✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay don't tour the UK enough?

RC34127

Something in the O2 thread (the comment about the band only playing a single show in London in 2011) has got me riled up almost as much as the glaring setlist omissions.

Consider the third leg of the North American portion of the "Viva" tour in 2009...

West Palm Beach, Atlanta, Birmingham, Virginia Beach, Washington, Hartford, Hershey, Camden, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Detroit, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Nashville, New Orleans, San Antonio, Des Moines, Omaha, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Portland, George, San Francisco, Sacramento, San Diego, Carson, Irvine, Dallas, Houston, Maryland Heights, East Troy, Saratoga Springs, Toronto, Montreal (Osheaga), New Jersey (APW), Mansfield, Raleigh, Charlotte

I realise the UK is far smaller than the USA and Canada, but I think we are being shortchanged when it comes to the band touring their home country.

Surely the band should hit the following cities/arenas (whether in one leg or multiple legs it doesn't matter)

Aberdeen (AECC)

Belfast (Odyssey Arena)

Birmingham (NEC)

Cardiff (Millennium Stadium or Motorpoint Arena)

Glasgow (SECC)

Liverpool (Echo Arena)

London (O2 Arena or Earl's Court)

Manchester (MEN Arena)

Milton Keynes (MK Bowl)

Newcastle (Metro Radio Arena)

Nottingham (Capital FM Arena)

Sheffield (Hallam FM Arena)

And that is just the major arenas. 2nd tier arenas could include the likes of Braehead Arena (Glasgow), Ingliston RHS (Edinburgh), Pavilions (Plymouth), NIA (Birmingham) or other outdoor stadia/arenas...

Over the past three years, the guys have only played the following cities in the UK

Sheffield, Birmingham, Glasgow, Liverpool, Manchester, London, Belfast, Dublin, Liverpool (Crisis), Newcastle (Crisis), Glastonbury, T In the Park.

In 2012, unless there are more gigs announced, there are huge swathes of the country which are going to be missed out. Basically Sunderland is a new city, but London and Manchester get another chance. What about Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, other parts of England?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UK gave birth to Colplay, but they belong to the world now. We all want a piece of them. You should be proud of the way they're representing your country. Something's telling me they wouldn't be in such a demand if they never "broke" the US.

Sincerely, I'm interested to know if the Muse are in such a high demand as well? How many stadiums and arenas have they toured in the UK this year, or the last?

Coldplay are huge b/c the world made them so, and they know it.

Also, it'd be interesting to know the sales/album in both UK and US.

Guest howyousawtheworld

I don't think it matters whether these stadium venues have more tickets than an arena. Let's not forget they did over 20 dates for the Viva tour in the UK. That included doing Wembley and Hampden Park - two big national stadiums of the UK.

Secondly despite the availability of Edinburgh Castle as a venue these days I feel really short changed that the SECC may be the only Scottish date of the MX tour. U2, likewise did one Scottish date but at least it was at the biggest venue possible - Hampden park and not the tinny, stale SECC.

I don't think it matters whether these stadium venues have more tickets than an arena. Let's not forget they did over 20 dates for the Viva tour in the UK. That included doing Wembley and Hampden Park - two big national stadiums of the UK.

Secondly despite the availability of Edinburgh Castle as a venue these days I feel really short changed that the SECC may be the only Scottish date of the MX tour. U2, likewise did one Scottish date but at least it was at the biggest venue possible - Hampden park and not the tinny, stale SECC.

You also got T in the Park though...

It's a big world.

I'm just grateful they're coming to a city two hours away from where I live :)

I'm sure they're doing their best and going with the demand everywhere. And let's be honest, touring must be exhausting and breaks up bands all the time.

I'd rather see Coldplay once per tour than have no Coldplay at all! :)

Are you joking? I see the number of shows they're doing in the UK and I'm like huh, wish I could live there.

Like hux90 said, they come once a year to our country if we're lucky. If not, they come once every 3 YEAR. The last time we had them in Montreal was in 2009. What would you do?

Once every TOUR. Once every ALBUM. That's ridiculous.

You know, there's only 365 days in a year ... and a lot of places in the world for them to play at...

I swear I am not trying to flog a dead horse - in fact, other than respond to any interesting points that may or may not result from this post, I won't say anymore on this issue.

That said, consider Westlife's tour dates for 2012 in the UK and Ireland...

