✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

They did have stronger songwriting in the past but I'd argue, they're not very "dull" today either. They still have great songwriting abilities, just not with the magic as with Oldplay.

Have to disagree, I find them very "dull" these days. The music in the main is just structurally poor, bland and boring to my ears. All the other multicoloured stuff is just gloss.

Yeah thats kinda what I meant about the dissonant chord structure. It does make a song sound more interesting and for lack of a better word more sophisticated. Shiver comes to mind. I can see why you and many others would prefer that: the structure of say Shiver is definitely more complicated and "rich" than a song like Lost.

Yet Ill tell you my brain tells me I should like the sophistication better, but my heart and ears won't hear of it *LOL* Its like I can appreciate how they are better in the sense that their structure is just more rich and goes in directions unexpected, but I dont seem to enjoy them more just because of that factor. So there... I think different structures appeal to different parts of our selves perhaps? :)

Exactly. For example when I listen to Radiohead's Kid A, which has a ton of dissonant chord structures, I really appreciate it, and my brain likes the sophisication put into it, and I can clearly tell they're oh so talented when it comes to this stuff, since it's hard to fit a dissonant chord structure into a song while still making it make sense I guess. Radiohead are very good at that. However my ears sort of pick it up and realize it's dissonant, and the actual sound of it isn't too great but my brain notices the sophistication and really as a result I love the song because they made it work somehow. It's so hard to explain but hopefully you all know what I mean :)

Curious as to what oldplayers think of the rest of the bands current progression and or regression? Most criticism of newplay songs seems to be directed at, in no particular order, weak or empty lyrics, poor production choices, boring or repetitive song/chord progressions or structure, and lack of defining or memorable melodies( disclaimer: these are NOT my beliefs, just what I've seen here). Most of these things I think could be blamed on the frontman and lead songwriter, aka Chris Martin.. So my question to you guys and gals is, do you think musically speaking the rest of the band has done anything interesting or special in the last 8 years? Anything to suggest that they are progressing as musicians and are simply being held back by this desire to be mainstream?(again, mainly Chris's desire I believe). Just curious as to what your thoughts on the individual band members current state is.. Sorry if this is too long lol [emoji12]

Curious as to what oldplayers think of the rest of the bands current progression and or regression? Most criticism of newplay songs seems to be directed at, in no particular order, weak or empty lyrics, poor production choices, boring or repetitive song/chord progressions or structure, and lack of defining or memorable melodies( disclaimer: these are NOT my beliefs, just what I've seen here). Most of these things I think could be blamed on the frontman and lead songwriter, aka Chris Martin.. So my question to you guys and gals is, do you think musically speaking the rest of the band has done anything interesting or special in the last 8 years? Anything to suggest that they are progressing as musicians and are simply being held back by this desire to be mainstream?(again, mainly Chris's desire I believe). Just curious as to what your thoughts on the individual band members current state is.. Sorry if this is too long lol [emoji12]

The other three guys' situation imho is that Jonny is always great at finding the right guitar effects, he should try not to drag the same riff through the whole song.

Guy is always at a good level of quality, although he's going through a disco influeced period.

Will should go back to proper drums and leave this electronic influences go away

Will should go back to proper drums and leave this electronic influences go away

He did go back quite a few times throughout the album. But he's been drumming with real drums for 15 years before he went through his electronic era. I think he'd want to try something a little more experimental and new, don't you think? Doing the same thing for 15 years is boring. He got into electronic drums to try new stuff. He's combining both in this AHFOD album. That being said, I do think he's still using them a little to much, and decreasing the quality of some songs that were meant to have electronic drums. Ex: Everglow.

• Like 1

The other three guys' situation imho is that Jonny is always great at finding the right guitar effects, he should try not to drag the same riff through the whole song.

Guy is always at a good level of quality, although he's going through a disco influeced period.

I do understand, but Jonny does not always drag the same riff through the whole song. Okay, in ''Us Against The World'' ... That's right, but in the most of all, his riffs come back a few times and after that (mostly nearing the end of the song) he has an other riff (guitar solo).

• Like 2

Curious as to what oldplayers think of the rest of the bands current progression and or regression? Most criticism of newplay songs seems to be directed at, in no particular order, weak or empty lyrics, poor production choices, boring or repetitive song/chord progressions or structure, and lack of defining or memorable melodies( disclaimer: these are NOT my beliefs, just what I've seen here). Most of these things I think could be blamed on the frontman and lead songwriter, aka Chris Martin..

I am not agreeing or disagreeing, but would like to point out two aspects, one of which is my opinion:

- the rest of the band have grown as musicians, even CM himself... Their level of musicianship and confidence is miles ahead compared to previously.. Not surprising in itself, but this shouldn't take away from the fact that they are now more capable musicians than before

- has anyone else thought that the current direction is quite possibly the result of Chris Martin stepping back a notch, to allow the rest of the band more room to make contributions? In doing this, they have changed their old formula somewhat - previous Oldplay songs (particularly their earliest works) were mainly based off Chris + guitar / piano writing his song, then the rest plugging in their parts; whereas now everyone has more equal contribution and the songs often take a different direction / is driven by one of the others - however unfortunately the 'magic' from CM is no longer as abundant due to this... This could also be related to him curbing some of those perfectionist/ neurotic tendencies as well.

This is where it becomes my opinion- idk whether CM is burnt out or whether there has been a conscious decision to step back a bit so that there is more room for the others - it could possibly be both. But I think the whole band accepts that they are still learning and growing (without actually explicitly saying it) to fill that void left by Chris stepping back a bit, that's why everyone seems happy with the progress they have made even though the quality lately is less even in quality than previously. Critics of course don't care as they only look at the output, not the process / inner workings of the band, but for me, I personally think it is healthy that they are exploring different roles and that the rest of the band is taking on more. As for the future, they can either return to their Chris-centric ways (if they are still able to), or continue to take risks and grow as a group and hopefully everyone else gets to eventually fill a bit of that hole left by Chris pulling back. I feel conflicted in this, I hope they can grow enough and have it in them to develop their styles and abilities altogether so that they no longer have to rely on CM alone to bring that 'magic' - imagine songs that hit you from other directions outside of Chris :D But at the same time I worry a bit that they won't be able to do well outside this established formula... I guess time will tell

• Like 3

I do understand, but Jonny does not always drag the same riff through the whole song. Okay, in ''Us Against The World'' ... That's right, but in the most of all, his riffs come back a few times and after that (mostly nearing the end of the song) he has an other riff (guitar solo).

Yeah he uses the same guitar riff for UATW but it really works out, it blends so well with the song and is a nice floater and has that "distant" feeling I guess that comes along with it, just works perfectly with a song like UATW even if it is the same riff, it's a great one.

• Like 1

I am not agreeing or disagreeing, but would like to point out two aspects, one of which is my opinion:

- the rest of the band have grown as musicians, even CM himself... Their level of musicianship and confidence is miles ahead compared to previously.. Not surprising in itself, but this shouldn't take away from the fact that they are now more capable musicians than before

- has anyone else thought that the current direction is quite possibly the result of Chris Martin stepping back a notch, to allow the rest of the band more room to make contributions? In doing this, they have changed their old formula somewhat - previous Oldplay songs (particularly their earliest works) were mainly based off Chris + guitar / piano writing his song, then the rest plugging in their parts; whereas now everyone has more equal contribution and the songs often take a different direction / is driven by one of the others - however unfortunately the 'magic' from CM is no longer as abundant due to this... This could also be related to him curbing some of those perfectionist/ neurotic tendencies as well.

This is where it becomes my opinion- idk whether CM is burnt out or whether there has been a conscious decision to step back a bit so that there is more room for the others - it could possibly be both. But I think the whole band accepts that they are still learning and growing (without actually explicitly saying it) to fill that void left by Chris stepping back a bit, that's why everyone seems happy with the progress they have made even though the quality lately is less even. Critics of course don't care as they only look at the output, not the process / inner workings of the band, but for me, I personally think it is healthy that they are exploring different roles and that the rest of the band is taking on more. As for the future, they can either return to their Chris-centric ways (if they are still able to), or continue to take risks and grow as a group and hopefully everyone else gets to eventually fill a bit of that hole left my Chris pulling back. I feel conflicted in this, I hope they can grow enough and have it in them to develop their styles and abilities altogether so that they no longer have to rely on CM alone to bring that 'magic' - imagine songs that hit you from other directions outside of Chris :D But at the same time I worry a bit that they won't be able to do well outside this established formula... I guess time will tell

Don't forget, this pop direction is pretty much all because of Chris' musical tastes gradually changing from alt-rock to pop. Simple. You see, back in the old days, he loved alt-rock, that's why he made that genre of music. It's clear now that he likes pop better, so surprise surprise, the frontman of the band's musical tastes change, their output changes. Simple as that. The other band members still have great musical tastes and that's why we see Coldplay haven't gone completely pop yet. They still can pull off the masterpiece like Birds and the classics like Amazing Day. Even though that one isn't really a "classic" Coldplay song, I bet you it would have if it was written back in the old days of Coldplay. It has that vibe to it. But anyway, the reason we don't consider Coldplay straight pop yet (at least some of us) is because of the other band members who have other plans, other than pop. Just wanted to say that. :)

Yeah he uses the same guitar riff for UATW but it really works out, it blends so well with the song and is a nice floater and has that "distant" feeling I guess that comes along with it, just works perfectly with a song like UATW even if it is the same riff, it's a great one.

Exactly! What I love is when Jonny has a riff which is not the most exciting one but it fits so well in the song! That is Jonny! So, thats kind of the same like you said :)

• Like 1

HLH, ETIAW, Major Minus... He + his magical riffs is the main reason why I say MX is my favourite Coldplay album

But the overproduction drowns out Jonny's (horribly compressed) guitar. It's very hard to enjoy something which is barely audible over unnecessary and gratuitous synth sounds.

• Like 2

Don't forget, this pop direction is pretty much all because of Chris' musical tastes gradually changing from alt-rock to pop. Simple. You see, back in the old days, he loved alt-rock, that's why he made that genre of music. It's clear now that he likes pop better, so surprise surprise, the frontman of the band's musical tastes change, their output changes. Simple as that. The other band members still have great musical tastes and that's why we see Coldplay haven't gone completely pop yet. They still can pull off the masterpiece like Birds and the classics like Amazing Day. Even though that one isn't really a "classic" Coldplay song, I bet you it would have if it was written back in the old days of Coldplay. It has that vibe to it. But anyway, the reason we don't consider Coldplay straight pop yet (at least some of us) is because of the other band members who have other plans, other than pop. Just wanted to say that. :)

But why does no one ever blame Phil? He chose Love Me Harder by Ariana Grande and The Weeknd for the CAC question after all. :wink3: :D

I guess they all have quite varied tastes in music. Chris has always cited pop influences/inspirations as well (a-ha, Justin Timberlake...), even in the earlier days.

• Like 3

But the overproduction drowns out Jonny's (horribly compressed) guitar. It's very hard to enjoy something which is barely audible over unnecessary and gratuitous synth sounds.

Sorry, I can hear them very clear in all the songs @gentleparachute mentioned. Also, the "unnecessary and gratuitous synth sounds" aren't really unnecessary. I really love them, and MX's synths are some of the best IMO.

The only song that's really "overproduced" in MX is DLIBYH. I love the production on all of the other tracks, even if these MX songs are stadium tracks with massive amounts of layers and it's produced quite a bit. It's fine with me, the production just fits perfectly with those tracks even if it is a lot. However I do love the quiet, small production of the early albums as well. They're special to me, since I also like the simple production. It has this magic to it... I don't know. Sometimes less is more, and the production proves it. :D I love both. The production fails on AHFOD though, to a degree. But I only hearing problems with DLIBYH... honestly, why are they burying Chris vocals XD

• Like 2

The fact of Jonny riffs I was saying before doesn't that his riffs are awful. I've already said in another topic that one of the only good things on AHFOD are the guitars, despite having this riff repetition issue that I don't like (in fact it started with ETIAW).

Just saying, Birds is a good song and one of the reasons is that Jonny makes a variation during the last part of the song and makes ambience sounds in the first and second verse. He doesn't repeat the same thing all over again like in AOAL for example: it is a great riff, but you can't do the same thing for a WHOLE song, except for special cases.

The Will's electronic drums issue is that he kept doing this for 3 albums (starting with Up In Flames). It works for a couple of songs (for example in All Your Friends), but being experimental doesn't mean he need to abandon proper drums. He tried something different since Viva La Vida (the song), maybe he could try bongos, tribal percussion or perhaps simply try different metrics and changes of rhythm during the songs (like he did with Glass Of Water and Death And All His Friends)

• Like 2

The fact of Jonny riffs I was saying before doesn't that his riffs are awful. I've already said in another topic that one of the only good things on AHFOD are the guitars, despite having this riff repetition issue that I don't like (in fact it started with ETIAW).

Just saying, Birds is a good song and one of the reasons is that Jonny makes a variation during the last part of the song and makes ambience sounds in the first and second verse. He doesn't repeat the same thing all over again like in AOAL for example: it is a great riff, but you can't do the same thing for a WHOLE song, except for special cases.

The Will's electronic drums issue is that he kept doing this for 3 albums (starting with Up In Flames). It works for a couple of songs (for example in All Your Friends), but being experimental doesn't mean he need to abandon proper drums. He tried something different since Viva La Vida (the song), maybe he could try bongos, tribal percussion or perhaps simply try different metrics and changes of rhythm during the songs (like he did with Glass Of Water and Death And All His Friends)

Well starting with Princess of China but whatevs lol. But mainly Mylo had real drums, so you can't count that album. You have Princess of China and Up In Flames, can't think of any others off the top of my head that don't use real drums. By that logic if you're saying Mylo has electronic drums because of one song, you can count Viva too (Lost!). He really started using electronic drums in GS though. But I would like to see even better from him -- as you said, bongos, tribal percussion, or just different metrics and changes of rhythm. It'd be great to see that from him.

The riff repetition issue is a bit of an issue. That's one of the minuses of ETIAW; it has a sick guitar riff but it'd be even better if there was more variation in it's riffs.

I do agree, Jonny really shines in this new album. Every band member does. Birds is literally perfect, can't find a problem, and one of the pluses includes that he does a lot of different guitar work. The way he does it is just so dreamy and has a floating feel to it, which suits the song perfectly and is a lovely guitar style. There's also a lot of variation, as in the ambience as well. Lovely guitar work in that one.... the song gets better as I listen to it, and most of us have agreed so far that Birds is the star of this album. Amazing guitar work... wish it was more all over the album. :heart:

As for AOAL, there's a remake of it actually that varies the guitar riff quite a bit, and it also has this "floating" feel to it that the original version doesn't. Essentially it's AOAL Birds-ified. It's lovely. I recommend checking it out, also removed the vocal effects. It's perfect. I don't know why Coldplay didn't think of that version and put it on the album since it's so amazing! :D

Sorry, I disagree.

Production value has tanked pretty badly (GS imo is the best produced out of the three). It's subjective up to a point. You can claim that the slight distortion on Chris's reverb (ex. UFO, Up With The Birds being the two that come to mind) is artistic license but Will's percussion across the board is pathetic to say the least on AHFOD. AOAL in particular doesn't even try to hide the compression on his cymbals. (Opinion incoming) The soundstage of AHFOD, instrumental samples, and mastering are at an all time low for the band. Hiring Zoolander and Butthead or whatever their names are has been to date the biggest mistake they've made on personnel.

• Like 2

Guest kmm1482
After listening to shuffled CP tracks on a 2 hour journey today - I've realised I much prefer the old stuff to the new.

I better join this thread. :nod: :nod: :nod:

Come on in! Pull up a chair! Favorite pre-MX song?? A or B side

Guest kmm1482
Production value has tanked pretty badly (GS imo is the best produced out of the three). It's subjective up to a point. You can claim that the slight distortion on Chris's reverb (ex. UFO, Up With The Birds being the two that come to mind) is artistic license but Will's percussion across the board is pathetic to say the least on AHFOD. AOAL in particular doesn't even try to hide the compression on his cymbals. (Opinion incoming) The soundstage of AHFOD, instrumental samples, and mastering are at an all time low for the band. Hiring Zoolander and Butthead or whatever their names are has been to date the biggest mistake they've made on personnel.

I agree with that last part. They put their creativity and faith into a hitmaker not an outside the box thinker like a Jon Hopkins or an Eno. It's basically "you want a radio hit so as to stay relevant? Let us produce your next album"