✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Muse Thread - Hate This & I'll Hate You

CountingDemons

Actually, I like "The Resistance" more than I do BHAR. This is coming from a person whose first Muse album was BHAR. Say what you want about that. I also love "Valtari."

Also, I believe Muse have released their masterpiece, as do other people. I will stand by "Absolution" until the day I die. That album has done more for me than any other.

I could also throw some other albums that are better than their last ones. "Strangeland" by Keane. "Dye It Blonde" by Smith Westerns. "Liebe Ist Für Alle Da" by Rammstein. (OK, maybe that's not fair, given that "Rosenrot" was merely "Reise, Reise" leftovers thrown together, but it still counts.) There are more that I haven't named. It all depends on how you look at it.

Even if what you say is true, if you're disillusioned with some of the music you've been listening to ("Their music isn't as good as it used to be" or "They've sold out" or however you may feel that isn't either of these things), there's always new music out there. I've listened to many excellent debut albums this year. Look into those. If those do nothing for you, look into music of the past. There's always something great out there. You just have to look for it. :smiley:

Don't know if you guys here have seen this, but this is the translation of a French article giving a track-by-track description of The 2nd Law:

A few days ago, we had the opportunity to hear one of hard rock’s most anticipated albums, perhaps the most anticipated album of the year. Check out our first listen to The 2nd Law, the sixth studio album by Muse, which will become available on September 17.

1. Supremacy (4:55)

The 2nd Law opens with a song whose title sounds familiar (you would think that Muse would have at least one or two songs that contain the word “supremacy,” but apparently not…). There’s no real structure. “Supremacy” recalls Led Zeppelin’s “Kashmir” in both riff and orchestration.

2. Madness (4:39)

While it seemed they had launched a machine, Muse takes the listener against their expectations with “Madness,” a calm, sweet and languid song that is surprising to find so early in the tracklist. Electro arrangements are obviously drawing from Depeche Mode, similar to Undisclosed Desires from The Resistance.

3. Panic Station (3:03)

The pace changes again with Panic station, and its bass derived from Red Hot Chili Peppers. In both funk and disco (Muse dared brass), this song has power to be a single. It would be unsurprising to hear it on the radio in a few months.

4. Prelude (1:03)

“Prelude” is none other than the introduction to Survival, the official anthem of the London 2012 Olympics that Muse unveiled off the canvas in June.

5. Survival (4:17)

It’s hard not to think of Queen while listening to “Survival.” From the intro, the ghost of Freddie Mercury hangs over the piece which transitions easily after the first three titles. However, will it become a classic like “Plug In Baby,” “Time Is running Out,” and “Supermassive Black Hole?”

6. Follow Me (3:51)

We continue to “Follow Me,” a title that crescendos after starting with light keyboard accompanying a light voice that sounds like an echo, to finish with a dance floor driven buzz. This track is confusing.

7. Animals (4:23)

“Animals” begins with a rather fast tempo introduced by a barrage of riffs, which never happens. The piece, which recalls Radiohead, races slightly with a quite short guitar solo. We feel it keeps the horses reigned in. It’s the damp squib of the album.

8. Explorers (5:48)

The signature voice of Matt Bellamy hits the nail on the entry to “Explorers,” a ballad along the vein of “Blackout.” ‘Can you free me from the world?’ Matthew sings on this track, which turns out to be the least surprising of the disc.

9. Big Freeze (4:41)

Confusing, ”Big Freeze” is the contrast! Just like “Panic Station,” this title goes beyond the usual and engages clearly with funk. The result is stunning! Nevertheless, it sounds distinctly of Muse and could be a single.

10. Save Me (5:09)

The break of the album comes with “Save Me,” on which Matt Bellamy leaves the microphone to bassist Chris Wolstenholme. The transition is somewhat confusing because the voices of the two musicians are totally different. Chris’ record is worse than his colleague’s.

11. Liquid State (3:03)

Liquid State is the second track composed by Chris Wolstenholme, and is undoubtedly the most rock of The 2nd Law. Chris’ voice is reminiscent of Maynard James Keenan, the lead singer of Tool, at times.

12. The 2nd Law: Unsustainable (3:48)

As like The Resistance, The 2nd Law closes with a song in parts. The first, entitled "The 2nd Law: Unsustainable" is already known to all, as this is the teaser that has caused so much ink since it went online. It is the only track influenced by dubstep. The English group likes to play with the media, who have seen fit to leak an entire disk too quickly, influenced by the latest electronic music trend in fashion.

