✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The 10th Mixtape Exchange (Tapes due Mon., Aug. 8 @ 5 pm CST (GMT -6))

Violet

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Track 1. This one is fully instrumental. The electric guitars make it sound kind of spacy, but there's also this electronic/synthetic instrument playing the melody that sounds like it came straight from a video game. I like it a lot, it makes a nice first track.

Track 2. This starts with a steady drumbeat and electric guitars. I don't like the singer's voice a whole lot, but it's a pretty fun/danceable song.

Track 3. This one has a very summery feel. The singer is female and has kind of a childish voice. I'm pretty sure this is Cults, if not it sounds a lot like them. There are a lot of muffled voices in the background. Overall it's a pretty good song, the instrumentation is repetitive but I like it.

Track 4. This sounds extremely familiar. I think it's from 60s or 70s, sort of soul music I guess. It's not my favorite so far, but it fits in really well the rest of the songs in this mixtape.

Track 5. The guitar in the beginning is really pretty. It also has a nice beat, and I like the Celtic-sounding flute. I know this song, I don't remember what it's called, but it's one of the few Modest Mouse songs I've been familiar with. It's very dreamy, I think that's the best way to describe it. I like this one a lot.

Track 6. This starts out with a repetitive acoustic guitar and a xylophone. I like the singer's voice in this song. It's very mellow and quiet until halfway, and then the singer begins to sing louder and an octave higher and the song becomes a little tense. Then a woman begins singing, and then it goes back to the guy again. Wow, this is really good.

Track 7. This one has a lot of electro/synth sounds combined with electric guitars/bass/drums etc. It kind of sounds like an 80s song because of that, but I'm sure it's much more recent than that. It's not a terrible song, but the melody and the singer's voice doesn't do much for me.

Track 8. This is a piano-driven song sung by a female. Some drums and another singer come in after almost a minute. The singer's voice is really nice, and the vocal harmonies sound pretty.

Track 9. This starts out with a banjo and a guitar. Very folk sounding, which is perfect because I've been really into folk lately :awesome: I like the singer's voice a lot, and that the music has such a full sound with so many instruments and backup singers. Pretty great song with a nice build up.

Track 10. This is an acoustic version of Kids by MGMT. Don't know what more to say. I've heard Kids plenty of times, and the singer's voice kind of grates me. The guitar in this version is pretty soothing though.

Track 11. This has some pretty... interesting sounds in the beginning. Then this electronic tune comes in, and I was almost convinced this was an Owl City song. But then the singer comes in and it doesn't sound like Adam Young. The beats and melody gives this song sort of an African tribal-type sound. The lyrics are kind of silly, "Paper cups and lover's hiccups." I really liked this one a lot.

Track 12. This one has a very long, spacy intro with lots of synths, and I think I can hear someone singing faintly. Then it pauses and changes tempo. The drums seem to be getting faster and faster, but the synths are being dragged out longer and longer. Nice instrumental

Track 13. This one sounds very familiar, but I can't remember where I've heard it before. I like the sounds in the beginning. The song picks up tempo during the chorus, which is pretty catchy.

Track 14. This flows very nicely from the previous song, I must say. This song is perfect for summer, it's about taking a trip to the beach. I don't really like the part in the middle where she kind of talks. The humming in the beginning and end is really pretty though.

Track 15. This starts with an electric guitar and has a fast tempo. The singer has a nice, deep voice. He sounded a bit like one of the singers of Wild Beasts to me at first.

Track 16. This is another fast-tempo song. I like the brass section in this song. Don't care much for the singer's voice. Over all, it's a fun song with a nice chorus.

Over all, I think this mixtape flows very well and has a nice, mellow sound that feels perfect for summer. My favorite songs were 5, 6, 9, and 11. I can't wait to find out the tracklisting! Thanks so much mixtape maker, I enjoyed this a lot :nice:

Time for my review...

Track 1a&b: The song starts with narration from I Hercules the animated film (though I've never watched it). Definitely an interesting way to start off a mixtape. Not something I was expecting at all …haha!

Haha well I thought it might be fun to throw you off the scent, with some random Disney. It was never intended for the mixtape, but my friend told me to throw in some 'spice'.

