✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Charlie Brown Music Videos (Live & Studio - both videos in first post)

isrlns

I always wanted to make a graphic novel telling the story of Coldplay’s Mylo Xyloto, or at least the song “Charlie Brown,” my favorite Coldplay song ever. Now I don’t have to, because Coldplay and Mat Whitecross have done with celluloid what I only dreamed of doing in pen, pencil, and paper.

The music video perfectly captures my mental image of the rebellious, love-struck ravers Mylo and Xyloto (whoever did the casting had to have read my freaking mind or perhaps my sketchbooks) and casts Coldplay themselves as house band the Lost Boys (or at least that’s what I’ve always had in mind.) Everything is as I imagined it when hearing the entire album for the first time, condensed into one mini-masterpiece of a music video. The romance, the ravers, the neon orgy, the carjacking, the graffiti, the fireworks, the fucking Xylobands – I’m simply blown away. And happy. Very, very happy.

My favorite song by my favorite band is now my favorite music video.

Thank you Coldplay. Thank you so much.

:dazzled:

I also imagined the song to be exactly like the video..

I even imagined the kids at the Coldplay (Lost boys) concert wearing glow in the dark items, before the glowbands were ever given out..

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a boring music video. It seems to be just like any other pop related music video from the 90's to present. There's a party going on w/ the band w/ a side story. Also way too many quick cuts. And I'm not really a fan of the whole neon lights and whatnot, it just seems to me at least to appeal to a younger crowd by seeming all hip.

To me it almost feels like Coldplay is Benjamin Button in that they seem to be acting younger as they progress.

(but that's just my opinion)

I love the songs from MX a little more than VLVODAAHF, but the way they presented VLVODAAHF was much better...

I came to like the graffiti, the dub-step-like music, the duet with Rihanna, the animal costumes, but truly, the couple in Charlie Brown getting more intimate than needed.... wasn't needed....

I understood the video, basically about being young and crazy (reminded me of We Found Love by Rihanna). I just think somethings aren't and wont ever be a Coldplay thing. One thing that I thought would never be in a Coldplay video was raunchy things. Coldplay is suppose to be one of the few artists that show were suppose to show you don't need to show those things in order to be famous...

Not my favorite, but I'm not totally repulsed by it. I agree the first kiss was cute, but after awhile it was a bit much. The shots of the boys playing in the middle of the glow-in-the-dark crowd were cool though, so I basically sat there thinking "don't care, don't care, don't care...OOH Jonny's guitar is glowing! :awesome:" I MUCH prefer the live video, and it seems fitting that the song is AWESOME live, while mediocre in the studio version, and the live video is AWESOME, while the official video is mediocre, too.

I was kind of meh about it. ETIAW and Paradise were better by far by virtue of being more artistic (ETIAW) and more funny (Paradise). I think if it had more story and less rave-sex... Even though what they did with this video makes sense in the context of the song/album, it just comes off as excessive and unnecessary and too similar to We Found Love.

I always wanted to make a graphic novel telling the story of Coldplay’s Mylo Xyloto, or at least the song “Charlie Brown,” my favorite Coldplay song ever. Now I don’t have to, because Coldplay and Mat Whitecross have done with celluloid what I only dreamed of doing in pen, pencil, and paper.

The music video perfectly captures my mental image of the rebellious, love-struck ravers Mylo and Xyloto (whoever did the casting had to have read my freaking mind or perhaps my sketchbooks) and casts Coldplay themselves as house band the Lost Boys (or at least that’s what I’ve always had in mind.) Everything is as I imagined it when hearing the entire album for the first time, condensed into one mini-masterpiece of a music video. The romance, the ravers, the neon orgy, the carjacking, the graffiti, the fireworks, the fucking Xylobands – I’m simply blown away. And happy. Very, very happy.

...I honestly never thought of it that, Mylo and Xyloto as people and such. I like the way you took that. It makes me want to watch again and look at it in that way now.

My take: When the girl climbed out the window, I actually thought this was going to turn into some sort of awesome, dark, go-on-a-chase thriller type of story, mixed in with whatever was going on at Coldplay's color party (which looks like loads of fun and which I would love to be at). I kinda wish it had gone in that vein-like a girl escaping from the people and things in life holding her back or hurting her and (literally) going off to a brigher future ('cause that's what the song itself comes off as for me), to this party rave thingamabob. And I would've thrown in a Peanuts reference of some kind, damnit :p.

On the other hand, there's also a very romantic element to the song, so the romance in the video, with the people kissing (which doesn't bother me one bit, though I never thought of the argument made here about how common that is in videos now) and everyone all watching fireworks together at the end and leaning against each other all lovingly makes perfect sense, too.

Definitely, visually, as others have said, this is a feast for the eyes-I love the colors all over, the brightness, the party atmosphere at spots. I just might've altered the storyline a bit, is all.

But I do like the video nonetheless. It sure as hell makes more sense for the song/album concept than the video for "The Hardest Part" did for, well, anything (unless there is a point to that video I've completely missed).

