Cab For Cutie, 6/10

Overall this is a nice mixtape, I think the slow songs don’t fit that well but there are some very good songs in it so it’s all fine. My favorites were 14,3, 6, 16 and 10. Thanks a lot for this and sorry for my terrible review :P

Hi. I'm your mixtape maker. Sorry that you didn't like your tape very much. Normally I'd adapt a tape to your taste, however when you did that post earlier on into the thread I thought I'd do something different for this one. Sorry it didn't work, I didn't think it would be this dreadful an experience though. :cry:

Ok so here's my mixtape review, sorry for the delay.

If Music be the food of love, play on.

So I played on, keeping on mind this Shakespeare quote that names the album and that has its original cover as the album art for all the songs. Also the title of the 18 tracks form the phrase For Every Moment there is a song you just have to find the one that best defines it (yup these are 18 words).

Track 1: It begins with a clean finger picked guitar, it's a relaxed and beautiful song, with some fateful strings and brass fills and refined and jazzy drumming and rythmic piano that enter the song at about 1:00. The male singer has a mellow but melancholic voice. Lyrics make references to being lonely and broken hearts. I really enjoyed this song that ends with a solo that's just in the same mood, a killer song and like a prologue. This song is just like preparing you for what's next, despite its downheartdness it leaves you with the sensation that something else is coming.

This is Noah & The Whale- My Broken Heart. It comes from their second album which is the most underrated album ever (their first and third have been massive hits, this one not so much). The entire album is the ultimate break-up album.

Track 2: The upbeat drumming and bass makes me think that like wow the mixtape's already started, a dude with a voice a little bit similar to that of Paul Banks from Interpol. Then the synthetisers come in in what seems to be the chorus, the first of them is instrumental the rest is sung, but now in falsetto. I found the childish vocals and the 80's pop tone and melody of the synthesizers to be really annoying. I hated this song, sorry, I'm already missing the first one. I'm waiting still for the depart from mellowness, although it's too early to judge.

This is Corinne by Metronomy. I can sort of see the comparison to Interpol; but yes... If you don't like this then I very much doubt any Metronomy are for you. This is definitely their most cohesive album to date.

Track 3: I can't understand well the lyrics, but it has some lines like "i've got someone she's a little bit something for you". Uhm, love, moving on. The vocals either have an effect or are sung by two different guys, the song again is upbeat and poppish. It's good and mellow. But still, no musical climax.

I Am Arrows- Nun. I think it's only sung by one person, but then again I could be wrong.

Track 4: Beggining with electric guitars and a fast tingling piano, the rythmic guitar that actually kind of palm mutes some singular notes (crappy computer speakers, I can't hear the bass). At the chorus it finally seems to reach a change from softness but still I don't like much the dude's voice.

Wow. I did think you would like this one. It's Nightflying by Wolf Gang. I am a huge fan of the guy who does this (he's a multi-instrumentalist that does the entire thing himself) and is one of the hot tips for NME this year.

Track 5: With a britpop tone, a mix between 1920's piano and 90's britpop guitars and vocals, interesting song.

Saboteur by The Kooks. This song hasn't officially been released yet as its' off their forthcoming album 'Junk of the Heart'. But I saw them on their exclusive tour recently and knew this had to be on a mixtape at some point.

Track 6: Again this friendly piano with a tone you'd hear from a music box, this song is not challenging or remarkable at all nor shines from its brilliant mellowness like the first one.

Bombay Bicycle Club with Shuffle.

Track 7: Clapping and drumming, not much of my cup of tea, it's just another friendly pop song.

Foster the People- Houdini

Track 8: Again this kind guitars and synths, with forgettable melodies and vocals.

Apples- Theo. This song is actually from an unsigned band who I'm supporting through MMC so....

Track 9: Dancy guitars, electric drums and piano, kind of a retro disco song. Again weak vocals and tone in general.

Miami Horror- Holidays. I love Miami Horror so I'm afraid I majorly disagree on that front. They are one of the best Australian exports in a while and they are the nicest group of people around.

Track 10: Good drumming and dreamy delay guitars, But then again the vocals are way too soft, too dull and immature.

Fragrant- Dutch Uncles

Track 11: Happy sytnhs and such. Some distortion would help?

