✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

Chris has said it's a 40-20-20-20 split during the Howard Stern interview.

Somehow I completely missed this in the Mylo Xyloto era. It's weirdly worrying that they went from 25% each to Chris getting 40% credit. I think it's reflected in their music after Viva. MX and Ghost Stories both have songs which I think wouldn't have passed “Will's seal of approval" if he had an equal say. Brian eno had worked perfectly with each band member to make Viva what it was. From there on, I think it has been others supporting Chris's ideas which can be reflected in their music. I personally don't like this development and I hope that the new record changes it.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's my random thoughts on the new album. I think Coldplay usually has a movie soundtrack song or a sorta.. side song, such as 'Christmas Lights' - that would come out a bit before a new album would be released.

Those songs always hint to the new sound. Like...after hearing Atlas- I knew Coldplay was gonna try more serious..down tempo songs on their next CD- which they did.

And before that- it was 'Christmas Lights' and ...it's even hard to pinpoint how to describe that sound- but sure enough- the new album sounded like that.

And after 'Miracles' - I'm expecting that pop-clean sound. Which...I don't like the sound of 'pop' and 'clean' ...in a vague term kinda way. But Miracles, to me, is a damn good song. I love it.

So...my body is ready. Although, Amazing Day wasn't amazing to me. But it sounded similar to ...Always In My Head, and I didn't care for the live version of that either.

Those slower tempo songs...with thump- need to be felt. And when I watch a youtube video of a live version of that kind of song....not gonna sound good.

I agree that fans have right to be worried after hearing Miracles and Amazing Day, but these songs might not even give a bit of a hint how the full album is going to sound.

Instead of being worried, i'm excited to hear how Coldplay uses Stargate to evolve sound for this record. I'm sure there is a certain reason why they hired Stargate and there is a lot of interesting things coming out of it. Just now is not the right time judge Coldplay and Stargate collaboration, i think. We can do that soon :)

And interestingly i can say that somehow Ghost Stories has become the album which i enjoy listening to the most right now, although at first i didn't like it at all.

By the way, that Chris made it 40-20-20-20 some years ago instead of their early 25-25-25-25 indicates for me that he has grown to care a lot more about the money than earlier. For me, this totally fits with driving the band to become as commercial as can be. It's such a shame that all idealism seems to be lost along the way when people/bands become famous.

If I remember well, he said in the Howard Stern interview that the rights for music are on a 40-20-20-20 basis.

All the rest is 25-25-25-25.

Beach House announced today a new album that is going to be released on October 16th. Two months ago they released another album. I guess that is what many here are expecting is going to be the case for LP7. The band will come out one day and post on Facebook that the album will be released imminently. I highly doubt it. I think that we will get some sort of tease first either from the band or through the press.

Yeah.. and I so happy about beach house hahahaha. Like....woooooow and I enjoyed a lot depression cherry, blue bird especially

40-20-20-20[/url] some years ago instead of their early 25-25-25-25 indicates for me that he has grown to care a lot more about the money than earlier. For me, this totally fits with driving the band to become as commercial as can be. It's such a shame that all idealism seems to be lost along the way when people/bands become famous.

Can I point out something? Whenever this change happened and whatever the details, it wouldn't have just been CM's decision... I'm pretty sure the whole band had a say and agreed to the change overall - you can't just go out and claim a bigger share of the profits without all the other involved parties agreeing to it first, particularly if you originally only had 25% say ;)

Plus everyone seems pretty at ease with the decision... Could it have been some of the band members wanted a bit of a break / to step back their involvement in whatever aspects (eg they've all started having kids) therefore Chris stepped up and took on a bigger role? Also, this change might be temporary - It certainly more suits GS given the personal nature of the album... The question then is, which came first, bigger involvement or bigger share of returns? Also, has PH's return gradually changed the balance within the band?

I even wonder whether Chris had much of a choice in this - his life is now more distanced from the band so it might be a matter of being practical with the best way to create music... Also was it a case of him needing to increase band involvement otherwise the band call it quits as too much commitment was required at the time?

Just putting out some personal thoughts... Hope nothing offends :)

If I remember well, he said in the Howard Stern interview that the rights for music are on a 40-20-20-20 basis.

All the rest is 25-25-25-25.

Yes, it regards the song royalties. I think for their profit from touring etc. they still have an equal split.

