✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's not even that, more so their reluctance to put all their quality work on the album. Imagine GS if the Target exclusives were placed on the album's regular release. It would have been a MUCH stronger album imo.

The "42 minute" rule is a stupid self regulation that doesn't make any sense when you think about it. Would an author have a "300 page" rule when they start out on writing a novel? Of course not as the story might not be expressed properly in that amount of pages. An album is the exact same. Artistic restrictions only hamper creativity.

For the GS one, I do agree in that it'd make the length of the album longer. But we'd have to re arrange Fly On at the end of the album, because that song fits best at the end of the album. The songs in the deluxe edition are like the GS ones tho: good, but not great. All Your Friends is pretty good but it's not great. Ghost Story is a very good song since it has that raw sound into it we all love... but it certainly isn't the best track, The album could be greatly improved just by replacing ASFOS with Atlas IMO... Atlas fits much better in that place than ASFOS.

As for the 42 minute rule, I completely agree. It's stupid and pointless really... AROBTTH would be much worse if it got cut from 55 min to 42 min... and if Amsterdam and AROBTTH had to be sacrificed that would make AROBTTH a lamer album. AROBTTH is NOT complete with Amsterdam... what a gorgeous song, with gorgeous lyrics, with a gorgeous buildup to the upbeat section... it's in the top 3 of AROBTTH, that's for sure. There is not one flaw I can find in it.

If anything, they should revise that rule so that the albums have to be longer than 42 minutes as to not limit the potential of the album and it's creators... a proper story can't be told if the album's less than 42 minutes long really. It would feel incomplete.

Some fans have been giving the band a lot of schtick about their EDM direction of late. Does anyone think they might combine it with their Oldplay tuneful guitar sound and come up with music that sounds like Amnesiac and Hail To The Theif-era tunes for AHFOD?

Guy and Will have come a long way and are lately sounding like they've reached early 2000's Radiohead, the band have been trying electronic flourishes and we've been moaning about the loss of their guitar tunes / old atmospheric sounds... I think it would be great! They'd of course sound happier and hopeful rather than Radiohead's doom and gloom/ angry snarls :D

For the GS one, I do agree in that it'd make the length of the album longer. But we'd have to re arrange Fly On at the end of the album, because that song fits best at the end of the album. The songs in the deluxe edition are like the GS ones tho: good, but not great. All Your Friends is pretty good but it's not great. Ghost Story is a very good song since it has that raw sound into it we all love... but it certainly isn't the best track, The album could be greatly improved just by replacing ASFOS with Atlas IMO... Atlas fits much better in that place than ASFOS.

As for the 42 minute rule, I completely agree. It's stupid and pointless really... AROBTTH would be much worse if it got cut from 55 min to 42 min... and if Amsterdam and AROBTTH had to be sacrificed that would make AROBTTH a lamer album. AROBTTH is NOT complete with Amsterdam... what a gorgeous song, with gorgeous lyrics, with a gorgeous buildup to the upbeat section... it's in the top 3 of AROBTTH, that's for sure. There is not one flaw I can find in it.

If anything, they should revise that rule so that the albums have to be longer than 42 minutes as to not limit the potential of the album and it's creators... a proper story can't be told if the album's less than 42 minutes long really. It would feel incomplete.

Just imagine what amazing songs we haven't heard, when Rainy Day, Moving to Mars and Ghost Story didn't 'make ' their respective albums. :whaaat: I bet there are other incredible songs that barely got left off albums since the 42 minute rule.

I don't think more songs needs to mean less quality at all. That's an awfully large assumption. :thinking: Add 12 minutes (from 43 min to 55) in the form of Atlas, GS and All Your Friends to GS is a completely different (and much better) album to me. :nod:

I'd rather have too many than miss out on some on AHFoD

I think AROBTTH should be out of the picture because the 42 minute rule existed after X&Y. And as far as I know, that rule came into existence because X&Y just became too long. That album is great but I think they can still exclude 2 songs from that album to make it more cohesive and less draggy.

I think AROBTTH should be out of the picture because the 42 minute rule existed after X&Y. And as far as I know, that rule came into existence because X&Y just became too long. That album is great but I think they can still exclude 2 songs from that album to make it more cohesive and less draggy.

Not to get off-topic, but I vote X&Y and Twisted Logic off that album

Just imagine what amazing songs we haven't heard, when Rainy Day, Moving to Mars and Ghost Story didn't 'make ' their respective albums. :whaaat: I bet there are other incredible songs that barely got left off albums since the 42 minute rule.

I agree that those are great songs but I think that the band prioritized the cohesiveness, style and overall structure of their albums. I love Moving to Mars, I really do! but I just can't imagine the song inside Mylo Xyloto. Same case with Rainy Day and Glass of Water. Sleeping Sun is a song worth mentioning too. Maybe there are a number of great songs which didn't make the cut but we'll never know (esp. from GS-AHFOD era). I hope one day, the band will decide to release them (probably a collector's edition of every album or a B-sides compilation album).

A shorter album, if done properly, can feel more concise and be just as good. Sgt. Pepper, Pet Sounds, My Generation, and The Queen Is Dead are examples of classic albums which are less than 42 minutes. This is why some artists like Radiohead are making a shift toward shorter albums (TKOL is 37 minutes) under 40 minutes, kinda like how Coldplay tries to make their albums around 42 minutes.

Longer albums can be tedious and can lose the listener's attention if they drag on too much. But that's not to say that there aren't plenty of classic longer albums too. However, adding songs to an album for the sake of adding songs really corrupts the purpose of an album. An album is really supposed to be a cohesive unit of songs which flow together and are united by musical similarities or lyrical themes. Adding extra songs is why nowadays I never buy "deluxe" editions of albums, because tacking on additional songs can disrupt the flow of the album. Does it make any sense for All Your Friends, Ghost Story, and O (reprise) to come on after O? Not to me anyway, the album finishes perfectly with O, and it feels wrong to tack on additional tracks.

I don't think more songs needs to mean less quality at all. That's an awfully large assumption. :thinking: Add 12 minutes (from 43 min to 55) in the form of Atlas, GS and All Your Friends to GS is a completely different (and much better) album to me. :nod:

I'd rather have too many than miss out on some on AHFoD

Musically, I agree since all three of those are (in my opinion) better than most of the GS songs. On the other hand, Coldplay definitely intended to tell a story with that album, and nixing three songs in favor of Atlas, AYF, and Ghost Story would mess up that story big time.

Make it a better album in terms of song quality? You bet. Make it a better album thematically? Not really.

Although really, replacing the right songs with those three wouldn't really disrupt the flow of the story so much as make the story different. I'd probably have the tracklist as something like:

1. Always In My Head

2. Oceans

3. Magic

4. All Your Friends

5. Midnight

6. Atlas

7. Another's Arms

8. Ghost Story

9. O/Fly On

Granted, I didn't listen to any of those in conjunction with each other, but just going by memory this seems like it could work?

EDIT: I'm a dork and left off Oceans.

Anyway, since this is about AHFoD: I hope Coldplay can find a nice balance between telling a story and getting good songs on the album. To me, it seems that for the last two albums they've sacrificed those "good" songs like Ghost Story and Moving to Mars in order to get the album to tell a very specific story. I can respect that, but that usually means we get a few sub-par songs thrown into the mix :shrug:

A shorter album, if done properly, can feel more concise and be just as good. Sgt. Pepper, Pet Sounds, My Generation, and The Queen Is Dead are examples of classic albums which are less than 42 minutes. This is why some artists like Radiohead are making a shift toward shorter albums (TKOL is 37 minutes) under 40 minutes, kinda like how Coldplay tries to make their albums around 42 minutes.

Longer albums can be tedious and can lose the listener's attention if they drag on too much. But that's not to say that there aren't plenty of classic longer albums too. However, adding songs to an album for the sake of adding songs really corrupts the purpose of an album. An album is really supposed to be a cohesive unit of songs which flow together and are united by musical similarities or lyrical themes. Adding extra songs is why nowadays I never buy "deluxe" editions of albums, because tacking on additional songs can disrupt the flow of the album. Does it make any sense for All Your Friends, Ghost Story, and O (reprise) to come on after O? Not to me anyway, the album finishes perfectly with O, and it feels wrong to tack on additional tracks.

I agree somewhat, that's why I said to tack O at the end if Coldplay had released those onto the actual album. Well actually, O (Reprise) is an amazing way to end off the album IMO... that song is beyond words and I just can't describe.

Musically, I agree since all three of those are (in my opinion) better than most of the GS songs. On the other hand, Coldplay definitely intended to tell a story with that album, and nixing three songs in favor of Atlas, AYF, and Ghost Story would mess up that story big time.

Make it a better album in terms of song quality? You bet. Make it a better album thematically? Not really.

Although really, replacing the right songs with those three wouldn't really disrupt the flow of the story so much as make the story different. I'd probably have the tracklist as something like:

1. O (Reprise) [although in this case it's an intro :P ]

2. Always In My Head

3. Magic

4. All Your Friends

5. Midnight

6. Atlas

7. Another's Arms

8. Ghost Story

9. O/Fly On

Granted, I didn't listen to any of those in conjunction with each other, but just going by memory this seems like it could work?

Anyway, since this is about AHFoD: I hope Coldplay can find a nice balance between telling a story and getting good songs on the album. To me, it seems that for the last two albums they've sacrificed those "good" songs like Ghost Story and Moving to Mars in order to get the album to tell a very specific story. I can respect that, but that usually means we get a few sub-par songs thrown into the mix :shrug:

I agree with a lot of your post except having O (Reprise) at the beginning... there's no way IMO that could work as an intro. I'd put it after O/Fly On.

I agree with a lot of your post except having O (Reprise) at the beginning... there's no way IMO that could work as an intro. I'd put it after O/Fly On.

I just did it because I like the Viva-esque cycle that it gives :P

. . . Plus I really don't like Ink, True Love, or ASFoS and wanted to get rid of all of the--oh wait, I just realize I left off Oceans :facepalm: The one song I really like off GS.

EDIT: There, fixed it and now Reprise doesn't have to go at the beginning

I just did it because I like the Viva-esque cycle that it gives :P

. . . Plus I really don't like Ink, True Love, or ASFoS and wanted to get rid of all of the--oh wait, I just realize I left off Oceans :facepalm: The one song I really like off GS.

EDIT: There, fixed it and now Reprise doesn't have to go at the beginning

LOL you left of Oceans... how could you XD

That's one of my favs from GS too... :)

I agree that those are great songs but I think that the band prioritized the cohesiveness, style and overall structure of their albums. I love Moving to Mars, I really do! but I just can't imagine the song inside Mylo Xyloto. Same case with Rainy Day and Glass of Water.

Coldplay prioritized those things on Viva; it flows incredibly. :viva: But how does PoC's blaring synths and bass fit between the two acoustic songs UFO and Up in Flames? It couldn't sound more out of place there, (and on the album as a whole). MtM fits there much better, not only thematically (following UFO's lyrics) but musically as well. But what charts better today? A Pink-Floyd-esque song or superstar Rihanna?

Same thing with ASFOS. What fits better there, a so-sweet-you-get-diabetes-from-it song or something like Atlas or All Your Friends? The band has been shoehorning in songs ft other artists that don't fit at all imo. :(

I hope on AHFoD they truly do prioritize cohesiveness rather than foregoing it for a random chart single (regardless of Chris going out of his wake to make odd rationalizations for these songs) :nod:

The problem with a long Coldplay album is not the actual length but that it's more prone to be "filled up" with b-sides. I have absolutely no problem with an album of 18 songs when the quality stays above a certain level. What we have seen with X&Y was that some weaker songs were added that didn't belong on the album. In this regard the decision to put Ink and True Love on GS seems even more misguided because of how short the album is. At least on X&Y they added weaker songs, but on GS they replaced the good songs with weak songs.

Saying that an album gets boring after a certain amount of minutes is nonsense. When the music is good, the album should be as long as it needs to be.

Coldplay prioritized those things on Viva; it flows incredibly. :viva: But how does PoC's blaring synths and bass fit between the two acoustic songs UFO and Up in Flames? It couldn't sound more out of place, (even on the album as a whole). MtM fits there much better, not only thematically (following UFO's lyrics) but musically as well.

Same thing with ASFOS. What fits better there, a so-sweet-you-get-diabetes-from-it song or something like Atlas or Ghost Story? The band has been shoehorning in songs ft other artists that don't fit at all imo. :(

I hope on AHFoD they truly do prioritize cohesiveness rather than foregoing it for a random chart single. :nod:

Exactly, PoC should be somewhere near the beginning of the album near like ETIAW for example... it shouldn't be stuck in between U.F.O. and UiF.

I'm fine with them making songs ft other artists as long as they fit in the right place in the album. :)