✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[25-Apr] E-Werk, Cologne, Germany - Links in 1st post -SHOW TIME 9PM (GERMAN TIME)

Jenjie

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been a while since I logged in, but just been listening to the E Werk show and gotta admit these songs sound absolutely amazing! I loved MX a lot but this is just really nice to hear for a change!

Wasn't fond of Midnight at first listen but live it sounds amazing :D

did they play midnight with the light organ in cologne??? because in badenbaden they didn't, but at itunes they did!

yep, there were even 2 laser harps :D

although i think that was chris did was for more for show effects than him actually playing something :D

At the beginning of this year every Coldplay fan was in some state of hibernation when suddenly the band announced they will play the iTunes Festival in Austin. The same festival I saw them for the first time in an intimate setting three years ago at the Roundhouse in London. I was really excited as they played 4 new songs from their upcoming album Ghost Stories. Two weeks after that show they played the entire album live in a secret place in Los Angeles for a TV broadcast set to be aired just before the new album. Nobody was allowed to film or record in there. You can see the trailer for that broadcast on the Coldplay website.

You could tell something was up and everyone was asking themselves: “When do they come back to Europe?”. So on a beautiful Thursday in April I was walking outside with my brother when my friend Frans was calling me. I instantly got the feeling that maybe there was big news and I wasn't disappointed. Coldplay are doing a promotional tour for their new album. Six shows around the world. The first of those six in Cologne, Germany. Overload, overload. How the hell are we going to get tickets? As the capacity of this show is only 2,000 people the demand will be so high. An hour before the ticket sale we were already molesting our F5 buttons. What if? What if we get tickets. Well, we did get tickets. I couldn't be happier. We are so lucky. So many fans couldn't get tickets. Did we really deserve this? I didn't had much time to think cause 30 minutes after that I was already in line at our local record store for the Record Store Day release of the new single Midnight. I got 4 of them for me and my friends so my day could not get any better.

The concert was so close too, only a week after the announcement. So there it was, Thursday evening, the night before the concert. I was already in Breda at my friend’s house as it is a bit closer then my home. We stood up at 6 am and off we went to Cologne. We never really realized how close Cologne was by train. We’ll definitely come back when they will properly tour the album. So we checked in our hotel at around 11:30 and walked to the venue. The location is so weird. We were walking through this really old and industrial neighbourhood which reminded me a bit of the Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall video. And there it was, the E-Werk. Luckily there where only a few fans waiting in front of the stairs leading to the front doors. A Dutch fan immediately recognized us as fans from The Netherlands because of our plastic bag. Her name was Ellen, I recognized you from the photo in this thread. Was very nice to meet you!

The waiting in line was for the most part pretty boring as usual. And as if it was tradition of course the sun would come out and get really hot. I think I got a sunburn at 4 of the 6 concerts I attended. But luckily it wasn't that bad. I also met Fabian who I will hopefully meet again this summer as we found out we both are going to the Arcade Fire concert in Berlin! Nice to meet you too.

The doors went open at 7:30. An hour before that it was getting really busy at the place. There was some trouble with the queuing and which door was for which kind of tickets but we managed to be in the front. The doors went open and of course the first thing we did was run! We were hoping to get a nice place left to the stage as we saw on the iTunes Festival broadcast that Chris’ piano would be there. And we got what we wanted! Only 1,5 hours left. While we were waiting for the concert to start we also met two girls from the Netherlands who were behind us, didn't ask for names but maybe you will see this post?

The stage was beautiful. Chris’ new piano, the synthesizers, the stars hanging from the ceiling, the trees with stars in them. The atmosphere of it was kind of Magic, see what I did there. The venue was also something I haven’t seen before. It was an old factory or something, quite similar to the Westergasfabriek in Amsterdam only square.

And then suddenly the show started. No 99 problems, no Back to the Future theme, no Life in Technicolor or Mylo Xyloto as an intro. Just the guys walking on stage. And it was fantastic. Seeing them again up close, it’s so intimate.

They started off with new song Always In My Head. Great song to start the concert with, I love the last lyric: “This, I guess, is to tell you you’re chosen out from the rest”. Chris wasn't paying a lot of attention to the front row but a lot of fans were already singing the lyrics.

Then boom, Charlie Brown. Doesn't matter they don’t have Xylobands anymore to light up the room. The song is just as energetic and powerful as during the Mylo Xyloto tour and we were jumping and singing as hard as we can. There was something wrong with the piano so we couldn't hear the end part as Chris was making gestures something wasn't on. But shortly after they started Paradise. Not really my favorite but the crowd was loving it.

