✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

What songs give you a wintery feeling?

A Ghost does it for me, especially this particular version because the reverb on the other version is a little off-putting (and the bonus at the end of this helps)

The whole GS album, and A Ghost. And Gravity to an extent.

• Like 1

Midnight was so misleading. If the album was like Midnight it might have been something really good. Instead it was overproduced yet again. So many songs were so close to being SO GOOD. Another's Arms (artistic choices in studio version, live version isn't bad at all)

[MEDIA=dailymotion]x220866[/MEDIA]

True Love (could have been something like Proof if you want a comparison), Magic needed more Jonny magic and no drum machine (big surprise) and Chris's vocal effects need to be cut.

I uploaded that video!!! Thanks for sharing btw!

• Like 1

Midnight was so misleading. If the album was like Midnight it might have been something really good. Instead it was overproduced yet again. So many songs were so close to being SO GOOD. Another's Arms (artistic choices in studio version, live version isn't bad at all)

[MEDIA=dailymotion]x220866[/MEDIA]

True Love (could have been something like Proof if you want a comparison), Magic needed more Jonny magic and no drum machine (big surprise) and Chris's vocal effects need to be cut.

I uploaded that video!!! Thanks for sharing btw!

For those who want to see live performances/are interested: these are my channels: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJD5kFgVPgm61g94ENwjRMg

http://www.dailymotion.com/gideon-jansen

Hmm. The whole Parachutes album has always given me a cool-and-silent-misty-morning type of feel. As for individual songs, I'd go with Midnight, I Bloom Blaum (maybe not so much winter as just this really stark, bleak, cold night), or Prospekt's March.

Interesting, I Bloom Blaum rather gives me the feeling of a warm summer night in a rose garden or something ! Not wintery at all for me.

Violet Hill definitely gives me a winter feeling :)

Exactly, As with many others, I'd prefer quality music from Coldplay over fame. I wouldn't care if Coldplay's album tanked in the charts if they decided to go all Kid A. At least we'd get to listen to some real masterpieces and that's what I truly care about. Now, I don't understand why all the trash music gets all the recognition nowadays as opposed to some really good mainstream music pre-2012, but hey, apparently everyone's musical tastes have gone way downhill nowadays for whatever reason. They've been drawn in to believing that this fake plastic pop is the best thing ever, it's just so sad that there's no appreciation for real music in the mainstream nowadays like there should be. People only want all the "hot girls" up on stage now, it's pathetic. The "pop concerts" have turned into a big plastic act. So dumb. Real music should get much more recognation over that.... and Coldplay shouldn't fall into the trap of these hitmaker producers and all these "tricks". Up until now, Coldplay never used them, never paid attention to them, and they never needed them. They wrote honest music that touched everyone who dared to really listen, and Coldplay's method has always worked. They wrote masterpieces. Not only that, they achieved worldwide fame, making #1 album after #1 album, that was actually true music. Coldplay were, and arguably still are, the largest genuine act out there. Everone else popular is nowhere near the artistry of Coldplay. Coldplay doesn't need none of these "popular tricks" to stay relevant. Those "tricks" just make your music forgettable within 3 months. The real tricks come from Coldplay. The tricks they use(d) actually work, and that's been proven many times. Not only that, but unlike these "hit-maker" tricks, Coldplay's tricks produce music that goes on to be remembered 15 years later. These Coldplay hits, unlike today's trash mainstream, are going to be remembered for a very, very long time. How long that is I don't know, but hey, The Who's "Baba O'Riley" was released back in 197 freaking 1. And most radios still play it. That's a song that, as far as I'm concerned, is going to stay relevant forever. It's a classic. Simple as that. I don't think any of Coldplay's songs will last more than 40 years but if they do, hey that's fantastic. Congratulations. All I'm trying to say is, that songs like The Who's "Baba O'Riley" will be remembered for many more years, while songs like "Black Magic" or something similar are going to be forgotten in tops, a year. If Coldplay had kept on choosing innovation over fame, they still would have got fame. They still did, but the difference is, with innovation and choosing producers like Eno and Hopkins over Stargate, they would have produced real hits. The kind of hits that get played many years into the future, instead of being played 30 million times a day and then forgotten 3 months later. So far, "Adventure of a Lifetime" isn't even getting played hardly on the radio, maybe like once every two weeks, and Everglow has been played... 0 times. Not any plays I've heard of yet. As far as I can see, there's no single from this album that'll be as widely-remembered as their older work. This album is proof that the "hitmaker" tricks don't work very well. Hopefully Coldplay have realized what a major mistake they've made by hiring Stargate over Eno or Hopkins -- many tracks on this album were degraded by the production/electronic beats, and many of the true hits that Coldplay have wrote were probably discarded, lost songs that could have been a Viva la Vida but never were, since they never reached the light of day because of those suckers Stargate having to listen to everything before choosing the "fake hitmakers" and then degrading the quality of those ones even more because of the pop production. Hopefully from this experience they go with innovation and experimentation for LP8, maybe an ambient rock album? With bringing in an experimental outside-of-the-box thinker like Eno or Hopkins rather than going with a forgettable-music producer. Maybe then will they produce yet another "real hit" that'll be remembered for a while. Hey, with working with people like those there's always space for reinvention even. If they go with them again we could see some real great stuff! So excited!! :D But then again, I'm not, because I know it probably won't happen. Because Coldplay can't make the right decisions, no more. But there's always that chance it will happen... then Coldplay can go back to making real hits. :)

Oh, a man can only dream.

