✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Fun (feat Tove Lo)

Coeurli

One of the very best songs of this album and they don't play it live :smiley:

:smiley:

Imagine Will would sing Tove Lo's part, he could totally bring that :smiley:

But that won't ever happen :smiley:

:smiley:

when are we ever going to get a song where the duet is Chris and Will... and like Will gets his own solo parts, not just backing...

can we write a strongly worded letter to Coldplay? :P

• Like 3

when are we ever going to get a song where the duet is Chris and Will... and like Will gets his own solo parts, not just backing...

that is very coldplay of you.

That's actually how they originally wanted to do Princess of China, but they changed it because they thought his was better for a female singer like Rihanna.

• 1 month later...

Really wished they would have played this song on tour.

http://musicfeeds.com.au/features/sexuality-femininity-individuality-tove-lo-talks-the-inspiration-behind-new-album-lady-wood/

Sexuality, Femininity & Individuality: Tove Lo Talks The Inspiration Behind New Album ‘Lady Wood’

Tove-Lo-671x377.jpg

Tove Lo may be the busiest person in pop music. Even if she only released her first solo song of the year Cool Girl in August, we’ve heard from her repeatedly throughout the whole year with multiple features. She added power to Flume’s Say It, sex to Years & Years’ Desire, emotion to Broods’ Freak Of Nature and sentimentality to Coldplay’s Fun.

It’s a hugely diverse list of features but Lo’s personal style is so strong that her aesthetic is the same no matter whether she’s singing a soaring ballad or a glitchy electronic track.

“It’s a whirlwind,” Lo says about her insane schedule on the phone from Toronto where she’s just bolted from the airport to her hotel room in time for the phone call. Despite clearly being run off her feet, there’s no negativity from her side, in fact, it’s quite the opposite.

“It’s been so amazing,” she adds.

Starting as a writer, the Swedish artist was shot very suddenly into the spotlight when the Hippie Sabotage remix of her track Habits (Stay High) shot into the top 10 in both the UK and here in Australia. Her debut album Queen Of The Clouds came very soon after and then she bagged a hit in the often impenetrable market of the US with Talking Body. A whirlwind first album can often be enough to throw an artist off track but for Lo, it hasn’t even rattled her.

She spent the next two years after the release of her debut touring and collaborating with her favourite artists, one of them being our very own Flume. She teamed up with him for Say It, Flume’s biggest pop moment on his second record Skin.

“People who have reached out to me are all people I’ve been huge fans of,” she says of the collaboration.

“Flume, I’ve been listening to for years and he reached out and I was like, ‘is this for real?’ I feel very honoured to be asked to write or work with people because it means that they trust me…at the time I wasn’t a big name, it was only because they liked what I wrote and that meant a lot.”

As a fan, she was the most “nervous” to work with Flume of all her collaborators, despite also holing up in the studio with Coldplay’s Chris Martin, a band she’s been “listening to since High School.”

Somehow in between a hectic touring schedule and big-name collaborations, she found the time to record her second and most cohesive record Lady Wood.

While the debut album was a critical and commercial success, album number two truly feels like her chance to say exactly what she wants to say. She wrote and recorded the LP between Sweden and LA, with an intense writing camp in Nicaragua.

From the throbbing, powerful lead single Cool Girl to the sensual Don’t Talk To Me, it’s a confident celebration of sexuality, femininity and individuality.

“I had so much inspiration I just needed to get it all out of me,” she says.

“I want it to be very raw, I want it to be not retouched. I don’t like the word provocative but I guess that’s what it is – sexy and proud. I have people I work with that can read my mind sometimes.”

Sexy and proud may be the best description of the album – two words that may not have necessarily shone through on the first album. It’s one that explores the juxtaposition between the light and dark, taking the sunny setting of LA to explore some of the darker sides of relationships and fame.

“My favourite things are those contrasts ‘cos that’s how I feel all the time, it’s always like that. It’s an emotional rollercoaster,” she explains.

“The album is all about emotional rushes, doing things that terrify you but turn you on a bit. It’s kind of like feeling the most alive at all times. I think when you have those really intense highs, you’re always going to get the lows and I want to write about both.”

One thing that’s sure to grab people’s attention is the album title Lady Wood, perhaps the strongest statement to grace an album title this year. Very literally, lady wood is a female hard-on but it’s got far more layers than that.

“I feel music and sex are very connected,” says Lo, decoding the album title.