The new hit single, Magic! I love the bass groove and Jonny’s guitar playing. Beautiful song and the extended outro was amazing too with Chris playing the “Ooh” part melody on acoustic. After that Chris went back to his piano for Clocks and as always they aced it. We were singing as loud as we could and they were loving it.

Third new song, Midnight. It’s so much different from what they have done before. You like it or you don’t and I happen to be in the first category. Chris was sitting down on the stage and his singing was just perfect. As the song progressed both Chris and Guy where playing the laser harp. Which is a cool addition. You can see and hear Guy really plays the bass part with it but what Chris was doing was just show which was OK for me as he was singing on top of it.

Straight after another new song called Another’s Arms. Great song and lovely guitar solo from Jonny. Was really cool to see his guitar playing up close. I love this song too, the lyrics not that much, but It has a really nice vibe to it.

Viva La Vida, of course, they have to play it. As we we’re screaming the lyrics Chris looked me and Frans right in the eyes and pointed to us which was really awesome. Haven’t listen to this song in a while but at a concert It’s always a guarantee for joy! It’s not like at stadium gigs but the crowd was singing at the top of their lungs.

Then Fix You which was beautiful as always with the incredible ending. Goosebumps every time. After Fix You, new song Oceans. Which is the quiet acoustic song of the album. It reminds me of Spies, Us Against The World and a little bit of Atlas. Will playing a kind of radar sound, as if you are at sea, and Chris singing beautiful falsetto and singing “I’m ready for the pain. So meet under blue sky, meet me again, in the rain”. Jonny playing a haunting slide guitar part. It’s a lovely song, love it very much.

Just like during the Mylo Xyloto tour the show ended with Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall. Lasers, Confetti, and shouting the lyrics! Still a great track, and Chris’ voice is much better when he is not walking around and dancing like crazy. Really great ending.

But of course It’s not over. The boys came back, and Chris explains the radio broadcast of the show is now over. And the upcoming songs are just for us. He asks us not to record anything from this part and put it on YouTube. If we don’t we will get an exclusive. Everyone was clapping, and putting their thumbs up! I already knew which song they were going to play but more on that later. First they played God Put A Smile Upon Your Face. For me the first time they played it almost like the album version. Only that Chris was playing his part on a telecaster instead of acoustic. Then The Scientist, classic as always. And at last… The surprise.

Chris asked us again: “Please don’t record this”. And then they played their new track: A Sky Full Of Stars. Which, according to people who heard it at one of the special shows in Los Angeles, will be their new hit single. We heard already some tiny bits as they were soundchecking it before the show. It was so special to hear the song for the first time in a place like this. But besides that I wasn't that impressed. I had that with more songs so maybe it will grow on me but it’s not an instant favorite. The song is like a more dance-y version of Every Teardrop Of Waterfall with Jonny playing the melody on guitar. Chris has some beautiful vocal melodies, his singing was absolutely perfect, but instrumental wise nothing stood out for me. Can’t wait to hear the studio version though.

Show is over. Back to reality. But of course the adventure wasn’t over! I wasn’t expecting it but Matt McGinn, Jonny’s guitar tech, gave Jonny’s setlist to a security guard and pointed to I think one of the fans next to me but the security guard gave it to me! What a perfect gift! I’m going to frame it next week. As a lot of people where asking to take a picture of it we were walking outside maybe trying to meet them. But we had no luck. We thought we saw the vans they would jump into but we later found out that the vans were not for them.

Back to the hotel. And the next day back to the Netherlands. What a perfect gig it was. They were soundchecking A Rush Of Blood To The Head and on the setlist was Atlas instead of God Put A Smile Upon Your Face. But we aren’t allowed to complain I think. We are so lucky to see them from so close. So many fans never get the chance to see them at all. The next day a few fans also met Chris, Jonny and Will at their hotel. We are really jealous but maybe someday we will get the chance too. I would love to tell them how much their music means to me and that I wish the best for them.

In two months they’re playing the Royal Albert Hall in London so maybe see some of you there again? Although I don’t think I have any luck left to get tickets.

