LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shh! Don't give them ideas... :laugh3:

I think you've just jinxed yourself there... They might learn and stop dabbling if the album doesn't do well, but otherwise, it might just give them the confidence to just go try these as well... They probably already have fun covering these types of songs in their down /jam-time - they might even have some accidental recordings of these sitting around...

Coldplay's new heavy-metal album, A Rush of Screams to the Ears

Best digging about all the albums that Coldplay drew influences from around that period. Anyway, I'm away to listen to some Kanye to get up with good modern music!

The point there are almost zero "good old music" nowadays. You guys are stuck with this or that album. Eventually people remember only good things, that's why they are thinking that something in the past better than today. Today Coldplay is apples. Or oranges. Whatever. It can't be directly judged with previous material.

The point there are almost zero "good old music" nowadays. You guys are stuck with this or that album. Eventually people remember only good things, that's why they are thinking that something in the past better than today. Today Coldplay is apples. Or oranges. Whatever. It can't be directly judged with previous music.

If Coldplay evolved and still had good melodies and songs whilst using new production methods then that's great. The problem is the basic songwriting and melodies have gone and what's left is at the heart of all the multilayered production is poor songwriting. You can't hide the fact that the basic songs just aren't there in the latest Coldplay music. I'm not saying it won't come back but at the moment it's gone.

You heard it from me first. "Fun" is gonna be a single at some point and will smash the charts! What a song!

And folks, don't underrate "Everglow".

Everglow is one of my favorite songs in the new album. For me the best song for now is UP&UP but with a listening other things could change. I'm waiting to hear it again on 4 december

I can tell the difference between what's shit and what's gold. Likewise no one would ever say that Michael Bay is a good film maker just in the same way that Justin Bieber isn't a good musical artist. I'm actually pretty sure that Bay's films and Bieber's music is being played on a never ending loop deep in the chambers of hell.

Michael Bay actually is a pro director and has couple of good entertaining hits like "Bad Boys" or "Rock". And even "alternative" by his own standards coenesque "Pain & Gain". ;)

Have mixed opinions on this album. Birds and Adventure of a Lifetime are the only songs I find pretty "era-defining" in terms of quality.

If I had to, one by one, compare AHFOD against each of Coldplay's other albums and say only one of these two can stay, I don't think I'd pick AHFOD against any of the other six.

MX, MMIX and A Hopeful Transmission made sense - I don't feel that Kaleidoscope or Colour Spectrum do.

But apart from that, I don't think any song here is a Yellow, Clocks, The Scientist, Fix You, Viva La Vida, Strawberry Swing, Charlie Brown, Paradise, ETIAW, Always In My Head, Magic, Another's Arms - got through the album and just thought meh.

In six-seven years time, when Coldplay will have probably released another few albums, I don't see myself looking back and thinking "A Head Full of Dreams - yeah that was a bloody good album".

#InB4thisisnewplaygetoutyouhaterwholovesoldplay

Exactly this. I feel like this is the last dancey pop album as Chris won't be able to dance around and sing forever. I mean he is already losing his breath pretty fast. So this is a good time to get that last run in there. After this it will probably die back down and we will see him on the piano and guitar a lot more.

It's not about age (if you think it matters watch Iggy Pop gigs).

Music from musician is telling something about him, his feelings, how he see the world.

And what you could expect from multimillionaire lads who has a dream life?

Of course it would be less dramatic, negative, dark then stuff from no_name students band.

If Coldplay evolved and still had good melodies and songs whilst using new production methods then that's great. The problem is the basic songwriting and melodies have gone and what's left is at the heart of all the multilayered production is poor songwriting. You can't hide the fact that the basic songs just aren't there in the latest Coldplay music. I'm not saying it won't come back but at the moment it's gone.

Do you think they write bad melodies nowadays? Bad melodies doesn't sell well.

[video=youtube;GcDi7O42Jco]

I really get the feeling that Coldplay is trying to please as many as possible with their last couple albums and now with AHFOD. Now the counterargument is that the band has diverse tastes and thus explores as many genres as they can. I just don' know.

AHFOD is just so bizarre to me, frankly. It goes from U2 stadium rock right into a new wave indie pop song. Then it tries out a brassy early-2000's style dance song, a pop-piano ballad and then disco track. Then a sappy rock love duet, a spoken word classical piece, a nearly fully electronic synthpop song, a straigh hip-hop track, a 50's era slowjam, and then a britpop/R&B fusion as a conclusion.

GS had similar vibes where every song had a different genre to it. Now I like both of these albums we have got over the past few years, but this diversity takes its toll. They are trying to be too much at once. I may love the indie sounding songs, but I think ASFOS and HFTW are incredibly dull. I love AHFOD into Birds. If the whole album kept the vibe of those two songs, I would absolutely adore it, but instead we get all sorts of surprises down the line...

So what do you guys think? Will they ever go back and make an album that has a more consistent sound to it?

Do you think they write bad melodies nowadays? Bad melodies doesn't sell well.

[video=youtube;GcDi7O42Jco]

Chris still at times writes good hooks and melodies, AHFOD and U&U are catchy. The piano part in Everglow is nice but the song structure is poor and it's Coldplay by numbers in the end. Amazing Day is so bland Coldplay by numbers mixed with a terrible sugar coated production, Fun and Birds are nice but they're basic, average songs. I just don't hear much true creativity at all in the new album.

There's so many things wrong with the album but ultimately I think Chris is just going through a dry writing period mixed with some strange production decisions which are perhaps driven by the fact he knows he's struggling with creativity.

AHFOD is just so bizarre to me, frankly. It goes from U2 stadium rock right into a new wave indie pop song. Then it tries out a brassy early-2000's style dance song, a pop-piano ballad and then disco track. Then a sappy rock love duet, a spoken word classical piece, a nearly fully electronic synthpop song, a straigh hip-hop track, a 50's era slowjam, and then a britpop/R&B fusion as a conclusion.

A head full of ... different style songs. Album title is tongue in cheek.

And correct me this album originally should have been released before GS? Or both were recorded at the same time. Can't remember.

I really get the feeling that Coldplay is trying to please as many as possible with their last couple albums and now with AHFOD. Now the counterargument is that the band has diverse tastes and thus explores as many genres as they can. I just don' know.

GS had similar vibes where every song had a different genre to it. Now I like both of these albums we have got over the past few years, but this diversity takes its toll. They are trying to be too much at once. I may love the indie sounding songs, but I think ASFOS and HFTW are incredibly dull. I love AHFOD into Birds. If the whole album kept the vibe of those two songs, I would absolutely adore it, but instead we get all sorts of surprises down the line...

So what do you guys think? Will they ever go back and make an album that has a more consistent sound to it?

I agree. What I would say is that If they want to make an experimental album, make a full experimental album, don't put 1 or 2 types of differing songs all over 1 album. Keep a theme to the whole thing and keep it coherent.

I think this album is very special if as they say this is the closing of a cycle it could mean that LP8 it is different they often like to change and I like that makes them unique at least for me

My first thoughts on first listen:

- A Head Full Of Dreams (the song), great opener and one of the songs I liked the most at the moment.

- It's true that Birds reminds of Undercover Of Darkness from Julian Casablancas and maybe something from The Cure? But I also like it.

- Fun is probably the greatest song on the album for me.

- I'm one of those ones that really like X Marks The Spot. Whatever it is, I find it interesting and I repeated it. I must be crazy, but for some reason, I like it. It is a darker song somehow and I think that the lyrics are cool. Yeah. What a pity that the sounds at the end were even cooler and suddenly they were cut off.

- Up&Up is another one that I like, but I need more listens. I love the guitar parts.

- Amazing Day is also 0K.

- The other songs are a little meh for me.

I need more listens, but overall I think that this time Coldplay has gone down the hill (and not Violet Hill, unfortunately). Maybe it is that I don't like the style they have chosen this time and that's all. I even prefered Mylo Xyloto, because the songs seem more emotional for me, at least some of them. And Ghost Stories too. A Head Full Of Dreams haven't made me cry, and that is very strange for me with a Coldplay album. I guess that I will have to wait to LP8 or an EP to see what comes in the future, but I hope that they change the style again. They should begin from zero, because it looks like someone has brainwashed them. Please Coldplay, take back to the start. They should make another revolutionary album like Viva La Vida or Death and all of His Friends, which I also feel like it was their peak, although that I still prefer AROBTTH and X&Y. But next time if they want to make really good Pop, as I said once, they should sign up that guy called Gregg Alexander, who is a fucking great producer and is waiting for them:

[video=youtube;mgrEhrXHMB0]

Absolutely I agree with you.

A very significant point and I completely agree with you. And on your question, I think it's too early to tell. They might delve even deeper into their current sound or they might surprise us all and announce they're finally ready to go back to their roots. Time will tell.

And I'd like to say, I'm the last person who should be liking this album, but I'm enjoying it. The key word here is enjoy. For some reason that I'm still trying to fathom I'm getting a feeling I haven't experienced since VLV. But there are aspects of it that are just dreadful so as of yet I have no idea what my overall judgement will be in a few weeks time.