Egyptian Hip Hop- Moon Crooner. I really did think you might like this one too actually considering you like Delphic ect. Delphic is how I found Egyptian Hip Hop.

Track 12: A good beggining, energetic song touching a more standard rock sound, instead of easy-listening. Then the songs turns pop again with yet another extremely clear and spineless voice.

Late of the Pier- Broken. When I saw them get shot down on an earlier tape, I did expect this.

Track 13: Electro-soft-pop. Uhm this is not my style at all sorry.

Understandable. It took me a few tries myself, but then I like the rest of the music on the tape, so yeah.

Track 14: The songs keep on the same mood, while I was waiting for the music to explote, to risk, to reach a climax, they just keep being shy and of puerile happiness.

Ironically this is Holy Ghost! with Hold On. And they are the moodiest, grumpiest bunch going. They temper tantrumed before I saw them.

Track 15: Sorry but I just can't say anything good about these songs

Track 16: More of the same, this one is semi-sung, rythm guitars are good but then are lost between the voice and the happy mood of the song.

Track 17: This one is an almost instrumental electronic pop song, I don't like it's just innocently cheerful.

Track 18: An upbeat electronic song, but I do like this one, it do takes advantages from it mellowness and at the same time it's dancy. It's a song that is more defined, unlike the others, this song flows well because it has a direction to follow, that of a happy, house and dancy song. A good way to (finally) end the mixtape.

To be honest I didn't enjoy my mixtape, the songs don't seem to fit for that "every moment" statement, I think they did not risk enough, the artists did not do what's necessary, I'd say they're just there with a pusillanimous and ordinary happy mood. The songs did not explote at epicness or intensity, neither were peaceful gems or flowed between their mellowness. I listened to it 4 times and tried to appreciate it but I couldn't, sorry but it's just not my taste at all. I found the songs to be immature, indifferent and ungraceful. Just like a group of clumsy teenagers that have no idea what are doing here and that can hold monotonous 3 minutes and a half long conversations. But I do appreciate the time you took doing it,the cohesion of the songs themselves and of course the details like the artwork and I'd really like to hear more about songs #1 and #18, maybe you'd like to reveal the tracklist and the link of your mixtape so you can share it with people that have kindred tastes with you :nice: And of course thanks a lot for the mixtape!

PS: I just decided to add the link of the mixtape so you can give it a try

Basically, this has taught me a lesson. No matter how much people may say that they want a different mixtape. They actually don't. People do much prefer music engineered to their taste. So for getting it so wrong, I really am sorry.

Anyway, for other people, if they do want:

My Broken Heart- Noah & The Whale

Corinne- Metronomy

Nun- I Am Arrows

Nightflying- Wolf Gang

Saboteur- The Kooks

Shuffle- Bombay Bicycle Club

Houdini- Foster The People

Theo- Apples

Holidays- Miami Horror

Fragrant- Dutch Uncles

Moon Crooner- Egyptian Hip Hop

Broken- Late of the Pier

Jackson's Last Stand- Ou Est Le Swimming Pool

Hold On- Holy Ghost!

Pyramid- Nightbox

Starz in Their Eyes- Just Jack

The Way He Does- Shake Aletti

Household Goods- Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs

Well, here's my mixtape review (finally)! First of all, the album artwork - it's lovely :D Thanks! :)

1. Excellent song to start the mixtape; very upbeat, kinda indie folk/rock...and the singer has a nice voice as well :D I like this!

2. Hmm, can’t say I’m a huge fan of this one. The singer isn’t exactly what I would call overwhelmingly good. But the horn section is nice; redeems the song slightly :) It improves a bit at the end, but I certainly prefer Track 1 to this.

3. Can’t help but tap my feet to this one – the driving piano line behind it is cool. The techno sections of the song seem a bit out of place for me; I have to say I’m a little indifferent. Also a little bit too long for my liking.

4. The female vocalist sounds a little bit like Feist – it’s not, I know, but the voice is quite similar. And I don’t mind this one; the guitar part is catchy, if a little repetitive.