“When you say to someone be brave it’s ‘grow some balls’ and when someone’s being a coward it’s ‘don’t be a pussy’, and when someone’s cool and strong it’s, ‘a chick with balls’. I’d rather say we have lady wood.”

For Lo, it’s about reclaiming a certain strength and power that’s too often subconsciously and consciously attributed to males. If you’ve seen the simultaneously playful, creepy and sexy video for Cool Girl, you’ll know exactly the strength that she’s talking about. She’s an in control pop star in an industry that so often attempts to strip individuality from its biggest names.

Lo knows all too well the way the industry tries to “polish” and “shave” your personality. This album is about doing it the way she wants to do it.

“I had to be open about what I stand for,” she says.

“I’m going to remember that when my gut tells me it’s wrong, it’s wrong. If you keep sacrificing yourself all the time, you get lost in the middle of it.”

As scary as it is to take control, it’s resulted in her strongest artistic output to date.

“There’s nothing to fear in the things I’m afraid of,” Lo sings in album track Imaginary Friend and that may be the biggest takeaway from Lady Wood.

• Like 2

She definitely sounds like one of the more genuine mainstream artists out there, her on Fun was amazing and so underrated. Wish she sang more though. Disappointing she doesn't have a part on her own. That's the only takeaway from the song for me, other than it being a bit short in comparison to the awesome extended version that @SprayCanSoulGuy made and that the chord progression used is quite common... (Which isn't that bad, I mean the point is the song sounds nice and if it achieves that I couldn't care less how "mainstream" or "poppy" the track sounds. That being said it is easier to appreciate really artistic, creative and innovative tracks even if they don't necessarily hit home as good as a little more "normal" tracks. Which is why I consider Coldplay my overall favorite artist but I can admit from an artistic standpoint Radiohead is superior, they have much more critical acclaim as well...)

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
I know it's an old thread, but with tove lo opening for coldplay soon, are we going to get a surprise collaboration?

She already opened for most of the European leg, and unfortunately they never performed Fun together :(

I would have loved to hear the song as well, it's my favorite song of A Head Full OF Dreams.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've just started really listening to and liking this song which is particularly poignant given recent events. Maybe he never sang it because it was against the agreement he has with her? It's such a sad song though...the Icarus and sun part kill me.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi!

And, is there any rason why they didn´t play Fun?

I thought they will play it becaus Tove Lo was who oppened the concerts...

I remember the deception in Frankfurt waiting Fun to be played.

I thought the could played it in the oppening with Tove Lo, whithout needing of modify the rest o the setlist.

Has anyone a explanation about why they didn´t play Fun? Has Coldplay or Chris said something in an interview?

• Like 2

Hi!

And, is there any rason why they didn´t play Fun?

I thought they will play it becaus Tove Lo was who oppened the concerts...

I remember the deception in Frankfurt waiting Fun to be played.

I thought the could played it in the oppening with Tove Lo, whithout needing of modify the rest o the setlist.

Has anyone a explanation about why they didn´t play Fun? Has Coldplay or Chris said something in an interview?

This is pure speculation, but-

Tove Lo mentioned in an interview that when Chris sent her the song for her to sing on, Tove Lo took the initiative to change some of the lyrics to make it her own (for whatever reason, maybe she didn't like them? I don't blame her if that's the case) But Chris said that the lyrics are personal to him and he didn't want to change them.

So perhaps Chris and/or Tove Lo didn't end up agreeing on/liking the song?

Having said that, even though I don't particularly like the song, it would have been cool to see them sing it together once. But then again, it wasn't a prominent song on the album, and it might just be one of those songs that the band felt didn't work in with a live show, like Twisted Logic or Up With The Birds.

Agree with Zero. Its such a mid-tempo track that its hard to imagine where it would fit in to a 2-hour setlist. It is shocking that they didn't play it while touring together -- even an acoustic version. I mean Chris came out to do Homesick with Dua Lipa for god's sake. Not to add even more speculation, but I wonder if they just straight up don't get along hahaha. Maybe there's bad blood between her and the band? I'm sure many of you disagree, but I thought her last album was objectively painful to listen to.

So it's no surprise then that Fun is my least favorite track on AHFOD, but I could see it being really elevated in a live performance with a more straightforward play style and less schmaltzy production. My second least favorite song is definitely Army of One, and I though the live performences of that were stellar. It's definitely a pity.

• Like 1

Agree with Zero. Its such a mid-tempo track that its hard to imagine where it would fit in to a 2-hour setlist. It is shocking that they didn't play it while touring together -- even an acoustic version. I mean Chris came out to do Homesick with Dua Lipa for god's sake. Not to add even more speculation, but I wonder if they just straight up don't get along hahaha. Maybe there's bad blood between her and the band? I'm sure many of you disagree, but I thought her last album was objectively painful to listen to.

So it's no surprise then that Fun is my least favorite track on AHFOD, but I could see it being really elevated in a live performance with a more straightforward play style and less schmaltzy production. My second least favorite song is definitely Army of One, and I though the live performences of that were stellar. It's definitely a pity.

Army Of One is a favorite of mine, same with Fun. I honestly cannot dislike any track of AHFOD, it just baffles me how some people can, I just don't understand it from their perceptive.

• Like 3

I don't think there is anything to necessarily suggest there is "bad blood" between Tove Lo and Coldplay. I mean they liked each other enough to a collaboration. And the group of people that Coldplay collaborate is a very small and prestigious group lol.

It's possible that the song just soured on Coldplay/Tove Lo over time, or it just never worked out. Just like how there was that thing about Hypnotised and the app being used for a live performance, and that never really panned out. Or that the Twisted Logic Tour DVD or VLV DVD never came out. I guess sometimes things just don't happen with the band, even when they were planned previously.

Army Of One is a favorite of mine, same with Fun. I honestly cannot dislike any track of AHFOD, it just baffles me how some people can, I just don't understand it from their perceptive.

I can't speak for others that don't like AHFOD, but I think the reason I don't like a lot of songs on AHFOD is because they completely pale in comparison to Coldplay's previous work. It's not that Fun and Army of One and Amazing Day are bad songs, they just don't live up to most of their previous music, in my opinion.

I will say, the title track and Birds are as good as Coldplay get. The rest of the album doesn't nearly live up to those first 2 songs for me. The album is on such a great trajectory from those 2 songs, then it just devolves into like meh overproduced pop music. Up&Up is a solid closer though, and there are some other pretty moments like Everglow and Amazing Day. But it's mostly just underwhelming.

• Like 2

I can't speak for others that don't like AHFOD, but I think the reason I don't like a lot of songs on AHFOD is because they completely pale in comparison to Coldplay's previous work. It's not that Fun and Army of One and Amazing Day are bad songs, they just don't live up to most of their previous music, in my opinion.

I will say, the title track and Birds are as good as Coldplay get. The rest of the album doesn't nearly live up to those first 2 songs for me. The album is on such a great trajectory from those 2 songs, then it just devolves into like meh overproduced pop music. Up&Up is a solid closer though, and there are some other pretty moments like Everglow and Amazing Day. But it's mostly just underwhelming.

I see. I know music is 100% subjective, but I don’t know what you mean by pale to previous work. Maybe it’s from my ADHD and Autistic stuff. IDK

I see. I know music is 100% subjective, but I don’t know what you mean by pale to previous work. Maybe it’s from my ADHD and Autistic stuff. IDK

It's kind of a weird English phrase I don't even know why I used it :joy:

Basically I'm just saying that I don't find a bunch of the AHFOD songs to be nearly as good or enjoyable as most of the band's previous songs.

And yes music is 100% subjective. The beauty of music is that you can love AHFOD while I can not love AHFOD, and neither of us are right or wrong!

• Like 1

I am glad you like AHFOD and those tracks! If somebody doesn't enjoy something that you do, you should never feel sorry for yourself!

After all, I WISH i could enjoy Fun and Army of One -- they just aren't to my taste. I'm jealous that you enjoy them :)

I am glad you like AHFOD and those tracks! If somebody doesn't enjoy something that you do, you should never feel sorry for yourself!

After all, I WISH i could enjoy Fun and Army of One -- they just aren't to my taste. I'm jealous that you enjoy them :)

Army of one is even better reversed. And I do enjoy XMTS, as it's very catchy, if it wasn't I would't like it. Fun is also my number one favorite from AHFOD and I do wish it was a single.

• Like 1

Army of one is even better reversed. And I do enjoy XMTS, as it's very catchy, if it wasn't I would't like it. Fun is also my number one favorite from AHFOD and I do wish it was a single.

I was just going to ask if you had seen Midnight reversed, but then I saw you had commented on it on YouTube already haha. This one might be my favorite reversed.

• Like 1