✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

It's been a few days since the leak, and I have listened to the songs more than a bunch of times.

Here is what has become clear to me. Ever since the release of ETIAW, I kept telling myself that coldplay will go back to their old form. What I didn't realize though is that there is no such thing as oldplay or newplay. Its just coldplay. There are eras and periods, but its all still just coldplay. I promise you if songs like AHFOD and Amazing day were released prior to 2008, many would consider it masterpieces and "oldplay." It is all very relative. It's hard to appreciate things when you have such a strong bias already dominating your thought process. It is honestly just unfair to the band, because they put their heart into this album, and a lot of hardcore fans are just shitting on it. I can tell you one thing: I would rather have this album than nothing.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's been a few days since the leak, and I have listened to the songs more than a bunch of times.

Here is what has become clear to me. Ever since the release of ETIAW, I kept telling myself that coldplay will go back to their old form. What I didn't realize though is that there is no such thing as oldplay or newplay. Its just coldplay. There are eras and periods, but its all still just coldplay. I promise you if songs like AHFOD and Amazing day were released prior to 2008, many would consider it masterpieces and "oldplay." It is all very relative. It's hard to appreciate things when you have such a strong bias already dominating your thought process. It is honestly just unfair to the band, because they put their heart into this album, and a lot of hardcore fans are just shitting on it. I can tell you one thing: I would rather have this album than nothing.

^ One of the smartest thoughts I've read on the forum. I COMPLETELY agree. A Head Full Of Dreams and Amazing Day would be considered classics if they were prior to 2008.

Very insightful post. Completely agree!

so true :clap:

:clap::clap::clap:

And I'd like to say, I'm the last person who should be liking this album, but I'm enjoying it. The key word here is enjoy. For some reason that I'm still trying to fathom I'm getting a feeling I haven't experienced since VLV. But there are aspects of it that are just dreadful so as of yet I have no idea what my overall judgement will be in a few weeks time.

Agreed. I continue finding so many different things that I don't like or that weren't done well, but I'm still managing to enjoy AHFoD far more than I ever did MX or GS. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe the lyrics have subtly improved or something? It's no Viva, but I haven't liked a Coldplay album this much since that one

Err . . . one of the major differences between AHFoD / Amazing day and the "Oldplay masterpieces" is the quality of the lyrics. The melodies, riffs, etc. are still great, but the rest of the components needed to make a "masterpiece" have been hit-and-miss (at least for me). Plus, it's not like us Oldplayers don't enjoy some of the songs put out after Viva: Major Minus, Up With the Birds, Moving to Mars, Midnight, etc.

You are right in that it's all just different eras, but the bias had to start with something, and for a lot of us Coldplay haven't done anything spectacular enough since Viva to put our minds at peace. For MX and GS it was the lyrics, and now for AHFoD it's iffy production choices and an odd flow :shrug:

. . . But I also think that the terms "Oldplayer" and "Newplayer" have created a pretty big divide in the forums and that everyone will continue to go back and forth until kingdom come :P

And yes, I realize the irony of pointing that out when this entire post just continues the argument :awesome:

Oh thank you so much ! I've always wanted to say that but i didn't know how to use the right words. You did it perfectly !

I've never agreed with anything on this forum more.

Err . . . one of the major differences between AHFoD / Amazing day and the "Oldplay masterpieces" is the quality of the lyrics. The melodies, riffs, etc. are still great, but the rest of the components needed to make a "masterpiece" have been hit-and-miss (at least for me). Plus, it's not like us Oldplayers don't enjoy some of the songs put out after Viva: Major Minus, Up With the Birds, Moving to Mars, Midnight, etc.

You are right in that it's all just different eras, but the bias had to start with something, and for a lot of us Coldplay haven't done anything spectacular enough since Viva to put our minds at peace. For MX and GS it was the lyrics, and now for AHFoD it's iffy production choices and an odd flow :shrug:

. . . But I also think that the terms "Oldplayer" and "Newplayer" have created a pretty big divide in the forums and that everyone will continue to go back and forth until kingdom come [emoji14]

And yes, I realize the irony of pointing that out when this entire post just continues the argument :awesome:

I think the melodies have gone downhill quite rapidly also. I also think Amazing Day is a terrible song which would have fallen badly pre 2008. It's boring saccharin Coldplay by numbers.

and thank you. hit the nail on the head

I think the melodies have gone downhill quite rapidly also. I also think Amazing Day is a terrible song which would have fallen badly pre 2008. It's boring saccharin Coldplay by numbers.

The piano part and guitar riff and the bass riff are all very melodic and sweet and happy and...well uh..amazing to me. I'd put this song in terms of best happy and melodic songs by Coldplay with Strawberry Swing or something. The thing I could see people having a problem with is the drum part, since it resembles the drum line from AIMH, but other than that I see it as a classic Coldplay song. Even the lyrics are pretty good.

The piano part and guitar riff and the bass riff are all very melodic and sweet and happy and...well uh..amazing to me. I'd put this song in terms of best happy and melodic songs by Coldplay with Strawberry Swing or something. The thing I could see people having a problem with is the drum part, since it resembles the drum line from AIMH, but other than that I see it as a classic Coldplay song. Even the lyrics are pretty good

agree! Amazing Day just makes me sway, its drop-dead gorgeous

The piano part and guitar riff and the bass riff are all very melodic and sweet and happy and...well uh..amazing to me. I'd put this song in terms of best happy and melodic songs by Coldplay with Strawberry Swing or something. The thing I could see people having a problem with is the drum part, since it resembles the drum line from AIMH, but other than that I see it as a classic Coldplay song. Even the lyrics are pretty good.

Just cant agree at all, I hear nothing in it. There's no craft or anything special in it. Aside from XMTS to me it's the worst Coldplay song I've ever heard. It makes me cringe when I hear it.

Amen

I agree with the fact that the lyrics don't seem as "meaningful" as they have been, which is simply a product of vague theme or word choice for me. However, melodies and riffs can completely alter the way in which lyrics are perceived. If I have never listened to yellow before, and someone gave me a sheet with the lyrics:

"Look at the stars

Look how they shine for you

And everything you do

Yeah they were all yellow"

I mean nothing there stands out as a "masterpiece" to me until I hear how well it was sung and masterly put together it was by the band. I really really really think perception has a lot to do on the way we look at coldplay these days.

I agree with the fact that the lyrics don't seem as "meaningful" as they have been, which is simply a product of vague theme or word choice for me. However, melodies and riffs can completely alter the way in which lyrics are perceived. If I have never listened to yellow before, and someone gave me a sheet with the lyrics:

"Look at the stars

And everything you do

I mean nothing there stands out as a "masterpiece" to me until I hear how well it was sung and masterly put together it was by the band. I really really really think perception has a lot to do on the way we look at coldplay these days.

A-fucking-men.

"Look at the stars

And everything you do

Two insightful posts in one day. You're a genius.