5. The guitar chords are amazing in this; beautiful jazz chords, which are very much underused and overlooked in a majority of modern music. I thought this one was wonderful – the guitar parts and vocals complement each other beautifully. The lyrics are good as well, though I can’t help noticing a lot of mentions to Jesus Christ ;D Oh, and I have to mention the last minute and a half of the song – it’s excellent. It goes brilliantly from very raw, mildly screamy vocals back to silence. And then, once you think it’s over, BAM another minute of music. I did really like this one though!  Sounds a little bit like Beach House, perhaps...?

6. I know I mention the guitar parts a lot, but they’re certainly prominent in the songs so far. And these guitars are sublime – I have a particular liking for the acoustic guitar, and the electric guitar is a good balance with it. I’m interested to hear who wrote this one.

7. The acoustic guitar came in and suddenly grabbed my interest. The moment the singer started singing, I knew exactly what this was. The Decemberists; Colin Meloy’s voice is unmistakeable. I haven’t heard this song before, but I’m guessing due to the lyrics it’s from their album ‘The Hazards of Love’. I’m going to guess that’s the name of the song as well. I loved this one – The Decemberists are always a pleasant surprise.

8. Hmm, can’t say I was hugely fond of this one. The singer’s falsetto was a little bit too distracting for my liking. It got a little better with the harmonies, but I don’t think this will go down as my favourite song on the mixtape.

9. This one was a bit better. The baritone vocals are quite soothing, and they work well with the guitars and drums. I’m again indifferent with this one; it’s nice, but nothing spectacular.

10. The piano part in this one is nice. And the guitars that come in 20 seconds or so through the song also work well. And the vocalist is reasonable. I can’t say I’m hugely overwhelmed by this one, but it’s a good listen nonetheless.

11. I liked the synth-like vocals at the beginning of this one. And the lead singer is good too. I much preferred this to some of the other tracks; I’m inquisitive as to whom the artist is...

12. Hmm, this one was alright, I suppose. The synth parts of the song were a little out of place, I thought, and for me the vocalist didn’t really match with the other instruments. When the male vocalist comes in, it does improve somewhat; the style of this song seems quite similar to Track 4. Hehe, the male vocalist also sounds a little bit like Gary Lightbody (of Snow Patrol) ;D

13. This one’s a really nice acoustic/pop number – a great way to end the mixtape. The vocalist is good, and the guitar part sets it off nicely.

Can I say that I've really enjoyed listening to this over the past few days, and I'm definitely looking forward to finding out the artist names of some of these songs :D Thank you mystery mixtape maker, and sorry it took me so damned long to do a review :)

I had preferred this actually to something familiar to me.

Hi. I'm your mixtape maker. Sorry that you didn't like your tape very much. Normally I'd adapt a tape to your taste, however when you did that post earlier on into the thread I thought I'd do something different for this one. Sorry it didn't work, I didn't think it would be this dreadful an experience though. :cry:

Basically, this has taught me a lesson. No matter how much people may say that they want a different mixtape. They actually don't. People do much prefer music engineered to their taste. So for getting it so wrong, I really am sorry.

Anyway, for other people, if they do want:

My Broken Heart- Noah & The Whale

Corinne- Metronomy

Nun- I Am Arrows

Nightflying- Wolf Gang

Saboteur- The Kooks

Shuffle- Bombay Bicycle Club

Houdini- Foster The People

Theo- Apples

Holidays- Miami Horror

Fragrant- Dutch Uncles

Moon Crooner- Egyptian Hip Hop

Broken- Late of the Pier

Jackson's Last Stand- Ou Est Le Swimming Pool

Hold On- Holy Ghost!

Pyramid- Nightbox

Starz in Their Eyes- Just Jack

The Way He Does- Shake Aletti

Household Goods- Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs

Sorry if I was a bit harsh, but it was also my fault for not being clear enough on what i wanted on my tape, but nevermind these things happen and these are the risks that you takr. Thanks anyway for the mixtape, i think what I liked the least were the vocals mainly, but i loved the first song and the last one. I will check those out for sure.

So many bands I would never have imagined to sound that good. :stunned: Thanks!

The Belle & Sebastian track is a real surpriser, I've listened to one of their albums and I didn't like it at all. :disappointed:

Belle & Sebastian have loads of albums I have yet to listen to, I really enjoyed Dear Catastrophe Waitress so I thought I would put one song of it on.

