✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Rank the Ghost Stories songs!

Ok ok, I know we haven't heard all the songs yet, but that doesn't mean we can't rank the ones we have! Here's my list(subject to change):

1. Magic( At first the simplicity made me think I would get tired of it quick, but I like it more and more over time. Guy's bass line, the melody of the course, the simple yet sweet lyrics, the subtlety of Johnny's guitar and the classic, however restrained, Coldplay "take off", right after the ma-ma-magic bit. Great song.

2. Always in my Head ( This one was really hard, I couldn't decide which should be in 2nd, this song or Midnight. I'm gonna take this song simply cause I always catch myself singing it, which is the mark of any great CP song. I love Johnny's guitar work. Great opener.

3. Midnight ( I absolutely loved this song the first time I heard it simply cause it was so different. That initial shock has since worn off, but I'm still feeling this song and wouldn't mind at all if they explored this direction further and deeper in the future)

4. Another's Arm's ( This is the only one that I'm not really feeling(at the moment) the solo is good, not Johnny's best by far. I also love that we get Chris on piano for this one, he looks really comfortable there. Outside that to me this is just an average song. Of course the studio version could change that.

So that's it for now.. I'd love to see ya'lls list.. come on May 19th!

1. Midnight--- I can't get over how infectious the EDM elements are. The song itself is beautiful and Chris' lyrics, while still simple, are the best we have heard in a while. When that subtle bass drops and the strings kick in I can't help but sway and imagine a dark room with pulsating purples and blues like the itunes performance. So refreshing to hear Coldplay step out of their comfort zone.

2. Magic--- This song also makes me dance a bit, and while the lyrics are corny, they sound more sincere than ever and nobody can hate on that. I think it is a perfect pop song about love and I adore the simple theme of magic. Instrumentally I like the electronic flares and reverb that glitters in the background throughout the track which helps keep things interesting; otherwise the track would have been like Up In Flames. When the Acoustic guitar jam comes in, it sounds just like ETIAW to me.

3. Always In My Head---The studio version of this one may overtake Magic for me. Super calm and shows restraint from becoming too explosive. Really like simple lyrics that like Magic don't feel too cheesy. Like the guitar/bass lines and Will's drumming. Sets a nice groove. Also hope that intro is expanded upon on the album, when it opened the itunes festival I imagined staring out on a blue ocean at night just like the album cover. The intro's to their albums always look like the covers!

4. Another's Arms---Lyrically like some sappy R&B radio song, but love Johnny's guitar and can't help but sing a long with Chris' ahhhhh ahhhh near the end. Not a huge fan of the angelic looped sample at the beginning, but I like how it takes a dark turn and is morphed into a more muffled and minor sigh noise that plays with the piano and off the mini-guitar solo. Like Magic, if some of those more interesting noises take front seat in the studio version, I may really like this one and just accept the lyrics as they are.

1. Midnight--- I can't get over how infectious the EDM elements are. The song itself is beautiful and Chris' lyrics, while still simple, are the best we have heard in a while. When that subtle bass drops and the strings kick in I can't help but sway and imagine a dark room with pulsating purples and blues like the itunes performance. So refreshing to hear Coldplay step out of their comfort zone.

2. Magic--- This song also makes me dance a bit, and while the lyrics are corny, they sound more sincere than ever and nobody can hate on that. I think it is a perfect pop song about love and I adore the simple theme of magic. Instrumentally I like the electronic flares and reverb that glitters in the background throughout the track which helps keep things interesting; otherwise the track would have been like Up In Flames. When the Acoustic guitar jam comes in, it sounds just like ETIAW to me.

3. Always In My Head---The studio version of this one may overtake Magic for me. Super calm and shows restraint from becoming too explosive. Really like simple lyrics that like Magic don't feel too cheesy. Like the guitar/bass lines and Will's drumming. Sets a nice groove. Also hope that intro is expanded upon on the album, when it opened the itunes festival I imagined staring out on a blue ocean at night just like the album cover. The intro's to their albums always look like the covers!

