✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[1-Aug-2012] Coldplay @ Palace of Auburn Hills, Detroit, MI, USA

Denise

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW!!! Such an awesome time guys. I took my brother in law and best friend who are casual friends and they ended up leaving with that look of what did we just witness. The Xylobands were just amazing. This was my first time experiencing them and pictures and videos truly do not do it justice. The setlist was back to usual with Warning Sign back. Some tidbits: Highlights for me were any song with Xylobands, Fix You..just seeing peoples reaction to this song is tremendous. Yellow again was dedicated to Aurora. Chris made a little mistake on Paradise. God Put A Smile Upon Your Face is so awesome. Will had a birthday cake! The concert just seemed to fly by though! Marina and the Diamonds weren't bad. Primadonna is a catchy song for sure. Sorry I am just rambling. It's 3 AM and I am still on cloud 9. All my pictures and videos were taken with my iPhone. May try tomorrow to post them here. Tried to meet them after but they left right away. Overall, I thought the crowd was awesome. Not a lot showed up for the openers so I was worried at first. Some people in my section 228 were sitting all show and that was annoying, but overall very excited crowd. Chris kissed the floor in the end. Again, such a tremendous band we love. I hope one day I can meet them face to face and tell them how much of an impact they have had on my life. I will be going to Tuesdays show in Chicago. If you haven't gone to a concert yet this tour, GO!

20120801235213_2012-0801-dm-coldplay0048.jpg

Coldplay lead singer Chris Martin belts out the opening song at a concert at The Palace of Auburn Hills, along with opening acts Emeli Sande' and also Marina and the Diamonds in Auburn Hills, Mich., on Aug. 1, 2012. (Daniel Mears / The Detroit News)

Coldplay dazzles with interactive show at Palace

Fans entering Coldplay's concert Wednesday at the Palace of Auburn Hills were given wristbands and were told to put them on, as they would be a part of the show.

Were they ever. After the arena went dark and the band hit the stage -- to the theme from "Back to the Future," no less -- the wristbands switched on and lit up the arena in a sea of blues, greens, yellows, reds and whites, blinking in sync and turning the audience of 17,000 into a gorgeous electric rainbow.

Coldplay, for all the knocks against the band, has always been a dynamic arena act, pushing the boundaries of production to create a top-notch live show. The wristband trick is the group's greatest feat yet, and feels like a game-changer for live music. It is one of the largest steps ever taken to personalize the arena experience, literally making fans a part of the show.

But Coldplay wasn't done playing with the crowd, not by a long shot. During the second song, the live staple "In My Place," the band played amid a blizzard of confetti, a concert gag that is usually saved for the final song of the evening. They did it less than 10 minutes into the show, just because they can.

Then during "Lovers in Japan," which came four songs into the band's 20-song, 95-minute set, oversized balloons dropped from the ceiling onto the crowd, who batted them around like beach balls.

What was next, free cars for everyone in attendance? Hardly. With those stunts out of their system, the four-piece spent the bulk of the show settled into a comfortable groove, working through its sizable catalog of hits like a working band. "Yellow," the band's first hit, was given new life by drummer Will Champion's pounding rhythm, and "God Put a Smile Upon Your Face" felt revitalized as well, the band lending it a new energy thanks to frontman Chris Martin's passionate delivery.

Martin is the key to so much of Coldplay's success because he's an excellent, energetic frontman, but he never comes across as a superhero or bigger than life. Moreso, he just seems like a guy who really likes his job and is really good at it, and he makes you believe in the band's music. Coldplay has plenty of heart, and he is the heart of Coldplay.

The band played a mini-set of three songs at the end of the stage's large catwalk, and later ventured into the crowd for a two-song set in one of the lower-level suites. By the time closer "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall" came around, the wristbands were blinking again -- they were used in a total of five songs during the show -- and Martin was kicking his feet through the layer of confetti that still covered the stage.

At the end of the show, Martin fell to his knees and kissed the stage after the band took a bow for the audience. It was a small moment in a concert filled with big, breathtaking moments, but it was a memorable one just the same.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120802/OPINION03/208020392#ixzz22NEnZOI9

Great review!! Another convert.

'Man-date' to Coldplay at the Palace: A concert review

Disclaimer: This is entertainment reporter Eric Lacy’s fist concert review for Mlive Detroit, after a nine-year career at The Detroit News, where he dabbled in sports, copy editing and breaking news on the metro desk. This experience at The Palace of Auburn Hills, albeit a shockingly positive one, still doesn’t mean he’s ready to go see Nickelback, Creed or Smash Mouth. He’d make an exception for No Doubt - only if Bush was the opening act and Gwen Stefani did a dubstep remix of “Hollaback Girl” in a banana suit, accompanied by Korn and Skrillex.

AUBURN HILLS, MI - When a Palace of Auburn Hills employee handed me Wednesday night a pink wristband that had the words “Made in China” on it, I started to get doubts.

This was, after all, a trip to go see Coldplay - with another man.

And it already seemed a little strange.

This is a concert you take a woman to. But since neither one of us have girlfriends, we scheduled a man-date.

The good news about this event: Royal Oak resident Brian Wilson, my best fried since sixth grade, was a lock to have a good time because he’s a longtime Coldplay fan.

Plus, he also got a pink wristband.

I needed way more convincing that I was in the right place.

And surprisingly, I got it from these four British dudes who know how to make females swoon with their emotive lyrics.

The night started with a lovely $10 meal (went went Dutch) at a Royal Oak Olga’s, and ended with me eagerly awaiting the next time this seven-time Grammy Award winning group returns to the D.

It only took 14 years, but I know now why these guys are so popular.

They are no longer considered by me the torturers of my soul, ones who made me depressed every time I heard them on the radio.

Eric LacyColdplay played The Palace at Auburn Hills on Aug. 1, 2012.

They got some swag, an ability to show off some metal and a eclectic U2-like feel that boosts their international appeal.

Plus, their innovative touch with those light up wristbands, including some in manly blue, turned The Palace into an eye-popping, fan-driven display of arena-rock electric hype in tones from all colors of the rainbow.

Hell of a display.

And those who saw it all, including myself, appeared to be drawn into the words and notes of Coldplay lead singer Chris Martin and his three mates: Johnny Buckland (lead guitar), Will Champion (drums) and Guy Berryman (bass).

“Detroit!,’ Martin screamed before he addressed his bandmates. “It’s going to be a good one, boys.”

The more than 90-minute performance certainly was, and showed some Detroit-style grit from representatives of the United Kingdom who shockingly weren’t afraid to show force.

“In return for being the best audience,” Martin yelled, “we’re going to play the best (bleeping) concert of your life!”

Martin certainly didn’t lack drive.

He ended up wearing four different T-shirts throughout the night, likely because of perspiration from his often hyperactive stage presence.

And it was the kind of approach that made fans scream for more, especially during Martin’s sweat-soaked version of “Yellow,” a signature track on the band’s first album, “Parachutes.”

As perspiration dripped from Martin’s chin and the side of his face, he bobbed his torso and legs back and forth at a piano.

Then he quickly jumped to the guitar for what seemed like a harder than expected version of “Violet Hill.”

At one point, during “Got Put A Smile Upon Your Face,” Martin threw one of his guitars about 30 feet in the air and caught it after admiring Buckland’s hypnotic heavy metal-style riffs.

What really reeled me in was the fact Coldplay enjoyed playing hard, with most of the slower, more melodramatic songs after the event’s first heart-bounding 40 minutes.

But a lot of the same mellow tunes that often irked me when heard on the radio, didn’t seem too annoying Wednesday night since the intro was so fierce.

Whether it was electric guitar, acoustic guitar, piano or straight up singing, Martin and Co. clearly put in an honest night’s work.

It was the type of performance that could’ve been considered live album material, at least from this concert reviewer novice’s perspective.

And when Martin yelled, “If you see it then you’d understand,” during the band’s hit “Speed of Sound,” I couldn’t help but find a meaning to the phrase that suits me.

At that moment, I finally fessed up to myself: “Ok Eric, Coldplay is actually good - really good.”

Yeah, these guys might have a feminine side to their choices of lyrics and brand - with all that gushy love and heartbreak stuff - but they can also let it rip, too.

So I left The Palace with a new point of view, a new man.

I finally get Coldplay; this ironically coming from the guy currently on page 144 of E.J. James’ “Fifty Shades of Grey.”

Call it maturity, I guess, or the fact I finally know what good music sounds like.

No matter what kind of phenomenon took over me the other night, I’ll never forget it.

Paradise, indeed Mr. Martin. Glad I finally became a witness.

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/detroit/index.ssf/2012/08/man-date_to_coldplay_at_the_pa.html

Words are not anywhere near good enough as to how that felt last night, I really am speechless and so overwhelmed, I hope some day I can meet them just to atleast say Thank you to them, I was in awe of that show, so beautiful, so stunning... I don't even know how to put it into words.

I'll post my review later... but here are the videos I toke

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-HU3hqwVzc]Coldplay: Palace of Auburn Hills - 99 Problems/Back to the Future intro/Hurts Like Heaven - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nrm1GrPO-I]Coldplay LIVE: 'In My Pace' Palace of Auburn Hills 09/01/'12 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv-gWtRtzBY]Coldplay LIVE: 'The Scientist' Place of Auburn Hills 09/01/'12 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8csr2ETi7sE]MVI 0021 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFT37jUV3so]Coldplay LIVE: 'Princess of China' Palace of Auburn Hills 09/01/2012 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sanlB1WDIcQ]Coldplay LIVE: 'Warning Sign' Palace of Auburn Hills 09/01/'12 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8SC_57RAMs]Coldplay LIVE: 'Charlie Brown' Palace of Auburn Hills 09/01/'12 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt8S69N-PVA]MVI 0059 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oM0_-Aia3w]Coldplay LIVE: Palace of Auburn Hills finale 'Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall' - YouTube[/ame]