Mon May 14th 2012 - Metro Radio Arena, Newcastle Upon Tyne

Tue May 15th 2012 - Liverpool Echo Arena, Liverpool

Thu May 17th 2012 - Motorpoint Arena Cardiff, Cardiff

Fri May 18th 2012 - Motorpoint Arena Cardiff, Cardiff

Sat May 19th 2012 - Motorpoint Arena Sheffield, Sheffield

Sun May 20th 2012 - LG Arena Birmingham, Birmingham

Tue May 22nd 2012 - Capital FM Arena Nottingham, Nottingham

Wed May 23rd 2012 - The O2, London

Thu May 24th 2012 - The O2, London

Sat May 26th 2012 - MEN Arena Manchester, Manchester

Sun May 27th 2012 - SECC, Glasgow

Tue May 29th 2012 - Odyssey Arena, Belfast

Wed May 30th 2012 - Odyssey Arena, Belfast

Fri June 1st 2012 - Odyssey Arena, Belfast

Sat June 2nd 2012 - Odyssey Arena, Belfast

Mon June 4th 2012 - LG Arena Birmingham, Birmingham

Tue June 5th 2012 - Capital FM Arena Nottingham, Nottingham

Thu June 7th 2012 - The O2, London

Fri June 8th 2012 - LG Arena Birmingham, Birmingham

Sat June 9th 2012 - MEN Arena Manchester, Manchester

Mon June 11th 2012 - Motorpoint Arena Cardiff, Cardiff

Tue June 12th 2012 - Motorpoint Arena Sheffield, Sheffield

Wed June 13th 2012 - Liverpool Echo Arena, Liverpool

Fri June 15th 2012 - Metro Radio Arena, Newcastle Upon Tyne

Sat June 16th 2012 - SECC, Glasgow

Sun June 17th 2012 - SECC, Glasgow

Tue June 19th 2012 - SECC, Glasgow

Wed June 20th 2012 - Odyssey Arena, Belfast

Fri June 22nd 2012 - Croke Park, Dublin

Sat June 23rd 2012 - Croke Park, Dublin

Whilst I am not suggesting that Coldplay tour the UK for a month, this is illustrative of the fact that the UK and Ireland legs of the tour could be so so much longer. If Westlife can make a tour like that work financially, are you telling me the biggest band on the planet couldn't?

For all of those who have made replies in this thread, thank you - all of you have made good points (mainly on the other side of my argument, I must concede) - but wouldn't it be awesome if the band played such an extensive UK and Ireland tour (and not just three dates here, four dates there) - what if the Mylo Xyloto tour ends up (for the UK I mean) just

Glasgow

Manchester

London

London

Sunderland

Manchester

That is just FOUR cities, which is frankly rubbish. What could rub further salt into the wound would be if we only get the post-festival/album promo/Christmas cash in leg (Glasgow, Manchester, London) and the Summer stadium leg (London, Sunderland & Manchester) where for the the former, the "proper" MX show had not yet been devised/rehearsed (so we got a reheated version of the festival sets) and for the latter it was a "play it safe, greatest hits set". All the while the US and Canada are getting the "proper" show, with DLIBYH, Up With The Birds, Us Against The World, Princess of China, Lovers in Japan, Strawberry Swing, Life In Technicolor II, etc, etc.

You also got T in the Park though...

You can't really count T In The Park, though. Tickets sell out without any of the acts having been announced. Once Coldplay were announced, no-one could buy tickets at face value through official channels.

So even though it was a "second" Scottish gig, it was useless as all tickets had been long sold out and were only available on the black market at astronomical prices.

I wonder if Edinburgh Castle is on the agenda for 2012 (although it probably only holds around 3000 or 4000 in its Military Tattoo Configuration.

Much better would be to add Edinburgh (Murrayfield) to the London, Sunderland, Manchester leg or before the Copenhagen gig at the end of August.

Also, it would be CRIMINAL if neither Birmingham nor Belfast got any shows in the MX era.

I just have to think there are more UK shows which are yet to be announced. I honestly think the MX era tour started "proper" on December 3rd in Glasgow, but will continue throughout 2012 and well into 2013. Maybe the missing UK and Ireland cities will be accomodated in 2013? I mean, what about Ireland - no shows for Croke Park or the Aviva Stadium? Wasn't there a hotel website linking to travel packages for an Aviva Stadium gig which is - as yet - unconfirmed?

Are you joking? I see the number of shows they're doing in the UK and I'm like huh, wish I could live there.

Like hux90 said, they come once a year to our country if we're lucky. If not, they come once every 3 YEAR. The last time we had them in Montreal was in 2009. What would you do?

Once every TOUR. Once every ALBUM. That's ridiculous.

You know, there's only 365 days in a year ... and a lot of places in the world for them to play at...

Yeah, but your argument falls down with me on two counts...

1) The last time we had them in Glasgow (until two weeks ago) was also 2009 (and anyway, that wasn't because they were off touring elsewhere, they were writing and recording Mylo Xyloto)

2) Look at Canada's dates for 2012

Edmonton

Calgary

Vancouver

Vancouver

Toronto

Toronto

Montreal

Montreal

That is five cities (one more than has been announced for the UK - their home country, mind you) and the same number of shows as has been confirmed for the UK (seven).

When looking at the size of the two countries, the UK looks to be getting a great deal by getting the same number of shows as a much much larger territory. But then consider the population. If a market which has a population of approx 35 million can get 7 shows, why on earth is the market which has nearly DOUBLE the population (62 million) getting so few shows, distributed over fewer cities..

That's why I feel Scotland is getting hard done by, why Northern Ireland and Eire are getting completely screwed (as things stand) and large swathes of England and Wales are getting the short end of the stick also? Liverpool, Birmingham, Sheffield, Newcastle, Cardiff - are these cities not worthy of the guys' time?

I think the shows they do in the UK are pretty fair, they should add a few more maybe, which would obv make everyone happy, but still basically everyone has a chance to see them which is much more than, say, italian fans can say. And they have LOADS of fans here. I mean LOADS. They just announced one date here, in Turin, which is practically in France tbh, and in a much smaller venue than most. Not really a proper stadium, just 30000 people or so. Which would arleady be ridiculous, because most of the people practically have to travel as far as if they were going to another country (instead of having a gig in a central location, namely Rome, which they only played in 2003), but to add to that, at 10.00 AM all the tickets were already sold out, practically they never went on sale, because the people from the site have a mafia with the touts to whom they basically give huge quantities of tickets which you then have to buy from third party sites at FIVE TIMES more the price. Outrageous. And also 70% of the tickets for the whole stadium were soldout with the AMEX presale. Talk about unfair eh. All the fans were left with nothing.

In any case my point is not moaning, I just think that I think they really should have more dates in Europe in general, because I really don't see why they basically have a couple of dates everywhere in the US/Canada (as pointed out before), and not a couple of dates in every other country here (apart from Germany where they always have a shit load of dates).

Sorry for the rant, it's not against anyone and it's not a complaint about the North American dates, I'm very happy for you guys.

Completely agree OP.

It's a joke (and not a very good one!)

For Viva they went off and played the US for six months before even one gig at 'home' - but then we did get three in London.

This time they've been playing festivals around the world for almost the same amount of time and we get...one.

(It's different from Canada, the US or any other country, because they - mostly - live here. They can take the tube to play a gig!)

2) Look at Canada's dates for 2012

Edmonton

Calgary

Vancouver

Vancouver

Toronto

Toronto

Montreal

Montreal

That is five cities (one more than has been announced for the UK - their home country, mind you) and the same number of shows as has been confirmed for the UK (seven).

It is not even sufficient to meet everyone and every province in Canada. Two concerts in only one city in Quebec (Montreal) is not enough. Many people living in the province of Quebec, have no opportunity to come to Montreal because it's too far away. It is the same for all other provinces. Canada is vast and transportation systems are less effective. I think in Europe you have more opportunity to go see them in concert, no matter where the show is because you have a better transportation network. This is the first time since the beginning of their career that they will play two concerts in a row in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver.

p.s. Coldplay has not been on tour this summer in Canada. In Europe, yes. so.....

The problem is that Coldplay are too big in the UK for them to play smaller venues without the touts making a killing with tickets.

They're no bigger in the UK than they are in the States or many parts of Europe.

If they'd played three dates in London at the 02 like they did in '08 then the touts' profits would have been at least halved, plus a lot more of the fans who wanted to could have seen them.

There were no killings to be made on the three 02 show tickets in '08. For this one show this year standing tickets were going for £200+ EACH.

I don't see you point I'm afraid.

Are you serious? Coldplay has always and will always play a large amount of shows in the UK. It's actually almost hilarious that you could even make this thread, when some people (like me) have to go to a different country just to see them, or can't see them at all because the nearest show is 8 or more hours from where they live. Or even think about the people who live in countries that Coldplay still has never visited. I personally think they already favor the UK to other places, what more could you possibly want? A personal concert in your own backyard?

Are you serious? Coldplay has always and will always play a large amount of shows in the UK. It's actually almost hilarious that you could even make this thread, when some people (like me) have to go to a different country just to see them, or can't see them at all because the nearest show is 8 or more hours from where they live. Or even think about the people who live in countries that Coldplay still has never visited. I personally think they already favor the UK to other places, what more could you possibly want? A personal concert in your own backyard?

No backyard ridiculousness asked for, or required - I think more than one or two shows in London every two years would make us happy (seeing as they live here and everything).

<edit> This is not about any other country. We all understand there are countries they've never visited and countries they never will, and I am sure wish all those folks had a chance to see them too. This is about them neglecting the UK considering they live here, come from here, and it's not far for them to travel to play here. And, in those terms, I think three gigs in two years in London is a joke.

I completely agree with this. American and Canada are HUGE countries. As it is, people (like you Keddie) are having to travel for hours to get to a concert location. And we do it, because we know that they can't play in every single city in the US.

I live in Mexico, and Coldplay or other bands (if they actually do a latin america tour) will only go to 3 states and they´re really far away.

Just think about that. While you have 6 or 7 places that are sort of far away I can´t even get excited if they announce that they´re in Mexico, so I have to cross the damn border you ASS.