2.jpg

14.jpg

19.jpg

Well it's a little late so I'm not going to post an entire review ( there are a lot already and I don't think I have anything else to add than to say it was so amazing!:)

I managed to get a spot right in front of Guy which was awesome. I remember him sitting down on a chair during Oceans. That was really cute, seeing him sit right in front of me while Chris was playing. I loved all the interaction Chris had with the crowd and their laugh moments among themselves. They really seemed to enjoy it as much as we enjoyed them! :)

GPASUYF and ASFOS were highlights for me! When Chris said , ''we'll play some older songs'' everyone went wild and as soon as GPASUYF kicked in the same happened! It was really awesome they brought back the old version of GPASUYF (A lot of headbanging in this one haha, well, at least I was doing it haha!) GPASUYF really rocked the hell out of that place!

And at the end ASFOS ofcourse. No body knew that song but everybody went wild. It was just impossible to stand still. I went crazy of happiness and I was jumping and clapping and screaming I couldn't contain myself anymore! What an amazing night!

Oh and I almost forgot. I think Chris was looking at us and pointed at us at the end of AIMH! I was in heaven!

You can see it in my vid, aroud 0:22

[video=youtube;qtk6C3u48Ek]

More of my pics and videos here:

10325332_518818641573893_6332944187012912770_n.jpg

1911668_518328298289594_7096408997255364570_n.jpg

1907616_622978551127315_9197524209737844326_n.jpg

1012565_622978584460645_3618338848265489120_n.jpg

10277713_622978571127313_8161665679457180283_n.jpg

Hey Coldplayers!!

I posted this in the NYC show thread, but here goes: SOOOO STOKED to have bought tickets, they sold out in LESS THAN A MINUTE so I bought them on Stubhub for over $400...... yikes. But so worth it.

Anyways, I wanted to ask you all for your opinions, do you think that there will be roadies pulling fans down to the front like they usually do??? Im currently creating a t-shirt for the show in hopes it'll catch a roadie's eyes and bring me down from the balcony... worked last time...

I posted in the NYC show thread, but wanted to ask you all that went to the show in Cologne, were there roadies pulling fans down to the front for the show?? Im going to the NYC show and Im making a t-shirt in hopes of being pulled from the balcony seats..... fingers crossed?

I posted in the NYC show thread, but wanted to ask you all that went to the show in Cologne, were there roadies pulling fans down to the front for the show?? Im going to the NYC show and Im making a t-shirt in hopes of being pulled from the balcony seats..... fingers crossed?

We didn't have seats in this show, all the people were squished together, so no, that didn't happen. You'd only come to the first row if you came very early (like 9 am).

they sold out in LESS THAN A MINUTE
Lucky! For us they sold out in TWO SECONDS :lol::freak:

I'm still overwhelmed by this beautiful concert in the E-Werk in Cologne...

I'm looking forward so much to the new album. But I think still that most of the songs are live much much better than on CD... I hope so much that Coldplay return soon for the next concert in Cologne in Rhein-Energie-Stadium or so...

I hope so much that Coldplay return soon for the next concert in Cologne in Rhein-Energie-Stadium or so...
I think they will. During every era they did stop at least one time in Cologne. The Kölsch fans are too nice to be neglected! :lol:

You're welcome :-)

Yes, he seems to mean me :) I pushed the button of my camera in the right moment...

I'm usually not able to take any photos because I'm too busy fangirling all over the place :laugh3::embarrassed:

Normally I don't take photos because I usually don't come as close to the stage as in this concert... ;)

Where were you standind?

Were you able to get one of the tour t-shirts? I've missed it because I was so focussed to get a good place in front of the stage...

Normally I don't take photos because I usually don't come as close to the stage as in this concert... ;)

Where were you standind?

Were you able to get one of the tour t-shirts? I've missed it because I was so focussed to get a good place in front of the stage...

I was standing in front row :D But then again I came at 10 in the morning and was waiting the whole day in front of the gates :dead:

Yeah I got a shirt! You could get one at the end of the show, there were two little stands that sold them. One of them cost 30€ though :sick:

I was standing in front row :D But then again I came at 10 in the morning and was waiting the whole day in front of the gates :dead:

Yeah I got a shirt! You could get one at the end of the show, there were two little stands that sold them. One of them cost 30€ though :sick:

I was standing in the second row in the middle between jonny and chris, so still very good :) I would have never thought that I can come so close to the stage, it was really fantastic!!!

For a shirt I'd have paid also more than that but I haven't bought one because I haven't seen the two little stands... Now I'm trying to convince anybody to bring me one from one of the other shows... Perhaps somebody is willing to help me, I hope so...