Track 2: Song opens with some birds. It then breaks with drums, guitar and piano. The piano sounds pretty good. The vocals come in and aren't so bad, and they sound maybe a little familiar. The song reminds me sort of something that Coldplay or Muse or U2 might do, particuarly with the piano. The more I listen to this the more the vocals sound familiar. I like this song… it's pretty good!

Break The Spell, By All Mankind - They have started getting some air time on radio's in the UK, they hail from Australia.

Track 3: This track opens with guitars and heavy drums. The song then continues with some glockenspiel sounds and a hard driving bass. Then the vocals come in. They sound good. I like how this song is sounding it's different than I was expecting from the initial few seconds. To be honest the vocals remind me a little bit of MGMT.

S.D.P., By The Kissaway Trail- Yeah I can kind of see where you get the MGMT after listening to it with that in mind.

Track 4: Song opens with some autotuned and programing sounded piano. The song then really picks up with drums. The song is very catchy and makes you want to dance. The overall song is really catchy and the higher ranged vocals work well. The overall mix of the songs is really good because although it's upbeat it still has a spacey sound. One of my favorites so far.

Shuffle, By Bombay Bicycle Club - This just came out a couple weeks ago, and it has already made it's way to my 'summer mix', it has just as you said space and fun all mixed in one.

Track 5: The song opens with some mixed up sounding guitars. It then breaks into the song. The guitars sound pretty good. As the song progresses I like the sound more and more. Definitely a catchy song.

Bambi, By Tokyo Police Club- One of my Canadian Palls, told me about them, I'm not set on all of their songs, but I do enjoy this one.

Track 6: The song starts with electronic sounds. Sounds a bit like at first something from the 80's or 90's. Then comes more synths and drums. I actually kind of really like the overall sound and arrangement of this song and it's really catchy. The chorus is also really catchy and the harmonies are good! I really like this one a lot overall.

Life is Life, By Noah and the Whale- I'm really surprised you liked this, this was one of my potluck songs.

Track 7: Song opens with some guitars that have a tremolo effect to it. Then comes in more dancey beats and rhythms. In terms of vocals i'm not so sure if I like it. It reminds me a lot of Sufjan Stevens (perhaps it even is him). Actually during this other verse I really don't like the vocals. I think the arrangement of the instruments and also background vocals is really great, but the lead vocals throw me off. If the lead vocals were different this might be my favorite song so far.

So This Is Goodbye (Pink Ganter Remix), By William Fitzsimmon- Ah well you win some and you loose some. This guy is pretty interesting hailing from 2 blind parents. But yeah, this is supposedly his I hate you album after getting a divorce from his ex.

Track 8: I actually know this song! It's Land of Talk! The song is Quarry Hymns. I really like this song a lot. The acoustic version of this song they sing is really great. To my mixtape maker if you haven't seen it you should check it out!

Quarry Hymns, By Land Of Talk- Ah no I haven't heard the acoustic version! I must check it out!

Track 9: Song opens with acoustic guitar. The harmonies are really nice. And just from it I can tell this is a cover of Arcade Fire's Wake Up. The vocals are pretty good and work well. I like this really stripped down cover and also the bass drum almost sounding like canon fire as if this song was being played during a war scene in a movie or something. Really good cover!

Wake Up (Cover), By Jonathan Jones- Glad you liked his version, I love the original and typically I do not like covers, so to hear his and like it is a miracle for me. Jonathan has been in a couple of bands that you may.. have heard off like: Waking Ashland, We Shoot the Moon.. eh they are so so bands.

Track 10: Song opens with acoustic guitar. From the vocals it sounds a lot like Hey Rosetta, though I'm not sure if it is the more I listen to it. But I do really like the vocals.

Home, By Mumford & Sons- hmm Hey Rosetta.. eh maybe a little.. anyways, this is a track from Mumford that they have been playing recently at their gigs, it's not an official track and nobody really knows the real name, but for now people are referring to it as 'Home'.

Track 11: The song opens with a nice electric guitar followed by an acoustic guitar. The song sounds good so far. Not sure I like the vocals though. The overall arrangement of the song and background vocals are good, but the lead vocals I can't get into.

