✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Charlie Brown Music Videos (Live & Studio - both videos in first post)

isrlns

I reckon they should give Mat a break for a while. I mean, his videos are great, but 4 in a row is a bit too much. :\ They should make another one with Anton Corbijn, or heck, even someone completely new. I like all the MX era videos so far, but they definitely need to have a bit more variety in terms of directors. :)

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after a days consideration I realized what ruins it for me (the most) is the theft and vandalism of the car. Not that a car theft couldn't be used here, but please give me a better reason than getting to a party so everyone can dance and make out. Then the mindless vandalism - this does not seem to fall into the category of "making something ugly into something beautiful". I always thought Coldplay were a smart band, so for me it's disappointing to see them put out a video that feels rather dumb.

I was really hoping for an animated video, actually. Peanuts-ified Coldplay, anybody? :(

I think if there was more to the storyline, ie, more stuff along the vein of stealing the car and everything. That would've made the video much better. The fact that 99% of the song was colour-rave made the colour-rave aspect less powerful to me. Maybe if it hadn't started till the actual chorus, then it'd be better.

:nod:

Maybe not animated (or an animated vid as the second version) but cute, quirky, kinda like the Paradise video, with Peanuts references. :charlie2: :nice:

Let's face it - this song is NOT going to be the next I Gotta A Feeling / Party Rock Anthem. It's not gonna be played in clubs. Wrong audience. Fail. :sad:

I think we should all just forget about this release and hope that Coldplay redeem themselves with their next video. Which I assume now will be Hurts Like Heaven, or even dlibyh

Why would you assume that? I'm guessing the next video will be PoC with Rihanna in it so that wouldn't be much better than this.

Does anyone remember the origins of the 80's Icon Max Headroom? Before he became a commercial success it was an independant cult movie about an investigative reporter who was looking into the effects "blipverts" had on viewers......"blipverts" were commercials with such quick edits that when people watched them their nervous system couldn't handle it and they would die....I wondered while watching this video if Coldplay was working for Channel 23....I am thinking of another 80's video......THE REPLACEMENTS I think where the guy puts the song on the stereo and then sits down on the couch and the whole video is a close up of his arm...did they know back then that our attention span would be sacrificed for entertainment?....Coldplay are deeper artists then this blipvert commercial......they should go back to being intellectual artists that lead rather than mindless pop icons that follow

yeah agree, HLH won't be a single - imagine that sudden start as a single, don't think it would work - and I doubt DLIBYH will be either and if it is, then it won't be released till after PoC surely?

POC is obviously next. It's gonna be different I guess... More "desperate". Imagine the cheesy acting of Chris and Rihanna, all sad and remorseful. :disappointed:

But if HLH comes after that :fingersx: it's gonna be tricky. Should they do yet another colorful hyperactive thing a la ETIAW and CB or something different?

HLH evokes the same imagery as CB. Maybe they should just take it to the streets... Spray stuff on buildings, vandalize and kiss, kiss, kiss, kiss, kiss... :D

And is it that hard to stick a part of MX to the beginning of HLH, that's not the issue.

Well I thought about PoC but after the Charlie Brown video I don't know how they'll top it? IMO, they shoulda used this style of video for PoC. Now I don't even think they'll release PoC, it's too close to Charlie Brown

Yes, they'll release PoC, and make A LOT of money with it :dozey:

I hate how people are passing off this video as mainstream! Mainstream is not a genre. Mainstream is determined by both the record sales of an artist, and the artists popularity in a certain localities. Not to mention how opinion based "mainstream" is. What is mainstreaming a suburb in New Hampshire is completely different then what would be considered mainstream in an apartment complex in Japan. You can't just classify things under mainstream, it doesn't explain anything. Sorry for the rant, but there's just too much of this. Forum's starting to sound like NME....

hipsters....:P

I saw the video yesterday and my reaction was: 'mouais bof' which means that I'm not really keen on it. I'm a bit disappointed, I was excpeting something else. It's not the Coldplay video style to me. But it fits the lyrics of the song.

The video makes me think of the parties on the UK TV show 'Skins'.

Like others, I prefer the live video of the song!

Unlike others, 'Charlie Brown' is still one of my favourite of MX. The video didn't affect my feelings for the song!