13. The 2nd Law: Isolated System (4:59)

The second part of the song, “Isolated System,” begins quietly before adopting on a more sustained pace. Here, the keyboards take the lion’s share. The song ends with a female voice in a loop.

Some interesting tidbits in there! :)

Actually, I like "The Resistance" more than I do BHAR. This is coming from a person whose first Muse album was BHAR. Say what you want about that. I also love "Valtari."

Also, I believe Muse have released their masterpiece, as do other people. I will stand by "Absolution" until the day I die. That album has done more for me than any other.

I could also throw some other albums that are better than their last ones. "Strangeland" by Keane. "Dye It Blonde" by Smith Westerns. "Liebe Ist Für Alle Da" by Rammstein. (OK, maybe that's not fair, given that "Rosenrot" was merely "Reise, Reise" leftovers thrown together, but it still counts.) There are more that I haven't named. It all depends on how you look at it.

Even if what you say is true, if you're disillusioned with some of the music you've been listening to ("Their music isn't as good as it used to be" or "They've sold out" or however you may feel that isn't either of these things), there's always new music out there. I've listened to many excellent debut albums this year. Look into those. If those do nothing for you, look into music of the past. There's always something great out there. You just have to look for it. :smiley:

I like 90% of the albums I named. Just not as much as the old stuff. Which sounds typical hipster but it's true. We haven't had a defining album for a while. It's a bit much to say we'll never get one again, but I just despair at people who think it's their human right to have music for nothing.

Of course, there are artists and bands riding high at the moment. I just wish they'd get the attention they deserve.

Am I the only one here who actually really likes Undisclosed Desires? Maybe that's because The Resitance was my first Muse album...still the bass is quite something

Just as a point though, when was the last time any rock/indie/alternative band released an album that was as good as their last one? Or just brilliant at all? The Resistance wasn't as good as Black Holes. MX wasn't as good as Viva. Suck It And See wasn't as good as Humbug. Only Revolutions wasn't great in comparison to previous attempts, neither was Valtari, Congratulations, Gossamer, This Is Happening, The King of Limbs, Velociraptor, Contra, Build a Rocket Boys, Tonight Franz Ferdinand, Dig Out Your Soul, Skying, No Line on the Horizon, Surfing the Void...

I kind that agree and would also add I'm with You by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers on the list, it just feels bands are making OK albuns, and most of them are going nowhere with just more of the same over and over again. (I like Tonight: Franz Ferdinand though :P)

i guess the problem right now is that new bands with really great music are not getting the attention they deserve, and that's why sometimes it feels like there are not good albums or music out there anymore, don't get me wrong i don't want to sound like a hipster at all :)

i'm agree that some bands right now are just doing ok music, and yes some bands don't get better after they realease really good albums , but some of them do:)

Just as a point though, when was the last time any rock/indie/alternative band released an album that was as good as their last one? Or just brilliant at all? The Resistance wasn't as good as Black Holes. MX wasn't as good as Viva. Suck It And See wasn't as good as Humbug. Only Revolutions wasn't great in comparison to previous attempts, neither was Valtari, Congratulations, Gossamer, This Is Happening, The King of Limbs, Velociraptor, Contra, Build a Rocket Boys, Tonight Franz Ferdinand, Dig Out Your Soul, Skying, No Line on the Horizon, Surfing the Void...

...Music's so disappointing lately. Sure, there are exceptions. Arcade Fire and Beach House are the ones that stick out in my mind.

I agree with most of them ... you just made me feel like the good music is gone too :( (Except for Congratulations, that one is briljant in my book!!!)

but then I thought about artists that are not in your list: I think The Silicon Veil is better than Susanne Sundstrøm's debut. Also Lost In The Trees came this year with a better CD than the previous one. Also Choir of Young Believers. Lana Del Rey. Blue Foundation. And that's just off the top of my head. All of these released this year. It's going great! And like Violet said, new amazing debuts are out there as well, waiting to get picked up by the mass. I'm not music tired yet :D

Also that French review sounds so interesting. It got to me, I dreamed about it, hahaha! I dreamed about a more elaborate review and could hear snippets myself. Too bad that I don't remember what they sounded like :(

One tiny thing, as much as I like Undisclosed Desires ... how on earth does that sound like Depeche Mode? :\

Am I the only one here who actually really likes Undisclosed Desires? Maybe that's because The Resitance was my first Muse album...still the bass is quite something

No, you're not alone. I love UD; it's one of my top played on iTunes for Muse. Something about it clicks for me.

And it wasn't my first Muse album.