The A Team, By Ed Sheeran- He is a new guy in England, just coming out and he is pretty young. Sorry you don't like the vocals.

Track 12: I recognize this song too! It's The National! I can't remember the song title but I really like this song a lot! just a great song!

Start A War, By The National- Haha yes love The National! They are brilliant! Glad you like this song.

Track 13: This song is extremely dancey from the get go. It makes you want to dance around, definitely works with a lot of the other songs on the mix, and is a good contrast to previous acoustic songs. Not sure if I'm a huge fan of the song. Like I enjoy it, but part of me things it might be a little to over the top.

Safe and Sound, By Capital Cities- haha yeah the intent was to bring you out of the slower acoustic songs, but I see your thought on it being a bit over the top.

Track 14: The song opens up with some really great and catchy drums. Then some chanting kind of sounds come in. I do really like the song so far. It then gets a bit heavy with guitars and bass. The vocals work pretty well with the songs. I really like this song a lot. The overall arrangement, feel, rhythm and song is great! I would say this is my favorite song of the mix.

True Loves, By Hooray For Earth- *sigh of relief* This was the one song I kept debating about putting on the mixtape, none of roommates care for this song, but I really like it! So I am chuffed that you enjoy it! If you have head of the website Daytrotter, they did a session and they have some great stuff to listen to!

Track 15: The song with guitars. The vocals come in with the melody and I know this song. I don't remember who it is, but I've heard this song before.

Closing Time, By Semisonic- This was my 'classic' song to throw on the tape. It was pretty popular in the late 90's.

Track 16: We get to the final track of the mix. It opens with talking from Inception. The mix sort of starts how it ends by using talking from movies. I then breaks into piano. And from there it's some strings that are added. i really like this so far. Then some synths come in and then the song comes more of a dance song. It's a really interesting song and I really like it… definitely one of the highlights.

Time (Inception), By (We Plants Are Happy Plants Remix) Hans Zimmer- I love remixes and when I heard this I was hooked! And I felt it would be a cool song to end the tape with.

Overall I really like this mixtape quite a bit. I found it was a good variety of electronic/dance, acoustic/folk, singer-songwriter and also some strings/classical. Besides the first song (both parts) I enjoyed every track on this. There were parts in some songs that I wasn't a huge fan of, but other things made up for it. Still it was a really good mix and I'm interested to find out about tracks 2, 4, 6, 14 and 16. My favorite was definitely track 14.

Well done mixtape maker! :thumbsup:

Seriously I am so happy you liked the tape, I know you really like Radiohead, and I wasn't sure what else. So I was so concerned I would be making a tape full of stuff you hated so to get this review is brilliant!

For those who want to download it here is the link: http://www.mediafire.com/?cgx64kol36szz

Break The Spell All Mankind

S.D.P. The Kissaway Trail

Shuffle Bombay Bicycle Club

Bambi Tokyo Police Club

Life is Life Noah and the Whale

So This Is Goodbye (Pink Ganter Remix) William Fitzsimmon

Quarry Hymns Land Of Talk

Wake Up (Cover) Jonathan Jones

Home Mumford & Sons

The A Team Ed Sheeran

Start A War The National

Safe and Sound Capital Cities

True Loves Hooray For Earth

Closing Time Semisonic

Time (Inception) (We Plants Are Happy Plants Remix) Hans Zimmer

For the person who made my tape, I have given it a listen already, and I will listen to it a couple more times and then write my review, look for it tomorrow!

If you don't have a tape, it's because you've either already talked to me about a malfunction in the link I gave you, or you don't have one. I'm still waiting on three tapes. One will hopefully be in by tonight. As for the other two, I've PMed them, and I'm waiting for a response. Thank you all for being so patient.

Bad luck, I'll wait patiently... :cry:

^ Yeah, I'm sorry about that. :\

ETA: Hey mixtaper, I know I told you I'd listen to it, but stuff kinda popped up (family issues...UGH), so I've only kinda skimmed it. I'll take my time with it tomorrow. I promise.

My review. I'm sorry I didn't really like it :( Just not my thing.

