✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

To be honest it is mentioned in a number of biographies of their early years as one of the things that was determined after the Will kickout deaster :)

none of which are reliable or official. even now, coldplay are known as a band who split their money equally. this special split is only on song writing royalties. also i think song writing royalties is not where bands make their money now a days. to me this is nothing more than whining over a lot of assumptions.

edit: diluted the post :)

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

none of which are reliable or official. even now, coldplay are known as a band who split their money equally. this special split is only on song writing royalties. also i think song writing royalties is not where bands make their money now a days. to me this is nothing more than whining over a lot of assumptions.

Yes. Chris even mentioned it himself on an interview sometime (I think last year if I recall correctly) stating that the money is split 40-20-20-20 only for song writing. Everything else is split equally therefore Coldplay is known to be a band to split their money equally.

To be honest it is mentioned in a number of biographies of their early years as one of the things that was determined after the Will kickout deaster :)

hmm are you sure? For example.. what biographies? Did Chris mention it himself that even the song writing royalties were split equally in Coldplay's earlier days? I never came across such a biography.... as @gai mentioned those biographies are most likely unofficial and were never confirmed by Chris Martin himself. We all know you really shouldn't trust those. :P

But, seriously, do you in fact have any real evidence proving that the band originally, in their early days, split the money equally in every situation? Because if you do, I'd be glad to know. :D

I thought a lot of the income after a band retires does come from royalties through song-writing credits...

I thought a lot of the income after a band retires does come from royalties through song-writing credits...

true, but we are talking about an active, one of the current biggest touring artists.

Just an update, here's an interesting article I found.

I know, at first it appears like nothing Coldplay-related, but go down to about halfway in the first section, Money.

Curiously, this source states that the songwriting credit is distributed equally.

Remember, we're talking about songwriting credit at the moment. Not other types of credit. Just songwriting credit.

This is in contrast to Chris' interview which states that the songwriting credit is actually split 40-20-20-20.

Anyone find this kind of off? And interesting at the same time? This source is stating something completely different than what Chris said. The source said that the songwriting (remember, it's just songwriting credit, not other types of credit, because as we all know those royalties are split equally and that's the consensus). credit is equal, yet Chris' interview said it was split differently.

Please do keep in mind that Chris' interview was just before the GS era started to get going (I think it was around then? :D), yet this website post was posted near the end of February of this year... this is interesting for sure. Maybe something changed between now and then, and they in fact did resort to equal credit-splitting. Maybe Chris' word is still more trustable than a website source, and maybe it is still split somewhat in Chris' favor. This is certainly interesting.

Any thoughts?

^ not a reliable source. even some of the most reputable music media wouldn't know of this arrangement coldplay has, although i remember chris talking about this at least in 2 separate interviews so far.

Damn it, the band is so quiet this thread's basically become about their credits/shares until a new rumor sparks joy

:lol: LOL you're completely right... this thread has slipped off-topic without any of us noticing. That's how sad this thread has become, we're talking about something completely unrelated... quite funny actually :P

This thread was once well and alive with on-topic pics from India, now it's looking like just before those times, talking about unrelated stuff while we wait because there really is no news as of now.

[emoji38] LOL you're completely right... this thread has slipped off-topic without any of us noticing. That's how sad this thread has become, we're talking about something completely unrelated... quite funny actually [emoji14]

This thread was once well and alive with on-topic pics from India, now it's looking like just before those times, talking about unrelated stuff while we wait because there really is no news as of now.

News about that video has to be coming soon. No way they shoot a video in mid September for use in November or December. I mean, I suppose they could but I think it's unlikely. I think we will see something by October 30 the latest. Not trying to hype people up, that's just me speculating. Could be the 16th, the 23rd, or the 30th. I have honestly gotten so tired of waiting for something every single week since the end of July, its become extremely exhausting. I have no expectations and am just going to live life and see what happens. That being said I still think that something will come in 3 weeks or so, but I will not be disappointed if doesn't. Put it this way, if the rumors happen to be true about a tour starting in November, then we will see a surprise release this month. But only time will tell.