...Music's so disappointing lately. Sure, there are exceptions. Arcade Fire and Beach House are the ones that stick out in my mind.

There's no money in music at all. I don't think Muse have released their masterpiece, and I don't think they ever will. I don't think we'll ever see a classic album again. Let's take what we can from The 2nd Law, it's not just Muse that are declining.

(Sorry this is so pessimistic, but the state of music depresses the hell out of me at the moment)

I have to disagree with a few of these. I reckon Velociraptor! is better that West Ryder... Just because Velociraptor! is easier to get in to. I can only listen to some tracks on West Ryder when I'm in a certain mood otherwise it grates on me. Also Velociraptor translates really well live-- whereas only certain tracks of WR do.

With Humbug, it was darker and more mature. But I think that took some of the appeal off Arctic Monkeys, and it made their live shows become a little more sedate at points (when I saw them in Benicassim people stood stock still for 90% of Humbug tracks). Even though I do like Humbug, I prefer Suck It And See because it's more fun and I think the Arctic Monkeys shouldn't take themselves too seriously, just because most of the fans have been with them since their late adolescence.

Gossamer = Manners. It's really The Temper Trap albums that are the disappointing out of the 2.

Otherwise I agree with you.

But you say that, I think the quality of debut albums coming out over the last few years are the highest quality they've been for years... Suego Faults, An Awesome Wave, America Give Up, Other People's Problems, Django Django, Enjoy it While it Lasts...

That's a bummer, I wonder why?

As for UD, I do like it a lot. I think it was an interesting (and brave!) style change for the band and they pulled it off well. It's horrible live though, imo. When I went to see Muse it was still one of my top 15 or so songs, and even I was bored during it.

^^I wonder why too.

Especially considering journalists have already begun to hear it.

I'm thinking that they are pushing it back so not to clash with The Killers. Clashing with other massive releases means their first week sales would be piss poor because they'd have to divide people (I for one would buy both, but some people may not).

Anyway... Did people see the track-by-track guide by a French journalist?

Supremacy:

No real structure, sometimes reminds of the “Kashmir” by Led Zeppelin with its guitar riff and its symphonic orchestration.

Madness:

A calm, languorous and sweet song, it’s surprising to find this one that early in the tracklist according to the journalist. The electronic arrangements really remind of Depeche Mode, just like in Undisclosed Desires.

Panic Station:

“Pounding bass” à la Red Hot Chili Peppers. Both funk and disco (Muse dared using brass), this song is very likely to become a single. Hearing it on the radio in a few months wouldn’t be surprising.

Follow me:

Starting with some soft keyboard along with a voice echoing, the song intensifies and builds into an almost dancefloor rythm with a buzzing bass. This track is out of the ordinary.

Animals:

Quite a fast tempo at the beginning, which makes one expect a flood of riffs… but that never happens. The song sometimes reminds of Radiohead, gets a little heavier with a guitar solo which turns out to be pretty short in fact. The “damb squib” of the album.

Explorers:

Matt’s vocal signature shoots right in the middle from the beginning, a ballade in the style of Blackout. “Can you free me from this world”, Matt sings on this track which turns out to be the less surprising of the album.

Big Freeze:

As puzzling as Panic Station. A really funk track. The result is striking, although we can still hear Muse’s style on this track which could become a single as well.

Save me:

The first split in the album. The transition is a little bit surprising as Chris’ voice is really different from Matt’s (Chris sings much lower).

Liquid State:

With no doubt the heaviest track on the album. Chris’ voice almost sounds like Maynard James Keenan’s sometimes (the singer of Tool).

Unsustainable:

Everyone already knows this first part (from the teaser of the album). Only sequence influenced by dubstep in the album.

Isolated system.

Starts slowly, and then intensifies. No singing but a lot of keyboard. The song ends with a female voice in a loop.

Bon Iver s/t, Helplessness Blues, Wasting Light, Ceremonials, Wounded Rhymes, Circuital, Let England Shake, Strange Mercy, and Bloom are all arguably either the best or among the best by their respective bands. All released in the last year-and-a-half.

Many of the British acts have dropped the ball, though, which is an anomaly. I'm not hearing good things about the TDCC album either.

(I'm surprised you didn't mention that new Miike Snow album. Biggest disappointment of the year for me so far.)