4. Another's Arms---Lyrically like some sappy R&B radio song, but love Johnny's guitar and can't help but sing a long with Chris' ahhhhh ahhhh near the end. Not a huge fan of the angelic looped sample at the beginning, but I like how it takes a dark turn and is morphed into a more muffled and minor sigh noise that plays with the piano and off the mini-guitar solo. Like Magic, if some of those more interesting noises take front seat in the studio version, I may really like this one and just accept the lyrics as they are.

I love your descriptions of the songs. Very insightful!

1 - Another's Arms, the only one that I loved at first listen, beautiful melody and nice recorded vocals. The cathyest of them all.

2 - Midnight, this is so misteryous and I love the mix of Jon Hopkins production with Bon Iver-like vocals

3 - Magic, it's a nice song, very relaxed.

4 - Always In My Head, nothing special about it, it's not bad, but not good either.

1. Midnight without a doubt, I miss the abstract lyrics of Viva la Vida that really made you think and it seems to have made a return here; they lyrics are also at their least cheesy as well. I'm so glad the swelling synths are more groovy and layered as opposed to the bombastic synth style in Princess of China for example. The eerie wailing in the middle of the song on Chris's part is perfect, really shocks the mood and makes you feel like this is a "ghost story."

2. Always in My Head I'd say is next, this song has grown on me far more than any of them and I really love Will's percussion in this song. I like how it breaks from the traditional verse-chorus-verse-chorus-coda-outro formula most music is restricted to these days and, in addition to it being the best performance by Johnny of the four albums we've heard so far, it's lyrically behind only Midnight based on what we've heard so far from Ghost Stories.

3. Another's Arms is definitely a good song still, I wish the lyrics weren't so meh but the music, effects and vocals definitely make up for that. You can really feel Chris's emotion in this song, more so than say much of what we heard on Mylo Xyloto for example. The ending vocal where he's on the piano before the outro lyrics is fantastic and I'm rather fond of the backing opera-esque vocal. I don't know why so many people are put off by this, it's definitely an unusual style to embrace as such a commercial band, like the acapella at the end of Viva for example and it adds a lot to the song. The mysterious, brooding atmosphere rocks and Guy's baselines in addition to Johnny's haunting guitar lines really help make up for the repetitive, dragging lyrics. I get the feeling this song might be better without the lyrics, actually. I'd love to hear an instrumental version of this song actually.

4. Magic by a large disparity, it doesn't even come close to the others. The song is so simplistic and generically appealing that it borders on the insulting from a band like Coldplay. Not really much else to say. It made me see Paradise (previously my least favorite song by them) in a more positive light in comparison with this; I'm not sure if that's something I should appreciate or not.

1. Always In My Head. (It's the first time since the Viva era that I've fallen in love with a Coldplay song immediately. Can't say the same for anything on MX, or what's released officially off Ghost Stories so far.)

2. Midnight

3. Magic

4. Another's Arms

1. Always In My Head9/10

Classic Coldplay from the very beginning. It almost feels like the band reminding us of their beginnings. Simple lyrics and sound but what grabs me is the snowball build to the falsetto "always in my, always in my..."

2. Midnight8/10

Coldplay's "out of nowhere" song. Midnight is without a doubt the most out of the ordinary Coldplay song and I for one think it sounds phenomenal. It is missing the classic explosion toward the end, but the trance finale is just as powerful (when listening on some serious speakers). Also, best lyrics from any of the Ghost Stories songs as of now.

3. Oceans7/10

Oceans feels like a classic Coldplay song (much like Always In My Head). The simplistic sound really conveys the feeling of being lost and waiting for something you're not sure of. However, my problem with this song (or at least the version we've heard as of now) is that it feels unresolved. It feels like there is something missing from the track, but in it's defense the version we've heard is missing a minute and a half. The studio version is close to 6 minutes and I'm sure it will be good stuff.

4. Magic7/10

Easily the band's funkiest song by a mile. It takes elements from MUSE and classic R&B to create a simplistic love song with flair. Not the best lyrically, but man is it catchy.