Have a great day everyone.

/rant

Hey cp, I actually read through all of your post and I agree but it would be nicer to the eyes if you could separate long posts like this one into several paragraphs :P

• Like 1

I'd like to get your guys' opinion on something. It'll help if you're completely honest too, don't hold anything back; cause I'd really like to know. Do you think in time, MX, GS and AHFOD together or separately could reach the levels that P, AROBTTH, X&Y and Viva soared to? I mean, Yellow, Politik, Square One and strawberry Swing are classics. No doubt about it. It got me thinking, in 10 years time I'll bet songs like Paradise, Magic and Amazing Day will have aged gracefully and we could place them among the best of the best Coldplay tracks. I mean, think about it! The new album lyrics have a way of sticking with you. If they stick with you, they must be good right!?

On to production. I love the production of the first 4 albums. It's perfect, maybe a few duds here and there but for the most part it's solid. Stargate's production on AHFOD isn't all that bad. It really shines through on Up & Up where Chris' vocals take center stage. That song Up & Up is up(pun intended) there with Amsterdam in terms of raw energy, sound and production. If you listen to the masterpiece that is X Marks The Spot, you'll hear the clean production mkxed with the "boo-boo boom" of the lyrics. It makes it as catchy as a song as say In My Place right?

What do you think the live shows will be like? Supposedly the stage setup is shaped like a giant male sperm. If they bring out more props they could seriously make this tour the best yet! Do you guys think more is better? Or simplicity at its core is best? Since the band only plays between 20-21 songs now, it is safe to say that AHFOD will take center stage at the concert in terms of how many new songs they perform. In My Place hasn't been played since 2012, Politik since 2011. Maybe those songs need a rest and the band can pull out some of that newer material to play. That way they can connect with the audience better.

Just some food for thought. Sorry for the long post guys! tl:dr= I love this thread! Can't wait to hear your opinions on this.

Guest kmm1482
I'd like to get your guys' opinion on something. It'll help if you're completely honest too, don't hold anything back; cause I'd really like to know. Do you think in time, MX, GS and AHFOD together or separately could reach the levels that P, AROBTTH, X&Y and Viva soared to? I mean, Yellow, Politik, Square One and strawberry Swing are classics. No doubt about it. It got me thinking, in 10 years time I'll bet songs like Paradise, Magic and Amazing Day will have aged gracefully and we could place them among the best of the best Coldplay tracks. I mean, think about it! The new album lyrics have a way of sticking with you. If they stick with you, they must be good right!?

On to production. I love the production of the first 4 albums. It's perfect, maybe a few duds here and there but for the most part it's solid. Stargate's production on AHFOD isn't all that bad. It really shines through on Up & Up where Chris' vocals take center stage. That song Up & Up is up(pun intended) there with Amsterdam in terms of raw energy, sound and production. If you listen to the masterpiece that is X Marks The Spot, you'll hear the clean production mkxed with the "boo-boo boom" of the lyrics. It makes it as catchy as a song as say In My Place right?

What do you think the live shows will be like? Supposedly the stage setup is shaped like a giant male sperm. If they bring out more props they could seriously make this tour the best yet! Do you guys think more is better? Or simplicity at its core is best? Since the band only plays between 20-21 songs now, it is safe to say that AHFOD will take center stage at the concert in terms of how many new songs they perform. In My Place hasn't been played since 2012, Politik since 2011. Maybe those songs need a rest and the band can pull out some of that newer material to play. That way they can connect with the audience better.

Just some food for thought. Sorry for the long post guys! tl:dr= I love this thread! Can't wait to hear your opinions on this.

Honestly, no. Coldplay were a new voice were, at the time, a softer Radiohead and more of a mainstream Jeff Buckley. They were different, some would argue they weren't, but I really don't remember hearing ANYthing quite like what they were putting out back then. The past few albums, that sound gets lost in mix nowadays. They've aligned their sound to excepted by hip-hop, Top 40 crowd, even using a proven hitmaker that Rihanna uses! I think 10 years from now, that produced sound will still be around and we'll struggling to remember what Everglow or Ink sounds like. But say Clocks, Yellow or even Daylight and I can instantly hear it in my head

Amazing Day is probably the most graceful instrumental on AHFOD. The lyrics, not so much. The way Chris sings on it, maybe...