@cp:The Howard Stern interview was actually around the release of Mylo Xyloto if I remember correctly. I knew it only refers to royalties and not touring, in fact I also mentioned that myself in an earlier post of mine. :)

What I'm just trying to say is with the fortune they all have it's actually completely unnecessary for Chris to go for even more money and I stay with my personal opinion that it doesn't make him look good there. It would have been nicer of keeping this early ideal of equality between the band members alive, for Coldplay basically grew up with it.

The equal split in earlier days, I read about it in written biographies like "Viva Coldplay" and online, but I'm sure it goes down to an interview with Chris or the band at that time. I'm gonna find this out for you and post a link when I find the time.

On a completely different note, and I know I partially posted this elsewhere already, does anyone want to speculate what sounds will be in the new album?

I think it will incorporate these elements:

1) part of it will have adult contemporary pop elements based on their sound in Miracles, Gone But Not F Cotton and Amazing Day. Think 90's pop eg Elton John, Bryan Adams, film soundtracks, and also touches of Robbie Williams, Train and the Beatles-type vibe /style.

2) I hope to hear some Indian +/- Middle Eastern influences in terms of instruments, rhythmic elements and harmonic structures. They have referenced these in the past but really seem to be pointing towards heavy Indian influences for AHFOD

3) a return to the emphasis on clean lines and beautiful musicianship (even at loud volumes) and less on gadgetry... All their recent songs and performances feature really prominent main lines by each of the lads in their main instruments, eg Jonny's lead and Guy's bass on the GCF Yellow performance, Chris' piano bassline + other's guitar in Amazing Day, beautiful lines in Ghost Story, Miracles etc. I think Oldplayers may have reason to rejoice - while not a return to early era Coldplay, I think this is a progression on the Parachute/AROBTTH sound and follows that alt-rock style too! :D

here's an interesting article I found.[/url]

:thumbsup: Thanks for this article, I really enjoyed reading it (inaccuracy on the Coldplay 'fact' aside)! And I think the article does illustrate quite well how CP have continued to last for this long... They have virtually resolved all the issues highlighted in the article well before these had an opportunity to become problematic.

Damn it, the band is so quiet this thread's basically become about their credits/shares until a new rumor sparks joy

We're all wanting a release so badly that we unconsciously move off-topic discussion onto this thread. ;)

I'd wait for A Head Full of Dreams til kingdom come... until my days are done...

@ov3la Not another Monday! ;) I think Fridays are more likely but we might get a tease, the full single audio on YouTube, or a random secret gig at a tiny club in London in which the band plays the entire new album with special guests Jonny Greenwood and Richard Ashcroft. With the band being this quiet, we just don't know. :D

While we're waiting for new releases, I have an honest question for you. It is: Do you believe Coldplay's better days / peak are over ? Cause that's what I think and that's why I don't expect a lot from AHFOD. Don't go flaming for this question, I'm just interested in whether you have the same feeling or not ?

While we're waiting for new releases, I have an honest question for you. It is: Do you believe Coldplay's better days / peak are over ? Cause that's what I think and that's why I don't expect a lot from AHFOD. Don't go flaming for this question, I'm just interested in whether you have the same feeling or not ?

It really depends on what kind of music you want.After all AHFOD is their last album for awhile so i do have high hopes for it,hopefully there are some great songs that will become classics

Not really. They're changing their style and honestly I really like the direction they are heading. Also, I don't think their peak has past because their peak isn't chronological for me. To explain, I don't think that they are continuously getting better or the other way around. I sorta liked Parachutes then loved AROBTTH then disliked X&Y and then loved VLVODAAHF and so on. So for me they don't really have "better days", just better albums.

Hope it makes sense lol. I'm not really good at writing long and logical arguments because I'm not native.

Guest diogo_sg

This thread has really gotten off topic. It should be renamed "Radiohead Appreciation/Band's Royalties Discussion". Not complaining, just noticing.