Really? I loved Happy to You. Then again, I haven't heard Miike Snow (the album) yet. :surprised:

And Sherlock Season 2 soundtrack was loads better than Season 1 :awesome:

To be honest I don't really care when they release it, so long as it's this year. We've waited long enough, a few more days won't really make a difference :nice:

It's funny that everyone's disagreed with me over different albums :P On the whole though, I think I'd be pretty level with Metacritic. For what that's worth :/

This time last year though, we had Is This It? released in the early part of the decade. Ten years prior, Nevermind. What have we got this year? Nothing outstanding. Muse certainly won't change that, I fear that for all the bombast, they'll tread water for the rest of their careers.

Actually, I agreed with you on all the albums you listed (except maybe Contra) but I also provided some examples of albums that exceeded expectations.

The different between now and the Nirvana era is that no revolution in rock is taking place. The early 90's saw alt rock first take shape, the early 00's saw the breakout of "indie" groups, and yet the most significant thing we're seeing today is the fusion of rock with other genres that are "in" right now, specifically electronic. Hence why rock/synth hybrids like M83 and Miike Snow are making a big splash, while existing rock bands like Muse and Death Cab are incorporating more electronic sounds into their music than before.

The Skrillexes and Deadmau5's of the world are taking over with their fancy iPads. Rock is still thriving but also having to double-dip a bit.

Many of the British acts have dropped the ball, though, which is an anomaly. I'm not hearing good things about the TDCC album either.

(I'm surprised you didn't mention that new Miike Snow album. Biggest disappointment of the year for me so far.)

The new TDCC album is actually pretty enjoyable if you ask me. It's slightly less sunshine infectious than their previous but for a September release I think it fits better with the season. There aren't really any tracks in the album that stand out as much as anything on Tourist History.

I am not alone in thinking the new Miike Snow is rubbish then?! God what a let down after theory stunning debut. I only like about half the album and I bought the Jackalope edition, royally ripped off was I. I've also heard they are terrible live...?

Actually, I agreed with you on all the albums you listed (except maybe Contra) but I also provided some examples of albums that exceeded expectations.

The different between now and the Nirvana era is that no revolution in rock is taking place. The early 90's saw alt rock first take shape, the early 00's saw the breakout of "indie" groups, and yet the most significant thing we're seeing today is the fusion of rock with other genres that are "in" right now, specifically electronic. Hence why rock/synth hybrids like M83 and Miike Snow are making a big splash, while existing rock bands like Muse and Death Cab are incorporating more electronic sounds into their music than before.

The Skrillexes and Deadmau5's of the world are taking over with their fancy iPads. Rock is still thriving but also having to double-dip a bit.

I agree with this 100%. If you look at the new bands coming out that are hotly tipped by critics/journalists they're not really doing anything new or trying to reform the musical landscape. NME have tabbed Spector to be massive... For reviving 'indie guitar music' so it really is the same old formula (not that I don't love Spector, but you get what I mean).

And the Skrillex thing riles me up. Every man and his dog can do what he is doing and everyone loves it... And people are paying horrendous prices to see that over real bands. At least if you see Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs (in the same vein of music I guess), he actually sings... And oh yeah, he uses both vinyl and macbook... And he has dancing dinosaur girls. That's how it ahould be done.

(Do I sound like a horrendous music snob yet?)

I am not alone in thinking the new Miike Snow is rubbish then?! God what a let down after theory stunning debut. I only like about half the album and I bought the Jackalope edition, royally ripped off was I. I've also heard they are terrible live...?

I am seeing them for the first time tomorrow. I will confirm or deny that report. But I haven't heard promising things either. As long as they still play "Silvia", I think I won't complain much.

NME have tabbed Spector to be massive... For reviving 'indie guitar music' so it really is the same old formula (not that I don't love Spector, but you get what I mean).

I enjoy what I've heard of Spector, but even The Vaccines were doing that same thing just a year before.

And the Skrillex thing riles me up. Every man and his dog can do what he is doing and everyone loves it... And people are paying horrendous prices to see that over real bands.

Hey, as far as I'm concerned, they filter out the idiots at music festivals away from the stages where real bands play. (downside being that many festivals now sell out quickly because people ONLY want to see DJ's click their iTunes all day)

Anyway... Did people see the track-by-track guide by a French journalist?

Supremacy:

No real structure, sometimes reminds of the “Kashmir” by Led Zeppelin with its guitar riff and its symphonic orchestration.

Madness:

A calm, languorous and sweet song, it’s surprising to find this one that early in the tracklist according to the journalist. The electronic arrangements really remind of Depeche Mode, just like in Undisclosed Desires.

Panic Station:

“Pounding bass” à la Red Hot Chili Peppers. Both funk and disco (Muse dared using brass), this song is very likely to become a single. Hearing it on the radio in a few months wouldn’t be surprising.

Follow me:

Starting with some soft keyboard along with a voice echoing, the song intensifies and builds into an almost dancefloor rythm with a buzzing bass. This track is out of the ordinary.

Animals:

Quite a fast tempo at the beginning, which makes one expect a flood of riffs… but that never happens. The song sometimes reminds of Radiohead, gets a little heavier with a guitar solo which turns out to be pretty short in fact. The “damb squib” of the album.

Explorers:

Matt’s vocal signature shoots right in the middle from the beginning, a ballade in the style of Blackout. “Can you free me from this world”, Matt sings on this track which turns out to be the less surprising of the album.

Big Freeze:

As puzzling as Panic Station. A really funk track. The result is striking, although we can still hear Muse’s style on this track which could become a single as well.

Save me:

The first split in the album. The transition is a little bit surprising as Chris’ voice is really different from Matt’s (Chris sings much lower).

Liquid State:

With no doubt the heaviest track on the album. Chris’ voice almost sounds like Maynard James Keenan’s sometimes (the singer of Tool).

Unsustainable:

Everyone already knows this first part (from the teaser of the album). Only sequence influenced by dubstep in the album.

Isolated system.

Starts slowly, and then intensifies. No singing but a lot of keyboard. The song ends with a female voice in a loop.

I already posted that one (well, a different translation of the same article :P)

I am seeing them for the first time tomorrow. I will confirm or deny that report. But I haven't heard promising things either. As long as they still play "Silvia", I think I won't complain much.

Ah, let me know. I need to decide whether I make room for them in my Reading schedule (currently it looks like Miike Snow vs. The Vaccines)

I enjoy what I've heard of Spector, but even The Vaccines were doing that same thing just a year before.

Yeah, pretty much. NME have to have one new band to champion though. Hence Spector.

Hey, as far as I'm concerned, they filter out the idiots at music festivals away from the stages where real bands play. (downside being that many festivals now sell out quickly because people ONLY want to see DJ's click their iTunes all day)

I haven't come across that actually because a lot of my festivals haven't gone OTT on DJ's yet. Most of the DJ's are at Creamfields/Outlook/Hideout-- they have their own specialist festivals thankfully (my brother does them, I do mine). But yeah, I'm glad they're far enough away not to disrupt your experience.

Lots of Interview videos:

All about Panic Station:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myXGw0dGjdk]Muse The 2nd Law Interview | Panic Station - YouTube[/ame]

(Daymn, they look fine. Don't they look fine?)

Why have Muse been so successful?:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-saqB_YCrDY]Muse The 2nd Law Interview | Why Has Muse Been So Successful - YouTube[/ame]

All about Save Me and Liquid State:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUruFv1epzc]Muse The 2nd Law Interview | Talking about their songs "Save Me" & "Liquid State" - YouTube[/ame]

(I'm kind of stanning Chris after this.)

Olympic Relay:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubHKD3EaoMM]Muse The 2nd Law Interview | Taking part in the Olympic Torch Relay - YouTube[/ame]

Survival:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pas9A9iV-ZU]Muse The 2nd Law Interview | How did the song "Survival" come together - YouTube[/ame]

(Bleh; it does not represent the Olympics. I haven't heard it once)

How Do You Create Music?:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj-fC4uYxXM]Muse The 2nd Law Interview | How do you create your music? - YouTube[/ame]

Explaining the 2nd Law:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gZENZ1Z6lE]Muse The 2nd Law Interview | What is "The 2nd Law" ? - YouTube[/ame]

(:lol: @ Matt trying to sound non-insane)

Success influencing the album:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGDUdcJEja0]Muse The 2nd Law Interview | Talking about has success influenced "The 2nd Law" - YouTube[/ame]

What makes this album different:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMbafWQDhIU]Muse The 2nd Law Interview | What Makes "The 2nd Law" unlike their previous albums - YouTube[/ame]

Supremacy:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZlDpzLPPHg]Muse The 2nd Law Interview | Supremacy - YouTube[/ame]

Madness:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6oEB2pQv2A]Muse The 2nd Law Interview | Madness - YouTube[/ame]

Big Freeze:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLDA73a7NBE]Muse The 2nd Law Interview | Big Freeze - YouTube[/ame]

Follow Me:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdrTD3CXPJc]Muse The 2nd Law Interview | Follow Me - YouTube[/ame]

What Did You Learn Making the Album?:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpzVkJzSLhk]Muse The 2nd Law Interview | What did you learn Making 'The 2nd Law' ? - YouTube[/ame]