1. pretty nice. Reminds me of that one Owl City song oh hahahahhahahah yep this is owl city! It's alright. piaanooo.

2. I recognise this. Dunno where from. It's alright ,yeah. Indie rock. Not something I enjoy anymore :P

3. nope, don't like it one bit, sorry. OneRepublic, yes?

4. This is interesting. I like it so far. Seems very Beatles influenced, but i guess everything is?? dunno. I like this...i think.

5. Nice piano again. hmm yep just got ruined by generic guitar + piano + female vocalist ballad. Ah...i hate this! yep getting worse! sorry!

6. i hate rock music wooow. I really am sorry, but this just isn't the kind of thing I like anymore.

7. wouldn't play on VLC for me. weird. But yeah, same thing as before. Not the kind of thing I like. At all...sorry!!

8. Did this sample the social network soundtrack??? oh yeah I know this. Beyonce. From the new album. It's alright...better when the beat comes in. I didn't really like the album all that much. Too many ballads!

9. I liked it before the vocals came in :P turned into another standard rock song. arrggh.

10. Death Cab For Cutie? i doooont liiiiikeee iittttttt

11. Hmm I've heard this before. Trying to think of who it is...Keane? I probably would have loved it 2-3 years ago.

12. lol r&b ballads

13. roooockkk baaalaaaaaad. A bit more interesting than the others, though.

14. this is.............awful..................................................I AM SO SORRY

15. arghgh, im sorry :( I hate this kind of music.

REALLY SORRY. It's not the kind of music I'm interested in anymore :(

Thank you for taking the time to make it for me though! Post the link when you reply to this. I'm sure there are some people on this forum who would love it.

My review. I'm sorry I didn't really like it :( Just not my thing.

1. pretty nice. Reminds me of that one Owl City song oh hahahahhahahah yep this is owl city! It's alright. piaanooo.

2. I recognise this. Dunno where from. It's alright ,yeah. Indie rock. Not something I enjoy anymore :P

3. nope, don't like it one bit, sorry. OneRepublic, yes?

4. This is interesting. I like it so far. Seems very Beatles influenced, but i guess everything is?? dunno. I like this...i think.

5. Nice piano again. hmm yep just got ruined by generic guitar + piano + female vocalist ballad. Ah...i hate this! yep getting worse! sorry!

6. i hate rock music wooow. I really am sorry, but this just isn't the kind of thing I like anymore.

7. wouldn't play on VLC for me. weird. But yeah, same thing as before. Not the kind of thing I like. At all...sorry!!

8. Did this sample the social network soundtrack??? oh yeah I know this. Beyonce. From the new album. It's alright...better when the beat comes in. I didn't really like the album all that much. Too many ballads!

9. I liked it before the vocals came in :P turned into another standard rock song. arrggh.

10. Death Cab For Cutie? i doooont liiiiikeee iittttttt

11. Hmm I've heard this before. Trying to think of who it is...Keane? I probably would have loved it 2-3 years ago.

12. lol r&b ballads

13. roooockkk baaalaaaaaad. A bit more interesting than the others, though.

14. this is.............awful..................................................I AM SO SORRY

15. arghgh, im sorry :( I hate this kind of music.

REALLY SORRY. It's not the kind of music I'm interested in anymore :(

Thank you for taking the time to make it for me though! Post the link when you reply to this. I'm sure there are some people on this forum who would love it.

Hi, I made the mixtape.... I’m feel so bad for your disappointment. I'm sorry. But thanks for listening to my mixtape.

1. This Is The Future by Owl City

2. Fader by Temper Trap

3. Secrets by OneRepublic

4. Brighter Than Sunshine by Aqualung

5. When You’re Gone by Avril Lavigne

6. This Is Love by The Script

7. Love Left To Lose by Sons of Sylvia

8. I Was Here by Beyonce

9. If There’s Rocket Tie Me To It by Snow Patrol

10. Codes and Keys by Death Cab For Cutie

11. A Bad Dream by Keane

12. How It Feels To Fly by Alicia Keys

13. State of Our Affairs by Mt. Desolation

14. Wei Yi (One and Only) by Wang Leehom

15. All This Time by OneRepublic

http://www.mediafire.com/?4bzqo1hncm1dtx8

I like the title of the mixtape. “Great Big Sky, Down to the Ground”… I’m curious what it means.