I am going to be hated now :uhoh::uhoh:

Um...mixtape maker? I am REALLY REALLY SORRY but I don't think I can do a review. :\ I have tried my hardest to be open-minded but the music on here is about the furthest you can get from what I normally listen to, I just find it unbearable! :embarrassed:

9 is OK I guess, I seriously thought 12 was a joke because I don't know how anyone can listen to that ugh :confused:

A lot of the songs are instrumentals (and 4 sounds like audio from a cartoon :confused:)But pervy rappers ( 8,15) are so NOT my thing. I'M SO SORRY I know this is about discovering different stuff but I would never listen to this ever again.

PLEASE DON'T HATE ME! :cry:

(I LIKE THE ARTWORK THOUGH)

Hey there, I was your partner!

Well, here's my mixtape review (finally)! First of all, the album artwork - it's lovely :D Thanks! :)

1. Excellent song to start the mixtape; very upbeat, kinda indie folk/rock...and the singer has a nice voice as well :D I like this!

Yay! Death CAb for Cutie is one of my favourite bands and this song is just wonderful, it's called Soul MEets Body. Saw them live last week and it was amazing.

2. Hmm, can’t say I’m a huge fan of this one. The singer isn’t exactly what I would call overwhelmingly good. But the horn section is nice; redeems the song slightly :) It improves a bit at the end, but I certainly prefer Track 1 to this.

Awwww I find this song overwehlming, I cry to it from the intensity often, but we're all different. It's called Guyamas Sonora from Beirut.

3. Can’t help but tap my feet to this one – the driving piano line behind it is cool. The techno sections of the song seem a bit out of place for me; I have to say I’m a little indifferent. Also a little bit too long for my liking.

Yeah it's long, I gotta agree, but Miike Snow is a band of dance/techno music sort of. =

4. The female vocalist sounds a little bit like Feist – it’s not, I know, but the voice is quite similar. And I don’t mind this one; the guitar part is catchy, if a little repetitive.

The xx - Crystalised. I took a chance with this one.

5. The guitar chords are amazing in this; beautiful jazz chords, which are very much underused and overlooked in a majority of modern music. I thought this one was wonderful – the guitar parts and vocals complement each other beautifully. The lyrics are good as well, though I can’t help noticing a lot of mentions to Jesus Christ ;D Oh, and I have to mention the last minute and a half of the song – it’s excellent. It goes brilliantly from very raw, mildly screamy vocals back to silence. And then, once you think it’s over, BAM another minute of music. I did really like this one though!  Sounds a little bit like Beach House, perhaps...?

Nope! Brand New! The song is called Jesus Christ, well spotted haha. Glad you like it, I absolutely love it.

6. I know I mention the guitar parts a lot, but they’re certainly prominent in the songs so far. And these guitars are sublime – I have a particular liking for the acoustic guitar, and the electric guitar is a good balance with it. I’m interested to hear who wrote this one.

Tegan and Sara! Canadian lesbian twins haha. Took a chance wsith this one too, I'm glad you like it.

7. The acoustic guitar came in and suddenly grabbed my interest. The moment the singer started singing, I knew exactly what this was. The Decemberists; Colin Meloy’s voice is unmistakeable. I haven’t heard this song before, but I’m guessing due to the lyrics it’s from their album ‘The Hazards of Love’. I’m going to guess that’s the name of the song as well. I loved this one – The Decemberists are always a pleasant surprise.

Yes, right on. This sogn is just beautiful. I discovered it through a mixtape someone made for me hehe.

8. Hmm, can’t say I was hugely fond of this one. The singer’s falsetto was a little bit too distracting for my liking. It got a little better with the harmonies, but I don’t think this will go down as my favourite song on the mixtape.

HOW DARE YOU :bigcry: Bon IVer is brilliant, okay??? Hahaha just kidding, well, he is brilliant, but I agree that he is not for everyone. It took me a while to really enjoy his voice too when I first got into him 3 years ago.

9. This one was a bit better. The baritone vocals are quite soothing, and they work well with the guitars and drums. I’m again indifferent with this one; it’s nice, but nothing spectacular.

I'm surprised that you didn't recognized Matt Berninger's voice, you had a few The National song in your last.fm library, just not this one. It'S called Conversation 16.