Also, count me in that apparently small group that likes every aspect of Coldplay's career. The constant change they've gone through the last few years in particular interests me greatly, and I look forward to seeing what other directions they'll go in the future. I love the simplicity of Parachutes as much as I love the big world expansion of Viva La Vida or the sound-changing Mylo Xyloto. But then again, I'm like that with all my favorite bands, I've always had a hard time finding a preference for a certain sound or era or whatever.

But if this new sound isn't doing it for somebody, that's fine, too. To each their own :).

I was really hoping for an animated video, actually. Peanuts-ified Coldplay, anybody? :(

I think if there was more to the storyline, ie, more stuff along the vein of stealing the car and everything. That would've made the video much better. The fact that 99% of the song was colour-rave made the colour-rave aspect less powerful to me. Maybe if it hadn't started till the actual chorus, then it'd be better.

I was really hoping for an animated video, actually. Peanuts-ified Coldplay, anybody? :(

I think if there was more to the storyline, ie, more stuff along the vein of stealing the car and everything. That would've made the video much better. The fact that 99% of the song was colour-rave made the colour-rave aspect less powerful to me. Maybe if it hadn't started till the actual chorus, then it'd be better.

I agree. There was too much rave. It cheapened the video to me. It would have been more interesting seeing the characters meet the "lost boys" (gang) and go around tagging the city streets and maybe at the very end have the rave. Also, for a video that was supposed to feature the xylobands, they didn't show them very much. This video lacked the creativity of Paradise and Every Teardrop. Speaking of, didn't they already touch on the rave aspect enough in Teardrop? Why so much of it again?

Just saw it then.

Eh. I think it was a bit of a wasted opportunity. They went with the whole youth and rebellion theme and I don't think that really suits Coldplay/The song. I don't think it would have hurt to be a little more creative and perhaps more colourful and more cartoon like. Make the rebellion aspect more subtle - don't glorify some idiot who smashes a car window in, steals it, drives to some nightclub, goes in, has dry sex with his girl, graffiti the car and watch fireworks.

The song is amazing - I think it deserved a little more tact. I think the whole nightclub thing is a little contrived - especially from a band like Coldplay who are normally above that kind of stuff.

Didn't like it.

Oh well.

On a more random note, I'd like to see a video for HLH in the vein of Take on Me.

:nod: (to the second one especially-HELL, yes. That'd be awesome. Lord knows the song already sounds like something straight out of the mid-'80s, might as well go all the way with that)

I love the songs from MX a little more than VLVODAAHF, but the way they presented VLVODAAHF was much better...

I came to like the graffiti, the dub-step-like music, the duet with Rihanna, the animal costumes, but truly, the couple in Charlie Brown getting more intimate than needed.... wasn't needed....

I understood the video, basically about being young and crazy (reminded me of We Found Love by Rihanna). I just think somethings aren't and wont ever be a Coldplay thing. One thing that I thought would never be in a Coldplay video was raunchy things. Coldplay is suppose to be one of the few artists that show were suppose to show you don't need to show those things in order to be famous...

I'm agree :cry:

Seriously, don't get why people are upset with the kissing. Imagine if boobs made an appearance.:lol: What if it was filmed in the church. What if the Peanuts gang made an appearance and others wanted smurfs instead. :lol: Have to admit, the song is so epic. Everyone was expecting so much. A full length feature film. In the end, it's this. The car kidz:laugh3: living life, having fun, dancing their asses off. Escaping, finding Coldplay. In a dreamy almost non real, very fast life flashing moments all nestled in colors. :awesome: :heart: :wacky:

So true. My ideal music videos are the ones where you just see the band performing live (with an awesome edit, like the live video for this song).

Exactly. This type of video is something you would see in a pop band's video.

That said, this if far from the worst video Coldplay has put out.

Just saw it then.

Eh. I think it was a bit of a wasted opportunity. They went with the whole youth and rebellion theme and I don't think that really suits Coldplay/The song. I don't think it would have hurt to be a little more creative and perhaps more colourful and more cartoon like. Make the rebellion aspect more subtle - don't glorify some idiot who smashes a car window in, steals it, drives to some nightclub, goes in, has dry sex with his girl, graffiti the car and watch fireworks.

The song is amazing - I think it deserved a little more tact. I think the whole nightclub thing is a little contrived - especially from a band like Coldplay who are normally above that kind of stuff.

Didn't like it.

Oh well.

:nod:

allislost.jpg

I just got a seizure from watching it, I didn't really like the cuts (too fast), and the shots (too many close-ups/zoom-ins), the story is predictable and too teenagers-focused-who-like-to-break-the-rules-to-be-cool for my liking, plus you see this kind of videos basically every minute on mtv, where people dance at a party (rave or whatever that must be).

As others have said the live version fits the song much better, because, as it was written in one of the reviews for the video, "this vid is almost the exact opposite of an actual Coldplay concert", seeing it, it gives me 1% of the energy of the song live.

Ugh, I'm just an old grumpy pants :disappointed: