✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

I agree with the fact that the lyrics don't seem as "meaningful" as they have been, which is simply a product of vague theme or word choice for me. However, melodies and riffs can completely alter the way in which lyrics are perceived. If I have never listened to yellow before, and someone gave me a sheet with the lyrics:

"Look at the stars

Look how they shine for you

And everything you do

Yeah they were all yellow"

I mean nothing there stands out as a "masterpiece" to me until I hear how well it was sung and masterly put together it was by the band. I really really really think perception has a lot to do on the way we look at coldplay these days.

Dude every post you make is literal gold you should invest time in philosophy or something because every time you speak it's like the voice of God :laugh:

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will say I have listened to this thing thru about 5 times and the very first thing that comes to mind, is I want to play it loud. This isn't a background music album. This thing begs to be cranked up. I am really digging this. I must say as I have gotten older (35) I have listened to more pop than ever before, large in part to my sons ( former DMB/pearl jam/singer songwriters kinda guy.) this is a damn good pop album. Time will tell it's staying power with me, but I'm liking cranking it up in the car and enjoying.

I will say I have listened to this thing thru about 5 times and the very first thing that comes to mind, is I want to play it loud. This isn't a background music album. This thing begs to be cranked up. I am really digging this. I must say as I have gotten older (35) I have listened to more pop than ever before, large in part to my sons ( former DMB/pearl jam/singer songwriters kinda guy.) this is a damn good pop album. Time will tell it's staying power with me, but I'm liking cranking it up in the car and enjoying.

Yes, this is definitely an album to be played loud!

I agree with the fact that the lyrics don't seem as "meaningful" as they have been, which is simply a product of vague theme or word choice for me. However, melodies and riffs can completely alter the way in which lyrics are perceived. If I have never listened to yellow before, and someone gave me a sheet with the lyrics:

"Look at the stars

And everything you do

I mean nothing there stands out as a "masterpiece" to me until I hear how well it was sung and masterly put together it was by the band. I really really really think perception has a lot to do on the way we look at coldplay these days.

Dude this is the second AMAZING thought from you in ONE DAY.

I tell you, from the looks of things you haven't posted much but you make every post count so far.

This post itself is a masterpiece as others have mentioned.

"Look at the stars

And everything you do

It seems I'm in the minority here with this one, but that's okay :P

Also disclaimer: I've never been a huge fan of Yellow but I'll try and clarify what I meant in my last post in relation to this one.

Coldplay have always been about making the simple beautiful. They don't generally use any wacky time signatures, or attempt to create really complex guitar riffs or drumbeats, and even the chord progressions of their most famous songs like Clocks or The Scientist are very simple to pick up. Now, a lot of other artists rely on the simple to make their songs as well. For instance, whatever your opinion of contemporary Top 40 pop songs may be, you can't deny that a lot of them revolve around very basic melodies, chord structures, etc. I remember playing songs like "California Girls" and "Down" in high school pep band. That's okay. They're meant to be catchy, and the simple structure works for them.

For me, Coldplay have never been about simply being "catchy." It's the simple things that form the heart of their songs, yes, but there are so many really subtle little things that are added in to their old songs that just elevate them to the next level. Yellow uses an unusual tuning, The Scientist takes the most emotionally derived feeling possible and talks about it in terms of "numbers and figures," one of the most emotionally detached processes we're capable of perceiving. Songs like Low and Viva la Vida take really downtrodden, negative lyrics and pair them with some of the most fast-paced, driving melodies in Coldplay's discography. Yes takes strings, normally used to evoke emotions of sadness or triumph or softness, and weaves them in a way that just bleeds lust and darkness. Some songs, like Cemeteries of London or Daylight or Spies or White Shadows don't give anything away, and you're left with 101 guesses as to what they could be about. Very, very few other artists do these things.

For me, that's the genius of their old works. Sometimes you need the lyrics to understand what's happening, sometimes you need the melodies, sometimes you get both together and you still can't make up your mind as to what the song could be about. Are there duds among their old songs? Of course. I fully admit that I don't think Yellow is all that insightful (if you all want to murder me in a back alley for saying that, that's cool, just tell my family I love them :P ).

In their "newer" songs, there are no weird tunings, no really clever lyrical inversions or extended metaphors. We don't have any Yes songs that change the way we think of certain instruments or any White Shadows where I can't even begin to guess what the song is about. We still get the simple underbelly of the songs, but there is no longer any "weird" things that set them apart from the other artists that do simple songs. Now, those subtle little things they do to set themselves apart are things like random little electronic sounds at certain points, vocodor effects on Chris's voice, filters on various instruments, "oooohs," "fake" drums, etc. I have nothing against these things, but the problem is that there are a lot of other artists that use these particular tricks. They've replaced Coldplay's old habits that I mentioned above (that were more unique) and left us without something integral. In the eyes of "Oldplayers," it makes them seem somewhat uninspired. As Coldplay have evolved, some of those very basic things always stayed the same--it's what gave them their sound that we all love--but now I fear those things are fading.

Just to clarify: It is absolutely 100% okay if you think this is a bunch of bs. Some people like straightforward lyrics and that glossy shine that makes a song sound so complete and perfect. One of the great things about these forums is that we all have very different opinions and don't just blindly say that "this Coldplay song is good because it's on ARoBttH" or "this Coldplay song is bad because it's on Ghost Stories" (or even worse "this song is good because Coldplay made it"). There's always been some confusion as to why us Oldplayers prefer the older albums, and I'm simply trying to explain why I think that might be.

Also I have class tomorrow and it's getting late here. I will attempt to answer whatever you guys throw at me tomorrow. :P Now, go on and tear me apart. I don't care if you do (oohooohooh) :nice:

After a good 5 or so listens, I think I've got a good enough grasp to evaluate AHFOD...

1) A Head Full of Dreams (8/10)

One of Coldplay's better album openers. A good HLH-sounding anthem rock song and excellent choice to start the album. Guy did a fantastic job with the bassline. Lyrics are so-so, but that can be said for the whole album. Jonny's fast-paced strumming is what really defines this song, however. The non-lyrical chorus in the 2nd half (oh-oh's) are where the song really picked up. AHFOD's title track gets an eight because of its boldness and stadium-readiness.

2) Birds (10/10)

Well damn. Based on the preview, I never expected this song to be this amazing. Caught me right from the start and did not let go till the abrupt ending. It follows an indie electro-pop style (something that is very different from Coldplay's usual pop-rock), but retains an X&Yish style with Jonny's guitar. Speaking of guitar, the mini guitar solo at the end is excellent. This song was beautiful, and very floaty and dreamy compared to the heavier bombast of the rest of the album. If Coldplay decides to follow this psychadelic/indie electropop style in future LP's, then they get a thumbs up from me. Definately goes into my Top 10 Coldplay songs. The bird transition thing into HFTW is also really good.

3) Hymn for the Weekend (7/10)

I honestly don't get why so many people hate this song. Chris wanted to make a good R&B club-stomper, and he did. Once people get over the fact that an alt-rock British band that produced this song, you'll find out that this is actually a very good R&B song. The lyrics are suprisingly solid (well... atleast as solid as "So drunk, so high" go), as Chris makes a reference to love being a drug... something that he can get high to. Beyonce's vocals aren't too overpowering (unlike Rihanna's from PoC), and the chorus is uplifting and powerful. I dunno... something about this track clicked with me (coming from a guy who prefers the rockier sounding Coldplay songs like Daylight and Square One). Still don't get why Beyonce didn't get a feature on this song like Tove Lo did for Fun.

4) Everglow (7/10)

Didn't like this song initially, but I warmed up to it. It is a pretty standard Coldplay ballad with a Stargate production twist added. I like the *boop* sounds (similar to the ones used in Oceans) in the background, and the piano chords progressions (albeit simple) provided good support to the track. The chorus, with the "But when I'm cold, cold, cold" part was not only repetitive, but annoying. Chris could have literally substituted cold with some other word and it would have worked. Also the "heyyy..." looping in the background got on my nerves pretty quickly. It has traces of good Coldplay ballads like "Amsterdam," "Fly On (O)," "The Scientist" and "Fix You," but lacks the powerful chorus that those tracks had, and thus falls short. It was a good soft song and filler to play between HFTW and AOAL though.

5) Adventure of a Lifetime (8.5/10)

A gorgeous psychadelic disco track with arugably one of the most complicated Coldplay riffs. Jonny did a great job making the riff sound like a sitar (one of the few songs on the album that has the Indian inspiration). Chris's vocals sound happy and passionate at the same time, and the guitar and basswork is great. Extra points for the oohoo's at the end. If Coldplay were to go entirely pop in their next few LP's, AOAL is definately the way to go. Experimental and pop with a trace of psychadelic in there - A great turning point in the album. Taking points off for the mediocre lyrics and repetitiveness.

6) Fun (8/10)

Another song that grew on me the more I listened to it. The ambient-fading guitar was golden. Tove Lo's vocals matched up perfectly with Chris's, and while Stargate's production was written all over this track, it had traces to AROBTTH and X and Y ballads. Somber, melodic, and whimsical, this song definately surpassed my expectations and in a way was "fun" and pleasing to listen.

7) Kaleidoscope (NR)

Not going to rate this one, since it's a transition but.... if any band is going to have transitions, it needs to be like Kaleidoscope. The "Guest House" poem, Obama singing Amazing Grace, the peaceful piano in the background. The synths swooshing up and down. This transition was great in breaking up this album and was pleasing to listen to.

8) Army of One (6.5/10)

Meh. I think I gave it a 6.5 instead of a 6 out of pity. Most Coldplay album's have a forgettable track, and this is definately the one. Sounds like a downtrodden, Tove Lo-less, version of fun with a weird, slow, thumpy beat. Coldplay has done many other synth-pop songs that are way better than this one (i.e. Always in My Head, Midnight, Moving to Mars). Lyrics are ok, but the chorus goes no where. It doesn't help that XMTS is included in this track. Speaking of which...

9) X Marks the Spot (5/10)

Ok, to start off, I really like Kendrick Lamar. And "Swimming Pools" is a great R&B song. But when Chris Martin, a middle aged British dude tries to sing-rap to a mediocre R&B beat, it's cringeworthy. I don't even care if it was a somewhat decent attempt. Hearing a guy that mesmerized millions of people in the early 2000's with melodic rock songs like Yellow, Clocks, and Till Kingdom Come, start singing "My heart, boom-boom, ba-boom, boom" hurts... a lot. Coldplay showed that they could make a good R&B song with HFTW, but this... is just ridiculous. *** Speaking of which, Chris said XMTS was his favorite part of the album. If LP8 is a full-on rap/hip-hop album... I don't want to think about it. The only thing keeping this thing at the half-way score of 5, is that the chorus is somewhat catchy. That's it.

10) Amazing Day (9/10)

It's a good thing that after XMTS slowly and silently drifts away, we are greeted by the sitar-sounding bass of Guy Berryman once again. It falls into a trace-like waltz soon after, and Chris begins to sing: "Sat on a roof, named every star..." Phew. The lyrics are corny, but atleast they are inherently Coldplay - ("My heart. Boom boom" is not inherently Coldplay FYI). Amazing Day is also one of the few songs where Stargate has not excessively tamprered with the original song. Sounds like Always in My Head mixed with some Parachutes-esque "Ooohs" in the second part of the chorus. Jonny's guitar is good as ever, and Chris's vocals shine on this track. One of the best Coldplay ballads in a long time (aside from O, Ghost Stories had more synth-pop atmospheric songs than rock ballads, didn't fancy MX ballads, VLV had a shortage of ballads). The song feels heartfelt and powerful, and is the primary reason why this track receives a 9.

11) Colour Spectrum (NR)

Once again, another transition, so I'm not rating it. More bells, synths, and atmospheric stuff. While I like the concept of these transitions, they almost make me feel like I'm being cheated of an album. But still, a pretty good transition into the album closer.

12) Up&Up (9.5/10)

Yeah, it's not as good as the live version. And yeah, Stargate (once again) left their mark all over this track. But it still retains most of its raw power, emotion, and polish that propells this to be one of Coldplay's best closers. Starts of slow, builds up into a campfire-like chorus with atleast 10 people singing (including Beyonce, Blue Ivy Carter, Coldplay's kids, etc. ) "We're gonna get it. Get it together somehow." Unlike other similar-sounding Coldplay songs (Politik - which goes from loud to soft, Amsterdam - which goes from soft to loud), Up&Up does a great job slowly building up the song from just Chris' vocals, some strings, and synths, to a full on bellowing chorus with a Noel Gallagher/Jonny Buckland solo playing in the background. The song has an X&Y-ish end to it, and a pretty epic "Believe...In... Love!!!" that carries out the message well into the album's end. Another song that goes into my Top 10 Coldplay tracks.

Conclusion: I really like AHFOD. It was by far the band's most diverse and experimental album, but for the genres it covered, it seemed to work out all right. It definately had it's highs (Birds, Amazing Day, Up&Up) and it had is lows (Army of One, X Marks the Spot), but overall it was a very solid album and a good swan song to the "chapter" that Coldplay has created these past 16 years. If I had to rank the albums:

1) A Rush of Blood to the Head: Great alt-rock album - angrier, darker, heavier, and grittier than Parachutes - tremendous selection of songs (with the exception of A Whisper)

2) Viva La Vida: Experimental done right. Lots of good, weird, and new sounds, but should be the epitome of what a "revolutionary" and ground-breaking album should be

3) A Head Full of Dreams: Diverse indie-pop album with a powerful, uplifting, overall theme. Dreamy, airy, and whimsical - exactly what the title intends the record to be. Had a lot of highs (the first three tracks, and the last two ones), but the middling tracks drag the album down a tad bit. If XMTS was replaced by Miracles, AHFOD could be on par with VLV.

4) Parachutes - Quiet, somber, and reflective. An amazing debut album for Coldplay. Lacks variety, though it's a great record to listen to when driving alone at night.

5) Mylo Xyloto - Anthemic pop-rock. It had a select group of great tracks (Hurts Like Heaven, Paradise, Charlie Brown, Major Minus), but also a collection of 3 uneeded transition tracks and a handful of forgetable ones.

6) X&Y - Individually, the tracks were quite superior (Square One, White Shadows, Talk, Fix You, Speed of Sound). However, the album lacked cohesion and felt like a jumble of songs put together. The album was also unecessarily long (well over an hour) and the good songs were packed with ones that were inherently forgettable (like MX)

7) Ghost Stories - A great atmospheric synth-pop album, but inevitably fell because of it's lack of variety and emotion. GS tried to present an electro-version of Parachutes, but most of the songs fell flat (partially because they were straight up boring, and the intro led into nowhere). Had a few becons of light, including the experimental Midnight and the opener, Always in My Head.

I think Ghost Stories is underrated, I mean it's last on my list too but not because I dislike it for what it is, it's because it has 3 weak/cheesy songs IN A ROW: Magic, Ink, True Love AND THEY ALL HAVE VIDEOS. :freak: I don't even hate them really but I would definitely substitute Ink and True Love with Ghost Story and All Your Friends and keep Magic (I like the instrumental, but the song is just not lead single material).

That way it's pretty flawless and very Oldplay in sentiment but in production too. If Parachutes were made today it would sound like Ghost Stories. The general atmosphere of the music era an album is made in and the current studio equipment somewhat unwillingly influence the sound. Also almost every band sooner or later delves into a more electronic and intricate sound.

Dunno what this has to do with LP7 just thinking out loud and revisiting GS after AHFOD. Carry on...

Also Midnight rules

Ok bye

It seems I'm in the minority here with this one, but that's okay :P

Also disclaimer: I've never been a huge fan of Yellow but I'll try and clarify what I meant in my last post in relation to this one.

Also I have class tomorrow and it's getting late here. I will attempt to answer whatever you guys throw at me tomorrow. :P Now, go on and tear me apart. I don't care if you do (oohooohooh) :nice:

No offense but you missed the point. You stuck with old material and compare new with old again and again while the truth is you shouldn't. Just enjoy any new song, stop compare it with the past.

You are resisting to accept new reality, your favorite band would never make ARBTTH 2.0. Life goes on. Guys evolves. They sound different. Have cheesy lyrics (although I never pay much attention to it because voice for me just another instrument to complete melody).

I was the same like you denying MX (at first). And I don't adore VLV album also. Tastes different. Live with it. Only sells will tell if new album a mess or success.

I didn't like how music critics tried to compare Ghost Stories to their other big albums like Viva or MX because the band made it perfectly clear that it was going to be quiet. You have to review it like it is. Also, they said it was a heartbreak album. No, it was an album about using your problems in life to fly away. Its like all the critics stopped at Oceans and started their review. ASFOS is NOT depressing and the same with O. How can acceptance and moving on as the end message make it a heartbreak album? I personally loved the Ghost Stories era. The art, Live 2014 was really cool, and the clothes they wore were really simple like the AROBTTH era. I listen to O every night before i sleep and it really puts u in a positive mood and relaxes u for a good night's sleep. I also see this album as part 1 to the story that AHFOD completes. I listened to Ghost Stories and the album leak right after and it flows very beautifully and basically almost offers a crescendo in happiness and sound.

I didn't like how music critics tried to compare Ghost Stories to their other big albums like Viva or MX because the band made it perfectly clear that it was going to be quiet. You have to review it like it is. Also, they said it was a heartbreak album. No, it was an album about using your problems in life to fly away. Its like all the critics stopped at Oceans and started their review. ASFOS is NOT depressing and the same with O. How can acceptance and moving on as the end message make it a heartbreak album? I personally loved the Ghost Stories era. The art, Live 2014 was really cool, and the clothes they wore were really simple like the AROBTTH era. I listen to O every night before i sleep and it really puts u in a positive mood and relaxes u for a good night's sleep. I also see this album as part 1 to the story that AHFOD completes. I listened to Ghost Stories and the album leak right after and it flows very beautifully and basically almost offers a crescendo in happiness and sound.

I can understand the fact that you think that we shouldn't comapre nee music to old. I think that people do tjat because they want to see them make a record that can top their favorite and be great as well, and this usually implies the style matches the old one. But I think like you said I think that we need to grade each piece of as a single body of work and not compare it to something else.

I can understand the fact that you think that we shouldn't comapre nee music to old. I think that people do tjat because they want to see them make a record that can top their favorite and be great as well, and this usually implies the style matches the old one. But I think like you said I think that we need to grade each piece of as a single body of work and not compare it to something else.

No offense but you missed the point. You stuck with old material and compare new with old again and again while the truth is you shouldn't. Just enjoy any new song, stop compare it with the past.

You are resisting to accept new reality, your favorite band would never make ARBTTH 2.0. Life goes on. Guys evolves. They sound different. Have cheesy lyrics (although I never pay much attention to it because voice for me just another instrument to complete melody).

I was the same like you denying MX (at first). And I don't adore VLV album also. Tastes different. Live with it. Only sells will tell if new album a mess or success.

If I did truly miss the point, then I apologize, but you also have to consider that none of us are listening to AHFoD in a vacuum. We've all heard Coldplay's previous works. If the band had changed its member lineup or taken a long hiatus or told us that from now on they were going to be a punk band, then it would be easier to avoid comparing their new works with their old ones.

I don't know if this was intentional or not, but the way I've read your post it sounds like you're implying that I want to dislike all the new material the band puts out. This isn't meant to sound inflammatory, but really, truly that's not what I want. I wish I could love their new material as much as I love their old stuff. I want to be able to feel that magic again. I'm happy for everyone that is able to do that, but for some unknown reason, my tastes just don't align with theirs.

I also don't want them to make ARoBttH 2.0. Believe it or not, I do like that the band is evolving (that evolution gave me my all-time favorite album), but for the past few albums, the direction of their evolution just hasn't fit my taste as well as their previous ones. Obviously, the things on which we judge music that we like are different. That's okay. I'm sincerely glad that you like their new output; I like it too, just not quite as much as their old :P

EDIT: Why do I only post these sorts of things late at night or early in the morning . . .

I think after a few listens, here's my ranking:

Viva La Vida or Death And His Friends

A Rush of Blood To The Head

Parachutes = Mylo Xyloto = A Head Full Of Dreams (subject to change after a few listens?)

X&Y

Ghost Stories

It's good to see so large variety of opinions. Some people liking the album, some disliking and the reasons are very different also. It just shows that this is quite controversial album and has so much different music on it.

All i want to say right now that if you approach to this album with knowing that mostly it was written around Hymn for the Weekend and AHFOD (title track), then you probably feel different about the whole album. Similar as Paradise and Charlie Brown were centrepieces in MX and with VLVoDAHF i think they wrote it around Lost! and Viva la Vida.

So considering that a lot of production and also the choice of songs is affected how they decided make Hymn for the Weekend one of the centrepieces, will be the key to approach to this album. For example Up&Up's production on the album is a lot affected of Hymn, and also X Marks the Spot doesn't make sense at all without Hymn etc.

Generally i feel like this album sounds a lot better when played loudly (someone said that above already), it brings out the Stargate's production in much better way. Also this will be the album which sounds the most different while performed in live.

And about Hymn For The Weekend... I'm still unsure though what to think of HFTW from musical perspective, but i have to admit i felt similar for example about Viva la Vida for a long time (now i think it's great song in live, but i never really listen to it). First time i listened to HFTW, it was literally too much to take in, because it's quite massive and diverse in sound. After getting used to it, I think it's an immersive song. With each time i connect and understand this song more and more. Definitely want to dance to it while being drunk at party. :D

And one interesting thought also... I think Every Teardrop is a Waterfall would sound really great instead of Adventure of a Lifetime on this album.

It's good to see so large variety of opinions. Some people liking the album, some disliking and the reasons are very different also. It just shows that this is quite controversial album and has so much different music on it.

All i want to say right now that if you approach to this album with knowing that mostly it was written around Hymn for the Weekend and AHFOD (title track), then you probably feel different about the whole album. Similar as Paradise and Charlie Brown were centrepieces in MX and with VLVoDAHF i think they wrote it around Lost! and Viva la Vida.

So considering that a lot of production and also the choice of songs is affected how they decided make Hymn for the Weekend one of the centrepieces, will be the key to approach to this album. For example Up&Up's production on the album is a lot affected of Hymn, and also X Marks the Spot doesn't make sense at all without Hymn etc.

Generally i feel like this album sounds a lot better when played loudly (someone said that above already), it brings out the Stargate's production in much better way. Also this will be the album which sounds the most different while performed in live.

And about Hymn For The Weekend... I'm still unsure though what to think of HFTW from musical perspective, but i have to admit i felt similar for example about Viva la Vida for a long time (now i think it's great song in live, but i never really listen to it). First time i listened to HFTW, it was literally too much to take in, because it's quite massive and diverse in sound. After getting used to it, I think it's an immersive song. With each time i connect and understand this song more and more. Definitely want to dance to it while being drunk at party. :D

And one interesting thought also... I think Every Teardrop is a Waterfall would sound really great instead of Adventure of a Lifetime on this album.

Yup, that was me that mentioned the loud thing. I was trying to get some work done and had it on in the background and it just didn't work. I love some Vance Joy or Lumineers in the background, but this one begs to be cranked up.