10. The piano part in this one is nice. And the guitars that come in 20 seconds or so through the song also work well. And the vocalist is reasonable. I can’t say I’m hugely overwhelmed by this one, but it’s a good listen nonetheless.

My favourite song by DCFC, the same band that plays the opener of the mixtape.

11. I liked the synth-like vocals at the beginning of this one. And the lead singer is good too. I much preferred this to some of the other tracks; I’m inquisitive as to whom the artist is...

Friendly Fires hehe. I honestly wonder how someone can not enjoy this song! It's called Jump in the Pool.

12. Hmm, this one was alright, I suppose. The synth parts of the song were a little out of place, I thought, and for me the vocalist didn’t really match with the other instruments. When the male vocalist comes in, it does improve somewhat; the style of this song seems quite similar to Track 4. Hehe, the male vocalist also sounds a little bit like Gary Lightbody (of Snow Patrol) ;D

Well Moby doesn't sing much in his songs, and often has female vocalist in them. I just love the guitar playing at the back with the piano notes.. it's just ugh. Sorry hahaha I just love it.

13. This one’s a really nice acoustic/pop number – a great way to end the mixtape. The vocalist is good, and the guitar part sets it off nicely.

THank you, I wish more people would get to know this band, they're called The Rumour Said Fire and I often use it as a mixtape outro. It's just great.

Can I say that I've really enjoyed listening to this over the past few days, and I'm definitely looking forward to finding out the artist names of some of these songs :D Thank you mystery mixtape maker, and sorry it took me so damned long to do a review :)

I'm glad you liked it in general! I took chances on a few songs and I wanted to add one more after I sent it to Violet, but I couldn't find a place to put it, it's called Battlships by I'm From Barcelona, if you wanna check it out: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RAm7sQdHb0]015 - I'm from Barcelona - Battleships - YouTube[/ame]

Tracklisting:

1. Soul Meets Body - Death Cab For Cutie

2. Guyamas Sonora - Beirut

3. Silvia - Miike Snow

4. Crystalised - The xx

5. Jesus Christ - Brand New

6. The Con - Tegan and Sara

7. The Hazards of Love 4 (The Drowned) - The Decemberists

8. Calgary - Bon Iver

9. Conversation 16 - The National

10. We Looked Like Giants - Death Cab For Cutie

11. Jump in the Pool - Friendly Fires

12. Dream About Me - Moby

13. The Balcony - The Rumour Said Fire

http://www.mediafire.com/?i0253d73hliqnlk

Hey, Lore, I made your mixtape! :wacko:

Hey mixtape maker , thanks for taking time to put all these songs together! Here’s my review, which sucks but sorry I’m not good reviewing things :P

1. Slow song, I’ve never heard it before. Not the kind of stuff I’m currently listening to but it’s not bad. I wonder if the rest of the mixtape will be so calmed :P 5/10

2. Sounds like Foals, not sure if it’s them, maybe not :P I like it, it’s catchy 7/10

3. This sounds so british :lol: I like it, I’m in a upbeat music mood so it’s great :D 9/10

4. Ohhh nice start, it gets a bit repetitive but it’s cool 7/10

5. Sorry I don’t like this, the voice is boring and I’m very sleepy now so this is not helping me D: 3/10

6. The start sounds familiar… Passion Pit? Not sure but I like this song. 9/10

7. Oh this is different! A bit folky, not a fan of the voice at the start of the but the music is good. Nice song. 7/10

I wonder if you stalked me a bit because this is not the music I listen to haha but it’s the kind of bands I’d listen to anyway. I just know a few passion pit songs for example

8. Another slow song, ok not a fan of this  it’s so… normal I don’t know how to explain it.

9. Different song again, good start, I can barely understand what he’s singing but it’s ok I guess. 5/10

10. Oh I want to dance! Haha don’t know this but it’s great, I really like this track 9/10 one of my favorite tracks

11. Beirut! Santa Fe :D I love Beirut and this song is pretty good :D 10/10

12. Gobbledigook! Another great track, how I miss sigur rós  9/10

13. Oh this is good, don’t know who it is but it’s cool 7/10

14. Ohh this is fun! 8/10 for sure. Another new song and I want to dance in my room now

15. Grizzly Bear! Two Weeks. This is such a lovely song 9/10

16. New song! Such a summer song and very catchy, great one! 9/10

17. This is ok. Sounds a bit like Death Cab For Cutie, 6/10

Overall this is a nice mixtape, I think the slow songs don’t fit that well but there are some very good songs in it so it’s all fine. My favorites were 14,3, 6, 16 and 10. Thanks a lot for this and sorry for my terrible review :P

