✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

If you can choose a song which is old (before Mx) for Coldplay to perform, which would you pick and why?

I would indeed request a song pre-MX: Green Eyes. Because it means so much to me and it reminds me of a certain girl I´ve loved since like forever :)

Another one I´d love to hear live is Proof

^ I'd adore to hear both those live. Also I'd just love to hear Amsterdam or Gravity. Love to hear AROBTTH... maybe a little Warning Sign. Oh how I love Coldplay's older music too.... just something about them. Just something.

Just listened to Parachutes, then GS immediately after since I was taking a little drive... holy what a quality drop. It's just sad, honestly. :cry: :(

Just listened to Parachutes, then GS immediately after since I was taking a little drive... holy what a quality drop. It's just sad, honestly. :cry: :(

I love GS hehe And I think it has similarities to Parachutes in tone and even lyrics, though there are prominent differences too in the arrangements and instrumentation, which is probably why you dont like it perhaps? :)

I honestly though think songs like O (Fly on) would unite old and newplayers alike hehe It´s just a gorgeous track. (or even Midnight)

I love GS hehe And I think it has similarities to Parachutes in tone and even lyrics, though there are prominent differences too in the arrangements and instrumentation, which is probably why you dont like it perhaps? :)

I honestly though think songs like O (Fly on) would unite old and newplayers alike hehe It´s just a gorgeous track. (or even Midnight)

I think you took my post the wrong way :D I really absolutely do love Ghost Stories if I listen to it on my own. It's a special thing on it's own at night. However it's a definite step down from Parachutes. They do have the same down-beat feel and are Coldplay's two "quiet" albums however I just find Parachutes flows much better together and the songs themselves feel true and honest, and have this flow and feel to them that I can't explain, that is just so calming and warm. GS is calming too, and has a "cool" vibe to it which I also find great, however the quality of the songs in the first half of the album especially is just... I don't know what to call it. They tried to replicate Parachutes, this time with a poppier feel and electronics, but it just didn't work as well. The instrumentation is poor compared to Parachutes, I still like the vibe on it's own and the instrumentation fits with it but when I think of Parachutes I think of it as a step down. The second half of the album, that being said, is quite spectacular, with Oceans and Fly On especially not necessarily having the wanm vibe as Parachutes does but the flow and the instrumentation is there (despite the electronic drumbeat in Oceans, it fits magically with the acoustic guitar). The production is also cleaner on GS which I think takes away from it as well,

Essentially what I'm trying to say is that GS's "cool" feel fits very well with the general instrumentation they used if you think about it, and the flow is very very nice. However, the song quality itself, and the production on the songs (clean), is a problem that puts it beliw Parachutes, which has great production, great flow both overall and in the song struction (just feels so nice, I don't know exactly how to explain it), relaxing, down-beat, and unlike GS has a warm vibe to is which I also appreciate. Also, one thing that's interesting about Parachutes... it's just absolutely perfect. It's worst song (Spies) isn't even bad; it's a masterpiece. However, GS has many songs that are just too R&B/pop for me, and the vibe of those in particular isn't really my thing compared to Parachutes: True Love, Another's Arms, Ink, Magic. (The latter two are better than the former two, and while pop, I like Ink for it's melancholic guitar with the melody, and Magic... because I don't know :P)

GS IMO feels like a poppier/R&B version of Parachutes, and the genre just can't compare to Parachutes. Overall, this is why I prefer Parachutes to it.

(i know, long post :P)

GS IMO feels like a poppier/R&B version of Parachutes, and the genre just can't compare to Parachutes. Overall, this is why I prefer Parachutes to it.

(i know, long post :P)

Lol yeah nothing wrong with long posts haha

Apart from the tone and lyrics in a way I find the two albums are too different to be compared to my ears anyway. Though I´ll tell you I still dont think I can listen to Parachutes now from beginning to end. Its probably the only Coldplay album I cant do that, simply because Im never in that mood *lol* But I do agree it contains some great tracks...and speaking of Spies, its the first Coldplay song I heard and I still think its fantastic!

