✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Rank the Ghost Stories songs!

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Magic is literally the most beautiful song on the planet of earth. How can you not like it? That is not even understandable to me. Paradise is also an amazing song. I find myself relating to it all the time. But seriously, don't insult Coldplay by hating on one of their best songs ever. (And you are totally wrong, the other songs are the ones that don't even come close to Magic).

• Like 1

1. Magic

2. Ink

3. Always in my head

4. A sky full of stars

5. O

6. Oceans

7. True Love

8. Midnight

9. Another's arms

And as ColdplayingfromKansas said, if we included the bonus track, Ghost Story would be first. And All your friends very close!

• 9 months later...

As part of an insightful set of reviews, I'm reviewing Ghost Stories next

Always In My Head- a relaxing and ambient opener with use of O. lyrics are deeply soothing and everything fits together perfectly. one of their best

Magic- another ambient and relaxing song, but with themes of getting over something or someone. Jonny's guitar is like an angel and the bass line is great, sauna music or when you're feeling down listen to this

Ink- not much of a fan of the track much now, but it's ink pot like beat is very Minecraft sounding. dunno why I thought of that, but it just seems like it fits in a TV show or video game. takes you on an adventure as well, which is cool

True Love- really beautiful little song, visuals live are amazing, they should be proud of this

Midnight- one of the best songs Coldplay have ever made. it has elements inspired by Radiohead's Kid A and Jon Hopkins' work, and the cold and dark lyrics mix well with the soothing but chilling Nine Inch Nails like-ambience. an entire album of this would get a solid 10

Another's Arms- bland and reminds me of a less creepy We Suck Young Blood, beat is off, it doesn't belong here

Oceans- chill out acoustic song. best listen to night when it's raining or you're by the sea

A Sky Full Of Stars- the hit this album wanted. enjoy it quite a bit beside it's pop/EDM beats and dance grooves which still don't belong here

O- makes you want to fly, gorgeous song and quite a masterpiece, like its build up ending as well, used in nearly all my playlists

Ghost Story- why isn't this on the album? creepy, chilling ending and soothing, acoustic main song.

All Your Friends- tearjerker, really depressing but really means a lot, one of their best B Sides

O (Reprise)- another one that ends a lot of my playlists, really ambient and hopeful look at the world. beautiful.

9.5/10 2nd best album of the 2010's imo.

• Like 1

1. Ghost Story
  2. Fly On
  3. Midnight
  4. Always in My Head
  5. Magic
  6. All Your Friends
  7. Oceans
  8. Ink
  9. A Sky Full of Stars
  10. True Love
  11. Another's Arms

I'd probably give it a 6.5 or 7/10, definitely my favourite of the newplay albums.

9.5/10 2nd best album of the 2010's imo.

What's the best one? :P

1. Ghost Story
  2. Fly On
  3. Midnight
  4. Always in My Head
  5. Magic
  6. All Your Friends
  7. Oceans
  8. Ink
  9. A Sky Full of Stars
  10. True Love
  11. Another's Arms

I'd probably give it a 6.5 or 7/10, definitely my favourite of the newplay albums.

What's the best one? :P

10. Tame Impala- Currents, 2015

[ATTACH=full]4438[/ATTACH]

9. Foals- Holy Fire, 2013

[ATTACH=full]4454[/ATTACH]

8. In Colour- Jamie xx, 2015

[ATTACH=full]4455[/ATTACH]

7. Blackstar- David Bowie, 2016

[ATTACH=full]4456[/ATTACH]

6. Mylo Xyloto- Coldplay, 2011

[ATTACH=full]4445[/ATTACH]

5. The xx- Coexist, 2012

[ATTACH=full]4446[/ATTACH]

4. Linkin Park- Living Things, 2013

[ATTACH=full]4450[/ATTACH]

3. Tycho- Dive, 2011

[ATTACH=full]4451[/ATTACH]

2. Coldplay- Ghost Stories, 2014

[ATTACH=full]4452[/ATTACH]

1. Radiohead- The King Of Limbs, 2011

[ATTACH=full]4453[/ATTACH]

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
  1. O
  2. Magic
  3. True Love
  4. Midnight
  5. A Sky Full of Stars
  6. Another's Arms
  7. Oceans
  8. Ink
  9. Always in My Head

In case we take the Target bonus tracks into consideration,

1. O/Ghost Story (tie)
  2. Magic
  3. All Your Friends
  4. True Love
  5. Midnight
  6. A Sky Full of Stars
  7. Another's Arms
  8. Oceans
  9. Ink
  10. Always in My Head
  11. O (Reprise)
Edited by M Marks The Spot

1. Oceans

2. Midnight

3. Fly On

4. Another's Arms

5. Always In My Head

6. Ink

7. True Love

8. Magic

9. A Sky Full Of Stars

Another's Arms has really grown on me. There was a time when I really didn't like it because I thought it was overproduced, but something about Johnny's guitar playing in the latter half of the song is so beautiful. And something about those synths and the sampled female voice just give the song a sort of ghostly vibe that fits so well in the context of the album.

• Like 1

If we take into consideration their non-album singles for movies released a year before (Atlas) and a few months after (Miracles):

1. Ghost Story

2. Midnight

3. Oceans

4. Miracles

5. Magic

6. O

7. Atlas

8. All Your Friends

9. Ink

10. True Love

11. A Sky Full of Stars

12. Always in My Head

13. Another's Arms

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

My top

1. Midnight

2. A Sky Full of Stars

3. Oceans

4. O

5. Another Arms

6. Magic

7. True Love

8. Always in my Head

9. Ink.

It's difficult to classing outside the first place (who it's was in my top 5 coldplay songs) because this album was so pure and was a masterpiece. Facily in my top 3 Coldplay albums (with Everyday Life and A Rush of Blood to the Head).

I love Ghost Stories, so it's quite difficult for me to rank the songs, but it's fun and I'll try! They work very well as an ensemble, so I can't easily evaluate them out of their context. Anyway, from the best:

1. Midnight: ethereal beauty, this one shows what Coldplay are capable of;

2. Another's Arms: beatiful sound and texture, the ghostly voice kind of transforms the song into a duet;

3. Magic: beautiful lyrics, and the guitar and bass really give this song its soul;

4. Fly On: simple music and heavenly lyrics, Jonny makes birds sounds with his guitar;

5. O: the message of the entire album in a minute of dreamy soundscape, although the long silence between "Fly On" and "O" could have been avoided as it places "O" outside of the record's flow;

6. Always in My Head: great album opener, sets the atmosphere for the whole journey;

7. A Sky Full of Stars: great song, both musically and lyrically, I love the echoing voices and guitar sounds at the very end of the track;

8. Oceans: strong lyrics with powerful images over a minimalistic instrumantation, the second part is lovely, with those bell sounds and the ocean of synths submerging everything;

9. True Love: again, strong lyrics and great guitar solo by Jonny;

10. Ink: this was one of my favourites at the beginning, now I changed my mind a bit, but I still love those cricket-like electronic sounds evoking the night.

Edited by TheLostColdplayer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1