5. Another's Arms5/10

Not the biggest fan of this one. It doesn't have very powerful lyrics or that special something that makes a Coldplay song different. It feels like a b-side that tried to sneak it's way onto the album. However, the final bridge/chorus is really moving with Chris harmonizing with the (I believe woman) ghost-ish voice.

Anyone who has been at the secret gigs who can rank all the songs?

Please if anyone can :D :D

1) Always in My Head - Wasn't a hit with me straight away but it never stops growing on me and I love it, its defo a Coldplay classic and I love the simply lyrics and has that Don't Panic feel to it

2) Midnight - Always loved it straight away, so different, so dark and ambient its mysterious nature compels me, i'll probably never get bored of this song!

3) Magic - Its a really good song, not going to be my favourite, would probably rank it around Paradise maybe slightly better, very catchy and has some moments I always look forward to 'No I don't, No I don't....' has a R&B feel to it and 'Wannnaaa ffaaalll, falll soooo faaarrrrr' gives me goosebumps every time :D

4) Another's arms - I really like this and its at the bottom of my list, that's how good Ghost Stories looks to me so far, love the vroom effect on the guitars, the haunting voice and Jonny's solo. The studio version is going to be amazing, lyrically the worst out of the 4 tracks but the atmosphere should more than make up for it :)

It's sooo difficult. I think Midnight is really amazing because it's such a different kind of song. Very experimental, mysterious lyrics. Awesome instruments. You can totally lose yourself in this song. Then comes Magic. Which is a beautiful, drum and bass driven ballad. Finally we hear Guy again. The lyrics are so simple but so beautiful. It's a song I can totally relate to and I love the instruments. The piano, the bass, the drum beat the beautiful parts of Jonny.

Always in my head is a classic! It was from the first time I heard it. My first thought was. THIS is Coldplay. THIS is what made them famous and what they're good at. Another beautiful love ballad. Simple but relatable lyrics. Typical Jonny Buckland guitar. Just a real Coldplay song (AROBTTH?) I loved this song from the first time I heard it.

Another's Arms. Again a love song but with a darker athmosphere, which I really like. I only feel it needs some more work. The woman's voice is really awesome and it's such a dreamy song. Love the solo (although I've heard better Jonny solo's).

So this is my ranking for now

1. Midnight (9.2)

2. Magic (9.1)

3. Always In My Head (9.0)

4. Another's Arms (8.0)

1. Always in My Head 9.5/10

Always in My Head has the sort of impact that Amsterdam has. Subtle guitar and a beautiful melody uplift it and the lyrics are heartfelt. "And so my mouth waters to be fed/ You're always in my head." And I can only imagine the studio version is going to be amazing. Personally, I think this has the potential be #2 on my best album openers.

2. Midnight 7/10

Midnight was an instant love for me. The subtle (thats a key word here) beat and the dark swirls of Chris' voice reminds me Everything is in it's Right Place by Radiohead. Perfect production, though I wish there was a bit more going on or one more verse. That said, obviously thats just because I love the emotion in Chris' voice.

3. Magic 6.5/10

Oh, magic. I loved the song when I first listened to it. And then I didn't mind it the second time. And the process repeated it self over and over again until I decided it was good. And that is what it is. Better than okay, worse than great. It's missing the impactful, heartfelt that makes Coldplay Coldplay. Even the worse MX stuff had that. With that said, the production was amazing and the chorus is flat out perfect. The verses are what kill me. Once the middle eight starts, the song redeems itself and for me, its on repeat a lot.

4. Another's Arms 4/10

I liked this song when I heard it first, but that was then and this is now. It sucks. And I mean the one live performance I listened too. It may be a 5/10 or even 6/10. Maybe even more. But that performance was blah. I blame the song, not the band because they were killer the whole concert but this one song. I personally dont mind the angel voice sample, but the lyrics are just crap. Jonny saves the song, but seriously, give me Paradise or ETDIAWF over this. However, comparing this to PoC, this rocks.