1. Beginning has a slow guitar melody, it‘s pretty. Great start for the mixtape. I like the strong beat of the drums, even though the song still maintains to be calm/relaxing.

2. Male singer and female singer, it sounds like Arcade Fire? I don’t remember hearing this song though. I like how there’s an energetic/upbeat drums and guitar while the violin and harmonica/bell ring gives it softer side to it too.

3. The beginning guitar melody sounds like a slow version of Beatles’ “So Happy Together” song, but it’s not.. I hear people’s echoing or “ooing“. It’s a two men duo… Near the end of the song, I wonder where they recorded this song. Because their voices echo as if they’re in a tall roofed building.

4. The female singer sounds familiar, don’t remember her name though . Sounds like a group of choir “awing”. Guitar with bell ring. It’s okay.

5. Sounds like a bit like a country song. Not my favorite, but the lyrics are kind of catchy.

6. I didn’t like this song on my first listen. But after my second listen, the song sounds pretty sad.

7. I like the guy’s voice. I think this song is Spanish.( If I’m wrong, please forgive me. I don‘t know any better). I like songs in different languages even when I don’t know what‘s the meaning. I just like to hear the emotions and great melody.. The song has energetic drum rhythm and I just love the guitar and drums in this song especially at the end climax it’s really pretty.

8. The piano playing is really pretty. And the piano too. I love any song with violin or cello. The piano playing itself is great, has a pretty melody. This is definitely my favorite song on your mixtape so far.

9. The piano gives a mysterious/suspense sound. The female’s voice is very..haunting…. I love the drums/electric guitar mid way of the song, gives it a very energetic and thrilling sound. Really interesting track.

10. This song really fits well after track nine. It has that similar mysterious sound but still beautiful. The guy’s voice kind of reminds me of Aqualung. And a violin? There’s also an echo/wind kind of sound, really unique track.

11. “Great Big Sky, Down to the Ground”.. really calm song.

12. I like the guitar and drums in this song, really energetic. “every occasion is a funeral” I don’t really understand the lyrics. But I like melody of the song. Great last track of the mixtape, doesn’t even feel like a last track because I want to hear more songs from you.

I really enjoyed your mixtape. I didn’t recognize any of the songs, which is a great opportunity for my iTunes library to keep growing... I love how all of the songs connected to each other. Even if I shuffle the songs they compliment each other. I can tell you put a lot of work and effort to this mixtape. You did an amazing job… While I was listening to this mixtape, I felt as if I was taking a very laid back road trip or adventure by myself. Just really pretty songs I felt like I was..flying. Thank you for making this beautiful mixtape for me.. I’m excited to find out who are these great artists you put on your mixtape! J

My favorite tracks are: 6, 7, 8, 12

I suck at reviewing. So just warning my mixtape maker

Track 1-

Track 2-Very chill, his voice reminds me of Oasis. It's great.

Track 3-"she's so sweet, I don't know anything about her" that line stuck out.

Track 4-Ahhhh something a bit faster. But still chill, I love it. Love the drums in this track. Kinda reminds me of Oasis too! I like it a lot!

Track 5-Not really my cup of tea, but not bad.

Track 6-Very Indie, British indie sounding.

Track 7-It's ok

Track 8-I know this! Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová ! Love his music. Eddie, did you make this? Great choice!

Track 9-The Piano part sticks out. I love it

Track 10-Regina Spektor, another excellent choice! Love her music

Track 11-Regina again! Can never have too much of her!

Track 12-Reminds me of Jason Miraz who however his name is spelled. It's ok

Track 13-It's ok.

Track 14-Catchy, good stuff

Track 15- Reminds me of Two Gallants

Track 16-I like his voice...haha reminds me of Oasis again at first. Something about me and Oasis this morning...

to my mixtape maker, well done i really love pretty much everything about it. I listened to it last night but after like track 10 to 18 i fell asleep, it's just so relaxing and at times beautiful. I'll have a proper review up later on but thank you again. Also well done on the artwork, it adds more of a personal touch to it and the name is awesome too :D

Wow, some tapes seem to be awesome :wacky:

To my mixtape maker: I received mine but as I'm at work right now and won't be back until tomorrow morning I can't even listen to it :(

I'll try to review it tomorrow if I'm not too exhausted or, at worst, on Friday...