So after a days consideration I realized what ruins it for me (the most) is the theft and vandalism of the car. Not that a car theft couldn't be used here, but please give me a better reason than getting to a party so everyone can dance and make out. Then the mindless vandalism - this does not seem to fall into the category of "making something ugly into something beautiful". I always thought Coldplay were a smart band, so for me it's disappointing to see them put out a video that feels rather dumb.

They do it cause they feel it's fun afterall they are young, young people do dumb stuff, I know that, I'm one of them. So, for me the album is really about being young and feeling free, in that context it's perfect.

The video makes me think of the parties on the UK TV show 'Skins'.

I hadn't thought about that, it could be part of a skins episode.....

Guest howyousawtheworld
I reckon they should give Mat a break for a while. I mean, his videos are great, but 4 in a row is a bit too much. :\ They should make another one with Anton Corbijn, or heck, even someone completely new. I like all the MX era videos so far, but they definitely need to have a bit more variety in terms of directors. :)

Anton Corbijn doesn't really like flashy colours and lasers so it would be wrong if he were to direct a video from this MX era I think. Mat Whitecross is quality enough though! Anything is better than Hype Williams.

They do it cause they feel it's fun afterall they are young, young people do dumb stuff, I know that, I'm one of them. So, for me the album is really about being young and feeling free, in that context it's perfect.

I hadn't thought about that, it could be part of a skins episode.....

"Young and feeling free" - well-said indeed :). The album conjures these words for me as well and the studio version of the video personifies this and the song well. It makes me smile...perhaps from an unexplainable sense of hope and escape that one may find in love.

It does have a very 'Skins' episode vibe...the notion of highly-charged, young love, finding escape together and with each other. The song itself and video also remind me of Rihanna's 'We Found Love' and its video..similar themes.

Regardless of whether it's been done already or not, I do love all the bright colours, even the underground club feel, and seeing the boys jump and play directly in and amongst the crowd - imagine if Chris ever turned up at a club with guitar in hand and did just that :stunned:?!...one can only dream :P

Given (or at least I think) that MX was intended to be heard as a collective piece in its entirety rather than as individual songs, I think CB's video fits into that collective formed by the other videos from MX. It's different enough but with some common motifs that make it a member of the MX family.

I hate how people are passing off this video as mainstream! Mainstream is not a genre. Mainstream is determined by both the record sales of an artist, and the artists popularity in a certain localities. Not to mention how opinion based "mainstream" is. What is mainstreaming a suburb in New Hampshire is completely different then what would be considered mainstream in an apartment complex in Japan. You can't just classify things under mainstream, it doesn't explain anything. Sorry for the rant, but there's just too much of this. Forum's starting to sound like NME....

You can't be a hipster and listen to Coldplay. :laugh3:

THANK YOU! :hug:

I hate when people say "I don't like them anymore because they are mainstream"

BUT WHAT DOES IT MEAN ?! :bomb: Would you prefer them to be not famous and popular at all ? Well if Yellow hadn't make a huge hit 12 years ago, and so make the band become popular (maybe not huge at the time, but at least quite popular), Coldplay might not be still existing today, is that what you want ? Is that what you want ? I don't think so, so try using another argument than just "mainstream" :angry:

Sorry about that :|

THANK YOU! :hug:

I hate when people say "I don't like them anymore because they are mainstream"

BUT WHAT DOES IT MEAN ?! :bomb: Would you prefer them to be not famous and popular at all ? Well if Yellow hadn't make a huge hit 12 years ago, and so make the band become popular (maybe not huge at the time, but at least quite popular), Coldplay might not be still existing today, is that what you want ? Is that what you want ? I don't think so, so try using another argument than just "mainstream" :angry:

Sorry about that :|

I completely agree! It bugs me that some people have completely turned their backs on the band because the new style is too "poppy". What does it matter if the music is more pop? There's no such thing as a bad genre, you can have bad rock and bad metal music as much as you can have bad pop. Compared to what's REALLY popular today, MX is auditory gold. Oh well, the world would be boring if everyone's opinions were the same, I guess :P

I completely agree! It bugs me that some people have completely turned their backs on the band because the new style is too "poppy". What does it matter if the music is more pop? There's no such thing as a bad genre, you can have bad rock and bad metal music as much as you can have bad pop. Compared to what's REALLY popular today, MX is auditory gold. Oh well, the world would be boring if everyone's opinions were the same, I guess :P

this