✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

We're well aware of the band's inner workings and their interpersonal relationships. There is a reason royalties are shared 40-20-20-20, with Chris taking most of the credit. The way I see it he is responsible for everything apart from other members' own contribution to layer up the song in the production process.

I wouldn't call the other members session musicians but they're not far off. Their individual contribution to the overall act of Coldplay (remember we're not talking about just the music) is noticeably less than what we see with most other rock bands out there.

I've called it before and I think if they were to continue after LP7, they need to seriously rethink the core dynamism within the band. Whether Will, Jonny and Guy are at all capable of actually writing songs on their own I'm not so sure. But change is definitely needed, and I'm glad Guy confirmed my thoughts during their BBC interview with Jo Whiley.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sometimes I get kinda angry because I feel Coldplay has clearly sold its soul. But that's as far as I'll comment here, don't wanna provoke the well-known Oldplay vs. newplay battle again.

I know you feel that Oldplay's work is better than Newplay, and there are in fact a lot of their older works that are much deeper, and agreeing with gentleparachute it has become more produced which isn't the worst thing in the world, but they still haven't sold their soul yet. Just because they've changed to pop doesn't mean they've sold their soul, Coldplay has turned pop into something great to listen to IMO. I agree with the people above me.

We're well aware of the band's inner workings and their interpersonal relationships. There is a reason royalties are shared 40-20-20-20, with Chris taking most of the credit. The way I see it he is responsible for everything apart from other members' own contribution to layer up the song in the production process.

I wouldn't call the other members session musicians but they're not far off. Their individual contribution to the overall act of Coldplay (remember we're not talking about just the music) is noticeably less than what we see with most other rock bands out there.

I've called it before and I think if they were to continue after LP7, they need to seriously rethink the core dynamism within the band. Whether Will, Jonny and Guy are at all capable of actually writing songs on their own I'm not so sure. But change is definitely needed, and I'm glad Guy confirmed my thoughts during their BBC interview with Jo Whiley.

I would disagree.

Yes, Chris is the driving force of the band...

But there's being a frontman, and then there's being a selfish dick. He's not the latter.

Though Guy might've spoken out, I personally think that without Guy, Jonny and Will this band wouldn't be what is is.

I know, veeeery cliché thing to say. But we owe an awful lot to them. Just because Chris is more active and seen everywhere, it doesn't mean that the others are just in the background like this.

Song credits go to all four of them.

Telling by the liner notes on every record, I don't think it's 40-20-20-20,

but 25-25-25-25.

And let's be honest here... Ghost Stories is the first record in YEARS where finally the other guys fully shine.

The session musician comment is pretty harsh IMO. Though Chris does seem pushed to the front a bit, I highly doubt he is.

I think that Jonny, Guy and Will's contribution is being hugely understated. While it is true that the split is 40-20-20-20 (since Chris usually comes up with a song that only needs to be dressed up), don't assume that is always the case (for instance, Magic) and that such percentages cannot be modified for those cases.

Guest howyousawtheworld
I think Coldplay will release a tease today, for example a pic, 10 seconds of a song, or something else..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32472[/ATTACH]

And let's be honest here... Ghost Stories is the first record in YEARS where finally the other guys fully shine.

Wow, I couldn't disagree more, personally GS is the one album where I think the band fell short on highlighting the rest of the guys. It's all Chris for me, aside from Jonny's solo in True Love, and Guys bass in Magic, no instrumental part really grabbed on on the album, though I enjoyed Midnight a lot, that wasn't even really composed by the band.

Coldplay are doing a pretty terrible job at promoting this album, IF they want to promote it, anyway. Problem is, EVERYONE is stating that the album is coming this fall but NOT the band, that's acting like nothing is really happening. They didn't even talked about Amazing Day, not one word. It's weird.

Wow, I couldn't disagree more, personally GS is the one album where I think the band fell short on highlighting the rest of the guys. It's all Chris for me, aside from Jonny's solo in True Love, and Guys bass in Magic, no instrumental part really grabbed on on the album, though I enjoyed Midnight a lot, that wasn't even really composed by the band.

I really do agree with you... even though GS is pretty good to me it seems to be mostly Chris as compared to other albums. Someone said on here that Coldplay seems to be at their best when there's something to focus on other than Chris singing. Of course you can focus on Chris' singing but you can also focus on something else, the two of those tracks work togehter. Mostly GS really didn't have any of that (not counting ASFOS). I still really like GS though. It's pretty underrated IMO. But you can't deny that it's no better than AROBTTH.