Anyway, can't wait :D

This got like 4 copyright notifications :laugh3:

First Reactions and Impressions :P

‪Coldplaying Mix Tape Review‬‏ - YouTube

Verdict:

I love this mix tape!

A lot of guitar, upbeat rhythms, I'm a string freak :D

I love tracks:

Thanks to who ever made this mix tape: it was AWESOME!!!!

It was me who made it! Glad you liked it, the video review was very entertaining! :D

Anyway...here is the tracklist:

1) 9/15ths- Biffy Clyro

2) Planetary (GO!)- My Chemical Romance

3) I Can Talk- Two Door Cinema Club

4) Cough Syrup- Young The Giant

5) Pumped Up Kicks- Foster The People

6) Unfinished Business- White Lies

7) Friday is Forever- We The Kings

8) Is This It- The Strokes

9) Fairytale Lullaby- Bombay Bicycle Club

10) The Importance Of Being Idle- Oasis

11) Weirdos- Will & The People

12) What Is Light? Where Is Laughter?- Twin Atlantic

13) Myxomatosis (Judge, Jury & Executioner)- Radiohead

14) You Only Disappear- Tom McRae

15) Norgaard- The Vaccines

16) Seaside- The Kooks

17) Lies- Fenech-Soler

18) Perth- Bon Iver

19) Dust Bowl Dance- Mumford & Sons

DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/?8zp64advq72o5x8

:)

^ 9/15ths & Myxomatosis ftw! :D

Mixtape maker: I haven't had a listen yet because I have a bit of a headache and I don't think it'll help listening to rap :(

I will tomorrow though!

Atm I need something soothing like the tape Sofia made for me ;)

It was me who made it! Glad you liked it, the video review was very entertaining! :D

Anyway...here is the tracklist:

1) 9/15ths- Biffy Clyro

2) Planetary (GO!)- My Chemical Romance

3) I Can Talk- Two Door Cinema Club

4) Cough Syrup- Young The Giant

5) Pumped Up Kicks- Foster The People

6) Unfinished Business- White Lies

7) Friday is Forever- We The Kings

8) Is This It- The Strokes

9) Fairytale Lullaby- Bombay Bicycle Club

10) The Importance Of Being Idle- Oasis

11) Weirdos- Will & The People

12) What Is Light? Where Is Laughter?- Twin Atlantic

13) Myxomatosis (Judge, Jury & Executioner)- Radiohead

14) You Only Disappear- Tom McRae

15) Norgaard- The Vaccines

16) Seaside- The Kooks

17) Lies- Fenech-Soler

18) Perth- Bon Iver

19) Dust Bowl Dance- Mumford & Sons

DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/?8zp64advq72o5x8

:)

YOU have earned my respect!

:cheesy::hug: I suspected it was someone from the Muse thread! haha

I didn't recognize The Black Keys and Gorillaz, and I like them a lot :surprised: The tracklist is so cool :awesome: I loved the Muse touch to it! :lol:

:lol: The story that you stalked a handsome drummer is quite funny to imagine :D

I wasn't worried about the mixtape that I would receive, I'm worried about the one I sent :lol:

And don't worry about the info thing, I was telling you so next time you don't do the same :nice: But for me it was fine, I didn't mind...

Thanks. :hug:

Oh, it was hilarious! :lol: I think he noticed we were stalking him though, which made it very awkward. :| It's our inside joke now though. :lol:

Don't worry about it, this is a fun thing. :awesome:

Christina's mixtape is awesome

Thanks Lore! :wacky:

I can't stop listening to it! :D

I still listen to the mixtape I got from 2 exchanges ago. :surprised: :wacky:

Susanne Sundfør, Elbow, Fleet Foxes...Nice :awesome:

Thank you! :wacky:

And to my partner, I wasn't expecting this but I'm going to be busy noon to 8 today, so I'll definitely have the review up on Wednesday. :wacko: