✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Muse Thread - Hate This & I'll Hate You

CountingDemons

And as a tie in to Coldplay:

Chris is always saying Coldplay is like the poor man's Radiohead, when in reality, I think Coldplay is more like the poor man's U2, and Muse is more like the poor man's Radiohead...

(not that I'm saying either band is a "poor man's" anything, I just wanted to make that tie in)

I don't agree with what you're saying, personally. I've never been a fan of U2. (Let's hope I don't anger any U2 fans that might be present in the thread.) As for Muse being a poor man's Radiohead, while they did have Radiohead comparisons thrown at them in the very beginning, I think it's safe to say that the comparison has since been dismissed.

Welcome to the Muse thread, BTW. We'll be glad to have you. :D

I also think they're great :D

And as a tie in to Coldplay:

Chris is always saying Coldplay is like the poor man's Radiohead, when in reality, I think Coldplay is more like the poor man's U2, and Muse is more like the poor man's Radiohead...

(not that I'm saying either band is a "poor man's" anything, I just wanted to make that tie in)

I sort of see what you mean... I agree that Coldplay are more similar to U2 than to Radiohead :nod: But I never got why everyone says Muse sound like Radiohead :\

They just don't!

I don't agree with what you're saying, personally. I've never been a fan of U2. (Let's hope I don't anger any U2 fans that might be present in the thread.) As for Muse being a poor man's Radiohead, while they did have Radiohead comparisons thrown at them in the very beginning, I think it's safe to say that the comparison has since been dismissed.

Welcome to the Muse thread, BTW. We'll be glad to have you. :D

Thanks :) I mostly threw it out there to stir up some debate really (though it is my honest opinion) Everyone is initialed to their own take on it.

Well, I was a fan of Muse long before I even knew Radiohead, so my opinion will surely be biased. I'm a person who loves both Muse and Radiohead in their own ways. Like SuperFitz mentioned, I don't see how they even sound alike. Thom's voice is much more mellow, and Matt's vocals have always been very powerful. Their articulations are different, too; I remember being baffled by how slurred Thom's words seemed when I first started listening to Radiohead.

Here's a Radiohead song called Pearly. Listen to 2:07 - 2:38.

Completely embodies Matt Bellamy's singing style.

Even so, the majority of Radiohead songs do not sound like Muse songs. And vice versa.

Well, I was a fan of Muse long before I even knew Radiohead, so my opinion will surely be biased. I'm a person who loves both Muse and Radiohead in their own ways. Like SuperFitz mentioned, I don't see how they even sound alike. Thom's voice is much more mellow, and Matt's vocals have always been very powerful. Their articulations are different, too; I remember being baffled by how slurred Thom's words seemed when I first started listening to Radiohead.

I was a Muse fan first. Loved them so much. Got into Radiohead almost accidentally - heard Nude on Radio 1 of all places, and was spellbound.

In the last few years, my love for Radiohead has ascended to my quite serious belief that they're the greatest band ever, better than the Beatles. My mate summed Muse up for me though when he said they've never released their masterpiece and they never will.

I love both bands, but whenever I hear someone compare them, I'm never particularly pissed off... Radiohead are one of those bands that it's acceptable to know nothing about, they almost prefer it that way. And the Muse/Radiohead comparisons? A helluva compliment to Matt Bellamy.

Ooh, hope my tickets come soo- oh wait.

:disappointed:

Aw, I'm sorry Kelly. :hug:

Ugh, why must people always compare Radiohead and Muse? I never have and never will understand the comparisons. (Before you say anything, I DO like Radiohead). They're two different bands with two very different styles.

Showbiz has many shades of Radiohead. I think I even said recently in this very thread that the main flaw of Showbiz is that it tries way too hard to be The Bends and OK Computer. Several songs on it sound like a crappy versions of "My Iron Lung". Starting at OoS, Muse forms their own identity, and they certainly don't sound like Radiohead at all in their recent work, but that first album has a huge influence present.

Showbiz has many shades of Radiohead. I think I even said recently in this very thread that the main flaw of Showbiz is that it tries way too hard to be The Bends and OK Computer. Several songs on it sound like a crappy versions of "My Iron Lung". Starting at OoS, Muse forms their own identity, and they certainly don't sound like Radiohead at all in their recent work, but that first album has a huge influence present.

Let's be fair-- all the magazines said the exact same thing when they first started out. I believe the quote in NME was: 'they'd win a sounding just like Radiohead competition judged by Radiohead and another band that sounded just like Radiohead'.

I think they first assumed an identity that would get them noticed and sold-- because they had massive troubles cracking the market in comparison to Coldplay (they played the same music showcase-- their show was empty, whilst Coldplay was massive). They went for something that made them similar enough to a band that already worked with a little flair.

Then after they had signed and had themselves an album that would sell enough to solidify their place on the label-- they moved for an identity. Because post Showbiz, it's not Radiohead.

Ugh, why must people always compare Radiohead and Muse? I never have and never will understand the comparisons. (Before you say anything, I DO like Radiohead). They're two different bands with two very different styles.

You like Radiohead? Didn't you say some time ago that "In Rainbows" made you want to fall asleep? Or was that Lore? :thinking: Ionno. It doesn't matter, really. I was under the impression, though, that there was at least a time when you didn't like them. Maybe I'm wrong.

You like Radiohead? Didn't you say some time ago that "In Rainbows" made you want to fall asleep? Or was that Lore? :thinking: Ionno. It doesn't matter, really. I was under the impression, though, that there was at least a time when you didn't like them. Maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah, that was me.

They'll never be my favorite band, but I do listen to them quite often now.

This weeks NME has a treasure trove of information about T2L! :awesome: It isn't released until tomorrow, but someone on .mu got it early and posted scans!!

Basic information:

- Supremacy is described as "swamp blues"

- Madness is a love song, and the next single

- Panic Station is 80s Prince-style with 'sex gasps' from Matt

- Survival works better in the context of the album

- Follow Me has Bing's heartbeat in it

- Animals is flamenco and has lyrics about bankers killing themselves

- Explorers is "choral pop" about dying crops

- Save Me and Liquid State are written by and sung by Chris and are about his drinking problem

- Big Freeze is described as a "stadium stomp"

- Unsustainable and Isolated System are "doom drenched operas full of news reports from the end of civilisation"

- Chris claims that the new tour will feature oldies returning and lots more rotation.

There's a lot more, but that's the basic rundown for anyone that doesn't want to read the magazine.

This weeks NME has a treasure trove of information about T2L! :awesome: It isn't released until tomorrow, but someone on .mu got it early and posted scans!!

Basic information:

- Supremacy is described as "swamp blues"

- Madness is a love song, and the next single

- Panic Station is 80s Prince-style with 'sex gasps' from Matt

- Survival works better in the context of the album

- Follow Me has Bing's heartbeat in it

- Animals is flamenco and has lyrics about bankers killing themselves

- Explorers is "choral pop" about dying crops

- Save Me and Liquid State are written by and sung by Chris and are about his drinking problem

- Big Freeze is described as a "stadium stomp"

- Unsustainable and Isolated System are "doom drenched operas full of news reports from the end of civilisation"

- Chris claims that the new tour will feature oldies returning and lots more rotation.

There's a lot more, but that's the basic rundown for anyone that doesn't want to read the magazine.

oh my god you have no idea I actually almost started crying

this makes me so happy

(not the crying, the Chris singing and the tour info)

...currently most liked comment on a radiohead song on youtube

"sorry guys muse is a blatent rip off of radiohead and the only touches muse put in there music is awful such as anthemic coruses,,, dumass 'fight the system' lyrics while they themselfs are on a major label,,, etc the list coud go on pls see to my previous comment,., u are not a radiohead fan if u like them" :blank: