• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Xylobryte98, your quote's in red.

beneditatan, your quote's in blue.

Tugatrix, your quote's in gold.

Strawberry Swinger, your quote's in green.

DieProspekt, your quote's in magenta.

Kingzilla, your quote's in orange.

nikofunk, your quote's in dark purple.

A Rush Of Magic, your quote's in teal.

kmm1482, your quote's in a purplish-grey.

coldplaykb, your quote's in pink.

Miha, your quote's in a light blue.

Choldplayer, your quote's in turquoise.

howyousawtheworld, your quote's in light salmon.

KidA, your quote's in a hot pink.

The Philosopher, your quote's in maroon.

I guess David worked on Birds and Amazing Day

If that's the case then all is clear as to why those are the two best songs on AHFOD :lol:

Many people here criticise Chris's lyrics writing especially the one in X marks the spot. But I recently listened to his interview saying that now he starts to put more attention to his lyrics so that he can really deliver what he wants to say.

It's quite an irony.

Hopefully he keeps that in mind for LP8 so he can write good lyrics again

That would explain how these sound better than the rest of the album

LOL you had the exact same thoughts as me! :D

Nope' date=' I love that song to death.[/quote']

Also, according to @arushofjacktothehead's thing beloiw his name, he also likes A Whisper as well. But that's just a guess, although it's extremely likely, because if he didn't like A Whisper he wouldn't put that there.

EDIT:

+1

Knew it.

Someone please just help me out lol. I'm arriving way too late for any of this and now I'm just reading reviews and stuff' date=' it's terrible.[/quote']

What??? So far the reviews I've read are mostly positive, even on this forum.

Tbh' date=' this fanbase is filled with people who do not appreciate pop production or pop trends. I think this album is fantastic, at least a 7.5-8 for me. I keep hearing about the electric drums, and pop production, and all that... Listen to the weeknd or any hip-hop influence act or edm act... They all have loud bass drums and snare. I understand you don't have to like it, but just say it how it is. Don't say its their worst album for sure cuz it sucks, say u dont like the genre they are playing. Its pop with rock influence.Rn the two reviews its gotten are 4/5s. Expect acclaim from critics.[/quote']

Sorry but it's just that electronic drums for me aren't as special as real drums. If they keep using electronic drums they won't make something as great as AROBTTH again. Even though I like MX better it still have mostly real drums if you pay attention. This is primarily an electronic drums album, and for me electronic drums have less emotion than real drums. For example, in Up&Up, the live version's sing-along sound much better than the studio version's, because in the live version, they use the REAL RIDE CYMBAL which has SO MUCH POWER and emotion... with those stupid electronic drums in the studio version you don't get that same uplifting feeling because electronic drums simply don't have as much raw power and emotion as the ride cymbal. No matter how epic you try to make the singing, it's never as good as if you had the ride in there instead of electronic drums. If you've actually heard the song you know what I'm talking about. The electronic drums simply erase the energy from the sing-along. I tried to get into it but seriously there wasn't enough energy there.

As for the "pop production", that's really not the problem here. The only places where the "pop production" fails are in Everglow and Amazing Day (more Everglow), where an Oldplay-style production would have been more suiting. In Amazing Day though, the production is mostly pretty good. It's just a tad clean. But it's still very rich. But that's not the point here. My main problem with production is that in some of the tracks the vocals get too covered up. Such as in "Fun" and "X Marks The Spot". In "Up&Up" the vocals are fine, however there's WAY too many effects and stuff added in, it's just a mess, and to be honest I really don't want to go through the whole song and tell you what's wrong again because the production and electronic drums plainly outright ruin the song and I'd much rather listen to the live version. I can only tell you it's just a complete mess.

no way' date=' they are 'classic' structure coldplay songs when they use more 'british hard rock' and 'indie' styles (despite using electronic stuff in major minus), even if you don't like the song you can feel the song truly belongs to the band... in the other hand, x marks the spot is a bad (really bad) experiment without explanation pausible[/quote']

Sorry, but Major Minus and 1.36, while rocky (which I approve of), are executed terribly, and as a resuilt neither of them sound good at all. XMTS at least sounds decent, and is extremely experimental. It's simply a 3-minute snippet of what most hip-hop SHOULD sound like. If more hip-hop sounded more like that maybe I'd enjoy it more. I really like the vibe it gives as well. It's simply an extremely experimental track by Coldplay. I don't know why they felt the need to put it on the album (probably because Army Of One gives off that same vibe in a way and that Army Of One is short, and it also leaks into this song perfectly) but it's still decent at least. The effects are cool.

I think its cool that Coldplay have literally done almost every genre at this point. How many other bands have done alternative rock, edm, disco, and even a little hip hop (i dont like xmts but still u gotta give them credit for having the guts to try out such a genre) without temporarily breaking up or losing members?

Parachutes: Soft Rock

AROBTTH: Rock

X&Y: Alternative Rock

VLVODAAHF: Alternative

Mylo Xyloto: Pop Rock

Ghost Stories: Indie Pop (includes ASFOS which is EDM)

AHFOD: Pop (includes AOAL which is disco, and XMTS which is hip hop)

Who knows whats next? Coldplay still sounds like Coldplay on this new record. Piano, guitar riffs, Chris's falsetto, and cheesy lyrics. Thats Coldplay alright. May sound different, but the boys like their sound. The difference between a Coldplay FAN and a Coldplayer is that a fan will abandon the band if they don't like something. A Coldplayers sticks with the band and supports them even if they don't like something theyve done. Many have left since MX and more since AOAL came out. We all still support the band and we should all remember that when we start fighting over silly things like differing opinions over a song or which album is the best because we're never going to all agree on one thing. Let's just enjoy the fact that we dont have to wait months for AHFOD and if u dont like AHFOD, please feel free to state ur opinion on it here but try to find another thread about a different album that u like so that u can enjoy this forum.

First sentence:

Oh really? Did I miss the memo when they released a gangsta rap album?

I really did enjoy the heavy metal LP though!

Second sentence: I completely agree, for the most part! It's crazy how much Coldpaly have experimented! However, one thing. At one point, Chris actually got kicked out for a short time I guess for being too bossy so the others could try stuff. It was only for like 2 weeks or something tho :lol:

List of albums: Arguably, AROBTTH is Alt-Rock as well. I think GS is more synthpop than anything. AHFOD definetely isn't straight-up pop either. It's so experimental I don't think you could exactly call it that.

I completely agree with everything else though!

I'll take A Whisper over anything from Ghost Stories or Mylo

You've GOTTA be kidding me. Mylo is WAY better than A Whisper. Only Major Minus is worse.

Ghost Stories, a little more acceptable, though Fly On, Midnight, Oceans are DEFINETELY better than a Whisper. Here's my list of what I think is better than A Whisper other than the other ones: ASFOS, Always in My Head, Magic, and maybe Ink. So all of the album, except maybe Ink, True Love, and Another's Arms.

Yeah I noticed this too. I truly believe he means what he says' date=' but I miss the more abstract lyrics. The lyrics now, are a bit more straight forward, however there are some good ones on the album. My least favorite is the "my heart, boom boom boom boom". The songs feel a bit more lovey than older ones, and I think it is because of the lyrics. The Scientist is a love song, but the lyrics are amazing imo. Its not straight forward "I love you, come back to me. We are meant to be" kind if stuff. Its more abstract and executed much better. The Scientist is a perfect example of a love song with the ooooh oooh's that does it very well. Were as some of the newer ones don't do it as well.[/quote']

Wait, so even "drunk and high" is better than "my heart, boom boom boom boom"?

BTW I agree with The Scientist. I wish Coldplay would write better lyrics like in that. It's such a perfect song, and is very strong lyrically, melodically, and instrumentally. It comes in at #6 on my list of Coldplay best songs. :D

In my opinion' date=' the guy who said Coldplay had kind of reached their peak with Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends, has a point. That was a revolutionary time for the band. Brian Eno, Markus Dravs, Davide Rossi, all characters who made them think differently and do different music. With Mylo Xyloto they kind of ran away with the idea of trying "anything", while Ghost Stories was in my opinion a brilliant album if you look at the context in which it was made. It was a bit more quiet, a bit more solitary but since it was Chris at his earnest, it was brilliant I thought. Maybe AVHOD kind of has no real identity just yet because as a lot you have pointed out, Coldplay have tried more or less every genre a bit. This new album is also a bit wacky design-wise, on one hand they've had the paint and color there since Viva, on the other hand it's hard to please everybody. Maybe if they've said, let's go and dress like folks in India and make an Asia inspired record, maybe more would have appreciated it. I'm going to enjoy the songs because there are quite a few on there that they got right. But as an album I personally rate it lower than AROBTTH, Viva and Ghost Stories. I'd give it 6/10 so far.[/quote']

As for Ghost Stories, I must agree that if you look at the album as a whole, it's actually not that bad. It's pretty good, and it's a more meaningful, dark album. However, there's problems, because the way it's exectuted as a whole isn't very great, and some of the individual material is crap. Not to say that there isn't good material on the album either though.

There's nothing wrong with pop music as long as it's good and creative. I actually think that Bruno Mars/Mark Ronson track from earlier this year for example was really great. It was a great catchy pop tune and did everything a good pop track should. Most of the stuff being mention here is bland and banal and in fact most of the tracks on the new album are bland and banal and do absolutely nothing creatively.

Wow if u honestly think Uptown Funk is better than AHFOD you need your ears checked

That's actually pretty good!

I wish Coldplay was still making music that didn't spark Justin Beiber discussions.

Sorry but even if Coldplay was still making older music people would say "Ohhh way better then Justin Beiber crap" and then people would be defending him and there you do :D

Also, people have said this many times but if they kept making the same old stuff over and over again no matter how good it would be it'd get old and Coldplay would become irrelevant. It's good that they keep changing directions.

- I'm one of those ones that really like X Marks The Spot. Whatever it is' date=' I find it interesting and I repeated it. I must be crazy, but for some reason, I like it. It is a darker song somehow and I think that the lyrics are cool. Yeah. What a pity that the sounds at the end were even cooler and suddenly they were cut off.[/quote']

One of the only ones ! :D

My first thoughts on first listen:

- A Head Full Of Dreams (the song), great opener and one of the songs I liked the most at the moment.

- It's true that Birds reminds of Undercover Of Darkness from Julian Casablancas and maybe something from The Cure? But I also like it.

- Fun is probably the greatest song on the album for me.

- I'm one of those ones that really like X Marks The Spot. Whatever it is, I find it interesting and I repeated it. I must be crazy, but for some reason, I like it. It is a darker song somehow and I think that the lyrics are cool. Yeah. What a pity that the sounds at the end were even cooler and suddenly they were cut off.

- Up&Up is another one that I like, but I need more listens. I love the guitar parts.

- Amazing Day is also 0K.

- The other songs are a little meh for me.

I need more listens, but overall I think that this time Coldplay has gone down the hill (and not Violet Hill, unfortunately). Maybe it is that I don't like the style they have chosen this time and that's all. I even prefered Mylo Xyloto, because the songs seem more emotional for me, at least some of them. And Ghost Stories too. A Head Full Of Dreams haven't made me cry, and that is very strange for me with a Coldplay album. I guess that I will have to wait to LP8 or an EP to see what comes in the future, but I hope that they change the style again. They should begin from zero, because it looks like someone has brainwashed them. Please Coldplay, take back to the start. They should make another revolutionary album like Viva La Vida or Death and all of His Friends, which I also feel like it was their peak, although that I still prefer AROBTTH and X&Y. But next time if they want to make really good Pop, as I said once, they should sign up that guy called Gregg Alexander, who is a fucking great producer and is waiting for them:

[video=youtube;mgrEhrXHMB0]

If they do in fact reinvent themselves for the next era i wonder what the next genre they do will be. Couldn't see them doing metal.

P.S. Watch the EP they put out next year completely blow us away and be better than the whole of AHFOD, MX, and GS combined. It'll then be better than Viva:P

Wait, so even "drunk and high" is better than "my heart, boom boom boom boom"?

Normally I would say no and the first time I heard it, I was like WTF? But after hearing him say that life's a drink and love's a drug, I get what he means. He's not flat out saying I get drunk and get high. He is saying that he is drunk and high on life and love. Buy yeah, either way The Scientist has better lyrics lol.

I think its cool that Coldplay have literally done almost every genre at this point. How many other bands have done alternative rock, edm, disco, and even a little hip hop (i dont like xmts but still u gotta give them credit for having the guts to try out such a genre) without temporarily breaking up or losing members?

Parachutes: Soft Rock

AROBTTH: Rock

X&Y: Alternative Rock

VLVODAAHF: Alternative

Mylo Xyloto: Pop Rock

Ghost Stories: Indie Pop (includes ASFOS which is EDM)

AHFOD: Pop (includes AOAL which is disco, and XMTS which is hip hop)

My ideas :thinking:

Parachutes: Soft rock

ARoBttH: Alternative rock

X&Y: Electronic rock

VlVoDaAHF: Baroque pop

MX: Pop Rock/Acoustic

GS: Ambient/Pop

AHFoD: I'm not sure. This is their most diverse album. I think pop poorly explains AHFOD/Birds/Everglow/AoAL/Amazing Day/Up&Up/Both interludes. I'd say Experimental/Guitar Pop

Normally I would say no and the first time I heard it, I was like WTF? But after hearing him say that life's a drink and love's a drug, I get what he means. He's not flat out saying I get drunk and get high. He is saying that he is drunk and high on life and love. Buy yeah, either way The Scientist has better lyrics lol.

Oh thank god. I thought that lyric was complete trash. Turns out it isnt lol. But still bad compared to The Scientist.... at least hes putting a meaningful twist on typical trash lyrics. Isnt the worst I suppose

Oh thank god. I thought that lyric was complete trash. Turns out it isnt. But still bad compared to The Scientist.... at least hes putting a meaningful twist on typical trash lyrics. Isnt the worst I suppose

Yeah exactly. There is some meaning behind it lol. But definitely still bad compared to The Scientist, or other older stuff really lol. These lyrics are more meaningful as Chris has put that effort in to really mean what he says. But they are not as crafty as they used to be, but I have no control over it, so the best thing to do is to just take it for what it is and enjoy it :)

Sorry, but Major Minus and 1.36, while rocky (which I approve of), are executed terribly, and as a resuilt neither of them sound good at all. XMTS at least sounds decent, and is extremely experimental.

I'm all for opinions and all but that is absolutely insane!!

Yeah exactly. There is some meaning behind it lol. But definitely still bad compared to The Scientist' date=' or other older stuff really lol. These lyrics are more meaningful as Chris has put that effort in to really mean what he says. But they are not as crafty as they used to be, but I have no control over it, so the best thing to do is to just take it for what it is and enjoy it :)[/quote']

Its sad really because it seems like as they age they only get younger. But I honestly think that trend won't continue for longer. It just can't. For LP8 you're not going to expect a 42-year old man to sing about getting drunk and high (no matter if it's meaningful). I can see them growing up after a little while.

Also, a 42-year old man.. best album of Coldplay I discovered is still up and coming :D

I'm all for opinions and all but that is absolutely insane!!

By "executed terribly" I mean that the way they made them sonud isn't great. So sorry if you misread it. It's just my opinion, the two worst songs of Coldplay are Major Minus and 1.36 because IMO they don't sound very good. I like the rocky ideas behind them though. But that's pretty much it.

But really if you want "insane" check out "People who quit this forum after Mylo"

I think that this album is amazing. Maybe the only one to think so. :\

Nope, you're not the only one! :D

I think it's amazing. It just flows so well, the songs are so beautiful as a whole, and there's many cases in which one song bleeds into the next without an abript ending of one (which I really like how they managed to pull that off). Not to mention the INSANE experimentation taking place -- more so than Viva, which is crazy in and of itself!

But overall, this album is amazing.

If they do in fact reinvent themselves for the next era i wonder what the next genre they do will be. Couldn't see them doing metal.

P.S. Watch the EP they put out next year completely blow us away and be better than the whole of AHFOD, MX, and GS combined. It'll then be better than Viva:P

EP Listing:

1. Deja Vu- An acoustic, ambient alternative rock track featuring lines such as 'I trip and I fall against the wall of Deja Vu'

2. Rest/Harmonies- A dreamy electronic styled track with Chris echoing and Jonny shoegazing. Very psychedelic.

3. Army Of Four- A collabration with Jon Hopkins, Matt Bellamy, Noel Gallagher and Thom Yorke, exploring every part of the universe. The song begins with a short but abstract piano intro from Chris, then Matt starts to be heard with his falsetto as he breaks into the first verse, Jonny once again shoegazing. The song then breaks into a Bohemian Rhapsody styled middle with an epic slow guitar solo from Noel. Then the flanger comes in and fades that out, leaving Thom just going acapella until Jonny's badass guitar solo comes in. A bit like the one from 'Just'. Then we can hear lots of instrument thrashing and mentalness like 'Anyone Can Play Guitar' or even 'Endless Nameless' and then the guitar just rings for a bit breaking into Chris and the band with Chris on his piano. Chris then talks about how he wanted 'her' to join him fall of the edge of the universe but 'she' doesn't want to. The ending is completely epic. Everyone just goes apeshit with everything, there's trumpets and violins and then Thom and Chris hold a long note and the song comes to a climax with Will on his real drum set smashing the hell out of them. There is then a short interlude called 'Redorangeyellowgreenblue' that fades into:

4. Gone And Forgotten- Chris begins this ballad with the band and talks about a memory that he can't ever think about.