Also I notice that they kinda use different chord progressions in Parachutes overall, unusual and dissonant, which gives it its own unique tone imo. Some of these chord progressions I can still hear in some songs on AROBTTH, but then they kinda disappear from X&Y onwards, which is when the songs have more of a "easy on the ear" flow with less dissonant chord progressions, I guess you can call them more catchy perhaps. They always had catchy songs all the way from Yellow, but from X&Y they pretty much make each song a "catchy" song and I think it still continues to this day.

• Like 1

^ It's interesting how Coldplay's style moved from the dissonant chord progression style all the way to making these catchy songs like these. It's cool because it's a band trying new things with their sound overall with the chord progressions. They were really good at the dissonant chord progression style and I'd almost wish they'd return to it one day yet they're also doing good with their current style. it kind of gives Parachutes it's own warmish tone to it... interesting. I find that Coldplay did this a lot in their earlier days, and it's also interesting how the warm atmosphere dissappeared along with that style... I really like Coldplay's earlier works like these, for it's warm atmosphere. :)

• Like 1

^ It's interesting how Coldplay's style moved from the dissonant chord progression style all the way to making these catchy songs like these. I find that Coldplay did this a lot in their earlier days, and it's also interesting how the warm atmosphere dissappeared along with that style... I really like Coldplay's earlier works like these, for it's warm atmosphere. :)

I´ve never been a fan of dissonant chord progressions, though I must say they did it very well cuz I do like all their earlier songs despite of the dissonant style hehe I think the warm atmosphere you refer to is in large part due to the organic sound of real instruments. To my ears it always sounds warm and full, while synths sound cold and distant. Same reason why I think vinyl records sound better than CDs hehe

But to me the warm tone is just a technical thing at the end of the day. The melody and feel of a song is more important to me than the way its played or arranged, but yeah different styles will give different impressions.

^ I agree about your second part. As for the warm tone, yeah, the organic instruments (and soft feels help a lot too.) Electronics sound more cold and distant I find wheras real instruments sound more warm and full, which I really love. If electronics are done right, for example, ambient, you can get a great "cool" vibe, while having a distant, yet full in a way, sound. (Ambient, again, is a great example of this IMO.)

^ I agree about your second part. As for the warm tone, yeah, the organic instruments (and soft feels help a lot too.) Electronics sound more cold and distant I find wheras real instruments sound more warm and full, which I really love. If electronics are done right, for example, ambient, you can get a great "cool" vibe, while having a distant, yet full in a way, sound. (Ambient, again, is a great example of this IMO.)

Oooooooh did someone say ambient:wacky:

I love ambient music. Coldplay have done a bit of this: see Midnight, Such A Rush Intro, Postcards From Far Away, Chinese Sleep Chant, Aiko, Moving To Mars, O

• Like 1

I´ve never been a fan of dissonant chord progressions, though I must say they did it very well cuz I do like all their earlier songs despite of the dissonant style hehe I think the warm atmosphere you refer to is in large part due to the organic sound of real instruments.

What do you mean with dissonnant chord progressions ? I always thought they were a trademaks sign of Radiohead, not Coldplay. Can you give some examples ?

What do you mean with dissonnant chord progressions ? I always thought they were a trademaks sign of Radiohead, not Coldplay. Can you give some examples ?

The solo in True Love is dissonant, off the top of my head, I can't think of any others at the moment.....

Oh, AROBTTH is another.

• Like 2

If you can choose a song which is old (before Mx) for Coldplay to perform, which would you pick and why?

I would definitely pick :viva: Life In Technicolor ii :viva:. Because it's so powerful! And just because there's something special in it (to me).

My answer changes everyday, at this point I don't even think I can come up with one. Everything's Not Lost maybe, a nice wholesome sing-a-long for the family.

• Like 2

More than 1300 posts and more than 24000 views in less than 4 months, amazing ! Happy New Year Oldplayers !

Let's hope the AHFOD Tour 2016 will bring some live recordings of Oldplay songs for us to watch soon !

Yeah, I hope so too. Also a happy 2016 to you mate! And the others of course!!! :D

• Like 1