And @gentleparachute, of course the rest of the band must have agreed but I still find it a move that doesn't make Chris look very good there, to say the least. Even if it reflected higher involvement with songwriting or something, with the fortune he has he simply doesn't need that extra.

But the 40-20-20-20 change was not made for GS, it was in effect at the latest already for MX (might have been earlier, but the interview is shortly after the release of MX)

Does anybody else feel that the band knows that we're craving some official info about AHFOD or a new single and that is why they've been tweeting a lot lately? To tease us and make our hearts skip a beat whenever we see that "@Coldplay just tweeted" notification...

I don't like that "clean" pop sound on Miracles, but since this too has been produced by Stargate it is reasonable to assume we're gonna hear more of this... :/

I can't believe I'm hearing so much hate on Miracles. That song...where do I begin. I feel that one thing Coldplay has lost...is swagger. And that's vague, so let me put it another way. The best parts of Ghost Stories to me- were well put together, production-wise, and Chris had the very soothing vocals. Basically, as of all later albums, the best Coldplay can do is soothe me. Aside from- Christmas Lights- a little bit of that had swagger- and- Hurts Like Heaven. But neither of those songs matched the swagger that was In My Place. The way Chris was yelling out...in the end of In My Place- I never hear that side of Chris anymore...except on Miracles. It's like he went into that recording booth and just...gave it everything he had. And went to ...another place. But that's just how I describe it.

It's hard to decipher Coldplay at this point . I mean when they came out to play two festivals, it's true that they wore new outfits, had an Indian-themed set, and debuted a new song... but I think there's something missing. I don't know if they will add more designs on stage when they finally announce the album or what they presented to us is just a form of a tease... can't tell what they're up to right? Maybe it's some sort of a warm up for the upcoming tour... too many possibilities. And yes I would like to add that Chris did say that they no longer care about what people think but I don't think they lost the swagger to create a good album. Maybe they wandered far enough from their alternative rock sound but it doesn't mean that their previous efforts are crap. One might say they won't make another Rush of Blood or Viva or something on that level but I think all their albums had a unique style and appeal.

And no, I'm not worried about their sound even if Stargate produced it. I'm much worried about the increasing number of Coldplayers loosing their patience :laugh3:

I can't believe I'm hearing so much hate on Miracles. That song...where do I begin. I feel that one thing Coldplay has lost...is swagger. And that's vague, so let me put it another way. The best parts of Ghost Stories to me- were well put together, production-wise, and Chris had the very soothing vocals. Basically, as of all later albums, the best Coldplay can do is soothe me. Aside from- Christmas Lights- a little bit of that had swagger- and- Hurts Like Heaven. But neither of those songs matched the swagger that was In My Place. The way Chris was yelling out...in the end of In My Place- I never hear that side of Chris anymore...except on Miracles. It's like he went into that recording booth and just...gave it everything he had. And went to ...another place. But that's just how I describe it.

I feel you man. :)

Well I respect that but for me Miracles it is indeed good but it lacks of creative and the melody felt poor, its just that looks like a pop rock soundtrack for a movie... where is the daylight in there, where is the square one in there or death and all of his friends or spies or even clocks... I mean its good but nothing special, it really looks like a soundtrack for a movie, everything its so... I don't know simple.... but that is just my opinion you know. For me coldplay is the top 1 from my bands but it is before mylo, from mylo to now... its just felt like something is missing (but GS was way better than Mx for me haha, had more soul).. but Im really hopefull for LP7

We just have to hold on a little longer. By the end of October we'll have a new single' date=' we are almost there. [emoji18'][emoji18][emoji18]

Well, hopefully, at least...

That's only a prediction. That could turn out to be completely false and we could all be majorly disappointed...

Unless you got word from the band themselves?

from mylo to now... its just felt like something is missing

Funnily I agree. I absolutely love Mylo in every aspect. (Minus a couple over-produced songs, and Major Minus). It's my favorite album of Coldplay... but it seems like their previous works seemed to have something that the new ones don't. It seems to be much deeper... I don't know what it is. It might be the insecurity theme that makes you think more than the happy theme of MX that is more deep. Not to hate on MX because it's still my favorite album.

Not really, I think that's actually very generous of Chris considering the astronomical difference there is in some bands in regards to song royalties for songwriters and non songwriters.

Wasn't Guy the highest paid musician in like 2009 or something? (I could be wrong about this)....Even back when it was 25 each (only a 5% difference now vs then), it's not like the others were struggling...