Paradise is a good song. It has potential to become a classic. Well, magic, I'm not so sure. It's so simple. @SprayCanSoulGuy's version of Magic made the song so much more incredible. If his version was the official, then yes.

XMTS is catchy, yes. But it doesn't mean it's a good track. The instrumentation and beat is somewhat good. The lyrics, though, do sound like they were made in 10 minutes. If more time was taken to perfect the track, then it could have actually been decent.

Now for the albums:

Mylo Xyloto actually has some really good songs. HLH had a well deserved win on the MX elimination game. Paradise, as I said before, is a really good song with potential to be a classic. Charlie Brown has good lyrics and good instrumentation. There's virtually nothing wrong with it (to me). Us Against The World could be toned a bit down on production and a little more effort in lyrics, but overall a good song. ETIAW is good. Great choice as a first single. Major Minus is, wow! A great song for Oldplayers. So glad it's on the album. It shows CP doing a different type of genre. Lyrics on UFO aren't the best, but still leaves it as an OK song. Now here's the bad part. Princess Of China. It's production is terribly overproduced. It ruins a great song. Chris' vocals could have been used with a little more range and effort. I actually don't mind Rihanna. She is a great vocalist, regardless of her reputation as a pop artist. Now onto Up In Flames. It's a good song ruined by overproduction. Lyrics could have also used a little more effort. It's a bit repetitive as well. DLIBYH, another song ruined by overproduction. But, it's the song on the album that has been affected the most by production. Up With The Birds is a great final track. The beginning is a little boring, but the second half of the song makes it one of the best Coldplay closers IMO. In conclusion, MX is a great album ruined by overproduction in general and I think they should have combined the interludes with their companion tracks, included MTM on the album, and take more care into production.

Ghost Stories is actually a really good ambient-style album, INSTRUMENTALLY. But, the lyrics are poor, especially ASFOS, which was ruined by repetitive verses and EDM. I also think that Midnight was a lazy move. The track is basically Chris' vocals and a Hopkins track from like 10 years ago. No originality there. I think that this was an opportunity for the band to experiment and try to make their own track like Hopkins. There are more weak points, but I won't state them individually. But, @SprayCanSoul makes the album into an artistic masterpiece. He fixed many of the weak points of the album. His version of Another's Arm is just incredible. In conclusion, Ghost Stories is an incredibly breathtaking album ruined by poor and repetitive lyrics.

A Head Full Of Dreams in just Pop Garbage. It's a bad example of the band trying to experiment. There are some good points (Ex. Title Track, Birds, the DRUM BEAT of Army Of One, Amazing Day INSTRUMENTALLY, and Up&Up, except the latter is ruined by Stargate's shitty production. It sounds like after they completed AHFOD and Birds, they decided to experiment with Pop a little more and ultimately failed. In conclusion, this is yet another album ruined by poor (but somewhat better than GS) lyrics and shitty production. The band's terrible effort to stay relevant with today's music (HFTW and Fun) as well as their terrible effort to get out of their comfort zone (XMTS) just ruined what could have been a great album. IMO, if they stuck with the theme of the title track and Birds, it could have been another AROBTTH.

Now, about the live shows, it's the only major thing that has improved from Oldplay. This is most likely because of technology advances and the basic fact that the band has more money.

SprayCanSoulGuy[/mention]'s version of Magic made the song so much more incredible. If his version was the official, then yes.

@SprayCanSoul makes the album into an artistic masterpiece. He fixed many of the weak points of the album. His version of Another's Arm is just incredible. In conclusion, Ghost Stories is an incredibly breathtaking album ruined by poor and repetitive lyrics.

A Head Full Of Dreams in just Pop Garbage.

Holy cow, those words about my GS project got to me! Thank you so, so much! [emoji1]

Good review btw. I missed those in other threads.

• Like 1

"@SprayCanSoulGuy's version of Magic made the song so much more incredible. If his version was the official, then yes.

@SprayCanSoul makes the album into an artistic masterpiece. He fixed many of the weak points of the album. His version of Another's Arm is just incredible. In conclusion, Ghost Stories is an incredibly breathtaking album ruined by poor and repetitive lyrics.

A Head Full Of Dreams in just Pop Garbage.

Holy cow, those words about my GS project got to me! Thank you so, so much! [emoji1]

Good review btw. I missed those in other threads.

• Like 2

Now, about the live shows, it's the only major thing that has improved from Oldplay. This is most likely because of technology advances and the basic fact that the band has more money.

Don't you think that they have also improved a lot as live performers as well?

Btw, I do agree with the sentiments expressed in the rest of your earlier post, particularly your comments on the individual songs... Sharply observed (although quite cutting too :P).

• Like 1