Haha, I'm glad you liked most of it. :wacko: I'm not that great at putting mixtapes together for people. :sick: I wasn't sure about some of the slower songs, but uh, anyway, here's the track listing. :P

1. I Don't Know What I Can Save You From by Kings of Convenience

2. Atlantic Hearts by We're No Heroes

3. Techno Fan by The Wombats

4. Call It What You Want by Foster the People

5. Amor Fati by Washed Out

6. Moth's Wings by Passion Pit

7. I Got by Young the Giant

8. Me and the Moon by Something Corporate

9. Photojouranlist by Small Black

10. Sleep Alone by Two Door Cinema Club

11. Santa Fe by Beirut

12. Gobbledigook by Sigur Rós

13. After the Moment by Craft Spells

14. Holidays by Miami Horror

15. Two Weeks by Grizzly Bear

16. Hey Mama by Mat Kearney

17. Underneath the Sycamore by Death Cab for Cutie

http://www.mediafire.com/?516s4cdkt3ss8lq

:nice:

Hi mixtape maker, here is my review :)

Track 1 : This is an instrumental song. Just that woman who spells the word « ouverture » really slowly. That the perfect word to open a mixtape but I didn’t really like it. Maybe too repetitive and not enough rythmed.

Track 2 : After five listening of this tape I’m sure it’s LCD Soundsystem. I love this song and it’s stuck in my head since Tuesday. I like LCD Soundsystem but I never take the time to really listen. The title of this song is probably "Too Much Love" and I like the lyrics "What will you do when you wake up, fatten you up, fasten you up, fatten you up"

My favorite of the tape :awesome:

Track 3 : I don't like that song but I think it is Interpol? Unfortunatly I'm not fan of the voice of the singer. There are some band that seem really good but I don't like listen to them because of the voice of the singer (as Elbow, white lie or even Editors):\

Track 4 : Back to a song with a woman voice. I like this one. I already heard the singer voice but I can't find what band/singer it is. Not sure I'll listen to it after that exchange but I really enjoyed it on the tape. Perfect to dance in your room.

Track 5 : I'm not into instrumental, only when it comes from bands I know, because I already know their univers. But it's ok and fits well in the tape.

Track 6 : Again a really "upbeat" song (I suck at finding the good english word to describe songs). It probably contains 90's house and dance music riffs. There is also a saxophone (or something like that) at the end. I love it. I feel young again :laugh3: And as the LCD Soundsystem song it's stuck in my head.

Track 7 : I think it's Hot Chip ? I don't like that song as the previews one but it's Ok

Track 8 : No need to listen more than a few second to recognize Phoenix "lasso". I used to like them but I’ve been really disappointed by the last album. But it is still good to listen to that song.

Track 9 : I really feel I know that song but have some a sort of amnesia. It's quite unpleasant. Anyway I find it really good.

Track 10 : The Kills ! I used to listened to that song few years ago. And sometimes I like to put it in repeat in my car while I'm driving. I didn't listen to the last Kills album but I think I miss something really good.

Track 11 : Foals. Really long introduction. I like it. And the voice is so catchy. I just want to dance everytime I listen to that band. I saw them in live in 2009 and I didn't know who they were but I immediatly felt in love with their musics.

So I really enjoyed that tape. Rythme and a quite good mixte between femal and male voice. A lot of songs that I already heard but never really listen with attention. So thank you for putting them in the tape.

I just regret that there were no slower songs. I'm like an duracel/energizer bunny after listening to your mixtape :lol:

So thank you my mixtape maker :), it was a real pleasure to listen to that tape. I really want to know who is behind that tape because I have no idea who it can be. And I also want to know if I really found who sing some of those songs or if I'm completly wrong.

And as always I apologize for my not so good english.